• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

That baseplate for Poolside Paradise was used oh so well. Let's not ignore the fact that it was a really well designed set.

Just googled the set, because I couldn't remember what it was.

The memoriesè (The palmtree was awesome!). It must have been a set my sisters got though, as I usually got Castle and Western sets. (Every one of my three older siblings played Lego a lot, so when I grew up I allready had a MASSIVE amount of sets and bricks. My mom still has a big case of Lego bricks in the attic. Might hold some much wanted classic sets, but will be a hell to sort.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dang it Paramount, you know how much better LEGO could have done this?

Enterprise_crop_0.jpg

Wanderer5

Also, the Vader TIE Advance x1 vs A-Wing couldn't have been a worse disappointment.. What the hell is that A-Wing?

It actually looks a bit better than I thought heh, but meh. Throw in the kind of ridiculous star wars tax with this set and it just really hard to shallow.

Maybe during a sale I don't know, but I might just stick with the Prototype even with this being Vader's personal TIE.

Have some interests with that Eclipse Fighter too, but that be a down the road thing if I go for it. Star Wars wise I likely least check out the advent calendar this time around through. Where do I get that type of set?

Certainly would make the recent overpriced City sets a better value. a couple white baseplates would make Hoth a little more palatable as well. Ferris Wheel desperately needed one, its a nightmare to relocate.

Pick up the Ferris Wheel just under the connection point of the center of the wheel with the support beams. It is extremely solid there and you can use the connections at the center of the set almost like handles to move it.

Can anyone that has Ewok Village displayed chime in and tell me just how hard it is to move the whole thing to a different place after having built it on a table? Kinda concerned since it's so many different pillars etc. or did ya'll build it in the final place it was displayed later?

It had been a long time since my daughter and I build that but if I remembered correctly we build it on my sofa coffee table and you can moved the individual tree by not connecting the bridge. I don't remember it was difficult I put the threes that are close together on green plate though and moved them that way. The tree that was connect to a bridge I move it separately then reconnect the parts.

On another note, my local Fred Myers got in the March Star Wars set. Looking at the Bespin Carbonite chamber just make me sad that we didn't get a good proper one. They could have done an awesome large set or UCS one. Also that Hoth Attack set look terrible, the Probe Droid look comical at best. This and the super lame UCS Hoth set just got me so down on Star Wars set this year. I also find it ironic that they are going to release that UCS Hoth but the AT-AT is out of print.

Wanderer5

So going through Carnage's SHIELD sky attack, damn at the amount of detail for Carnage. So much print, and the tentacles add on to his back is cool. Miles and the SHIELD guy are great too. I like the light blue detail they have with Miles' eyes.

They pretty much did the best they could with Miles. Least he doesn't need a additional color to his legs.:p

Overall the figures and the nice small vehicle come together to make up a pretty neat cheap set.

So I was at the Lego store this past weekend and found out a Doctor Who Ideas set was released. I had no idea! Snatched it up! Can't wait to get some free time to build it :)

Also, I know a few here have gone to SDCC and gotten the Lego exclusives.

If I'm going to press my luck and get tickets, what day do they usually have those on?

peely

Neo Member
Great article on Brickset right now about "Whatever happened to baseplates?":

http://brickset.com/article/19387/whatever-happened-to-baseplates

This has been bothering me for a while, as I keep seeing set after set being released which would have benefited enormously from having a baseplate (or multiple). Not only do they tie the elements of a set together, but the raised plates could be used to make a much more impressive structure out of a smaller parts count.

LEGO knows this too, which is why they use box art to simulate the baseplate effect, without having to actually include one. Just look at the "Fun in the Park" set above as an example, or the upcoming Service Station. Now take a look at other recent sets that would have benefitted from having a baseplate (the Arctic/deep sea/volcano city subthemes for example), and imagine how much better they could have been. Furthermore, go through some older sets on Brickset that had baseplates, and now imagine if that baseplate had been removed - it sure diminishes a lot of sets.

LEGO has its reasons, one of which im sure is maximizing profit, but I've been hoping that they reverse their current policy, and we see the return of the baseplate.

Thanks for sharing the article, good read and I completely agree with you. I get that sets can be playable without baseplates, but linking your various town/city stuff together really brought everything together. The layouts in the catalogues were always something to aspire to.

Loved my airport with 4 baseplates for a runway, having to use carpet/some other non Lego surface or buying bits to make one out of Lego I think detracts from immersion. But what do I know, I'm some 30-something looking back to the 80's glory days :p

If I were in your shoes, I would buy every UCS and $150+ set on the shelf before I left. Although, if I were in your shoes, I would've probably already bought them all by now. :)

I think once my kids are grown (15 years from now), I wouldn't mind getting a part time job at the Lego store. I want to do that now but they're too young for me to be away from too long.

I definitely have a list of sets I wanna snag before leaving, Ferris Wheel, Wall-E, Mystery Mansion, 60s Bat Cave (no effing way I would ever pay full price for that), the Ninjago Temple, possibly Ewok Village (super on the fence about it). Luckily, my coworkers have offered to let me use their discount once I'm gone if I want (uh, doy! I'm not gonna pay $200 for that giant Minecraft village set later this year hehehehe) But I'm saving some stuff for April so I can get the Mr Freeze minifig too, I figure I can get one of the last three Modulars I need to snag him.

And leave that 50% discount behind! My, my, my! Well I hope you are happy where you are moving on to.

Man, to have 50% off LEGO though. I have fantasies!

Yeah, I got moved up to full time at my other job a few months ago and was working Lego just on the weekends, but they just recently switched to CRONOS or something where a computer does the scheduling so I have literally been working non-stop with no breaks since the beginning of the year. Actually I think I've had two days off in the past two months? But even the 50% discount isn't worth that when I have absolutely zero time to even build what I'm buying. I wanted the GB HQ so bad and it's just been sitting under my bed untouched since January 1st. ):

What's your limit on your "goodbyes purchases? I'd be happy to front you some money to grab a Ferris Wheel on your way out. I'd also happily pay shipping and a finders fee :)

I don't know if there's a "goodbye purchase" limit or anything, employees do have a yearly limit though. I think I've bought maybe three sets this year so far (Firehouse HQ and... uh that might actually be it) so I haven't even dented the limit. The only thing is that the Ferris Wheel is one of the sets I was gonna try to grab before leaving and I think they'll only let me get one. ): If anything changes though I'll definitely let you know!

Seconded, but for the Ewok Village. :)
Same with you, only we might not even have any left D: Last time I worked (last Saturday) we only had I think 4-5? And with the rumors of its imminent retirement, bastard reseller fucks have been swarming our store.

It's always bothered me that there's like no way for employees to buy things online and still get our discount. I think we had to like check with our manager, then they check with corporate, and then we get some kind of code, but it's only 20-30% off. And that was the old way, I think because of some debacle with the Simpsons House last year we're actually not allowed to get online discounts at all any more. And we can't buy online, return to store, and rebuy with discount either. Really lame for stuff that was available online but gone from our stores. ):<

This is disgusting. Also, either the stores he's buying from are breaking Lego rules or he's full of shit because there is a limit of 16 per customer on CMF series. There's no possible way for him to walk into a store and buy a full case, let alone multiple cases to blow out the stock, especially in a single day. He could go back multiple times a week but we're supposed to prevent shit like this from happening for this very reason. I wonder if he has an "in" with a shitty Lego employee that's helping him get away with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Credit goes to DIGGEH... he spotted a Buy 1 Get 1 Free sign for Dimensions Fun Packs at his local Best Buy. This stacks on top of the Gamer's Club Unlocked discount and other sales. A lot of figures are 7.49 right now, before GCU and B1G1 applied.

Don't stores have limits?

LEGO stores do. Target, Toys R US, etc. do not. you can buy everything you see if you want.

Anyway, joke is on this hoarder. Resell value for minifigures is not that great on bricklink. One or two figures may go up a bit, the rest stay close to MSRP for a long time.

Now on eBay, he may be able to snag more suckers, which is sad :/

mojiimbo

Don't stores have limits?
That's pretty much exactly why they have the 16 minifig limit through LEGO direct. Pretty sure most don't mind if you hit 17, 18...20 figures. It's mostly there as a safeguard to stop guys buying up whole cases.
Credit goes to DIGGEH... he spotted a Buy 1 Get 1 Free sign for Dimensions Fun Packs at his local Best Buy. This stacks on top of the Gamer's Club Unlocked discount and other sales. A lot of figures are 7.49 right now, before GCU and B1G1 applied.
Does the register do the B1G1F automatically, in-store or do you have to point out the sign and have a manager need to manually adjust it? I tried doing it on the website and it didn't take.

Jimbro72

Also, I know a few here have gone to SDCC and gotten the Lego exclusives.

If I'm going to press my luck and get tickets, what day do they usually have those on?

I believe the small exclusive sets that are limited to 1000 are usually available every day but only 250 each per day. As far as those carded minifigs, those seem to be one different one given out each day (via a lottery system, I think) in very limited numbers and that is it. So if you're not there the day a specific figure is being given out, then you're kind of screwed if you wanted it without paying the huge premium after the fact.

Rootbeer

Banned
That's pretty much exactly why they have the 16 minifig limit through LEGO direct. Pretty sure most don't mind if you hit 17, 18...20 figures. It's mostly there as a safeguard to stop guys buying up whole cases.
Does the register do the B1G1F automatically, in-store or do you have to point out the sign and have a manager need to manually adjust it? I tried doing it on the website and it didn't take.

it doesn't appear to be on the website, I was looking earlier. They could add it though.

as long as the sign for B1G1F is somewhere at your local best buy, and you have GCU, it should be all automatic at the register, but of course I would look it over carefully on the little screen before paying. If the sign is out I'd think they would have to honor it.

Bigfoot

I prefer the 16x16 plates over baseplates. You could put a few plates together and get the same effect, plus they take up a lot less space when put away.

Even as a kid I always felts that baseplates were flimsy. I'm happy to see them mostly go away since I've got back in to Lego recently.

Great article on Brickset right now about "Whatever happened to baseplates?":

http://brickset.com/article/19387/whatever-happened-to-baseplates

This has been bothering me for a while, as I keep seeing set after set being released which would have benefited enormously from having a baseplate (or multiple). Not only do they tie the elements of a set together, but the raised plates could be used to make a much more impressive structure out of a smaller parts count.

LEGO knows this too, which is why they use box art to simulate the baseplate effect, without having to actually include one. Just look at the "Fun in the Park" set above as an example, or the upcoming Service Station. Now take a look at other recent sets that would have benefitted from having a baseplate (the Arctic/deep sea/volcano city subthemes for example), and imagine how much better they could have been. Furthermore, go through some older sets on Brickset that had baseplates, and now imagine if that baseplate had been removed - it sure diminishes a lot of sets.

LEGO has its reasons, one of which im sure is maximizing profit, but I've been hoping that they reverse their current policy, and we see the return of the baseplate.

Yeah, a LOT of play sets could be improved with base plates and give them a more grounded feel. Also the ninjago temple i feel would benefet tremendously from a blue one that simulates water like in the box art.

That being said, i really dont like the more complicated base plates with elevated terrain. Theyre waaaay too specialized. Im only a fan of the 32x32 ones.

mojiimbo

it doesn't appear to be on the website, I was looking earlier. They could add it though.

as long as the sign for B1G1F is somewhere at your local best buy, and you have GCU, it should be all automatic at the register, but of course I would look it over carefully on the little screen before paying. If the sign is out I'd think they would have to honor it.
Best Buy are pretty great about updating their website with B1G1F promotions and having parity between physical and web stores so it's probably just a left over sign from when they were running B1G1F a week or two ago that someone forgot to take down since I can't find anyone else replicating the deal on SD or CAG.

Oh well, I had a $5 RZ cert expiring tomorrow so I picked up Gimli and Legolas anyways since they were the last two I needed to finish my fellowship. Anyone know if they at least do anything cool in the game(I'm waiting for it to get firesaled at $30 or less since I still have the newest LEGO Batman and the back compat LEGO Star Wars game on my XBone digital game backlog.)

Best Buy are pretty great about updating their website with B1G1F promotions and having parity between physical and web stores so it's probably just a left over sign from when they were running B1G1F a week or two ago that someone forgot to take down since I can't find anyone else replicating the deal on SD or CAG.

Oh well, I had a $5 RZ cert expiring tomorrow so I picked up Gimli and Legolas anyways since they were the last two I needed to finish my fellowship. Anyone know if they at least do anything cool in the game(I'm waiting for it to get firesaled at $30 or less since I still have the newest LEGO Batman and the back compat LEGO Star Wars game on my XBone digital game backlog.)

That's probably the case. I'm at the Lego dimensions display at Best Buy in Emeryville, CA and there's no sign. Oh well.

tUyp06U.jpg

here is the sign. Sorry don't know what to tell ya if you don't see it at your local store.

Hey Zulithe! Don't you go to the same Best Buy in Emeryville too? I didn't see the sign at all. I looked all over.

Now I'm at Target next to Best Buy and they have the Olaf polybag in the Easter section. $3.99

Is $20 for LEGO Dimensions level packs the best price we've seen?

Seems like Amazon is matching Best Buy or something. I'm eyeing the Doctor Who and Portal level packs.

Speaking of base plates...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019J38RKS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pretty good deal.

That is a really good deal. That's about what it would cost with the old prices before the outrageous price increase.

That package would cost almost $40 MSRP.

boltz

Anyone have the Imperial assault carrier? I'm tempted to get it because you can get it for around $90 now and I love the idea of a ship that transports other ships :)

The thing that is holding me back is that the proportions don't look quite right.

Also got an email from TRU that they are having 20% all city, Creator, and friends sets.

Markus

Oh well, I had a $5 RZ cert expiring tomorrow so I picked up Gimli and Legolas anyways since they were the last two I needed to finish my fellowship. Anyone know if they at least do anything cool in the game
Legolas is one of only two characters who can use the pole vault switches. Gimli's only ability is super strength, which is more common.

Is $20 for LEGO Dimensions level packs the best price we've seen?

Seems like Amazon is matching Best Buy or something. I'm eyeing the Doctor Who and Portal level packs.
Asides from Amazon (briefly) accidentally stacking discounts they shouldn't have on preorders for the Ghostbusters and Midway Arcade packs, that's probably the best. (Plus if you're a Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked member you get 20% off that $20.)

They also have 71229 the Joker & Harley Quinn level pack for $7.49!
Team pack, not level pack.

ghostmind

Disney Infinity is previewing their next version on March 1st, so I'm wondering if LEGO will review the future of Dimensions around that time as well...

Ponn

Banned
Is it just me or has there been a lack of VIP early release sets this year compare to others. Last year it seemed like we had one big VIP early set every month.

wetwired

Whoa...definitely something up with LEGO Dimensions. Are they not selling well or is LEGO willing to take a hit to gain market share?

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J4LAZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ghostbusters Stay Puft Fun Pack - LEGO Dimensions

List Price: $14.99
Price: $7.49 Free Prime shipping once available
You Save: $7.50 (50%)

Damn, I was excited as they actually ship to Australia for these (it's very intermittent what they do and don't ship to AU) But even though they're half price, after postage it's still cheaper to buy them locally. Crazy expensive postage.

Damn, I was excited as they actually ship to Australia for these (it's very intermittent what they do and don't ship to AU) But even though they're half price, after postage it's still cheaper to buy them locally. Crazy expensive postage.

I can only imagine how expensive the hobby is for you and other AFOLs down under. I've had the same thing about intermittent shipping from Amazon France.

Nexo already on clearance? Damn.

I dunno, retail as you probably know very well is a strange beast. I've seen LEGO sets go on hefty clearance at some of the big retailers like Target and Walmart. Then when new inventory of new sets comes in, some of those same exact sets that were on clearance are back in stock. Toys R Us is a different beast. They don't seem to clearance stuff until they are getting rid of the last of their inventory of a LEGO set and don't plan on getting more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom