• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

JANG acts like a spoiled baby sometimes, to be honest.

Doesn't exclude the fact that he has a point. Lego has had this planned for months if not a year and they can't even fulfill their launch day. It's kind of a big middle finger from Lego to all the people who constantly drop money on their products.

Rootbeer

Banned
Doesn't exclude the fact that he has a point. Lego has had this planned for months if not a year and they can't even fulfill their launch day. It's kind of a big middle finger from Lego to all the people who constantly drop money on their products.
He said it took him 1.5 hours to get to the LEGO store, and arrived home after 3 hours. Doesn't sound like he got there very early to me.

I was in line for about 4 hours when my local LEGO store had its grand opening to get the freebies given out that day.

The website is a whole different issue. But even then, if he had tried that route instead (which he could have, since it happened way before he would have had to get in line somewhere), he might have a falcon in his house right now if he put in the effort and used the fastest shipping. I know some got theirs cancelled, so that's not a guarantee. But it would be better than having nothing to show for it.

It just doesn't sound like he put in enough effort and research if he really wanted one.

leng jai

Anyone know if any small boat sets with the same aethestic as the OFS? Seems like there should be one next to it. I have one of the generic brown row boats but looking for someone a bit more elaborate.

Koren

I find this a bit harsh... It's not easy to build stock and avoid leaks. Also, guessing demand is a game of luck sometimes.

The only thing they really should correct is their website. It crashes as soon as there's a release, and it's not that reliable in normal times.

Who is going to be the first to post pics of the finished product?
My chance at it will really depend if I can avoid Lego cancelling the order ;)

leng jai

At least this means there is probably tons of stock for the OFS. Haven't really heard much interest for it, everyone is just talking about the MF 24/7.

Jimrpg

JANG acts like a spoiled baby sometimes, to be honest.

I think he's a little too obsessed with getting things first and getting those reviews out before anyone. And when he can't manage that, he pouts.

I don't always agree with JANG, and while there is a little bit of frustration there in that post, he's not wrong that he could be a lot more productive with that $900. He's making plenty of money I'm sure on his site, but its nice to take a step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture, he shouldn't get it, if he doesn't even want the thing afterwards.

Also for me personally the more Lego sets I have, the more choosy I seem to be.

papluh

Europeans: 70618 Destiny's Bounty is 30% off on Amazon UK
Due to quite low basic price in UK plus low pound/eur ratio it is around 40% off or more for most Europe. I have Prime but it looks not to be limited.

I think I'll start a fleet...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Europeans: 70618 Destiny's Bounty is 30% off on Amazon UK
Due to quite low basic price in UK plus low pound/eur ratio it is around 40% off or more for most Europe. I have Prime but it looks not to be limited.

I think I'll start a fleet...

Oh man. It’s a pretty boat and would go nicely next to my son's PotC ship (can’t remember which one he has). But I need to be selling excess sets to put towards a MF fund..

Koren

Not exactly 40%, in fact not even 30% because Amazon.fr is also discounting it (at ~130€), but under 100€ with shipping, it's still a steal. Thanks for the warning...

(And somehow, thanks to brexiters... I'm just sorry for those who wanted to stay)

iuuk

I'm considering cancelling my Falcon (back-)order (hoping for a better deal than the €850 it costs in the Netherlands), but the current message on their website has me worried whether it'll ever be well stocked;
On Thursday, September 14, the LEGO Group gave its VIP members an opportunity to purchase the LEGO® Star Wars™ Millennium Falcon™. We are thrilled by the positive response to the set, which is the largest we’ve ever released so far. We can assure all our fans around the world, that we are doing everything we can to make more sets available and keep our LEGO builders happy.
That makes it sound like they're only going to have small batches available every now and then, Nintendo classic style.

Haines

Banned
The falcon wasnt a full release, and they would never have enough product when you account for all the scalpers.

Thats just how releases work. The people who miss out get frustrated.

But theres a LOT of people in this world of ours.

Shortages dont bother me. Quality if product is what i care about and sometimes people get so caught up in if they can get one, they forget if they should.

As far as jang goes, im assuming its his job. He shouldnt act like a such a whiner. All he had to do was sell it after he was done with it in reality and that would have solved like 2 of his problems.

Our household is very excited for the new movie.

Koren

Shortages dont bother me.
They don't bother me either, and I'm willing to wait 6 months if needed (assuming they take money at shipping, in this case).

But what I don't want is having to spend hours (days) or messing with stock alerts to be able to place an order. For this reason, I really hope my order won't get cancelled. Even more so when there's the neat black card involved (not a big deal, but I really want one).

ericb!

Neo Member
It just doesn't sound like he put in enough effort and research if he really wanted one.

I'm sure you're right. It sounds like his motivation to buy the MF was more out of obligation than for desire. He would purchase, build, and review the set as a service to his viewers. After Thursday's unsuccessful attempt to purchase a copy, JANG came to the conclusion that additional attempts in the near future were just not worth it. This is a logical decision.

I'm curious to see how many people end up selling the set because they have no place to display it, or they realize that they purchased it mostly on hype compounded by a black VIP card with vague references to future sales and deals.

Koren

And how many of the buyers are scalpers...

I bought it myself (or I hope I have) because when I came back to Lego, it was one of the set I wish I had been able to buy (alongside a couple modulars, UCS lambda shuttle and boats). So I have had time to think about it. And the thing I really didn't like in the original one, the cockpit, has been redone (alongside several other things)

I wish it was 600€, but well...

Haines

Banned
They don't bother me either, and I'm willing to wait 6 months if needed (assuming they take money at shipping, in this case).

But what I don't want is having to spend hours (days) or messing with stock alerts to be able to place an order. For this reason, I really hope my order won't get cancelled. Even more so when there's the neat black card involved (not a big deal, but I really want one).

Yeah its certainly a pain in the butt and the black card feels like a but of a reward for dealing with the nonsense.

ghostmind

Yeah, it seems like he severely underestimated the demand vs supply, and I'm not sure how he expected to arrive at the store opening and still get one.

That said, only having 3 Falcons as the store allocation seems ridiculous and a major supply screw up by LEGO. The guys from BrickVault had to line up 13 hours before store opening, because their store only got 2 Falcons!

Somehow my store was allocated 22 units, and I am thankful for that, because if it had only received a few I would have missed out, despite arriving 4.5 hours before opening (which got me to 7th in line).

So I understand JANG's frustration, but I'm baffled on how he could have misread this situation so badly.

It is a tricky situation figuring out demand. If they made too little (which it is obvious they did), then they have lots of people turned away and lost sales, and customers have no real clue as to when they can expect the product. It also leads to confusion and disappointment when there is so little of the product to go around.

On the other hand, if they made too many, they would be sitting on a ton of stock that takes up a lot of space and then lose money that way.

Really what they should have done is do a preorder a month or so out (or however long production time is to get one out there) to gauge what kind of stock they needed for opening day, including extra copies for walk up customers. Or at least be able to give more concrete estimates on how long you would have to wait.

Now they are doubly screwed because they don't have adequate stock for the actual launch day. This was just an early release for select customers and they screwed the pooch.

It seems like the only thing LEGO got right in this one was shipping out the online orders ASAP, since some already have their set. They have been getting much better on that front over the past year.

DBT85

Really shouldn't bother me that a set I won't build for over a month isn't here yet, but since I ordered it before most in the UK on Thursday morning I'd at least have liked it to have left the poxy warehouse by now.

Experien

Looks like PB isn’t the only one justifiably disappointed by the whole MF debacle- Jang isn’t even going to review it:

http://www.jangbricks.com/2017/09/the-best-thing-that-could-have-happened.html?m=1

Man, this story and headline is so familiar. I always comes out when a limited product is released/pre-ordered and someone can't get it. "Man, [company] sucks because they didn't make 2 billion units so I could get one easily."

Same with NES Classic, SNES Classic, limited editions, Switch consoles, cell phones, etc. People always throw up this same "proclamation" that the company screwed up/botched release and caused a debacle with a release of a limited product. It is limited, you aren't guaranteed it. And doubly so with this near 8k piece product. People seem to be expecting them to have a wall of these things anywhere?

It is just mind blowing to see these go-to-solutions when someone doesn't get a product they want easily. I'm sorry, but if you wanted this product (or any limited product) from a store and you weren't even there before it opened, no sympathy.

Note: I didn't get a MF.

So I understand JANG's frustration, but I'm baffled on how he could have misread this situation so badly.

Because that is the outcome he really desired, even if it is unconsciously. He was trying to justify the purchase but really could not come with a decent reason to do it, so unconsciously he sabotaged his efforts. I can relate to it since I usually do that to myself too. Next phase is lying that it is not his fault and blame the supplier. See?

I think JANG's issue was that this big store only got 3 of the product. That is a shockingly low number for a launch day. At least that is how I am reading it.

Yes, he should have shown up earlier. But what if he showed up hours early and was fourth in line, only to get into the store to find out that he was SOL? That would have been more annoying.

Because that is the outcome he really desired, even if it is unconsciously. He was trying to justify the purchase but really could not come with a decent reason to do it, so unconsciously he sabotaged his efforts. I can relate to it since I usually do that to myself too. Next phase is lying that it is not his fault and blame the supplier. See?

You can blame the supplier for not being more transparent about what stock levels would be like. If they said "a few" like he said, that could mean many things. But if they blatantly said, "We have three." that changes things.

And many issues with this launch are the suppliers fault. From the shoddy website that can't handle traffic, to a situation like I and Koren are in.

Having said that, there are many things that are the customer's fault and not the supplier. Like not being there early. That is definitely on JANG.

Koren

Same with NES Classic, SNES Classic, limited editions, Switch consoles, cell phones, etc. People always throw up this same "proclamation" that the company screwed up/botched release and caused a debacle with a release of a limited product. It is limited, you aren't guaranteed it.
Having to wait is one thing, being unable to buy it at all is another. Most of your examples are NOT limited.

The problem I have with NES Classic is that Nintendo kept saying "everyone that want one will be able to get one". That was, very simply, false.

There's no point in him spending a huge amount of money for a set he doesn't want, and then building it and filming it and recording a video for a review where hundreds of them already exist and are completely adequate.

There's plenty of other content he can make with the resources from that one build and one review.

ericb!

Neo Member
It is just mind blowing to see these go-to-solutions when someone doesn't get a product they want easily. I'm sorry, but if you wanted this product (or any limited product) from a store and you weren't even there before it opened, no sympathy.

I don't see JANG's post as an attempt to solicit sympathy. He clearly states that his inability to purchase the set, even if it was his fault, turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I'll take the man at his word.

I think JANG's issue was that this big store only got 3 of the product. That is a shockingly low number for a launch day. At least that is how I am reading it.

Yes, he should have shown up earlier. But what if he showed up hours early and was fourth in line, only to get into the store to find out that he was SOL? That would have been more annoying.

You can blame the supplier for not being more transparent about what stock levels would be like. If they said "a few" like he said, that could mean many things. But if they blatantly said, "We have three." that changes things.

And many issues with this launch are the suppliers fault. From the shoddy website that can't handle traffic, to a situation like I and Koren are in.

Having said that, there are many things that are the customer's fault and not the supplier. Like not being there early. That is definitely on JANG.

Yes, all Lego faults, we know it. But that is the thing too: we knew about it, it is not their first messed release, it actually happens with almost every major release and MF is the most desirable set of all. Thus he cannot blame that he was not aware of the situation and was cought off guard. Many of us took precautions, planned to try to buy it online and on stores, tried really hard. If course, there were people (like you) that even doing everything possible for them ended without it because of another randon stuff. But it did not seem that he really tried so hard, driving to a store to its opening hour is not good enough plan and he had no backup plan. That is why I am saying that he really did not to buy it and was looking for some justification.

Yes, all Lego faults, we know it. But that is the thing too: we knew about it, it is not their first messed release, it actually happens with almost every major release and MF is the most desirable set of all. Thus he cannot blame that he was not aware of the situation and was cought off guard. Many of us took precautions, planned to try to buy it online and on stores, tried really hard. If course, there were people (like you) that even doing everything possible for them ended without it because of another randon stuff. But it did not seem that he really tried so hard, driving to a store to its opening hour is not good enough plan and he had no backup plan. That is why I am saying that he really did not to buy it and was looking for some justification.

I don't think he was caught off guard by the demand, just the low amount of stock. And again, he should have gotten there early.
I see where you are coming from, but there are so many issues with this launch. Even if my order went through correctly, I would still be criticizing it, just not as harshly. And this launch was just a bigger screw up than usual because of the hype and demand for the set.
This was the perfect storm of an iconic set getting a revision, and something that was catnip for scalpers.
There are a lot of things LEGO needs to do to make launches like these easier. They could start with improving their website. But I do think they need to get a preorder system in place and be able to give more concrete ship times like they sometimes do on product.

simplyred

Neo Member

Excuse the interruption, I have been lurking around for a long time and only recently gained privileges to post.

The millennium falcon availability thrusted me to jump in.

Most stores in US received a stock of only 3 (I was the fourth person in line at 23rd st / NYC at 8am and walked away empty handed)

I think TLC was quite aware about the demand but underestimated the supply logistics. It's a consistent pattern with all major releases. I would assume that based on yearly orders received based on zip codes and themes a more predictable demand can be calculated. But no.

I am surprised for a market as big as NYC the stores had just 3 MF in stocks! I believe there were 18 ppl after me, that is $19,000 lost revenue just in one location.

The website is yet another underperforming asset and all of us here couldn't agree more.

TLC should on a minimum implement a model similar to kickstarter to gain early investment into a product cycle, this would provide an exact number of demand, weed out speculators (one product per person / per household / per credit card) based on how quickly the 1st round fills up a 2nd round can open up to folks who didn't get round one. Eventually folks who want more than one can find stock in stores. (Store availability could be pushed out to 6 months)

I am sure there are many ways to optimize this.
I think our community here can put Up a framework of ideas and send it to TLC. We can create a feedback loop to avoid a similar situation.

I don't think he was caught off guard by the demand, just the low amount of stock. And again, he should have gotten there early.
I see where you are coming from, but there are so many issues with this launch. Even if my order went through correctly, I would still be criticizing it, just not as harshly. And this launch was just a bigger screw up than usual because of the hype and demand for the set.
This was the perfect storm of an iconic set getting a revision, and something that was catnip for scalpers.
There are a lot of things LEGO needs to do to make launches like these easier. They could start with improving their website. But I do think they need to get a preorder system in place and be able to give more concrete ship times like they sometimes do on product.

He said that when he was arriving at the store he saw a customer going out with a Falcon. Out of their three in stock. So even if we don't know how much that guy waited on line before the store opened it is a fair assumption that if Jang got there earlier he may have bought it. Some of us here waited 4 hours in line, he expected to walk in and buy it.

Well, I really like Jang's work and reviews he is one of the best out there. Amazing dedication, but not in this case.

"All other reviewers already got it from Lego a week ago". Well, you chosed to be independent (and that is great) for more honest and impartial reviews, but sure also to better control your gains (I am sure he makes a good money from his work). So why now to complain about it? You know the game.

"It is a $900 set that I really don't want and have no space to display it". Sure you can sell it the day after for the same price you got it.

"It will be 2 days to build it and more to review it." Well, I don't know if he has another job or this is his primary ocupation, but jobs are not 100% joy all the time, sometimes you have to do stuff that you really "don't fell you doing so". After all, it is useful for other people.

"By the time I finished it the review will be irrelevant". You don't do it for driving sales, you do it to inform people. He is acting like his review should be only praise. No, he can tell people about the set shortcomings, about the used technics, building experience etc. There are still a lot of people that did not or was not able to buy it, the review would be usefull for those people. Even who already own it would like the hear his thoughts,

"I could do better other things with the time". Well, this is the only think I believe he is right. His schedule and resources are limit, so he has to choose how to spend them, he cannot review 100% of the sets. But that us the reason he should have put to explain why he is not reviewing the MF, not an endless justification of it.

Excuse the interruption, I have been lurking around for a long time and only recently gained privileges to post.

The millennium falcon availability thrusted me to jump in.

Most stores in US received a stock of only 3 (I was the fourth person in line at 23rd st / NYC at 8am and walked away empty handed)

I think TLC was quite aware about the demand but underestimated the supply logistics. It's a consistent pattern with all major releases. I would assume that based on yearly orders received based on zip codes and themes a more predictable demand can be calculated. But no.

I am surprised for a market as big as NYC the stores had just 3 MF in stocks! I believe there were 18 ppl after me, that is $19,000 lost revenue just in one location.

The website is yet another underperforming asset and all of us here couldn't agree more.

TLC should on a minimum implement a model similar to kickstarter to gain early investment into a product cycle, this would provide an exact number of demand, weed out speculators (one product per person / per household / per credit card) based on how quickly the 1st round fills up a 2nd round can open up to folks who didn't get round one. Eventually folks who want more than one can find stock in stores. (Store availability could be pushed out to 6 months)

I am sure there are many ways to optimize this.
I think our community here can put Up a framework of ideas and send it to TLC. We can create a feedback loop to avoid a similar situation.

Welcome. Hopefully my anger over the last few days hasn't put you and others off. My apologies if it has.

He said that when he was arriving at the store he saw a customer going out with a Falcon. Out of their three in stock. So even if we don't know how much that guy waited on line before the store opened it is a fair assumption that if Jang got there earlier he may have bought it. Some of us here waited 4 hours in line, he expected to walk in and buy it.

Well, I really like Jang's work and reviews he is one of the best out there. Amazing dedication, but not in this case.

"All other reviewers already got it from Lego a week ago". Well, you chosed to be independent (and that is great) for more honest and impartial reviews, but sure also to better control your gains (I am sure he makes a good money from his work). So why now to complain about it? You know the game.

"It is a $900 set that I really don't want and have no space to display it". Sure you can sell it the day after for the same price you got it.

"It will be 2 days to build it and more to review it." Well, I don't know if he has another job or this is his primary ocupation, but jobs are not 100% joy all the time, sometimes you have to do stuff that you really "don't fell you doing so". After all, it is useful for other people.

"By the time I finished it the review will be irrelevant". You don't do it for driving sales, you do it to inform people. He is acting like his review should be only praise. No, he can tell people about the set shortcomings, about the used technics, building experience etc. There are still a lot of people that did not or was not able to buy it, the review would be usefull for those people. Even who already own it would kile the hear his thought.

"I could do better other things with the time". Well, this is the only think I believe he is right. His schedule and resources are limit, so he has to choose how to spend them, he cannot review 100% of the sets. But that us the reason he should have put to explain why he is not reviewing the MF, not an endless justification of it.

Fair enough. I definitely see where you are coming from.
Sorry if it seemed I was dismissive earlier. My brain is all over the place this weekend with homework that I didn't give the previous post or JANGs response the attention I should have.

Welcome. Hopefully my anger over the last few days hasn't put you and others off. My apologies if it has.

Sorry if it seemed I was dismissive earlier. My brain is all over the place this weekend with homework that I didn't give the previous post or JANGs response the attention I should have.

Nah, sorry if I sound a little to rough too. It was not directly at you and I can understand your frustration.

And the posts about Lego mishandling are all spot on.

Ryuuroden

I hope you get your ship, It really is worth it.

Haines

Banned
Seen the issue of displaying the falcon come up a lot.

Those who are getting one. How do you plan on solving this issue

Snaku

Banned
I'm considering cancelling my Falcon (back-)order (hoping for a better deal than the €850 it costs in the Netherlands), but the current message on their website has me worried whether it'll ever be well stocked;

That makes it sound like they're only going to have small batches available every now and then, Nintendo classic style.

I mean just like Nintendo, it's on Lego to meet demand. If I'm completely unable to order a UCS Falcon from them before it retires (either because they lowball production to keep demand at a fever pitch and/or scalpers snatch them up as fast as they can make em), I know Lepin will happily sell me one for a fraction of the price and zero headache. Just like if I'm unable to buy an NES Classic again, I'm just going to buy a retropi.

Seen the issue of displaying the falcon come up a lot.

Those who are getting one. How do you plan on solving this issue

For me, probably going to initially put it on top of my AV rack, where Disney Castle used to be. Carousel and Destiny's Bounty are there now.
It should fit there if I am remembering the size of the set in store.

After that, I do want to figure out some custom stand solution so I can put it upstairs with all the other Star Wars stuff. But now having to decide what to tear down and put away because of no space. I haven't had Imperial Shuttle assembled in over 3 years due to lack of space. Same with Death Star.

Top Bottom