• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Famitsu Details (NPC Names and Bios)

Neptonic

Finally, Reebal is a member of the bird-like Rito tribe which lives in the skies of Hyrule. He is spotted wearing the same blue scarf as Darkel and Mifa, and each of them also wield different weapons.
To everyone who told me that the falco lookin dude wasn't Rito in that one thread, and the Rito aren't actually bird people too, get rekt.

Nepenthe

To everyone who told me that the falco lookin dude wasn't Rito in that one thread, and the Rito aren't actually bird people too, get rekt.

I'm still surprised on the insistence that they weren't Rito because they look more bird-like. I mean, Zora haven't been red-colored sharks with bodies growing from their stomachs before, but I don't think anyone was caught off guard.

ckaneo

How come we never see different variations of Gorons? Why do they always have to look the same?

Except we do. There are Goron that can be mountain size.

The differences is that in this game they added variations of species of fish and birds. Which goron do not have for obvious reasons

Avixph

Except we do. There are Goron that can be mountain size.

The differences is that in this game they added variations of species of fish and birds. Which goron do not have for obvious reasons
What are those reasons? There are different types of rock formations in the world so there should be different variations of Gorons.

I truly don't understand the appeal of debating timeline therories....It's literally the last thing the developers really care about...They are going to write whatever they want that works for the game's story... It's practically just fan fiction, which makes debate moot.
The developers actually do care. Zelda 2 was a sequel, A Link to the Past was a prequel which ended up getting a handful of sequels, OoT was supposed to be a prequel to aLttP but gave an ending which didn't fit, Majora's mask is a direct sequel following the events caused by Link snitching on Ganon which sets up Twilight Princess, Wind Waker is caused by Link being wiped from the timeline after defeating Ganon in OOT and that received two sequels, and Skyward Sword is an origin story that explains why Link, Zelda, and a villain keep popping up.
Who stands with their pelvis so forward like that
Someone who has a lot of sex.

RagnarokX

Well they could safely keep going in the WW timeline, the issue is that they would have to sacrifice Ganon and the triforce theme, since he's permanantly dead in that timine. I would honestly prefer that though, because of Skyward Sword they have basically turned him into Wile E. Coyote. Or more relevantly, a slightly more serious Bowser.
That's not really an issue. Pretty much the point of the Child Timeline is to not be confined by traditional conventions. Which is why trying to shove BotW into it or converge the timelines is so silly. They'd gain nothing and limit future possibilities.
This argument always comes up in every Zelda thread. It is false.
It's really amazing how many people love the series but can't be bothered to pay the extremely small amount of attention necessary to understand how the games fit together. It's not even actually complicated. There are very few games that didn't take the timeline seriously.

The Kokiri and the Koroks are the same beings. They(Koroks) took on the form of the Kokiri so Link would fell at home with people that looked like him. They never evolved to from Kokiri to Korok. So I doubt we would see both.

What? No. Kokiri evolved to Korok in order to be able to fly and survive the great flood.

iFirez

Kokiri and Koroks are forest spirits, they don't evolve, they take on different forms.
This is correct.

"Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes. Now they fear people... but to me, they will ever be my cherished little children."
Direct quote from Wind Waker.

It does specifically say "when they came to live on the sea" but that doesn't mean this isn't a form they use for other means too. It could be purely to spread seeds around Hyrule in a quicker way (being more able to traverse the land by flying around in the winds). Obviously they trevesed the great sea in this form to take seeds to different island but in BoTW they could be spreading the seeds to try to help Hyrule flurish again after... although nature seems to be doing pretty well by it's self.

udivision

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if this game actually has party members the way they're talking about these guys fighting...

We've seen they created ally AI's. I'm sure they'll show up for fights outside of cutscenes, but you probably don't manage them or anything.

Boem

How come we never see different variations of Gorons? Why do they always have to look the same?

guardian.jpg

200px-OOT_darunia.jpg

majora_gorons.jpg

latest

I feel like we've gotten quite a variety of Gorons over the years.

SalvaPot

This is correct.

"Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes. Now they fear people... but to me, they will ever be my cherished little children."

It does specifically say "when they came to live on the sea" but that doesn't mean this isn't a form they use for other means too. It could be purely to spread seeds around Hyrule in a quicker way (being more able to traverse the land by flying around in the winds). Obviously they trevesed the great sea in this form to take seeds to different island but in BoTW they could be spreading the seeds to try to help Hyrule flurish again after... although nature seems to be doing pretty well by it's self.

So, in theory, they could take the form of an adult person? I guess my friend obsessed with Saria was right all along.

iFirez

So, in theory, they could take the form of an adult person? I guess my friend obsessed with Saria was right all along.
In theory, yes. However we've only seen two forms, Kokiri and Korok. The Deku Tree often calls them his children though, so I doubt we'd ever see them as adults; especially as Kokiri are forever children too.

KiN0

I really like those designs, and the idea that there is some kind of secret society protecting hyrule is very promising from a story perspective. My main worry is that these characters are never/rarely going to interact with one another. They'll just be dungeon guides or something.

Worst case scenario for would be that they end up like that resistance force from TP.

Neptonic

Lol - I always thought the Rito in Wind Waker we're just people that had fake bird noses attached to them like masks, because they idolized birds so much lol
I was shocked when people started telling me they weren't like a race of bird people. Like they have wings, beaks, and can literally fly. What else could they possibly be.

Boem

I was shocked when people started telling me they weren't like a race of bird people. Like they have wings, beaks, and can literally fly. What else could they possibly be.

It's been years since I played it (but I played it a lot, I had free time in those days), but I'm pretty sure they even talk about being actual bird people in the game.

RagnarokX

They don't have wings. When they reach a certain age Valoo gives them a magic scale that let's them turn their arms into wings. Like the scales Link uses in games to get powers.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about inheriting the weapons of these key NPCs as kind of an ultimate weapon, which got me wondering...are bows breakable in this game? Would there be any reason to get the Rito's bow?

I really like those designs, and the idea that there is some kind of secret society protecting hyrule is very promising from a story perspective. My main worry is that these characters are never/rarely going to interact with one another. They'll just be dungeon guides or something.

Worst case scenario for would be that they end up like that resistance force from TP.

Yep. I'm playing through TPHD right now for my second playthrough of TP, and I just got to the point where Telma hints at the resistance existing. It's such a fantastic and interesting idea, but I know that it ultimately ends up being disappointing in its execution. I'm not sure what I want from them as a group, but I hope BotW finds a way of maintaining the excitement I felt when TP first introduced the idea. Perhaps I'm hoping for more collaboration. Make it feel like there's a plan, and with everyone playing to their strengths and fulfilling their roles, Hyrule can be saved.

iFirez

They're actually more like the Dodo, they're flightless humanoid birds until Valoo grants them a scale which gives them wings when they come of age. We could theorise that with enough time and environmental factors the Rito could evolve to have wings from birth but enough time probably hadn't passed from them shedding their water bound bodies in Wind Waker for this process to begin yet.

This is correct.

I don't really think that's the case.

In The Wind Waker the parallelism is quite evident. Koroks are related to Kokiris the same way that Ritos are related to Zoras. And Fado is related to Makar the same way that Laruto is related to Medli.

If Zoras evolved to Ritos in order to fly and be able to travel through the islands it is quite obvious to think that Kokiris evolved to Koroks for the same reason. They even changed the name of the race.

We've seen they created ally AI's. I'm sure they'll show up for fights outside of cutscenes, but you probably don't manage them or anything.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing the knight in a trailer fighting a moblin. I wouldn't expect managing them, but it seems like it'd make sense story wise if even just Zelda hung out with you actively fur awhile.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yes bows are breakable.

Ah. Well, in that case, I like the idea of getting unbreakable weapons from these characters. I wonder if the Gerudo woman will turn out to be one of these, even though she doesn't seem to have the scarf.

I hope the Great Fairies will give unbreakable versions of the various magic rods you can find.

NeonZ

It won't be. There are no train tracks and Ganon is alive which puts the kibosh on that theory. The
Rito
and koroks could exist in any timeline where Ganon wins as that was the event that spurred their evolution so the fallen timeline is still the most likely.

If it's Wind Waker's timeline, it'd take place over the former Great Sea, with the land brought back by the Korok's seeds, not in the new Hyrule created by WW Link and Tetra.

Aonuma said that similarities to WW were chosen for aesthetic reasons and they share no connection scenario-wise.

He technically just says that there's no 'particular connection' between the two games, which would still fit with it taking place in the future of Wind Waker's timeline. If this game takes place in the future of Wind Waker's timeline, Ganon's past invasion, the hero's fall and the current crisis - the game's entire plot would be basically unrelated to Wind Waker.

brad-t

That's good but most of them still have the same looking face and a sumo wrestler physique.

Well that's kinda their thing. The Zora are fish people and the Rito are bird people, which are pretty flexible ideas. I don't see how you could change the Goron design without turning them into something else entirely.

Avixph

Well yeah, did you not play Twilight Princess? They leaned hard into the sumo wrestler thing...

Not to mention:

Well that's kinda their thing. The Zora are fish people and the Rito are bird people, which are pretty flexible ideas. I don't see how you could change the Goron design without turning them into something else entirely.
I jut want to see more variations especially some that dependant on the environment that the Goron is living.

Top Bottom