• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Reminder that 2X VIP is now active on S@H and LEGO stores in North America, until March 16th.

If you don't have the 70751 Temple of Airjitzu, at $160USD sale price, plus 2X VIP, this would be a good time to pick it up before it goes OOP.

Buy this damn set, people! It is so good.

And who wants to bet they extend double VIP until the end of the month?
EDIT:
And Assembly Square ordered!

Now to hope they extend double VIP and order Silent Mary

willp2003

Double VIP is up in the UK too.

Is there any other free-gift promos coming between now and when it ends or should I just get stuff now?

It says you should get a free batmobile, but nothing was added to my basket. It might be only if you order super heroes sets.
There's a free City police car from the 13th, but that is when you order a City set.

magawolaz

Double VIP should be up for all Europe.

I told myself I would only buy the Mercedes GT3, but shipping is almost as much as the car.
Thinking about buying the Resistance Troop Transport since it's half off, what do you say? And then something else for around 3-5€ to get free shipping... any ideas?

It says you should get a free batmobile, but nothing was added to my basket. It might be only if you order super heroes sets.
There's a free City police car from the 13th, but that is when you order a City set.
I have the batmobile in my basket after I added the Resistance Troop Transport, maybe there's a minimum purchase requirement.

Double VIP should be up for all Europe.

I told myself I would only buy the Mercedes GT3, but shipping is almost as much as the car.
Thinking about buying the Resistance Troop Transport since it's half off, what do you say? And then something else for around 3-5€ to get free shipping... any ideas?

I have the batmobile in my basket after I added the Resistance Troop Transport, maybe there's a minimum purchase requirement.

Get a Brickheadz.

willp2003

I ordered assembly square so that should hit the minimum value! I did order just after midnight, so maybe their system wasn't fully working. I'll wait and see what arrives.

_Rob_

I ordered assembly square so that should hit the minimum value! I did order just after midnight, so maybe their system wasn't fully working. I'll wait and see what arrives.

I think it only applies to retiring items the way this reads:
2fmk9s9.png

RTT must be a gigantic flop. I see it on sales everywhere and it doesn't seem to move even on half off. I would suggest that it would make it valuable, but resellers are probably also swooping down on these offers.

Osahi

Still on the fence if i'll buy the F40 for double VIP. I love the Creator Expert car series, but I'm not a fan of the car itself...

No other sets really peak my interest at the moment for double VIP. The UCS Tie is even with double VIP too espensive to my tastes. The few regular sets I am considering will probably be heavily discounted in regular toy shops, which would exceed the savings I can make from double VIP.

(And as I'm in Belgium: no discounted retiring soon items :( )

Bought Parisian Restaurant on double VIP. The other sets on my wishlist will stick around till the next double VIP so I should be set for a while!

Ponn

Banned
The final parts for the TAS Batmobile arrived today so I finished putting together my LACK-based lightbox and took some pics, quite happy with how it turned out, the lightbox and the batmobile.

I just don't understand why TLG won't make a set like this. They make a batmobile set at least once a year, why can't they just fit an iconic version like this in.

The final parts for the TAS Batmobile arrived today so I finished putting together my LACK-based lightbox and took some pics, quite happy with how it turned out, the lightbox and the batmobile.

Nicely done! As others have said, that Batmobile is terrific.

Post a pic of the LACK!

Ryuuroden

Been breaking into my backlog this last weekend. Built the temple of airjitsu. Its a really beautiful set. Some nice techniques but what really sells it is the aesthetics.

DonShula

Bought Parisian Restaurant on double VIP. The other sets on my wishlist will stick around till the next double VIP so I should be set for a while!

I think I'm going to get it on Friday. I'm still not sure between it and Palace Cinema. The roof on the Palace Cinema is amazing and the entire thing looks like it will display well. But everyone here says I should get the restaurant first. I want them both but really should only get one right now...

DonShula

Any idea when the next Star Wars sets will release in the US? I see there are an A-Wing and land speeder that are available already overseas. My son would love a smaller set that includes Luke Skywalker.

Ahh! Thanks. And yeah, you're right, I've seen that EVERYWHERE even in Hong Kong...

I can understand it. Even though it's a nice build and it's cool to get Leia, they really, really should have come up with something else, like a war room or something (and get an excuse to put R2 in there). The RTT is a flying brick and appears for ten seconds. What kid on Earth would want that over an X-Wing or a TIE or Ren's shuttle?

For all that people claim that Star Wars movies are selling toys, TFA really isn't much of a merchandising scheme. The snow speeder was cut, the landing craft were slightly important for a brief scene, and the rebels all used X-Wings. That they're making a set of the goddamn five second gag from the beginning or some weird internal playset of Han's freighter says a lot.

I fully expect there to be the full assortment of rebel ships plus a few new ones (L- and R-wings?) in the next movie and especially the ninth.

Any idea when the next Star Wars sets will release in the US? I see there are an A-Wing and land speeder that are available already overseas. My son would love a smaller set that includes Luke Skywalker.

They should be available since March 1st.

RTT must be a gigantic flop. I see it on sales everywhere and it doesn't seem to move even on half off. I would suggest that it would make it valuable, but resellers are probably also swooping down on these offers.

I can understand lack if interest as it's not an eye catcher. Build factor can't be conveyed via box art. I only bought it because LEGOGAF recommendations and it was on sale. It did deliver on build enjoyement. I'd buy more of the set for parts if I ever see it at 40% or more off. I haven't seen it at that price around my parts.

As for gigantic failure, overproduction could also contribute. It was Star Wars after all.

DonShula

I can understand it. Even though it's a nice build and it's cool to get Leia, they really, really should have come up with something else, like a war room or something (and get an excuse to put R2 in there). The RTT is a flying brick and appears for ten seconds. What kid on Earth would want that over an X-Wing or a TIE or Ren's shuttle?

I think you're right. We got my 10 year old nephew the RTT for Christmas because I got a great deal on it. He wasn't blown away. I think my brother in law liked it more.

Thank you - I missed them because they're on backorder from S@H. Hopefully they have some in-store.

magawolaz

For all that people claim that Star Wars movies are selling toys, TFA really isn't much of a merchandising scheme. The snow speeder was cut, the landing craft were slightly important for a brief scene, and the rebels all used X-Wings. That they're making a set of the goddamn five second gag from the beginning or some weird internal playset of Han's freighter says a lot.

I fully expect there to be the full assortment of rebel ships plus a few new ones (L- and R-wings?) in the next movie and especially the ninth.
I would have put C3PO in there. But yeah it's really ugly, I'm considering it only because it's half off and the build looks interesting.
I wish there were starships in the range of €20...something between the microfighters and the €40+ sets... I'd be all over them.

wetwired

I would have put C3PO in there. But yeah it's really ugly, I'm considering it only because it's half off and the build looks interesting.
I wish there were starships in the range of €20...something between the microfighters and the €40+ sets... I'd be all over them.

I just bought one to get leia and akbar. My ship has never been built and is still in the bags in the box

Coming to a new appreciation for how the instruction manuals are now where they show you which parts you use for each step. Putting together some of these older sets (Just reassembled Enchanted Island) and as usual, I end up with several large pieces and no idea which step I missed. Don't really run into that issue so much with the newer sets.

Now to enjoy the Islanders base in its full glory

Coming to a new appreciation for how the instruction manuals are now where they show you which parts you use for each step. Putting together some of these older sets (Just reassembled Enchanted Island) and as usual, I end up with several large pieces and no idea which step I missed. Don't really run into that issue so much with the newer sets.

Now to enjoy the Islanders base in its full glory

Agreed. Even as a kid, I knew how awesome the inventories per step in Technic sets were. No more living in fear of every step and overlooking a piece only to find out ten steps later you screwed up.

Fowler

Yeah, it's funny, because I feel the First Order Transporter is sold out in most places and that's equally generic... but it comes with a bunch of stormtroopers...

(Incidentally, I agree with you on TFA, but Rogue One felt a bit like an excuse to sell toys.)

Ponn

Banned
I'm really surprised we have had two new Star Wars movies so far and haven't had some of the more iconic vehicles/ships done yet. I for sure thought we would get an updated Rogue One AT-AT being such a big part of their marketing but nada. I wonder if they maybe blew their load that one year where they released both an AT-AT and Star Destroyer at the same time.

Anyone else not really interested in those giant brick sculptures? I saw the capital building one in dallas but didnt even get up close cause its just regular bricks stacked on top of each other and no other interesting techniques for the most part. And the shape is easy to figure out since its a real life object. Anyone could do that if they had that much lego and time. Im more interested in fictional stuff or builds that use clever techniques I guess.

_Rob_

Is there some sort of support group for Bricklink users, I think I might have a problem... On the bright side it will be nice to build something original as opposed to following instructions.

You guys and this topic are like a gateway drug.

wetwired

Is there some sort of support group for Bricklink users, I think I might have a problem... On the bright side it will be nice to build something original as opposed to following instructions.

You guys and this topic are like a gateway drug.

on my LUGs facebook page one guy proudly stated he'd reached the 100 orders milestone. I checked mine and it was 348 and I hadn't even noticed any of the "milestones" go by :/

bovo

What kid on Earth would want that over an X-Wing or a TIE or Ren's shuttle?
My 11 year old saved his birthday money for Poe's X-Wing, then in the shop saw the Resistance Troop Transport and chose that instead! Wanted it to go with the first order transport he already had (probably for the stormtroopers) as could re-enact battles.

I just bought one to get leia and akbar. My ship has never been built and is still in the bags in the box

I know you're not a huge SW LEGO guy, but it really is a fantastic build. The thing is super dense and looks terrific when built. My only problem with it is that there isn't much happening inside, and it's tough to display.

For my money it was the most interesting design in TFA. I'm still hoping that we get more Rebels ships - the Combat Frigate & AT-TE hold zero interest for me but I'd love to get Sabine's colorful Tie Fighter or that fantastic orange Blade Wing.

Koren

Not fond of Ninjago too, but the Temple is a very special set, you can forget it's Ninjago...

Temple of Airjitzu or Simpson's House.

Overriding consideration: which is likely to be retired sooner.
I'd say Simpsons' House, most expected it to be retired last year. Temple of Airjitsu is in 1st half 2017, apparently, and they may want to keep it till the movie.

Still, it's out of stock in some Lego online shops and has already been discounted often (I think it is / was recently -20% on canadian store) so they may try to get rid of it.

If you want both, I'd suggest not waiting too long.

Temple of Airjitzu or Simpson's House.

Overriding consideration: which is likely to be retired sooner.

Simspons for it being a parts pack with some cool mini builds that Marcos Bessa excels at.

Airjitzu for being everything a great LEGO set should be. Parts pack, playset, build, display, etc.
The only real negative is not enough people have bought and built it.

Slave 1
It's 🐐

I've got simpsons house, really cool set x it's Simpsons
I hate everything ninjago
Much of the overly mechanized Ninjago stuff I dislike, but the Temple is just classic Japanese architecture. So wonderful to build and display. One of the GOAT sets.

Slave 1 is indeed awesome. But Airjitzu is superior.

mclem

A question that's been nagging me, given I might take advantage of it during double-VIP:

Is there any site that tracks differences between multibuild sets? That is, gives a list of extra bricks to purchase if you want to make multiple of the models at the same time?

I ask because I'd like to make both default Maze layouts simultaneously, and I'm not sure what bricks I need to purchase to do so. I know I'll need a second version of the 'baseplate' (actually made up of multiple flats in itself), but a piece breakdown of that - and any other differences - would be really handy.

A question that's been nagging me, given I might take advantage of it during double-VIP:

Is there any site that tracks differences between multibuild sets? That is, gives a list of extra bricks to purchase if you want to make multiple of the models at the same time?

I ask because I'd like to make both default Maze layouts simultaneously, and I'm not sure what bricks I need to purchase to do so. I know I'll need a second version of the 'baseplate' (actually made up of multiple flats in itself), but a piece breakdown of that - and any other differences - would be really handy.

I'm not sure how much use there'd be for a resource like this so I'm reasonably sure it doesn't exist. I can't think of many LEGO sets that work like Maze, the rest would use almost an entire new version of their set to make their alternative build so I don't think there'd be much for a website like this to actually say. It's really only Maze where 80% of the build is identical and the rest is interchangable that you'd need this information!

(I haven't actually opened mine yet so can't comment on this case, either, but it doesn't look expensive based on pictures alone.)

Top Bottom