• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

mclem

Are you looking to make an exact replica or will you accept substitutes? Because if you're going 100% original, you'll probably find that all the expensive parts are the ones still missing.

http://www.beardednerd.se/completing-lego-cafe-corner-10182/

I mentioned some useful changes in here. You don't need the window pieces, the 2x10 brick or the dark blue half arches, for example.

At some point I need to do a stock take of the various arbitrary sets I've purchased to pick up odd uncommon parts for a Cafe Corner build, I wonder how far off I am.

ruxtpin

Banned
At some point I need to do a stock take of the various arbitrary sets I've purchased to pick up odd uncommon parts for a Cafe Corner build, I wonder how far off I am.

I'm dreading this so much. I've got duplicates and sometimes triplicates of sets I've seen on sale. Been better at cutting back and only buying big sets now, but eventually when I break down all those duplicates for parts - it's going to take me months. I'm hoping more than a few of them will magically shoot up in price, so then I'll easily be able to justify selling instead of keeping for parts.

mclem

I'm dreading this so much. I've got duplicates and sometimes triplicates of sets I've seen on sale. Beep better at cutting back and only buying big sets now, but eventually when I break down all those duplicates for parts - it's going to take me months. I'm hoping more than a few of them will magically shoot up in price, so then I'll easily be able to justify selling instead of keeping for parts.

It's little things like "Oh, that one's got a rare door!" "Oh, those pillars aren't common!"

I've bought more Spongebob Squarepants than I ever expected to, let me tell you.

It's little things like "Oh, that one's got a rare door!" "Oh, those pillars aren't common!"

I've bought more Spongebob Squarepants than I ever expected to, let me tell you.

Those actually have some decent sets though! I mean... Bikini Bottom Undersea Party is pretty awesome

Thank you Target gonna be a good weekend

n2a1JKol.jpg

Brickseek showed them in stock at multiple targets in michigan so i stopped by they werent out on the shelf but i gave them the DCPI and they got them from the back for me they are not street dated in there system so if they have them you can buy them.

DCPI if anyone needs them

Quadjumper - 204-00-1976
Rathtar Escape - 204-00-1977

DonShula

Well done. Looks like all my area stores have these. Getting them out from the back is probably another thing entirely.

Brickseek says in stock at only 16% and 11% respectively, so we must be in the minority.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I feel dirty for buying a complete set of series 17 Minifigures for 75 euros. I remember being able to buy complete sets for under 50, but they've been increasing the prices.

Boogiepop

So I finally finished organizing my old parts to figure out what I had, and in turn figuring out what I'm still missing to finish the Cafe Corner. (I could in theory break down a few random things to add some pieces here and there). So yeah... definitely want to get the $300 or so left on the remaining parts down further.

I haven't messed with substitutes at all yet, though. Anyone have a good straightforward list of substitutions (preferably with part numbers for ease of use)? I'd honestly be willing to sacrifice a fair bit of accuracy for cheapness, as long as it doesn't full on look bad or anything. (Btw, is there a good resource for quickly showing where a piece is used in a set to assess how it could be substituted? For example, I actually have one of those grey parrots laying around randomly, so I could get that one obvious one front and center properly. But then I can't immediately see the other ones the list calls for... Any tool for speeding this up, or is it down to looking through the instructions?)

Edit: Actually, what's that digital Lego 3d model... thing, I've seen used in here before? Would be nice if there was an easy way to play around with subbing parts and seeing how they look...

Here's a peep at Mr. Bloodborne Hunter:

Ik4Vw9j.jpg

I was just going to build him a large axe but those discs from the Carnage vs Shield set caught my eye and I knew what had to be done: Pizza Cutter, baby!

So I finally finished organizing my old parts to figure out what I had, and in turn figuring out what I'm still missing to finish the Cafe Corner. (I could in theory break down a few random things to add some pieces here and there). So yeah... definitely want to get the $300 or so left on the remaining parts down further.

I haven't messed with substitutes at all yet, though. Anyone have a good straightforward list of substitutions (preferably with part numbers for ease of use)? I'd honestly be willing to sacrifice a fair bit of accuracy for cheapness, as long as it doesn't full on look bad or anything. (Btw, is there a good resource for quickly showing where a piece is used in a set to assess how it could be substituted? For example, I actually have one of those grey parrots laying around randomly, so I could get that one obvious one front and center properly. But then I can't immediately see the other ones the list calls for... Any tool for speeding this up, or is it down to looking through the instructions?)

Edit: Actually, what's that digital Lego 3d model... thing, I've seen used in here before? Would be nice if there was an easy way to play around with subbing parts and seeing how they look...

Lego Digital Designer is useful, but then you'd need to have the model in there. I bet someone has made Café Corner, but I'm not sure if it helps.

* Parrots are in four faces of the corner tower, so they're fairly obvious.
* 2x10 brown bricks can be replaced by smaller parts
* dark blue pillars are fairly prominent
* the front door is quite specific so you should get it, but the side door can be replaced with another colour
* the dark blue arch is fairly important
* the dark blue half arches can be replaced with any colour
* I think there is a newer version of the dark red slopes for the roof
* the 2x4 white windows have a newer version with double opening panes rather than one
* the 2x3 panels that make up the second floor windows have newer versions that are easily found
* light gray turntables are silly, but if you look at the instructions they might be replacable with jumper plates

I think Café Corner can be finished much more easily than Market Street since most parts can be replaced. Market Street has the doors and the tubes all along the front side.

Target DCPI for summer sets maybe you can get lucky and get them early also :)

Batman Movie

204-00-1956 - Scarecrow Fearful Faceoff $14.99
204-00-1957 - Bane's Toxic Truck $49.99
204-00-1958 - Two Face's Double Demolition $59.99
204-00-1959 - The Batwing $89.99
204-00-1960 - The Ultimate Batmobile 129.99

Star Wars

204-00-1968 - $14.99 FO Battle Pack
204-00-1969 - $14.99 Bounty Hunter Battle Pack
204-00-1976 - $49.99 Jakku Quadjumper
204-00-1977 - $69.99 Rathtar Escape
204-00-1978 - $24.99 Republic Fighter Tank
204-00-1979 - $24.99 Vader Transformation
204-00-1980 - $69.99 Tracker I
204-00-1981 - $89.99 Arrowhead
204-00-1855 - STORMTROOPER COMMANDER $24.99
204-00-1856 - SCOUT TROOPER $54.99

Boogiepop

Lego Digital Designer is useful, but then you'd need to have the model in there. I bet someone has made Café Corner, but I'm not sure if it helps.

* Parrots are in four faces of the corner tower, so they're fairly obvious.
* 2x10 brown bricks can be replaced by smaller parts
* dark blue pillars are fairly prominent
* the front door is quite specific so you should get it, but the side door can be replaced with another colour
* the dark blue arch is fairly important
* the dark blue half arches can be replaced with any colour
* I think there is a newer version of the dark red slopes for the roof
* the 2x4 white windows have a newer version with double opening panes rather than one
* the 2x3 panels that make up the second floor windows have newer versions that are easily found
* light gray turntables are silly, but if you look at the instructions they might be replacable with jumper plates

I think Café Corner can be finished much more easily than Market Street since most parts can be replaced. Market Street has the doors and the tubes all along the front side.
Awesome, thanks for this! Gonna see how well I can whittle this down...

In a related note: just out of curiosity, is there some sort of trick to popping the little 2x2 turntable bits into their parts? Was going to pop them out of some blue ones I had sitting around to save a tiny amount, but... turns out that's a tricky task.

Rootbeer

Banned

Batman Movie

Star Wars

AWESOME

I can confirm some stores here on the west coast have the Batwing and Batmobile among others. They are starting to spread their way around.

Boogiepop

So, I think I have my list set for bricklink, but... should I trust the "buy wizard" for finding the cheapest options, or should I be looking out for anything in particular? Like, right now it's got a nice price, but it's from like 6 places, and 2 of them don't have a ton of reviews. Is that something I should be especially afraid of, or no?

(I've got like zero experience using bricklink. I've, like, ordered a minifigure off of there once, but that's the extent of it.)

STPBMW

Neo Member
So, I think I have my list set for bricklink, but... should I trust the "buy wizard" for finding the cheapest options, or should I be looking out for anything in particular? Like, right now it's got a nice price, but it's from like 6 places, and 2 of them don't have a ton of reviews. Is that something I should be especially afraid of, or no?

(I've got like zero experience using bricklink. I've, like, ordered a minifigure off of there once, but that's the extent of it.)

Hello. Along with hanging out here and being an avid LEGO collector, I am also a Bricklink seller to help fund my LEGO addiction. I would say that you should check the Terms tab for each of those stores to make sure they don't have any crazy shipping charges or lot limits or extremely high extra fees(i.e. in my store I charge the Paypal discounted shipping rate with either a $1 fee on smaller orders or $.50 fee on larger orders). In some cases, it may be better to pay a few more cents per piece and just pay 2 or 3 separate shipping/fee rates rather than the 6 that the system is setting you up for. For the second part of your question, I have had good success on Bricklink with most other sellers when making purchases, the stores with fewer reviews may just be small stores or newer stores. Also, Paypal and Bricklink have pretty solid buyer protection/dispute resolution if any problems should arise.

Hope that helps, if you want to check out my store for reference it is Brody Brant's Bricks. Though, I am not sure I have any of the pieces you are after. My username is the same as here on Bricklink.

STPBMW

Neo Member

Batman Movie

Star Wars

Thanks for sharing, only one store in my area has them and is quite a drive. I wonder if a few of the others have received the shipment, but just haven't scanned them into inventory. I would love to pick them up early.

Boogiepop

Hello. Along with hanging out here and being an avid LEGO collector, I am also a Bricklink seller to help fund my LEGO addiction. I would say that you should check the Terms tab for each of those stores to make sure they don't have any crazy shipping charges or lot limits or extremely high extra fees(i.e. in my store I charge the Paypal discounted shipping rate with either a $1 fee on smaller orders or $.50 fee on larger orders). In some cases, it may be better to pay a few more cents per piece and just pay 2 or 3 separate shipping/fee rates rather than the 6 that the system is setting you up for. For the second part of your question, I have had good success on Bricklink with most other sellers when making purchases, the stores with fewer reviews may just be small stores or newer stores. Also, Paypal and Bricklink have pretty solid buyer protection/dispute resolution if any problems should arise.

Hope that helps, if you want to check out my store for reference it is Brody Brant's Bricks. Though, I am not sure I have any of the pieces you are after. My username is the same as here on Bricklink.

Awesome, thanks for all this. Looked through and tried playing around, but it looks like the "best rate" was better than trying to aim for smallest amount of stores by a fair bit (presumably thanks to some of the slightly unusual parts involved), at least assuming the stores don't, like, blindside me with some crazy shipping rate outside of what it looked like they were listing. And if nothing else, that's a good point on potential protection/resolution in case, like, the stuff arrives and it's a blatant bag of bootleg parts or something, so that helped me take the shot with a bit more confidence!

Now let's hope that everything comes in fine, and I didn't make any horrifying unforeseen mistakes in my substitutions!

(And sorry, tried checking with your shop but I couldn't quite make it work this time around. But I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future!)

STPBMW

Neo Member
Awesome, thanks for all this. Looked through and tried playing around, but it looks like the "best rate" was better than trying to aim for smallest amount of stores by a fair bit (presumably thanks to some of the slightly unusual parts involved), at least assuming the stores don't, like, blindside me with some crazy shipping rate outside of what it looked like they were listing. And if nothing else, that's a good point on potential protection/resolution in case, like, the stuff arrives and it's a blatant bag of bootleg parts or something, so that helped me take the shot with a bit more confidence!

Now let's hope that everything comes in fine, and I didn't make any horrifying unforeseen mistakes in my substitutions!

(And sorry, tried checking with your shop but I couldn't quite make it work this time around. But I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future!)

Glad to help. I figured that because most of my pieces are from sets parted out in the last 2 years, they probably wouldn't be what you needed. But, If you or anyone else wants to buy from me now or in the future, let me know,I will try to work out a discount and won't charge any fees other than shipping.

I was going back and forth on posting these pics as i was gonna wait till my army was complete and i had the new first order battle pack but im too excited to not share.

sozCB4mh.jpg

Bk3ru3Hl.jpg

EZn8jAPl.jpg

i have more pics but i didnt want to post them all and take up to much space so i will just leave a link to the album http://imgur.com/a/NGHEq

Osahi

I was going back and forth on posting these pics as i was gonna wait till my army was complete and i had the new first order battle pack but im too excited to not share.

sozCB4mh.jpg

Bk3ru3Hl.jpg

EZn8jAPl.jpg

i have more pics but i didnt want to post them all and take up to much space so i will just leave a link to the album http://imgur.com/a/NGHEq

Cool set-up! Getting crowded there!

How is the Quadjumper?

I wasn't paying attention to the order of figures when I first started (the middle section), but was intrigued to see where in a box figures fell when packed in. I know distribution across the box is the same, but always wondered if placement in a box was identical between each box.

Go back to front, left to right. If (BIG IF) placement is identical per box, the best place to find Rocket Boy is near the front of the left hand side of a box. Highwayman is around the middle of the right hand side. Highest concentration of 80s aerobics girl was at the front of the right hand side.

This was just a fun way to satisfy some curiosity as I opened everything tonight.

I wasn't paying attention to the order of figures when I first started (the middle section), but was intrigued to see where in a box figures fell when packed in. I know distribution across the box is the same, but always wondered if placement in a box was identical between each box.

Go back to front, left to right. If (BIG IF) placement is identical per box, the best place to find Rocket Boy is near the front of the left hand side of a box. Highwayman is around the middle of the right hand side. Highest concentration of 80s aerobics girl was at the front of the right hand side.

This was just a fun way to satisfy some curiosity as I opened everything tonight.

I only felt through about half an opened box, but it seems plausible. I didn't come across an elf until I started on the middle section (starting from the front right), and I don't think I ever felt the retro space guy.

Edit: Aaaand... GotG vol 2 has been viewed and Yondu and Mantis have been ordered. I don't really need to buy the others again, and I don't care for any of the builds, so for once I'll just get the figures loose. I don't care for Ayesha or Taserface either.

wetwired

There's a pretty comprehensive rebuilding of official sets in LDD over on eurobricks, it's in one giant thread though and not easy to find individual ones, generally search the thread for the set name of set number

mrkgoo

sozCB4mh.jpg

Bk3ru3Hl.jpg

EZn8jAPl.jpg

I like how it appears you have random lego pieces on the floor and opened lego bags... :)

Ponn

Banned
I only felt through about half an opened box, but it seems plausible. I didn't come across an elf until I started on the middle section (starting from the front right), and I don't think I ever felt the retro space guy.

Edit: Aaaand... GotG vol 2 has been viewed and Yondu and Mantis have been ordered. I don't really need to buy the others again, and I don't care for any of the builds, so for once I'll just get the figures loose. I don't care for Ayesha or Taserface either.

What about baby groot?

Maddog

I have the chance to buy this (http://imgur.com/a/zxU0s) for a great price but the pictures the person posted are quite poor. I have to drive a bit to get to the person and don't want to waste my time.

Does anyone see anything that might indicate if these pieces are real or not? I can't seem to make out if Lego is on the studs or not. It concerns me that the green plate in the first picture does not seem to have LEGO on it.

Also it looks like some of the plates have an imperfection on one of the studs. I'm not at home so I can't check but is that normal?

Thanks.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Question for you guys and gals, why do you not just buy from LEGO directly for some of these sets? Free shipping, a bonus mini pack in, and the VIP points which can go toward something else outweighs just picking it up at Target or Toys R Us for me. I understand if the brick and mortar stores are having a sale for like 20% off, but when they're full price, I see no reason to buy from there except for maybe convenience of not having to wait for it to be shipped or if you don't have a LEGO store withing driving distance.

Just curious, not hating or anything, haha.

Ponn

Banned
Question for you guys and gals, why do you not just buy from LEGO directly for some of these sets? Free shipping, a bonus mini pack in, and the VIP points which can go toward something else outweighs just picking it up at Target or Toys R Us for me. I understand if the brick and mortar stores are having a sale for like 20% off, but when they're full price, I see no reason to buy from there except for maybe convenience of not having to wait for it to be shipped or if you don't have a LEGO store withing driving distance.

Impatience is probably a big factor. If you are referring to the Star Wars and Batman sets above Target is breaking street date, those sets aren't available at the Lego stores till June 1st. Overall I only really use Lego S@H for the freebies and exclusive sets. Even with VIP points I can usually get every set cheaper from Amazon and Target on consistent sale.

DonShula

Sales and convenience are the reasons not to buy from the Lego Store.

If you wait long enough and keep an eye out, you can get a lot of stuff 50% off. I used to think 20% was the "buy" threshold but the needle has moved.

Lego Store is straight MSRP most of the time. And some of the MSRPs on these licensed sets are shameful. $70 for the TIE Striker? You'd have to try REALLY hard to pay that much going anywhere else. Target, Walmart, and Amazon will level out the prices based on demand after a few weeks. Encounter on Jakku retails for $60 and has been $35 at retailers for awhile. Not a sale. That's just the price that moves units. Lego Store will keep that thing at $60 until it's time to retire it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

It's relatively easy to find the majority of sets at 30% off. Only time I buy from LEGO directly is when I need an exclusive (Modular, Ideas, UCS, etc).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Holy cow, I must just not be paying attention when I'm at Target to see these sets so low... I only buy the Marvel and DC sets, but I never really see them in stores drop below the LEGO store prices unless it's specifically a 20% off or buy 2 get 1 discounted deal that they run every so often (and even then, I just have to be there at the right time to take advantage of it). Toys R Us always seems to list them 5 to 10 dollars more than MSRP, so I never buy sets from there. I've turned to Amazon only when I've missed out on a set and have to buy from a 3rd party, but it always seems to end up being the same price as the MSRP anyway. I've never been lucky enough to find these sets 50% off.

Koren

If you wait long enough and keep an eye out, you can get a lot of stuff 50% off. I used to think 20% was the "buy" threshold but the needle has moved.

It's relatively easy to find the majority of sets at 30% off.
Where? I barely see discounted set, and when they are, it's either a small amount, or sets I'm not interested into...

Is this a regional thing?

DonShula

Where? I barely see discounted set, and when they are, it's either a small amount, or sets I'm not interested into...

Is this a regional thing?

You're in the US, yes? Use Brickseek and browse the clearance listings. You can check the local store inventory and see if they have what you want. You can also use, for example, the Walmart app to check for items at multiple local stores simultaneously. Often one or two stores will have overstock or start the clearance early, and you can get good deals that way. The more stores you have around you, the better your chances obviously. I have a couple stores that are notorious for starting clearance and NOT changing the shelf tags. Only by checking the app would you know that "stealth clearance" is happening. Some times of the year are better than others for clearance, but it can happen pretty much any time (I got a "clearance" Millennium Falcon for $75 last July, and the damn thing is still $119 everywhere now).

Set a deal alert for Lego on Slickdeals. You'll get lots of Amazon sales notifications that way. If there are specific sets you want, you can set alerts at CamelCamelCamel and be notified on clearance. Also check Amazon Warehouse Deals regularly as they post Amazon returns with details on the condition. Stuff sold by AWD (not a reseller) is generally a return in perfect or near perfect condition.

Comes down to browsing regularly in your spare time. And of course you have to have the self control to wait when new sets come out too :)

Top Bottom