• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

So this one came together pretty quick. I asked my wife about moving her "lab" MOC that she made with her Research Insitute pieces. She asked for "a building to put it in."

What you can see my below is my "Genetics Lab" MOC I made for her. I wanted a clean and modern look, so nothing ornate like my last modular. I wanted it to be functional and simple, and provide a nice place to fit the lab equipment.

I also wanted a one-story building to break up the skyline of my modular street.

bA1A4cv.jpg

Outside view. I wanted to use the medium azure color. You'll notice the panels from the Quinjet Chase can fit in just right.

TRvDWHo.jpg

The door and entrance was pulled from an inspiration of the architecture at the Stanford University lab building.

nywBC6b.jpg

The wife did some genius stuff for someone who never builds. The vent hood design and eyewash sink was 100% her idea and was only moved into the lab by me. She's a biology major and knew what she wanted.

V8Ws9MB.jpg

The eyewash sink and fire extinguisher on the left wall, sorry for the terrible quality.

0nvsXiL.jpg

Pretty proud of the bathroom mini builds. The sink was totally a happy accident.

nv8p9nv.jpg

Awesome, just need some pro-life protesters out the front and it's complete!

RyanW

So I went to Walmart again and get a few more Disney figures because I want to try and complete the set. Decided to start feeling the bags and I thought I was doing a pretty good until I actually opened them and got my 2nd and 3rd Buzz. I did get Aladdin and my own Alice(my 8yo brother got her and Ariel, the latter which I traded my 2 Buzz figures to get).

So solid luck to start my collection.

mrkgoo

As I sat in a meeting this morning, I had an epiphany on making a sweet urinal. So this was my morning of experimentation.

Toilet fixtures are like the highest achievements in Lego in my mind. Awesome! love the little grill bricks in the back for detail.

edit: while I'm on the topic... what compels people to spit their gum into a urinal? I see it ALL the time. It's the utmost level of disrespect in my eyes...the bits of gum aren't going any where, so somebody has to fish them out. It really infuriates me.

The grill texture is only there because I had those bricks nearby to build with, lol. But I might keep them just because it does work very well. This was simply a proof of concept build and trying to work out logistics of size, etc before figuring out how to drop this into the massive theater MOC I am plotting.
Right now I am just testing scales on things and details I want to incorporate.
While I am still proud of the BrickMAX movie theater MOC I did years ago, I know that I did it with not only a limited number of bricks to use, but also a limited tool set of build techniques and planning. Both of those are out the window this time. Now I have much more MOC time and regular builds under my belt, so I can plan better and not just throw details in at last minute. Now I can plan, and also have an incredibly larger inventory of bricks to pull from to build with.

I have very big plans for this one. Like, this will dwarf the bookstore modular I did the last time.

Of course, this isn't going to be like Ryuuroden's Orthanc MOC. That shames everyone, and probably will for a very long time.

Hairpiece aside, the Ariel fig is so weak compared to the mini doll version. That hair almost makes up for it though...

I bought extras for the hair, the face and the torso. We very rarely get flesh torsos so you need to take the opportunity. Also, dual molded flesh arms for Alice and Peter are a good start.

Has anyone else noticed that Alice's hair fits badly? It's like the antistud isn't deep enough.

Dear LEGO GAF,

I owe you all an apology. After the years of joking and mocking those that lament about backlogs, this is just a sampling of mine. There are still tons of sets in the closet and about three complete series of Mixels not pictured. Damn those clearance sales.

I moved these out of my workspace so I can actually build again, but feel I shouldn't build until I clean it all up. Ugh.

You would save a lot of space taking them out of the boxes and consolidating them into bigger boxes. :)

My backlog has grown so much a bunch became part of my Bricklink store and is a big part of creating a Bricklink store. I've reached the point where I try not to get clearance and big sale sets for parts anymore. It's cheaper and better for me to just Bricklink parts or get it from Bricks & Pieces so I don't end up with a ton of parts I can't use (tires!).
I still can't bring myself to pay high prices for minifigs in high demand if I can buy the set on a good sale or it's a decent set. I have to absolutely hate the set or it has no useful parts.

As I sat in a meeting this morning, I had an epiphany on making a sweet urinal. So this was my morning of experimentation.

Gonna call you Phonciple "Jaimie" Bone now.

Thanks to you, someone will look at this page and think this thread is about urinals. So many reposts of urinal.

Scored some Disney CMFs today at Toys R Us here in Los Angeles area. No sign of them ever being at any Target still.

Saw nothing in LEGO aisle then on way out took a look at customer service counter and saw a handful of packets. Lady said they were out, but someone just returned those packets. I'm guessing someone just bought a box or bunch then just returned the ones they didn't want after feeling them up at home. She said they didn't have limits, but after people were buying large quantities and boxes they set limit to 10 per person.

I am very impressed with the non-standard LEGO heads. Stitch head is amazing. I don't really like the "kid" legs in general, but it works well with Stitch. I don't recall who posted disappointment in Little Mermaid. I think she's fine, and I do agree that the new hair mould is the highlight of that minifig. Surprised I haven't seen a photo of that new hair on the minidoll version yet. The two color head moulds used for the Mouses and the Ducks are very well done. They blend together seamlessly.

10 down, 8 more to go. Then tons of duplicates. A box or two if possible.

teeny

Any suggestions for minifig cases? This one looks awesome.
180 Lego Men / Legos / Mini Figures Minifigures /Display Case Cabinet - Lockable (Cherry Finish) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018ZX2ZUG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Whilst that is quite awesome (and holds a lot of figs oh my!), I am going to advertise the much more affordable Kasseby display box from Ikea again :)

I know I've posted these before, so sorry for repeating but these things are ideal for holding Lego:

JOhdP45.jpg

qXxI2hL.jpg

6 studs deep, 52 wide

---

On another note, I finally achieved my Platinum in Lego Dimensions - and what an ending! It had me grinning ear to ear. I know Lego games get a lot of flack for their apparent lack of evolution over the years, but I've had more fun with this game than most others. I don't think an ending has made me feel that happy since The Wonderful 101.

Still need to pick up BTTF and Simpsons packs (I know they are considered less good than the later ones) but will probably plump for the Midway Arcade pack first.

Aaaand then onto Force Awakens and Lego City Undercover :D

Whilst that is quite awesome (and holds a lot of figs oh my!), I am going to advertise the much more affordable Kasseby display box from Ikea again :)

I know I've posted these before, so sorry for repeating but these things are ideal for holding Lego:

JOhdP45.jpg

qXxI2hL.jpg

6 studs deep, 52 wide

I must have missed that post or just forgot. I love the Ribba shadow box solutions I've seen, but that easy access door is exactly what I want which Ribbas don't have.

Searching for more examples of Kasseby and look what I found. It's you on Eurobricks..

A large Ribba (50cmx50cm) can hold about 120 minifigs, but again the issue for me is easy access.

Seems like that Kasseby case holds about 52.

Here's a 16" x 20" (~40cm x ~50cm) shadow box at Hobby Lobby. Probably holds close to 100.

Lots of ideas in this Brickset thread.

Seems that any shadowbox type with front loading door is what I will probably do someday.

Speaking of IKEA.
Amazing IKEA by KLIKK Hungarian LEGO Fan Community, on Flickr

teeny

I must have missed that post or just forgot. I love the Ribba shadow box solutions I've seen, but that easy access door is exactly what I want which Ribbas don't have.

Searching for more examples of Kasseby and look what I found. It's you on Eurobricks..

A large Ribba (50cmx50cm) can hold about 120 minifigs, but again the issue for me is easy access.

Seems like that Kasseby case holds about 52.

Here's a 16" x 20" one at Hobby Lobby. Probably holds around 88.

Lots of ideas in this Brickset thread.

Seems that any shadowbox type with front loading door is what I will probably do someday.

Speaking of IKEA.

Amazing IKEA by KLIKK Hungarian LEGO Fan Community, on Flickr

Indeed, I couldn't find any examples of it when I posted but I think it was pretty new, then. This kind of display box is indeed ideal because it opens up at the front but can still be mounted on a wall (which I am yet to do).

That MOC is excellent, I may steal it someday :p

Experien

Got to say, wasn't too impressed with Rebel Transport Carrier. Has some details and some cool build parts but I am not as impressed with it upon completion. Guess I thought the interior would be better or bigger.

The first time I watched Guardians of the Galaxy I wasn't doing the LEGO thing.

I'm watching it now for a second time, however, and have ended up buying the Milano online before the damn thing's even finished.

teeny

The first time I watched Guardians of the Galaxy I wasn't doing the LEGO thing.

I'm watching it now for a second time, however, and have ended up buying the Milano online before the damn thing's even finished.

Now pick up Escape From Knowhere just for the figs :D

No regrets!

Now pick up Escape From Knowhere just for the figs :D

No regrets!

No! Stop!

(I've been binging MCU movies over the last week 'cause I'm going to go see Cap3, and I've actually kind of got my eye on the helicarrier. Hopefully I stand a chance against that one at least.)

teeny

No! Stop!

(I've been binging MCU movies over the last week 'cause I'm going to go see Cap3, and I've actually kind of got my eye on the helicarrier. Hopefully I stand a chance against that one at least.)

Fortunately I've been able to resist most of the licensed super hero sets. There are some stand outs, though!

Yes Ponn, I did build it but instantly tore it down for parts. Since then, I've avoided play sets but Star Wars makes it difficult.

Ponn

Banned
Nervous about the future of Dimensions with todays Disney Infinity cancellation. I feel like toys to life bubble is starting to burst and its so hard to tell if a series is doing good or not. I find it hard to believe Dimensions was doing good with all the deep discounts and price cuts its been getting.

teeny

Nervous about the future of Dimensions with todays Disney Infinity cancellation. I feel like toys to life bubble is starting to burst and its so hard to tell if a series is doing good or not. I find it hard to believe Dimensions was doing good with all the deep discounts and price cuts its been getting.

Blimey, yeah, that's a bit of a blow :/ I wonder if this could open up the door for Star Wars in Dimensions though, that could give it a whole new lease of life...

Do we have any official statements on how Lego and WB view Dimensions? Is it performing at a satisfactory level despite the discounts? We don't tend to get the kind of steep cuts in the UK (and I presume the rest of Europe) that NA has had.

ghostmind

Last I had heard, LEGO had a multi-year plan for Dimensions, but this could change things up significantly.

I had also heard that this year could see Marvel Superheroes being added to Dimensions, but that Star Wars was off the table, due to Infinity.

However, WB has a major stake in Dimensions, so how would that impact if Disney started coming on strong?

willp2003

Eek, the technic Benz arocs is £50 off on Amazon U.K. Do I pull the trigger, even though I had no interest in it, but you filthy enablers have been praising it?

Edit: bought. Buy now, think later. :)

Last I had heard, LEGO had a multi-year plan for Dimensions, but this could change things up significantly.

I had also heard that this year could see Marvel Superheroes being added to Dimensions, but that Star Wars was off the table, due to Infinity.

However, WB has a major stake in Dimensions, so how would that impact if Disney started coming on strong?

For what it's worth [even with everyone shitting on me in the other thread for suggesting it] I've also heard rumors of Marvel coming in Dimensions. I don't remember if a year/timeframe was given but Marvel was a "don't count it out" while Star Wars, especially due to Infinity 3.0, was a "not happening" BUT NOW THAT COULD ALL CHANGE.

I hope we get SOME info about Dimensions Series 2 soon. I don't wanna have to wait till E3 ):<

The main "issue" with Disney's properties and a game like Dimensions is they SAY they don't like letting different properties intermingle. Like Star Wars and Disney and Pixar and Marvel aren't allowed to play in each others' playsets in Disney Infinity. They might be more lax about Marvel stuff but Star Wars and other Disney IP, I dunno. I think it's a really stupid rule but I get why they do it so, who knows.

wetwired

I spoke to someone I know in the know and apparently Dimensions is doing well and they were actually excited to hear Disney Infinity has been canned. More room for them and they're excited about the potential of getting Marvel\Disney\Star Wars in Dimensions.

That's by no means a confirmation that it will happened. They just see that it may actually be possible to attempt it now. I imagine it's up to the higher-ups as to whether anything actually happens with the IP.

If it did I imagine it'd be a fair while away. These things need to be in production years in advance.

Ponn

Banned
For what it's worth [even with everyone shitting on me in the other thread for suggesting it] I've also heard rumors of Marvel coming in Dimensions. I don't remember if a year/timeframe was given but Marvel was a "don't count it out" while Star Wars, especially due to Infinity 3.0, was a "not happening" BUT NOW THAT COULD ALL CHANGE.

I hope we get SOME info about Dimensions Series 2 soon. I don't wanna have to wait till E3 ):<

The main "issue" with Disney's properties and a game like Dimensions is they SAY they don't like letting different properties intermingle. Like Star Wars and Disney and Pixar and Marvel aren't allowed to play in each others' playsets in Disney Infinity. They might be more lax about Marvel stuff but Star Wars and other Disney IP, I dunno. I think it's a really stupid rule but I get why they do it so, who knows.

I spoke to someone I know in the know and apparently Dimensions is doing well and they were actually excited to hear Disney Infinity has been canned. More room for them and they're excited about the potential of getting Marvel\Disney\Star Wars in Dimensions.

That's by no means a confirmation that it will happened. They just see that it may actually be possible to attempt it now. I imagine it's up to the higher-ups as to whether anything actually happens with the IP.

If it did I imagine it'd be a fair while away. These things need to be in production years in advance.

Harry Potter AND now maybe Marvel in Lego Dimensions. DC and Marvel in a Lego game?? I'm having a heart attack...send help or more Lego.

edit: Watch the Deadpool pack be a SDCC exclusive.

It would be interesting to see recent sales figures for amiibo, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and LEGO Dimensions. Anyone have access to NPD data which tracks sales of such things? That data is highly valuable if you invest in video game stocks. It would give a lot of insight on how the toy-to-life market is doing.

It's a good move for Disney. Seems like they are following Marvel's business model of licensing. LEGO also moved to the licensing business model after their near bankruptcy. I'm curious how much money LEGO put into LEGO Dimensions considering much of their current video game ventures are licensing.

I wonder if toy-to-life market is reaching the end of a cycle or just plateauing. Would suck if it just fell off the cliff like the Rhythm game genre (i.e. Guitar Hero and Rock Band). Still so many LEGO minifigs that could be brought to life only via LEGO Dimensions.

Harry Potter AND now maybe Marvel in Lego Dimensions. DC and Marvel in a Lego game?? I'm having a heart attack...send help or more Lego.

edit: Watch the Deadpool pack be a SDCC exclusive.

Tough call. Warner Bros may have issues with promoting competing IPs. On one hand, mixing DC and Marvel superheroes in 1 video game would be HUGE. On the other hand. from a business and legal viewpoint I'm sure it's extremely "complicated". (I have little respect for Warner Bros higher ups with how they are screwing things up with their Super Hero IP's in Movies and Comics - TV shows being an exception).

Anyone know how much of LEGO Dimensions is "owned" by Warner Bros? If it was strictly TLG (LEGO), it probably wouldn't be a huge deal since LEGO produces sets with IP from both without issue.

Just seen civil war - are we still getting one further set from the movie?

That's it. No comment on how awesome or lame it is?

I believe the set is for later in the year??? Not sure, I thought it was not released because it contained a spoiler with
Spider-Man, but the movie is out and Spidey was shown in trailers. *shrug*.

ghostmind

I have no idea what they could release that would be so secret since we already have Giant Man. Maybe UCS Raft set? While that sounds cool, it would be rather boring.

Cap vs. Helicopter with bicep flexing action?

I'm thinking that it will be an addition for the airport set, to fill in the missing characters.

Either that or sweatervest Vision cooking set.

I believe the set is for later in the year??? Not sure, I thought it was not released because it contained a spoiler with

Sorry I loved it but it's 3am and I'm feeding the baby with one arm ha.

Really enjoyed the movie but I found the lego set took away a good part of that scene - so bizarre that they let details of that out.

Loved Black Panther so glad I have that set ready for my sons birthday I may get the airport battle for mine.

Can't think of a really obvious scene for the new set.

I'm thinking that it will be an addition for the airport set, to fill in the missing characters.

Either that or sweatervest Vision cooking set.

I never knew I wanted that until now. Perhaps it has an interactive function:
With Vision being dropped through a dozen or more floors as Scarlet Witch messes with his powers. Sure, it is later in the movie, but still.

Here's a Lego set idea for civil war
Aunt May apartment set :3

There is no adequate way to make a hot enough Marisa Tomei figure.

Sorry I loved it but it's 3am and I'm feeding the baby with one arm ha.

Really enjoyed the movie but I found the lego set took away a good part of that scene - so bizarre that they let details of that out.

Loved Black Panther so glad I have that set ready for my sons birthday I may get the airport battle for mine.

Can't think of a really obvious scene for the new set.

Yeah, I can't either. Unless it is
a Siberia set with all the dead Winter Soldiers and comes with a Zemo figure behind glass as Cap and Iron Man fight.

EDIT:
And the Bucky figure is missing an arm

I have no idea what they could release that would be so secret since we already have Giant Man. Maybe UCS Raft set? While that sounds cool, it would be rather boring.

Cap vs. Helicopter with bicep flexing action?
Need Spider-roos set. He is the only figure missing from the current offering.

wetwired

I've had it confirmed through multiple sources that the missing set is
Winter Soldier Stark Assassination Playset

Ryuuroden

I think Dimensions does better because it draws people who don't just buy it for the game. Like I buy certain packs for the minifigs and I don't play the game. I know a bunch of people like this. Now I know infinity probably had a similar thing happening but I am sure it was at a much smaller scale. I think the fact that LEGO as a medium already exists and is hugely popular and this is just an extension makes for a much larger market than just gamers or figurine collectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom