• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

So I keep checking Amazon Warehouse, and I keep seeing that Eiffel Tower. What is Amazon thinking with that price? BL has it for like, $650, new. I wish I could contact Amazon and be like, "Yo guys, FYI - that won't sell."

OK, it might sell...But I'm not PROUD of the fact that it might sell at that price.

Also, I'm contemplating my next purchase (during the wonderful double VIP). Given the current availability of sets, it will either be a modular (Pet Shop, Town Hall, Cinema), or the Tower Bridge. My concern regarding the Tower Bridge is that it does pop up on Amazon Warehouse. That and since I already own the Death Star and SSD, there aren't any other mega sets that I can think of being available at the moment.
If you go modular, get Pet Shop. But I would suggest Tower Bridge. It is no longer in catalogs (so it is a goner very soon), giant, and cheap considering the piece count. Also it will net the most VIP points during the event.

Dragoshi1

I saw some of the Lego Creator sets you guys mentioned, like Log Cabin and Apple Tree House while at a store yesterday, but the T-Rex Hunter set has been on my mind ever since.

I saw it for $36.00 here, but I'm not sure as to the legitimacy of it, the seller has sold tons of stuff since account creation, and apparently has sold the T-Rex Hunter set many times, but I'm being cautious.

The average price for it online seems to be around 80+ dollars, and Bricklink has them in the 50$+ range. That's my main reason of caution; $36.00 seems like a steal. As in, too good to be true.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you go modular, get Pet Shop. But I would suggest Tower Bridge. It is no longer in catalogs (so it is a goner very soon), giant, and cheap considering the piece count. Also it will net the most VIP points during the event.

You think it's worth just biting at the price vs waiting for a Warehouse deal? If so, that's probably what I'll plan. Pet Shop has some shelf life still, yeah? Because I'm going to want that X-Wing as well...But that WILL be brand new, so it will have at least 1.5 years I think?

You think it's worth just biting at the price vs waiting for a Warehouse deal? If so, that's probably what I'll plan. Pet Shop has some shelf life still, yeah? Because I'm going to want that X-Wing as well...But that WILL be brand new, so it will have at least 1.5 years I think?

I would think the warehouse deals on Tower Bridge would be winding down now and speculators snatching it up whenever they can since it will probably be gone in a few months.
Pet Shop I would think you have until the end of the year or so.

Of course, the fact that Fire Brigade is still kicking around throws timing out the window.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I would think the warehouse deals on Tower Bridge would be winding down now and speculators snatching it up whenever they can since it will probably be gone in a few months.
Pet Shop I would think you have until the end of the year or so.

Of course, the fact that Fire Brigade is still kicking around throws timing out the window.

I really think the fact that we are all jumping back on board has extended the life for a lot of these sets.

I like to think it is LEGO messing with speculators.

I think speculators thought it was going OOP and swarmed in for the kill and bought them in a frenzy. I know that was my first modular for that reason so I wouldn't have to buy aftermarket. LEGO said, hey there is still demand for this and since we use only in production pieces we can easily make more sets. Plastic bubble will be cracking soon and speculators will have to be much more selective in the future.

I like to think it is LEGO messing with speculators.

I saw some of the Lego Creator sets you guys mentioned, like Log Cabin and Apple Tree House while at a store yesterday, but the T-Rex Hunter set has been on my mind ever since.

I saw it for $36.00 here, but I'm not sure as to the legitimacy of it, the seller has sold tons of stuff since account creation, and apparently has sold the T-Rex Hunter set many times, but I'm being cautious.

The average price for it online seems to be around 80+ dollars, and Bricklink has them in the 50$+ range. That's my main reason of caution; $36.00 seems like a steal. As in, too good to be true.

Trust your feelings. That's a $70 MSRP set. $50 must be used sets if it's that low on Bricklink.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally finished tower bridge today. We started it the week before Christmas, but my son lost interest in his half and its sat there half completed since. So I finished it off. I think the cheese overdose was too much for him.

ghostmind

Finally finished tower bridge today. We started it the week before Christmas, but my son lost interest in his half and its sat there half completed since. So I finished it off. I think the cheese overdose was too much for him.

So much cheese, for not a lot of cheddar.

What type of set is Orthanc going to be? Like a ~$150 set like Helm's Deep with some minifigures, or an architecture set, or what? I tried to google it and only got fan made ones. Some of them were amazing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What type of set is Orthanc going to be? Like a ~$150 set like Helm's Deep with some minifigures, or an architecture set, or what? I tried to google it and only got fan made ones. Some of them were amazing.

Something like this

lego_lotr_closeup.jpg
images

Strangely I have no real interest in Orthanc. Bring on the big beasts of Middle-Earth!

7et8OXg.jpg

Also finished the Caribbean Clipper, which was my last pirate set. I remember not really planning to get it, but there was an offer in some kind of book club so you could get it cheaper. It was one of the first things I ever bought on mail order.

It's nice that they gave us two ships in this line, but it's obvious that they were cutting corners like crazy on the Clipper. To start with, it's a tub and looks fairly ridiculous next to the Barracuda. There are four cannon ports but only two cannons. There's no proper cabin. There are no double decks. The smaller mast is quite nerfed. Even the torches don't have lights in them.

However, it's relatively iconic on its own, and I like the colour scheme. I think these three will stay built for quite some time now. The rest, I'll probably just sort out the pieces for and stash away.

Next, I have a bunch of Space sets and the parking garage that I intend to build, but those will have to wait a bit.

rallaren

http://i.imgur.com/7et8OXg.jpg

Also finished the Caribbean Clipper, which was my last pirate set. I remember not really planning to get it, but there was an offer in some kind of book club so you could get it cheaper. It was one of the first things I ever bought on mail order.

It's nice that they gave us two ships in this line, but it's obvious that they were cutting corners like crazy on the Clipper. To start with, it's a tub and looks fairly ridiculous next to the Barracuda. There are four cannon ports but only two cannons. There's no proper cabin. There are no double decks. The smaller mast is quite nerfed. Even the torches don't have lights in them.

However, it's relatively iconic on its own, and I like the colour scheme. I think these three will stay built for quite some time now. The rest, I'll probably just sort out the pieces for and stash away.

Next, I have a bunch of Space sets and the parking garage that I intend to build, but those will have to wait a bit.
Dang! Jealous meter just exploded.

I also had the Clipper. I liked it because it was a ship with pirates and stuff, the biggest lego set I had at the time. It fell down from a table once and I couldn't piece it back together properly and it's just a nightmare when I think back on it.

Dragoshi1

Trust your feelings. That's a $70 MSRP set. $50 must be used sets if it's that low on Bricklink.

Trusted my gut and went for the set on Bricklink that was about $53, with priority shipping came out to around $66, which seems right on the mark!

It will be coming soon I suppose, can't wait!

Also, went and got;

Marvel Super Heroes Wolverine's Chopper Showdown(Because it came with Deadpool!)
Dino Ambush Attack(Virtually the LAST Dino set in the TRU I went to)

rallaren

Also, went and got;

Marvel Super Heroes Wolverine's Chopper Showdown(Because it came with Deadpool!)
Dino Ambush Attack(Virtually the LAST Dino set in the TRU I went to)
What do you think about the Monster Fighters sets? They have werewolves, vampires and that stuff. They also have pieces and stickers that glow in the dark.

Dragoshi1

Didn't see any that caught my eye, but looking online I saw the Swampman, but didn't see it in stores.

I want a building next, so I may aim for the haunted house set, or one of the Lego Creator houses.

rallaren

Didn't see any that caught my eye, but looking online I saw the Swampman, but didn't see it in stores.

I want a building next, so I may aim for the haunted house set, or one of the Lego Creator houses.
I thought all sets of the theme looked stupid at first glance. The vampire's car and the castle looks pretty cool.

Edit: Ok so I just ordered the car.

I thought all sets of the theme looked stupid at first glance. The vampire's car and the castle looks pretty cool.

Edit: Ok so I just ordered the car.

It has been said a million times in this thread, but the castle is awesome. Clever furniture techniques plus a huge amount of "hidden" elements like traps and secret passages. It really was the most fun thing I built last year.

It has been said a million times in this thread, but the castle is awesome. Clever furniture techniques plus a huge amount of "hidden" elements like traps and secret passages. It really was the most fun thing I built last year.

I've looked past that set just because it looks sticker heavy. Does it make up for it elsewhere?

I've looked past that set just because it looks sticker heavy. Does it make up for it elsewhere?

I would say so. I think it would still be pretty striking without the extra glow-in-the-dark bits from the stickers, thanks to the spires and towers of various heights. The plethora of interior scenes make for tons of fun when you build it. Rodney Rathbone is a pimping minifigure, and the others are good too. The extra glow-in the dark surface area from the stickers is pretty cool, though. It's a nice imposing presence

It's also a good one to play with. It's left on my desk. I usually move a couple things around when I walk by. Rodeny's passed through all sorts of hazardous scenarios and so many random minifigs have blundered through for various bs reasons.

I really would love to mod the tower faces, though....

The stickers are mostly just a concession to reality. As badass as it would be to have this set with another 600 pieces of brickbuilt detail lining the exterior walls (and oh my god it would be the greatest thing), some of us paupers are willing to compromise. There are enough gigantic sets I'll never be able to afford. Leave a few upper-middle price bracket sets that I can actually get and in a year or two I'll see about picking up pet shop.

orthanc is going to hurt. I just haven't decided if it breaks my heart or my wallet yet. But it'll probably be my heart, as I will play a most dangerous game of waiting as long as possible.

Urgh. My interest waned after Haunted House (too awesome. Have all the monsters now), but my desire for the set is rising again.

I'm in same boat. Haunted House is a must get. I'll only get Vampyre Castle if I find it on clearance of 30% or more. Waaaay too many other high priced sets still coming up. UCS, Orthanc, etc.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got LEGO City a few days early. Just did the first mission and drove right past the Grand Emporium.

This game is going to be great.

ghostmind

Also Vampyre Castle is a totally different build experience than the HH. Some might feel cheated by all the wall panels, but I had a lot of fun putting it together, and it looks great at Halloween.

Now that you have the Unexpected Gathering, would you have put it in there, or was it not enough to knock off the Sex-Wing or Gandalf Arrives?

Also you haven't built dat B-wing yet.
Unexpected Gathering would not jump in there. It looks great when done, but was just a shy bit below Gandalf Arrives for me. But after I get the B Wing in May I might have to change the list.

robjoh

7et8OXg.jpg

I do have the Barracuda, but not that clipper but I do recognize your complains from the Imperial flagship (which was not even wide enough to fit four cannons) and the Renegade Runner which only had one rotating cannon and no steering wheel.

However the price difference between these three ships might explain the reason :)

I do miss the old school pirate Lego and I do hope it will return again.

Lego City Undercover... man i'd really like to get that one sometime... wait, i need a Wii U first right? In that case, nevermind :( don't wanna spend that kinda cash right now when my current/last gen backlog is still at a hilariously huge size.

That white desk looks awesome, as does the rocking chair or wheelchair or whatever it's supposed to be

Got my catalog in the mail yesterday. Who wants my 10% coupon? I'm in the US so I'll mail to US/Canada or anywhere where I can just stick it in the mailbox without filling out forms at the post office.

First pm.

EDIT: It's spoken for.

Top Bottom