• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Thank you Wetwired for the review on Mr T.
I had considered purchasing, but that rough cut mohawk is a turn off. It was definitely not apparent on their site.

ghostmind

JANG strikes again:

68P5lbO.jpg

Risible

I just want to thank whoever mentioned buying opened sets on eBay. I really like the Star Wars vehicles but the prices are, as we all know, up there. After seeing someone post about it I went looking. So far I've gotten the Resistance Troop Transport for $38 (no figs) and the new Falcon for $85 (no box but complete!). Totally psyched, such a huge savings. I mean I got the Falcon for almost half off, that's nuts! I also got the Scooby Doo van for $15 minus the Scooby figure.

I'll also add that the Troop Transport is rad as fuck. :) The Sccoby van is an awesome model also, so well done.

wetwired

Thank you Wetwired for the review on Mr T.
I had considered purchasing, but that rough cut mohawk is a turn off. It was definitely not apparent on their site.

I'd still recommend it to be honest, even Mr Bean who is UV printed is still probably worth it as it's a really good likeness

neonglow

I just want to thank whoever mentioned buying opened sets on eBay. I really like the Star Wars vehicles but the prices are, as we all know, up there. After seeing someone post about it I went looking. So far I've gotten the Resistance Troop Transport for $38 (no figs) and the new Falcon for $85 (no box but complete!). Totally psyched, such a huge savings. I mean I got the Falcon for almost half off, that's nuts! I also got the Scooby Doo van for $15 minus the Scooby figure.

I'll also add that the Troop Transport is rad as fuck. :) The Sccoby van is an awesome model also, so well done.

Whenever I but the figureless sets, I always feel some regret because I later want the minifigures afterwards. It'd probably be best when you need to expand an existing set like the new Spiderman bridge set.

Risible

Whenever I but the figureless sets, I always feel some regret because I later want the minifigures afterwards. It'd probably be best when you need to expand an existing set like the new Spiderman bridge set.

My Chinese knock off resistance dude was more than happy to pilot the transport :)

Fishlake

as its own set, I really like Akida. Her build is good and sometimes with a stand for posing and it is just well thought out

Her build is definitely fun. Yo can tell they went the extra mile to make her look mechanic as well. I guess they thought she looks too organic.

The stand really makes the set stand out! I wish more sets had them.

I recently ordered some custom minifigs from Minifigures.com and Citizen Brick and thought I'd do a little review from one customizers work to anothers. I bought Minifigures.com Mulder and Scully to compare to my own along with their Mr Bean who I thought looked great. I also got Citizen Brick's Mr T and some random printed parts (not shown)

[stuff deleted]

Now onto Mulder and Scully, I've compared them to my own as that's the whole reason I bought them, to scope out the competition!

IMG_20160215_202242.jpg

In order Waller Customs Mulder, Minifgures.com Mulder, Waller Customs Scully, Minifigures.com Scully

Again Minifigures.com is UV or bubble printed which isn't very apparent in this pic, I used pad printing for mine (though the ID badges are bubble printed)
You'll have to take my review on these guys with a grain of salt since it's my competition but I find the faces on Minfigures.com too small and printed too low on the face. Mulder looks like a small boy and Scully looks like an alien, neither seem to fit the LEGO style of face design to me.

Minifigures.com's Mulder's torso design is fine however I don't recall him ever wearing brown suits. Minifigures.com's Scully torso design I quite like however and I think I may prefer it over my own. Both have back printing however it's so minor it's barely worth mentioning (nothing like Mr Bean or Mr T's)

You'll have to excuse the below photo, I couldn't get my phone to focus on these pieces. But below at the two accessories that come with the Minifigures.com agents. A folder file that says "The President" with some classified stamps and a piece of paper/file with some text about the president being an alien, the text is actually fully legible even if you have to look very closely. Again both UV or Bubble printed.

IMG_20160215_210013.jpg

Now to go over the differences in Pad Printing vs UV or Bubble printing. Pad printing is the same technique LEGO uses for all their parts. It's more expensive the more colours you use as each colour is sort of a stencil and printed seperately, one layer at a time. I costs more if you have only a few to print so it's only really cost effective for larger runs.
UV printing allows you to print many colours in one pass and use a lot more colours at a time. It's cheaper for smaller runs per item than pad printing but the price sort of levels out after a while, it generally doesn't get much cheaper with larger runs.

Now let's get to the finished result. Below is a close up of Minifigures.com Mulder using UV/Bubble printing on the left with my Scully on the Right.

closeup.jpg

First up you can see that the left torso is sort of bumpy and rough looking, It's actually raised off the surface slightly and if you run your finger over it you can feel it's slightly raised compared to the surface of the torso. The edges of the lines are also less defined and rough compared to the pad printed torso on the right.

It's not as apparent in the image but the UV printed torso also catches the light a lot has a slight sheen to it which tends to wash out the colours making them less vivid. Pad printed items tend to pop more, less washed out with more vivid colour and defined edges.

Coincidently I was checking out the same site (custombricks and eclipsegrafx as well) last night. I'm still hoping for official LEGO Mr. T. I was hoping to find the alcohol bottles on EclipseGrafx site but they haven't ever refreshed them since the first batch. Custombricks has some custom printed leg assemblies I want but I am hesitating because I'll end up spending a ton of cash that I shouldn't right now.

I think your X-agent designs are better. The other one has the eyebrows too close to the eyes and the white circles in the eyes are too big. Because of the poor eye brow placement, their faces look scrunched and foreheads too big.

I prefer pad printing in my LEGO customs, but I won't shy away from other printing techniques if it's the only way to get a specific custom character.

Her build is definitely fun. Yo can tell they went the extra mile to make her look mechanic as well. I guess they thought she looks too organic.

The stand really makes the set stand out! I wish more sets had them.

Only thing i dont like about akida is that the function doesn't really make sense until you put her on gali. Although most of the creatures functions are kinda weird anyways. Only ones i particularly like are Uxar and Ikir's.

iosefe

Of you remove the head, Ikir is literally a wing pack for the tow and I think it's fantastic.

While Uxar is like a butterfly, Ikir really is a phoenix

chidrock

I just noticed that the back of my Mulder figure is fading/turning grey. Is that normal for these custom figs? I didn't have it in the sunlight or anything, and it's his back. I was thinking that the paint on the back might not have been as thick because there was no printing back there.

wetwired

I just noticed that the back of my Mulder figure is fading/turning grey. Is that normal for these custom figs? I didn't have it in the sunlight or anything, and it's his back. I was thinking that the paint on the back might not have been as thick because there was no printing back there.

are you talking about my (waller customs) custom mulder? I didn't use any paint on the back of mine at all

Depending on how the figure was created, there might have originally been some printing which was removed. I've noticed on a few of my own custom figures that they go rough/grey on cleared but unpainted parts.

wetwired

Depending on how the figure was created, there might have originally been some printing which was removed. I've noticed on a few of my own custom figures that they go rough/grey on cleared but unpainted parts.

Whether it's mine or not that might be the case, you can wash the parts with some warm water and dishwashing detergent and a soft cloth, it won't damage the printing. Failing that I can send you a replacement assuming it's mine.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sweet! Its easy to impulse buy these at $20

They sure do. Glad to have them a part of the lineup.

On the Marvel side we will be seeing these $20 sets soon

76058-1.jpg

76050-1.jpg

I wish LEGO would go a little heavier on the X-Men sets, but otherwise I like the pace that they are fleshing out the Marvel and DC universe in LEGO form.

Experien

76050-1.jpg

I wish LEGO would go a little heavier on the X-Men sets, but otherwise I like the pace that they are fleshing out the Marvel and DC universe in LEGO form.

They aren't going at all and probably won't beyond a set in a few years...

That said, I think I need that Crossbones set for Crossbones.

yup it's only $20!

gotta love those $20 superhero sets, they usually come with 3 minifigs and a decent vehicle (in this case, two)

76058-1.jpg

76050-1.jpg

Not only are they great values, but if one is patient enough usually those sets can easily be found for 20% on sale off eventually (sometimes more). Unfortunately they are impulse buy price, such good values, and have unique minifigs I want that I can't wait that long. I'm looking at you Ghost Rider set, the other ones I can hold off for a bit longer.

Wanderer5

76058-1.jpg

Ghost Rider set will be mine.<3 And sweet, he has his chainwhip afterall.

Ponn

Banned
JANG reviews the Ghostbusters Firehouse HQ:

http://youtu.be/6gLLDlXJcWY

I was going to get both this and Batcave for double vip but an unexpected Slave one purchase means I couldn't save money from my tax return. I kept forgetting the Civil War sets were coming out in March too. I think i'm going to have put this off for another month and go with Batcave and a couple Civil War sets. I need Giant Man and Black Panther.

TheFuzz

I'm stuck between this and the Batcave as well. One the one hand I know the GB set is a great value and worth the money, but at the same time the build does look a bit "boring." Being as the outside is what I'll see the most, it makes it harder to pull the trigger on it.

As a life-long batman fan, I feel like the cave will be the more enjoyable build and have the better minifigures. First-world problems I guess.

Rootbeer

Banned
Seems Kmart.com is listing some of the March sets... No Spidey bridge though

Linky:

http://www.kmart.com/toys-games-blocks-building-sets/b-20102?subCatView=true&sortOption=NEWEST

Tempting... very tempting... especially since I have $20 in Shop Your Way points... I might have to get a set or two.

*edit* okay... well I had A LOT more shop your way points than I thought... I have no idea how I even accumulate those since I VERY rarely shop at either kmart or sears... but I basically just made a $100 order and only paid $17 thanks to the points... wow. I'm still kind of in shock. Got order confirmation and everything.

So on 2/18 I should recieve Carbon Freezing Chamber, X-Wing Microfighter, Black Panther Persuit and Gotham City Cycle Chase. The other sets I want will wait for S@H.

Boring?

TPR1ozA.jpg

Only as boring as you make it. Also, how is it disappointing? It's a huge set with tons of usable parts for a reasonable price, tons of potential collectability and a completely unexpected but awesome license. The only issue is that the back looks silly and that the structure is wonky if you remove the roof.

Rootbeer

Banned
I dig the fire house very much still. I think a lot of the lukewarm reactions are partly due to the price, people want something with a little more "wow" factor for the hefty cost. But if you are a Ghostbusters fan, how can you not want to own it...

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
The £20 Superhero line is like the best thing ever. Very few duff sets, TLG nailed that price point.

Im in for all three of these new ones yet again.

TheFuzz

Boring?

TPR1ozA.jpg

Only as boring as you make it. Also, how is it disappointing? It's a huge set with tons of usable parts for a reasonable price, tons of potential collectability and a completely unexpected but awesome license. The only issue is that the back looks silly and that the structure is wonky if you remove the roof.

I personally don't find it boring, I was quoting it because it's a complaint that's been leveled against it. I'm a huge GB fan, so it's not a matter of IF really, but when.

ruxtpin

Banned
Applied for a couple of corporate/business positions at Lego. One in the Czech Republic and the other Billund. Chances are slim, but hey - worth a shot!

Dragoshi1

Haha, finally built the Ninjago Mechdragon I forgot I had.

Was sitting in my closet for a year now, found it and finally put it together. Scary looking thing, wish the wings were redone into more weaponry; it looks awesome without 'em.

Also got the Morro Dragon, since I made some room on my shelves.

TheFuzz

Can anyone to the strength (or lack thereof) of the Firehouse HQ roof? I've read and seen some issues with the roof flexing or something? How big of a deal is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom