• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Lord of the Rings |OT| Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

mjc

Interested in this open world and what areas it covers. Would be cool if it moved along with you, letting you explore some of the combat-less areas. Like at first you can explore the shire, then Rivendell, then Moria, Lorien, Fangorn, etc.

Also, the deaths are going to be hilariously sad.

Can't wait to see how they handle Boromir.

The trademark LEGO humor is there for sure. I've already had a few chuckles at the cut scenes.

Exploring a mini-Shire in the Vita version right now.

It's safe to say all future LEGO games will also be 3DS ports. Every game TT Fusion has made on Vita thus far (3 LEGO games, and Spy Hunter) is a 3DS port.

And not only that, but the 3DS version of the game is actually an enhanced port of the DS version of the game. Pure laziness. The exact same thing happened in the first few years of the DS, there were GBA ports everywhere.

Takao

Banned
And not only that, but the 3DS version of the game is actually an enhanced port of the DS version of the game. Pure laziness. The exact same thing happened in the first few years of the DS, there were GBA ports everywhere.

Yo dog I heard you like ports so I ported a port of a reversioned console game so you can play a port while the game is a port.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
This looks most interesting. I wonder if any characters omitted from the trilogy will be included as bonus characters. The likes of Glorfindel, Erestor, Radagast, Tom and Goldberry, Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights, Ghân-buri-Ghân, Quickbeam, Beregond and so forth.

Not sure if this 3DS/Vita version is a DS port. There's a lot more going on, graphically, than I remember in LEGO Batman 2. Namely lighting and shadows.

Will you post some screenshots Reluctant-Hero? We'd appreciate it! :D

Hmm, not at my home computer to get then directly off of my Vita. I'll see what I can do with LiveTweet.

Edit: Bleh, keep getting an error (A0000301) when I attempt to LiveTweet screenshots over 3G. I'll upload some photos when I get home tonight.

Some pics as promised. Quoted for size.
2012-10-30-190336.jpg

2012-10-30-132736.jpg

2012-10-30-132348.jpg

2012-10-30-130607.jpg

Although the gameplay is so similar in all of these TT Lego games I really struggle to play the ones based on franchises I don't like - Harry Potter, LOTR.

Saying that I thought SWIII was one of the best thanks to the new game modes (hate the Clone Wars shite) maybe this will be worth a go.

Xander51

Looking at the back of the boxes of the 3DS and Vita versions at my local video game store today, they used copy which says "Explore the Open World of Middle Earth!" That's kind of annoying and might mislead some consumers since it doesn't have the open world of the console versions.

EDIT: Did a bit more digging on this and apparently the handheld versions do have little areas to explore between missions, just nothing as vast as the console versions. Guess that's the mini-shire Reluctant Hero was referring to earlier!

Xander51

I picked this up on Vita and it's surprisingly good, easily my favorite TT Fusion game so far. I really enjoy the little exploration hubs...it's nowhere near the scale of Lego Batman 2, but it reminds me somewhat of the original Lego Harry Potter.

DodgerSan

Edmond Dantès;43781676 said:
This looks most interesting. I wonder if any characters omitted from the trilogy will be included as bonus characters. The likes of Glorfindel, Erestor, Radagast, Tom and Goldberry, Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights, Ghân-buri-Ghân, Quickbeam, Beregond and so forth.

I very much doubt it. There may be some Easter eggs for the fans, but I think it's mostly going to go on what was in the films.

On another note, I hope to hell we can invert the camera controls this time.

I very much doubt it. There may be some Easter eggs for the fans, but I think it's mostly going to go on what was in the films.

On another note, I hope to hell we can invert the camera controls this time.

didn't they mention though that this game would feature the MOST of any Lego games? Can they cover that with JUST the movies then?

I mean Lego HP was based on the books and had a ton of characters as well so if they wanna top that...

DodgerSan

didn't they mention though that this game would feature the MOST of any Lego games? Can they cover that with JUST the movies then?

I mean Lego HP was based on the books and had a ton of characters as well so if they wanna top that...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't all those characters in the movies at some point (even in non-speaking roles)?

I hope I'm wrong though, it'd be great to see all those other characters.

Edit: just noticed Radagast is mentioned in one of the screens above. So there's hope! :)

while the pics of the 3DS and Vita versions look pretty good, i will not make any compromises here but go with either the PS3 or PC version! "Open" world FTW! hope it's at least as open as Lego HP was

Aon

Just played the PC demo last night, couldn't stop smiling.

I'm maybe halfway through the Vita version and I find it hard to reccomend, for the jump in quality to the home versions is astounding. The primary issues with the Vita version isn't its somewhat lackluster graphics/framerate, it's definitely the AI compromises. 2-4 enemies on screen at most, only two party members ever rendered.

And your AI party member only seems to have enough processing power to figure out to attack about once every 30 seconds, instead preferring to just stand next to you at all times so that he's guaranteed to eat some friendly fire.

That PC demo is super good though :D

EDIT: Didn't realise noone had linked the demo. It's about 15 minutes of game and contains the entire Helm's Deep sequence. http://videogames.lego.com/en-us/lego-lord-of-the-rings/demo-download

decyx

I didn't see any shots posted from the PC demo so here are a few that I took last night for the High-Res PC screenshot thread. I downsampled from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 and used the SMAA injector.

amjuqd.png

Edit: thumbnails

Got mine on preorder from newegg. in the process of finishing Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 with my wife, but we play so casually that it is taking FOREVER. This, plus the rate I go through my backlog anyway, I probably won't get around to playing Lego LotR for like a year

scratch that. maybe we'll make a point to play it in preparation for The Hobbit film

Cronen

So I checked my order for the 360 version on Amazon UK and I can see that they have now added their pre-order bonuses:

"LEGO The Lord of the Rings Character Pack #1 (5 Characters)
The battle for Middle-earth rages on! Play as Sauron in the Second Age--the evil lord in his disguise who deceived the Elves into trusting him. Defend Middle-earth as noble warriors Prince Imrahil, Beregond, and Theodred. Or play as Smeagol, the Hobbit corrupted by the One Ring; turning him into the untrustworthy creature Gollum.
and
LEGO The Lord of the Rings DLC: Weapons & Magical Items
A legendary hero needs legendary weapons! Download the Middle-earth Weapons & Magical Items Pack and arm yourself with a variety of weapons such as the whirlwind axe, Troll mace, and Morgul blade. Get some Elven abilities with Elrond's Circlet, and create a protective shield using Gandalf's Helm of Gemstones. Gear up with your choice of Helms: the Barad-dûr Helm to stop enemies, and the Balrog and Grond Helms for super strength. Summon the power of air, water, and fire with the Rings of Power: Vilya, Nenya and Narya. Even Party Favours are not what they seem in Middle-earth. These sweet-looking things are filled with Gandalf's fireworks--stand well back!"

Not sure how I feel about characters being DLC, as I feel that there is a lot of fun found in finding and unlocking them all.

Randdalf

The one LEGO game I want is a proper sequel to the original LEGO Racers (not the crappy LEGO Racers 2), that game was fantastic fun; I honestly prefer it to Mario Kart.

DLC in Lego games now?

Don't you be hoppin on the DLC bandwagon as well now TTgames, you guys had a good thing going here :(

@Randalf: Don't be apologizing for this already man ;) next thing you know is that in Lego Hobbit we'll see the "Lego season pass" or they'll be giving you the first episode of a trilogy for free and the rest is DLC or something.

God i hate this DLC crap

ok paranoid mode off, still looking forward to this game a LOT :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Do we know if the PC version, since it's apparently steamworks this time, will support DLC like the console versions? In the past, while the PC version looked great, it didn't have the ability to get exclusive characters and whatnot like you can on 360 and PS3 (retailer exclusives, etc.)

I hope they have worked that out.

I am *this close* to pulling the trigger on the PC version via GMG but it'd be nice to know what features it supports (dlc, steam achievements [lol], etc.)

Pooya

buyers beware

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/13/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-recalled.aspx

If you're picking up Lego The Lord of the Rings today for the Xbox 360, you're going to want to open the case before you leave the store. It appears that some of the game boxes contain a demo disc for the game instead of the actual game.

Our own Andrew Reiner went to buy the game this morning, and he was told by the clerk that it had been recalled. He headed to another store, and the case did indeed contain the demo disc. The clerk there then opened the cases for the entire shipment and they were all the same.

The issue doesn't seem to be affecting the PS3 version of Lego The Lord of the Rings.

We've reached out to Warner Bros. Interactive to see if this issue affects the entire pressing, or if it was caught before then. In the meantime, be sure to crack open the box and check before you head home.

mjc

I bought a sealed copy of DMC3 a couple years ago that had Madden 06 inside of it. Strangest thing ever.

I hope my copy at Gamestop is alright to get tonight after I get off work. Fingers crossed.

Rootbeer

Banned
So the PC version was delayed in NA

Just purchased from GMG and they don't have keys and have indicated it's due to a delay. Did a search for Lego LOTR on Steam, and it's not even on there...

http://forums.greenmangaming.com/topic/3489/

wtf... I was looking forward to playing this today... ugh :/

Could they not announce the delay, like, BEFORE the actual release date? How much more disrespectful to players can you be.

amazon.com has physical copies of the PC version listed as "ships in 4 to 6 weeks" so yeah I'm guessing those customers didn't get theirs either.

Kingpen

Any impressions of this on 360 or PS3?

Have not played a lego game since the first star wars games.... I hope they have improved since then. I'm interested in this because of the LOTR theme

Is there any way to download this on the PC today? ITs funny, I CANT find any way to but this game on its release day...rofl....none of the stores near me had it today. Just really weird...and TTgames isn't saying anything about it.

Amir0x

Banned
Pretty excited for this. One of the few game series I can work my fiancee or sister into playing with me, and because this Lord of the Rings there is an additional bliss factor that is hard to calculate.

I hope it's good too, of course

Top Bottom