• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

gZuarLQ.jpg

Sigh, I wish they'd just put it in a set. It's a pain in the arse to get Polybags here in Australia not to mention the price you have to pay to do so

Ya, i don't know who the market for this is. I may be tempted if it hits 50% off like the B-Wing UCS did.

The glorious B-Wing sale is not something that will be repeated. Remember that LEGO's popularity has absolutely skyrocketed since then.

I am much more of a "vehicles for display" kind of guy with the UCS sets, but all this love for the Ewok village is tempting....I'm definitely not into the Sandcrawler though.

Interesting on the Angry Birds balloons. It looks like a new mould for the bottom part of the balloon. Notice the elongated proportion and the lack of gap in the connection of top and bottom. It looks like there is a stud and anti-stud to form a complete connection without any gap. Curious why LEGO would have a need for such a mould when there is they have a usable one already. Maybe more clutch power? The proportion though makes it a much less reusable part.

Maengun1

I'm curious to see the price they go with for the park set. Only 157 pieces, but 15 minifigs and some new/unique pieces people already love? Hmm... I could see $30/40 easy

boltz

So far my only real must haves are the Turbo Tank and the AT-TE, but I have to say the Bat tank thing is pretty cool-looking.

I think with the Ewok Village's expected imminent retirement, it's going to be really popular during that March double VIP period. Hopefully it doesn't go out of stock then as that's when I plan to pick one up!

Tendo

I finished my last Nexo Knights set today and just saw the next sets coming this summer. I can't wait! I think they all look great but I'll probably skip Macy's vehicle as it doesn't do much for me to warrent shelf space. I've been avoiding most super hero stuff but I'm going to have to snag that batman tank for sure!

Ponn

Banned
Valentine's Day Dog says "I RUV YOU"

So the Civil War sets come out on March 1st right? Supposedly some people are finding them at retail already but I find it funny that Lego didn't put the Giant Man build on display for the Airport set for secrecy reasons yet the set comes out in 15 days?? Seems dumb.

iosefe

That's cool. We should make this a contest idea.
I have a tie fighter type build that needs a bit of refining. It was made using only pieces from a Lego store pick a brick wall back in December, so it's lacking in big detail, and uses some kinda odd pieces. But I gave it an opening hatch on top

I reworked it into a tie interceptor then realized how close it was to Kylo Ren's ship, and the rest is history.

I also have a Recognizer from TRON also a PAB build in black and white.

no leg prints? Panther's ears look weird.

I'm wondering if this is a facility or lead-time issue.

TLG has been killing it with the printing on the latest CMF series. Tie that back to the small run TFA C3-PO and Silver Centurion poly bags, and the future of well-printed figs looks better and better.

I suspect that many of the large-run sets that are being unveiled now had to be in "for review" some time ago, and may be subject to production constraints we aren't aware of. Remember that all of the great leg printing we've seen lately has been on CMFs and poly bags - not on sets. It could be there is a different production process/location.

..just a thought.

I'm wondering if this is a facility or lead-time issue.

TLG has been killing it with the printing on the latest CMF series. Tie that back to the small run TFA C3-PO and Silver Centurion poly bags, and the future of well-printed figs looks better and better.

I suspect that many of the large-run sets that are being unveiled now had to be in "for review" some time ago, and may be subject to production constraints we aren't aware of. Remember that all of the great leg printing we've seen lately has been on CMFs and poly bags - not on sets. It could be there is a different production process/location.

..just a thought.

At $3.99 a pop, CMF's better have excellent printing and lots of new moulds. I still hold a grudge about the 33% price increase. I'm sure lead-time plays a part, but I would think costs and logistics play a bigger part.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So glad I snagged the original lighthouse with the dingy stone hut, all the newer ones never looked as great.

Ponn

Banned
So glad I snagged the original lighthouse with the dingy stone hut, all the newer ones never looked as great.

I like the buildable orca but I actually want a more creepy looking lighthouse. I still want to get the Scooby Doo one before it goes oop but to be honest i'm really eyeing that new Ninjago Lighthouse.

I like the buildable orca but I actually want a more creepy looking lighthouse. I still want to get the Scooby Doo one before it goes oop but to be honest i'm really eyeing that new Ninjago Lighthouse.

I have the Scooby one and i'd say it's worth it as it looks suitably creepy, and has a nice finished look to it. The Ninjago one also caught my eye but it's less of a traditional light house look of course...

Finally opened my Tumbler I got from Target as a online return (30% off!). But its missing tires. No wonder it was returned. I gotta start opening sets right away and confirming contents. Not waiting a year.

Scooby one is a good lighthouse set to get, the lighthouse is nice and the island itself has some neat little features to it. Might as well get it anyway before it goes oop. If you don't like it, it shouldn't be hard to sell.

peely

Neo Member
First ever experience of requesting a replacement part today - daughter was missing a holder for the sun god/persons wings from the latest minifigure set. Can't believe it was that easy !

Finally opened my Tumbler I got from Target as a online return (30% off!). But its missing tires. No wonder it was returned. I gotta start opening sets right away and confirming contents. Not waiting a year.
Which tires too? Because aren't the big ones unique to that set?

Just contact Lego.

Ryuuroden

Person obviously opened the set, stole the tires and returned it. This shit happened to me which is why I no longer leave Wal-Mart and target bought sets unchecked after I buy them. There are Lego criminal rings out there for real. I guarantee you that set had tires at one point.

boltz

Damn, I got one from target for the same price and it was I assume an online return as well (has the repackage sticker). Did the seals all look intact when you got it?

Ponn

Banned
I have the Scooby one and i'd say it's worth it as it looks suitably creepy, and has a nice finished look to it. The Ninjago one also caught my eye but it's less of a traditional light house look of course...

Scooby one is a good lighthouse set to get, the lighthouse is nice and the island itself has some neat little features to it. Might as well get it anyway before it goes oop. If you don't like it, it shouldn't be hard to sell.

Yea, i'm actually thinking of combining the Scooby lighthouse and the ninjago one. It will look like a more traditional lighthouse sitting on a cliff looking creepy. I'm already thinking of a halloween scene with that, a ghost ship and maybe an Old One coming out of the sea.

Damn, I got one from target for the same price and it was I assume an online return as well (has the repackage sticker). Did the seals all look intact when you got it?

The Tumbler I got had all the tires loose in the box. For returns that could be a problem with the inspector maybe just looking for the bags.

Which tires too? Because aren't the big ones unique to that set?

Just contact Lego.

It is missing 2 of the Big Tires. 2 Big Tires and 2 of the exclusive tires are there. Filled out the form online. Expect to see them in a few weeks.

Person obviously opened the set, stole the tires and returned it. This shit happened to me which is why I no longer leave Wal-Mart and target bought sets unchecked after I buy them. There are Lego criminal rings out there for real. I guarantee you that set had tires at one point.

Yeah this is my own fault for not opening it soon after I bought it. It was an online return, and the box was beat to heck.

The seals were loose, but didn't look like they had been removed.

I gotta think that this was somehow a factory issue, no way someone wouldn't take all the tires and minifigures if they bothered two take two in the first place.

Just weird after so many sets with no issues, having issues with missing pieces with two sets in a row.

Nitemare1

Id be more willing to bet you won't see another Deadpool minifig just based on the fact the movie is rated R regardless if its a set not based on the movie. They can be pretty touchy when it comes to that stuff. Glad I managed to get him in the wolverine set cause I feel like thats going to be the last one for a while.

Experien

huh? First of all the "marvel v Fox(xmen) beef" would be way older than 2013, why would 2013 be a designated number?

It isn't 2013. Marvel lightly supported FOX and the movies until August 2009 when Disney bought Marvel. Disney hates anyone else using their characters and that is why we have all the copyright/trademark laws (I forget which it is) cause they were afraid of people using Mickey Mouse inappropriately.

The last FOX X movie supported with products was X-Men Origins: Wolverine, May 2009. It was a sucktacular movie but it still had shirts, toys, and even a decent video game. No movies after that has had direct support. Not Wolverine, First Class, Days of Future Pass...none. You could argue Days of Future Past got some with a Sentinel set but I wouldn't be surprised if they only put one set out every couple years.

Problem is Disney and I am sad cause that means no official bigfig Colossus or a cool Nightcrawler.

Since this is a LEGO thread, I'll just keep the discussion related to LEGO Marvel toys.

The issue is well documented on the lack of support for Fox movies based on Marvel IP in the toy department on the ones where Marvel retained the rights to toy merchandising. Sony and Marvel on the other hand are on better terms. I followed Marvel stock for many years after the near bankruptcy until it was bought by Disney. Rights to Marvel characters that were "given" away was a constant conversation.

Any LEGO sets for Wolverine or X-Men were never based on the movies. As for Spider-Man, they are based on the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon where Sony is not listed as one of the production companies.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1722512/companycredits?ref_=tt_dt_co

Earlier Spider-Man cartoons such as this has Sony listed as a production company.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976192/companycredits

Disney buying Marvel definitely affected the relationship between Fox and Marvel. Also contracts can have many differences on the licensing agreements. I think for Fox, Marvel retained the toy merchandising rights to movies. I don't recall, but there were clauses in the contracts that if movies and/or TV shows were not produced within certain number of years between each one, the rights would revert back to Marvel. This is how Marvel got the movie rights back for Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, and I think a few others.

Anyway, all this information is easily searchable. The beef exists.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2356058

EDIT: I think there was a promo polybag Electro that was actually based on the Spider-Man movie. Was there any other LEGO Super Hero set based on Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, X-Men, or Wolverine movies?

Fishlake

I grabbed some Mixels and the creature of earth and water. That should hold me over until March.

Also have you guys seen the pictures from the Book of Monsters. It looks like we could be getting a mushroom people and an underwater "elves"? in the future of Nexo Knights. They look very good and I really hope we get them.

Ponn

Banned
In other news, is it really worth 15 bucks buying just a Captain Marvel minifig or just get the set?

Get the set for all the figs, Captain Marvel, Thanos, Hyperion,Iron Man space variant and yea even space cap. Just pull the trigger when its on sale, it just came out so you have awhile.

Saw Deadpool this afternoon, really really excellent. Haven't laughed that hard in awhile so it was cathartic. Really glad I got my Deadpool fig because hes gonna be super popular now.

iosefe

I spent the past couple hours making a microfighters sized Kylo Ren command shuttle with the wings that spread out.

^I FINALLY made the album of pictures

http://imgur.com/a/yimEO

The First two pictures are the Recognizer and Tie fighter. i take full credit on the Recognizer, but my Coworker made a very tiny Tie Fighter, and i decided the upsize it and make it more accurate.

And then it became Kylo Ren's shuttle

For the Shuttle, i'll just put the main important pictures here to speak for themselves, but due to lack of proper colors for certain pieces, it could look better

overall, i'm quite pleased with this tiny build and hope to work on some other miniaturizations

wetwired

I recently ordered some custom minifigs from Minifigures.com and Citizen Brick and thought I'd do a little review from one customizers work to anothers. I bought Minifigures.com Mulder and Scully to compare to my own along with their Mr Bean who I thought looked great. I also got Citizen Brick's Mr T and some random printed parts (not shown)

Let's start with the packaging.

IMG_20160215_184012.jpg

Citizen Bricks Mr T, straight up both of these customizers packaging shit all of my own. I did think about doing something fancier like this but the larger size would prevent me from being able to offer free postage. It's still tempting though.

It's a cardboard backing card with generic printing and a sticker signifying the design inside. I guess this is their way of saving on printing, just print some little stickers for the minifig and use the same backing card. In this case Mr T is called the "Pity Enthusiast"

IMG_20160215_184907.jpg

Next up is Minifigures.com offering, Mr Bean, Agent Sculder and Agent Mully. Much nicer packaging, custom printed cards inside plastic shells. Much more professional. Difficult to open without destroying the packaging completely however.

IMG_20160215_202208.jpg

Now the minfigures, Minifgures.com's Mr Bean and and Citizen Brick's Mr T. I'm not sure if it comes across in the images but the difference in quality between the two is noticable. Citizen Brick uses Pad printing (same as lego) and minifgures.com seems to be either UV or Bubble printed. I'll get into some more detail on the differences later but you can see Mr T is much more crisp and vivid printing.

Beyond the printing techniques however I think both look great, accurate representations of the characters. Mr T has printing on the front and back of his torso as well as the front and sides of his legs. Mr Bean has printed arms and front/back torso prints.

IMG_20160215_202221.jpg

The one downside with Mr T I could find, and it does feel a bit nitpicky is the mowhawk, I'm not sure it comes across in the image but his mohawk is obviously a normal LEGO mohawk but it's been manually (and somewhat roughly) cut short. I actually bought 2 of these, one for a friend and you can see the difference in the two in the way they've been cut. A minor thing but it felt a bit dodgy and brought it all down a bit.

Neither have any accessories which I can't really think of anything that would suit for Mr T but it's a shame Mr Bean is lacking his teddy as an accessory.

Now onto Mulder and Scully, I've compared them to my own as that's the whole reason I bought them, to scope out the competition!

IMG_20160215_202242.jpg

In order Waller Customs Mulder, Minifgures.com Mulder, Waller Customs Scully, Minifigures.com Scully

Again Minifigures.com is UV or bubble printed which isn't very apparent in this pic, I used pad printing for mine (though the ID badges are bubble printed)
You'll have to take my review on these guys with a grain of salt since it's my competition but I find the faces on Minfigures.com too small and printed too low on the face. Mulder looks like a small boy and Scully looks like an alien, neither seem to fit the LEGO style of face design to me.

Minifigures.com's Mulder's torso design is fine however I don't recall him ever wearing brown suits. Minifigures.com's Scully torso design I quite like however and I think I may prefer it over my own. Both have back printing however it's so minor it's barely worth mentioning (nothing like Mr Bean or Mr T's)

You'll have to excuse the below photo, I couldn't get my phone to focus on these pieces. But below at the two accessories that come with the Minifigures.com agents. A folder file that says "The President" with some classified stamps and a piece of paper/file with some text about the president being an alien, the text is actually fully legible even if you have to look very closely. Again both UV or Bubble printed.

IMG_20160215_210013.jpg

Now to go over the differences in Pad Printing vs UV or Bubble printing. Pad printing is the same technique LEGO uses for all their parts. It's more expensive the more colours you use as each colour is sort of a stencil and printed seperately, one layer at a time. I costs more if you have only a few to print so it's only really cost effective for larger runs.
UV printing allows you to print many colours in one pass and use a lot more colours at a time. It's cheaper for smaller runs per item than pad printing but the price sort of levels out after a while, it generally doesn't get much cheaper with larger runs.

Now let's get to the finished result. Below is a close up of Minifigures.com Mulder using UV/Bubble printing on the left with my Scully on the Right.

closeup.jpg

First up you can see that the left torso is sort of bumpy and rough looking, It's actually raised off the surface slightly and if you run your finger over it you can feel it's slightly raised compared to the surface of the torso. The edges of the lines are also less defined and rough compared to the pad printed torso on the right.

It's not as apparent in the image but the UV printed torso also catches the light a lot has a slight sheen to it which tends to wash out the colours making them less vivid. Pad printed items tend to pop more, less washed out with more vivid colour and defined edges.

And to wrap it all up a pic of The Silver Centurion Iron Man I got in the weekend after biting the bullet and buying LEGO Avengers for $58 to avoid paying $50 for the minifig alone on bricklink :p

IMG_20160214_121259.jpg

Wife got me a Millennium Falcon set for Valentine's Day but gave it to me early on Friday so I could build it over the weekend in bursts!

A couple pics I took of the final product...

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/nXhGIG1.jpg[/img]

Tom_Cody

On the topic of technic.

I never really liked technic. Sure, I'm interested in the mechanical side of it, but I don't like the building. My least favourite part of many 'normal' Lego sets is the technic skeleton some have (especially Star Wars stuff). It makes my fingers sore, and sometimes a technic pin is giving me a hard time to just CLICK when it need's to. Attaching something with more then one pin can be terrible when one clicks and the other doesn't feel like it.

I did have an awesome Tecnic set as a kid though:

8257-1.jpg

I loved this so much!
For me, the technic bits are the most fun parts. I still like the finished designs of the Star Wars sets, but I love the more intricate parts when it comes to the 'build' aspect.

I had some prized technic sets as a kid as well. I had gotten this for Christmas when I was in second grade:
http://brickset.com/sets/6956-1/Stellar-Recon-Voyager

and I traded it for this with a classmate when the technic functionality blew me away.
http://brickset.com/sets/6956-1/Stellar-Recon-Voyager

I later got this for my birthday:
http://brickset.com/sets/8044-1/Universal-Pneumatic-Set

Those two sets were my favorite thing in the world for the next year.

I enjoy the occasional Technic set, too, for a nice change of pace when building. They also make for some good display models. I'm actually on a bit of a Technic kick lately. I built the new Fire Plane last month and then just built the huge Volvo L350F Wheel Loader last week and last night I started on the 24 Hours Race car that I got on AWD for 25% off. So far they all have been great builds. I still have a few big Technic sets in my backlog and am looking forward to some of the 2H sets that were just shown.
I'm jealous. All three of those sets look really fantastic.

Also, what is AWD?

I really want a big epic Technic set but I find they're always a bit... weird, I guess. Like that huge rotating digger thing they showed at the toy fair - I'd love a 3,000 piece Technic set but I don't know if I want that.
That's part of the charm for me. They tend to be clunky and industrial, built outwards from functionality instead of inwards from pure visual design. I love stuff like this:

I know people are in love with the size of the excavator but I feel like its going to be a quick burn for people. It takes up a lot of space, it doesn't really fit in with any type of display or figs and its just a weird thing to display.

There is no doubt it's going to need a big footprint to display it, but the same could be said for the Ferris wheel or some of the other UCS type sets. As far as the weirdness of it to display, I kind of think that also works for it. It is such an odd looking and unique set that I think between the size and what it actually is a model of, automatically will attract attention to know just what the hell it is. The fact that it comes with power functions makes it even more of a neat display piece. Plus I think it looks like a fascinating build just because it is such a strange looking machine that is not your every day road or construction vehicle like most of the rest of the larger technic sets are.
The excavator isn't even on my radar screen. I respect the audacity of it, but it just doesn't fit into what I want to get out of Lego. I just don't know what I'd do with that giant thing.

Lego motors are so anemic and loud that I steer away from anything motorized if I can help it.
Noise is not great, but setting the proper gear ratio given the strength of the motors is part of the challenge for me.

Yeah that's why im not a huge fan of the technic sets, i wish they could do something more unique like a robot or a windmill or whatever, lego mindstorms is on the right track but that's super expensive to get into

but the system itself is really great and can be used for a lot of different cool things
technic was my fave theme. i hit my peak with 8880 and 8448 super car sets. the new porsche looks amaaaazing
the thing with technic is.... there's only so many times i can build a car with engine and steering. and maybe some other mechanic...

stopped with lego for maybe 10 years and just dipping my toes in again with an even less talked about theme: Architecture
I get this, though there are a number of sets that are quite interesting me out on the market right now. I'm having a blast with the variety.

Different types of suspensions and transmissions, plus various action functions. I'm not bored yet.

ruxtpin

Banned
AWD is all-wheel drive. Commonly seen on Subarus.

Jaykay... It's Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Edit: Agree with Phon below, great post Wet. I like how smaller shops get around license restrictions with creative naming.

You'll have to take my review on these guys with a grain of salt since it's my competition but I find the faces on Minfigures.com too small and printed too low on the face.
It's not just you. My first thought at looking at them was that their foreheads seemed way too big, but I couldn't figure out why. But you nailed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom