• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cruzito

Neo Member
Hurray for early releases! Found at my local Walmart. All new Super Hero sets were out.
Picked up Airport Battle, Crossbones, Batman Gotham City Chase.
Held off on Black Panther.
Micros were also out.

Pic below of instruction book, comic and sticker sheet.
Horrified to see a canopy sticker! :(

SlbmxOw.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I wonder if when the Airport Battle is sold on ebay for cheap without minifigures if that will include or not include Giant Man... If the "no minifigures" listings are sold with Giant Man, I'm so gonna buy that.

In the end, I know I would feel bad about ever parting with the figure or any valuable set. Hell, after twenty years, I still feel bad about parting with many of my old Transformers, even if it meant I had money for food and art supplies when I went to college.

In the end, I know I would feel bad about ever parting with the figure or any valuable set. Hell, after twenty years, I still feel bad about parting with many of my old Transformers, even if it meant I had money for food and art supplies when I went to college.

Oh hey, that reminds me when I gave away my old Lego collection because I was tired of Lego back then. All of those 80's space sets...;_;

Fowler

I don't think I've ever opened my Deadpool/Wolverine Chopper set either. I imagine I will probably open it on Friday after I see the film :)

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Brick show reviewed Bat Cave.

Yea, I gotta get it now, no doubt. I was actually just thinking how disappointing the Avengers Airport Battle is when you think about it. Disappointing, over done Quinjet. No new figs except Sharon, the only real draw is the Giant-Man build. I'm leaning back to Bat Cave for double VIP. I love how it looks all together and I think it has room for improvements like building out the whole middle section and putting in a plate for more floor space to bring those little pieces out. The figs look so good and Joker's alt face is so good for that character and shows the designers were familiar with the show.

Looks like shit. And I don't mean the layout, just the color.

MXRider

People are saying that the current Toys R Us Buy-1-Get-1 40% off on Star Wars toys works on Star Wars LEGO too, even though the flier says action figure & roleplay stuff. I have not personal verified, but if you stop into a TRU try it and see.

Could be bogus.

Lots of March sets are showing up at TRU right now. I'm gonna hunt for some tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm this?

valkyre

The worst offender for the Batcave is -indeed- how unfinished the big Mansion part looks.

All these studs (practically empty plates...) could have a ton of detail...

It is so jarring going from one of those videos to the other, mainly for just how polished JANG's videos and editing are compared to Brick Show.

I also find it interesting that the part that JANG loved the most is what Brick Show disliked the most in the set.

In the end, I think I am going to pass on the set after watching those reviews. The figures and some of the builds in it look great, but in the end it does look messy and unfinished. At least that is money saved towards Big Ben, whenever it is announced.

Between Batcave and Hoth, it feels weird this year not to be all giddy about two huge UCS style sets.

Kitsuné;195753656 said:
Picked up my first UCS Star Wars set up yesterday. I'm BEYOND excited!

CDUJq4X.jpg
3s9l5w.jpg

ghostmind

It is so jarring going from one of those videos to the other, mainly for just how polished JANG's videos and editing are compared to Brick Show.

I also find it interesting that the part that JANG loved the most is what Brick Show disliked the most in the set.

In the end, I think I am going to pass on the set after watching those reviews. The figures and some of the builds in it look great, but in the end it does look messy and unfinished. At least that is money saved towards Big Ben, whenever it is announced.

Between Batcave and Hoth, it feels weird this year not to be all giddy about two huge UCS style sets.

I don't know if I am getting more selective in what I pick up, or whether this new crop of Direct sets are just not speaking to me, but after watching the reviews for both the Ghostbusters HQ and Classic Batcave, I've lost whatever motivation I had left to pick them up.

I'm still getting the UCS Hoth set, because Star Wars, but right now I am far more excited about the Spider-Man Bridge Battle than any of the Direct sets so far for 2016.

I think I am getting more selective mainly due to lack of space.

I am still hemming and hawing about Ghostbusters HQ, just like I am after two years and the Sandcrawler.

In the end, I know that Ghostbusters would be mainly for parts, and the build looks cool in some parts and uninspiring in others.

And yes, Bridge Battle is a hype set for me. In a bit I am going to go out and see if any of the Captain America sets leaked out here early so I can get me some Giant Man though.

Kitsuné;195757520 said:
Oh man, don't even mention it. I'm starting a new job in March which will essentially double my disposable income. The temptation, it's real ...

Now hope that the first paycheck comes during double VIP. You can celebrate the new job by dropping all that new cash on some sets you've been wanting for a long time. Like Ewok Village or other UCS sets that are about to disappear. :)

Fowler

I hear the complaints about Ghostbusters, but that one is still a must for me. It's my favourite movie of all time, and will be a great centrepiece for a whole bunch of other (unrelated) sets, I think.

Speaking of UCS sets, i am about to commence building of what will by my second EVER UCS set (after the Death Star) : Ewok Village :)

and yes, i DO of course have a bunch of others left in the backlog ugh

ghostmind

Now hope that the first paycheck comes during double VIP. You can celebrate the new job by dropping all that new cash on some sets you've been wanting for a long time. Like Ewok Village or other UCS sets that are about to disappear. :)

Both the Ewok Village and the UCS Sandcrawler have been qualified as a "high risk" in going OOP in 2016, by various sources.

So if you have interest in either, I would pick them up soon...

The interior details of the GB HQ really impressed me but in the end I have no place to display it properly. I think I am just going to read the instructions and copy some techniques.

TheFuzz

The interior details of the GB HQ really impressed me but in the end I have no place to display it properly. I think I am just going to read the instructions and copy some techniques.

That was my point on the last page: the best parts of the $350 set is stuff you'll never see much of. I told myself I didn't have the space, but the Ferris Wheel is on my list I think. With Jokerland, the Scooby mansion, and it, I think it'd be a great DC/Batman villain display piece.

Can anyone that has Ewok Village displayed chime in and tell me just how hard it is to move the whole thing to a different place after having built it on a table? Kinda concerned since it's so many different pillars etc. or did ya'll build it in the final place it was displayed later?

Koren

Still not convinced by the batcave after seeing it in person, but I found it nicer than on pictures.

Can't pass on GBHQ, it's iconic enough outside to not appear boring to me. I need shelf space, though.

Is there a high risk of Scooby Mansion retiring soon?

ghostmind

Still not convinced by the batcave after seeing it in person, but I found it nicer than on pictures.

Can't pass on GBHQ, it's iconic enough outside to not appear boring to me. I need shelf space, though.

Is there a high risk of Scooby Mansion retiring soon?

"One and done" themes are always a big question mark. I don't think the Scooby theme has sold great, but we also aren't privy to the licensing arrangement. I would keep an eye on the inventory for the set at your local TRU, as well as Amazon, etc. If they start drying up, then it's time to pull the trigger.

iosefe

from what i've heard i'm pretty sure Scooby doo is done. i would need to ask tomorrow. but all we have left is the plane, and the mummy set, and i was told that we aren't getting the others back.

then again that could easily be because our store is a small one and gotta make room for the newer stuff, same reason we didn't get Jurassic world back in our location, i guess. i'll find out

I was gonna pass on the Bat Cave and hope for more 60s sets later but then I saw it in person and I have to have those minifigs. I have to. Especially since I just put in my two weeks and won't have my discount if I wait. ):

Ponn

Banned
This thread is hitting me with some hard reality. I've been saying I need to cut down on set buying, especially with everything being thrown into a backlog pile that i'm just having a difficult time even getting to and enjoying (AoU sets are still in that pile, along with Shuttle Tydirium, Force Awakens MF, Tumbler and modulars). Here I am desperate to get $300 sets to throw on to that pile that i'm not totally enthralled with.

This thread is hitting me with some hard reality. I've been saying I need to cut down on set buying, especially with everything being thrown into a backlog pile that i'm just having a difficult time even getting to and enjoying (AoU sets are still in that pile, along with Shuttle Tydirium, Force Awakens MF, Tumbler and modulars). Here I am desperate to get $300 sets to throw on to that pile that i'm not totally enthralled with.

Maybe you should try to stop being a collector, and only buy sets you really like. I guess it's easy for me to say that though lol since I have a super small budget as a college student

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't mind if Scooby is done with. I love what we got, but it's not the sort of theme I feel like we need lots from. You can drop your scooby gang into other monster sets and it works just fine.

We *DO* however need a return of Monster Fighters or something very much like it.

And LEGO needs to give us an annual Halloween set like they do with the Christmas sets. So much potential.
I dont dare to ask... But how much does the Slave I cost?

$199.99 USD!

After watching Jang's Batcave review I can safely say I am passing without a significant discount. Some great things in that set. But too much that isn't, and with too high of a price tag.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Both the Ewok Village and the UCS Sandcrawler have been qualified as a "high risk" in going OOP in 2016, by various sources.

So if you have interest in either, I would pick them up soon...

Luckily for my wallet I currently don't have any interest in the other available UCS sets. But there's enough other stuff that's appealing to me.. Those upcoming Ninjago waves for instance, right up my alley! And the upcoming Star Wars sets looks pretty nice as well, especially that AT-TE. And I want to hunt down a Ghost as well, so sad that it's OOP already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom