• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was gonna pass on the Bat Cave and hope for more 60s sets later but then I saw it in person and I have to have those minifigs. I have to. Especially since I just put in my two weeks and won't have my discount if I wait. ):

If I were in your shoes, I would buy every UCS and $150+ set on the shelf before I left. Although, if I were in your shoes, I would've probably already bought them all by now. :)

I think once my kids are grown (15 years from now), I wouldn't mind getting a part time job at the Lego store. I want to do that now but they're too young for me to be away from too long.

Ponn

Banned
Maybe you should try to stop being a collector, and only buy sets you really like. I guess it's easy for me to say that though lol since I have a super small budget as a college student

It's extremely hard for me with my "issues'. I have compulsive issues and Lego, while being exciting and constructive for me, also hits the worst parts as well with anxiety of short shelf lives for sets, sudden disappearing of them and very high after market costs. Being a comic collector in the past, was actually so much cheaper for me.

TheFuzz

I was gonna pass on the Bat Cave and hope for more 60s sets later but then I saw it in person and I have to have those minifigs. I have to. Especially since I just put in my two weeks and won't have my discount if I wait. ):

What's your limit on your "goodbyes purchases? I'd be happy to front you some money to grab a Ferris Wheel on your way out. I'd also happily pay shipping and a finders fee :)

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Why is cool stuff so expensive :(

lol, ain't that the truth!

I'm primarily only interested in Star Wars Lego sets, but my other hobby is O scale model railroading, you want to talk about expensive.

An AT-AT keeping an eye on my 4-6-6-4 Challenger

File_000%20%2811%29.jpeg

What's your limit on your "goodbyes purchases? I'd be happy to front you some money to grab a Ferris Wheel on your way out. I'd also happily pay shipping and a finders fee :)

Seconded, but for the Ewok Village. :)

boltz

I feel like Ralphie from A Christmas Story waiting for my bricks and pieces to arrive. No tracking is no fun.

That's one of the advantages of bricklink - you have a pretty good idea of when your order is coming based off of the state the shop is in and it's usually at most several days.

Ordering from pick a brick (I'm assuming the shipping process is the same for bricks and pieces)? I just hate waiting the couple of weeks for those orders to arrive and the tracking can be hit or miss.

Wanderer5

Since I was close by, I checked out the lego shop I go to locally today. Had the Batcave, which bleh I still would only check out a set with the Batmoblie. I saw Ewok Village too.

I got Carnage’s SHIELD Sky Attack, which I think will be bit of a nice companion with the spiderman ghost rider teamup I looking forward to and make a small display with Miles and Peter. Carnage looks really awesome too. Kind of funny, before I was aware of this set, I had mess around with a Miles and Carnage pair in Lego Super Marvel Heroes.

I also saw the Sandman Rhino teamup set that has the spidey with the additonal red color on the legs. Still weird that they gone back to all blue with the upcoming spidey sets.

Holy cow, the Deadpool movie made prices for Wolverine's Chopper Showdown (6866) go through the roof!

After reading your post, I dug through my LEGO stockpile and found 4 sealed boxes of that set. Time to unload those to dig me out of my LEGO moneypit hobby. If only the same could be said of my several sets of Lex Power Armor.

I ventured down the rabbit holes of both Bricklink and Bricks and Pieces last week. By the end of next week I should have my orders.

Bricks and Pieces is fun and it's a rush when you find a cool part in stock (see Sabine Wren helmet). Does anyone know if the March 1 sets show up there at a certain time? I've heard that stuff goes fast.

My next project is to complete a Maersk Line 10155 that I picked up on eBay for $60. It's missing about 15 pieces. I have most except for the Maersk blue tiles, a white technic ball, and a surprisingly expensive white on white lever (I could steal it from UN Headquarters).

I did register my own Bricklink store to. I named it "Heads Will Roll". I don't have any inventory up yet.

I hear you on Bricks and Pieces. I've spent hours going through it. I saw that Sabine helmet and delayed my order by 1 day. It was gone. Not just "out of stock", but completely gone. Just checked again and don't see it anymore at all.

Regarding LEGO Bricks & Pieces, does anyone know if they have inventory refreshes randomly or actually get stuff back in stock? I recall reading it does shut down once in awhile.

Since I was close by, I checked out the lego shop I go to locally today. Had the Batcave, which bleh I still would only check out a set with the Batmoblie. I saw Ewok Village too.

I got Carnage’s SHIELD Sky Attack, which I think will be bit of a nice companion with the spiderman ghost rider teamup I looking forward to and make a small display with Miles and Peter. Carnage looks really awesome too. Kind of funny, before I was aware of this set, I had mess around with a Miles and Carnage pair in Lego Super Marvel Heroes.

I also saw the Sandman Rhino teamup set that has the spidey with the additonal red color on the legs. Still weird that they gone back to all blue with the upcoming spidey sets.

I was at the LEGO Store near me today as well and they had 4-6 Ewok Village sets on the shelf. Anecdotal for sure, but at least they're still available. I'd like to at least hold off until double points are active if I'm going to grab one...

leng jai

Anyone else gone cold on the recent run on big sets? Can't say I've been impressed by the Batcave, Hoth Base, Bank, Detective Office, Helicarrier, Ferris Wheel or GBHQ. Last ones I've bought were the Parisian Cafe, Tumbler and Kwik-E Mart which was a while ago. Not really complaining since I'm saving a lot of money and have no space anyway, but I'm kind of getting the itch to build something new.

Hanging out for the UCS Snowspeeder.

Nitemare1

Anyone else gone cold on the recent run on big sets? Can't say I've been impressed by the Batcave, Hoth Base, Bank, Detective Office, Helicarrier, Ferris Wheel or GBHQ. Last ones I've bought were the Parisian Cafe, Tumbler and Kwik-E Mart which was a while ago. Not really complaining since I'm saving a lot of money and have no space anyway, but I'm kind of getting the itch to build something new.

Yeah nothing has really caught my eye as of late. Almost bought the detective office just to have a big set to put together but still havent pulled the trigger. UCS Snowspeeder would be nice!

I hear you on Bricks and Pieces. I've spent hours going through it. I saw that Sabine helmet and delayed my order by 1 day. It was gone. Not just "out of stock", but completely gone. Just checked again and don't see it anymore at all.
Oh, good thing I got my Sabine helmet (BOBA FETT HELMET "DEC NO 5") order in last week. I haven't gotten it yet but I got a notice that it shipped. I have $15 worth of other stuff in my cart but haven't ordered yet because I've put in 2 orders in the last week.

$25 worth of BNP does not come out to much by way of volume.

That just reminded me I ordered something from Bricks and Pieces at the beginning of this month, I wonder when the hell am I getting it...

EDIT: Oh, never mind then. I guess it just isn't a super fast service.

boltz

I would love to have a ferris wheel to display on a shelf, but the base of that thing is so darn massive. I was expecting it to be able the size of a modular base, but when I saw it in a Lego shop, I was like "Hell noo..."

Oh, good thing I got my Sabine helmet (BOBA FETT HELMET "DEC NO 5") order in last week. I haven't gotten it yet but I got a notice that it shipped. I have $15 worth of other stuff in my cart but haven't ordered yet because I've put in 2 orders in the last week.

$25 worth of BNP does not come out to much by way of volume.

I don't have cable so I can't watch Rebels. What is this helmet everyone is gushing about? What set is it from?

That just reminded me I ordered something from Bricks and Pieces at the beginning of this month, I wonder when the hell am I getting it...

EDIT: Oh, never mind then. I guess it just isn't a super fast service.

They are hand picked by Juan Valdez to ensure the finest LEGO elements.
Og6AZAe.jpg

Seriously though, my package came in from the LEGO homeland stating they were hand picked.

Damn thats one great minifig pack. I might just have to get that for spare minfig parts.

Is that a record for minfigs in one set? I see 15. Damn!

Depends on what you consider a comparable set. Lego Education Community sets contain 20+ minifigures. You can still get this 9348 Education Community Minifigures Set from Amazon for under MSRP.

http://brickset.com/sets/9348-1/Community-Minifigure-Set
http://brickset.com/sets/9349-1/Fairytale-and-Historic-Minifigure-Set
http://brickset.com/sets/9247-2/Community-Workers

Cruzito

Neo Member
Nice, any idea if they are pad printed or not?

They are not pad printed. They are digitally printed, but are of the highest quality I've seen. I collect a lot of customs and they are breaking printing barriers with their latest works.
You can catch them on flickr - highonbricks.

Some fun below with Deadpool customs and "the one"...
"There can be only one!!"

nfvhxou.jpg

They are not pad printed. They are digitally printed, but are of the highest quality I've seen. I collect a lot of customs and they are breaking printing barriers with their latest works.

nfvhxou.jpg

The first one you posted is excellently designed and captures the movie costume perfectly. I checked out their website. Those are pretty hefty prices, but the quality from what I can tell in the photos looks top notch. I've paid near those prices for some custom minifigs, but I can't afford to anymore. It's a massive money pit getting into buying high quality custom minifigs.

I will never sell my Deadpool minifig. It's the perfect head for adding humor.
It is highly recognizable even when you add all sorts of hair pieces or hats.
8053687356_202d97b1f6_n.jpg

They are hand picked by Juan Valdez to ensure the finest LEGO elements.

Seriously though, my package came in from the LEGO homeland stating they were hand picked.

Oh yeah mine said it was hand picked too so I figure that's why it took so long. Though getting the bricks has given me an idea for a MOC but I am gonna need a whole lot more.

Fowler

It already is, but I expected more pieces for debris.

Next year I guess we can get the Hosnian system UCS set with multiple planets!

I'm disappointed with this UCS. Like the Hoth base, it feels like a collection of parts instead of a cohesive set.

Also, no exclusive minifigs? At least give me Jimmy Smits' arm, c'mon LEGO.

On the bright side, I don't think I see any stickers...

I'm disappointed with this UCS. Like the Hoth base, it feels like a collection of parts instead of a cohesive set.

Also, no exclusive minifigs? At least give me Jimmy Smits' arm, c'mon LEGO.

On the bright side, I don't think I see any stickers...
And it is lame we will need the new Death Star UCS to complete this set

The Resistance X-Wing Fighter is a color swap of Poe's X-Wing right? It looks totally underwhelming and really nothing like the movie model.

Also, the Vader TIE Advance x1 vs A-Wing couldn't have been a worse disappointment.. What the hell is that A-Wing?

wetwired

nfvhxou.jpg

Some digital prints are better than others, none can match pad printing for me but some are close. I'd be tempted to go that route myself if the printers weren't so damn expensive. It does allow for a lot more variety, you don't need to make hundreds of a product to be cost effective, you can do small runs of 10-20 units with digital which is highly appealing

ghostmind

Great article on Brickset right now about "Whatever happened to baseplates?":

http://brickset.com/article/19387/whatever-happened-to-baseplates

This has been bothering me for a while, as I keep seeing set after set being released which would have benefited enormously from having a baseplate (or multiple). Not only do they tie the elements of a set together, but the raised plates could be used to make a much more impressive structure out of a smaller parts count.

LEGO knows this too, which is why they use box art to simulate the baseplate effect, without having to actually include one. Just look at the "Fun in the Park" set above as an example, or the upcoming Service Station. Now take a look at other recent sets that would have benefitted from having a baseplate (the Arctic/deep sea/volcano city subthemes for example), and imagine how much better they could have been. Furthermore, go through some older sets on Brickset that had baseplates, and now imagine if that baseplate had been removed - it sure diminishes a lot of sets.

LEGO has its reasons, one of which im sure is maximizing profit, but I've been hoping that they reverse their current policy, and we see the return of the baseplate.

Ponn

Banned

This has been bothering me for a while, as I keep seeing set after set being released which would have benefited enormously from having a baseplate (or multiple). Not only do they tie the elements of a set together, but the raised plates could be used to make a much more impressive structure out of a smaller parts count.

LEGO knows this too, which is why they use box art to simulate the baseplate effect, without having to actually include one. Just look at the "Fun in the Park" set above as an example, or the upcoming Service Station. Now take a look at other recent sets that would have benefitted from having a baseplate (the Arctic/deep sea/volcano city subthemes for example), and imagine how much better they could have been. Furthermore, go through some older sets on Brickset that had baseplates, and now imagine if that baseplate had been removed - it sure diminishes a lot of sets.

LEGO has its reasons, one of which im sure is maximizing profit, but I've been hoping that they reverse their current policy, and we see the return of the baseplate.

Certainly would make the recent overpriced City sets a better value. a couple white baseplates would make Hoth a little more palatable as well. Ferris Wheel desperately needed one, its a nightmare to relocate.

Man I used to love some of the raised baseplates from the 80's and 90's, some of them were really cool like the space ones and the pirate/castle ones. One of my favorite ones is the baseplate from the Ice Planet base. And who can forget one of the greatest baseplates ever, the space one with the asteroid crater in the corner?

Ponn

Banned
You know I would love to see a Creator style pool set. Like a big community pool with buildable pool toys and floats and maybe a grill and picnic table with overhang or big umbrella. Have a diving board and like a lifeguard type stand.

Osahi

mU2zCP1.jpg

You know I would love to see a Creator style pool set. Like a big community pool with buildable pool toys and floats and maybe a grill and picnic table with overhang or big umbrella. Have a diving board and like a lifeguard type stand.

I actually had this baseplate as a kid. I loved to build houses on it. You could cover up the pool with plates for the winter. Or with a trapdoor to launch an enemie in the pool, that had SHARKS! (ah, childhood was incredible)

Man I used to love some of the raised baseplates from the 80's and 90's, some of them were really cool like the space ones and the pirate/castle ones. One of my favorite ones is the baseplate from the Ice Planet base. And who can forget one of the greatest baseplates ever, the space one with the asteroid crater in the corner?

I loved the raised castle baseplates, especially because of the way you could make a dungeon with the hole in the middle.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFCutlTIv9BQ6QB953cw~~60_1.JPG

iosefe

I loved the raised castle baseplates, especially because of the way you could make a dungeon with the hole in the middle.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFCutlTIv9BQ6QB953cw~~60_1.JPG
I remember finding the instructions for this set am building it in Minecraft. It was nice. There was another castle courtyard that transferred really well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom