• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Waiting for the Tool concert to start here in Rochester. On the way I stopped at some Walmarts for cheap Lego. Picked up Minecraft Waterfall Base, Heartlake Cupcake Shop, 2 Angry Birds sets, K-2S0 buildable, and Ecto 1 and 2. All were 50% off or more.

tuffy

The original UCS Falcon has a cockpit that looks pretty cheap and awkward by modern standards. Any photo that puts some sort of light flare around it to obscure the cockpit is sure to be fake as hell.

Saturn V Bag 4 - The vertical patches and the cable tunnel on it were cool. All those 2x1 spaces hanging around seem to have positioned themselves perfectly.

Saturn V Bag 5 - OMG the grill section! A little repetitive but it comes together so well.

I'll be honest, $120 for this set is making me seriously rethink my UCS Falcon day 1 purchase.

ghostmind

After watching JANG's review of the new CREATOR Modular Family Villa, I'm not liking the direction the CREATOR houses have gone this year with the modular approach. I get the push for originality, but it comes off looking (and being) too flimsy and square.

https://youtu.be/aMuuOG42OWE

ghostmind

DeltaCustoms, who is reliable, has posted a DC set list for Winter 2017/18.

https://www.instagram.com/delta.customs/?hl=en

WxzasBd.jpg

TheFuzz

Saturn V Bag 4 - The vertical patches and the cable tunnel on it were cool. All those 2x1 spaces hanging around seem to have positioned themselves perfectly.

Saturn V Bag 5 - OMG the grill section! A little repetitive but it comes together so well.

I'll be honest, $120 for this set is making me seriously rethink my UCS Falcon day 1 purchase.

Could you clarify this? That a good or bad thing?

Yeah, honestly, if there were more serious competitors against Lego, such as if megabloks (or mega constructs I guess) wasn't relegated to the 'no one cares' shelf and was a legit competitor I think a LOT more sets would be priced like the Saturn V. But since Lego is so insanely dominant in the building blocks market they can get away with charging 12 cents per piece for a lot of star wars/CITY stuff and still have good sales. Just goes to show that no competition is a bad thing. I'm hoping that one day one of the 'fake' brands can get a foothold on the market and force Lego to drive down their prices to compete

WxzasBd.jpg

I would love a Cheetah figure - that's awesome. I've never heard of Killer Frost though - it always amazes me how many "cold" based villains DC has.

But since Lego is so insanely dominant in the building blocks market they can get away with charging 12 cents per piece for a lot of star wars/CITY stuff and still have good sales. Just goes to show that no competition is a bad thing. I'm hoping that one day one of the 'fake' brands can get a foothold on the market and force Lego to drive down their prices to compete

I agree with you about competition being a good thing, but product quality is a huge factor. I bought a ridiculously discounted (80% off) COD: Zombies set from Mega Bloks last year because I was curious. I finally got around to assembling it a few months ago and I literally couldn't get past the first few steps because the quality was so terrible. Everything from the brick colors, the clutch power, the instructions etc....awful.

Actually, on that note if anybody wants a free COD: Zombies set I'll send it to you at no cost - PM me. Just the pieces & instructions in an unrelated ziploc bag that is of superior quality than the elements themselves.

Ponn

Banned

WxzasBd.jpg

I'm getting so tired of so many dupes of the same figs over and over again in these super hero sets. I get why they think they have to do that because they are looking at kids who only buy one or two sets but with so many unreleased comic characters not getting figs its really annoying to get my 100th Batman fig. At least we are finally getting Reverse Flash. Is Lobo even relevant anymore, I swear his popularity died out with the 90's.

And where is my Saturn Girl Lego? *taps foot angrily*

DBT85

Could you clarify this? That a good or bad thing?
For LEGO, the Saturn V is mad cheap. Only 5.6p a brick here in the UK.

Were it the usual kind of price I'd probably not be getting it, but at £110 I can't not buy it and it's probably got me back into LEGO after 17 years lol.

DBT85

Jugding by its popularity and the fact wetwired's Ecto-1 was around for ever, I think the Saturn V will be available until at least 2019.

This is what I'm wondering. As I've said, I've not bought LEGO since 8868 way back when.

I can see that LEGO have gone the Disney route and cease production after a while, I just don't know how long sets stay around for, whether that differs per set or more depending on Ideas, Creator, UCS etc.

Also, do all sets end up getting discounted shortly before production ends?

I could easily blow £1300 just on the few sets I like the look of already (Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Snowspeeder, Slave 1, Helicarrier, Tie Fighter and Saturn V). Gah.

I could easily blow £1300 just on the few sets I like the look of already (Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Snowspeeder, Slave 1, Helicarrier, Tie Fighter and Saturn V). Gah.

You got time on Big Ben and Snowspeeder. Helicarrier, TIE, and Slave 1 probably not so much. And still in awe at Tower Bridge hanging on. Helps that it is almost all commonly used parts. But oh, what a parts pack!

This is what I'm wondering. As I've said, I've not bought LEGO since 8868 way back when.

I can see that LEGO have gone the Disney route and cease production after a while, I just don't know how long sets stay around for, whether that differs per set or more depending on Ideas, Creator, UCS etc.

Also, do all sets end up getting discounted shortly before production ends?

Lego always discontinued sets after 1-2 years. The major difference is that there are way more expensive collector targeted sets.

Generally, the big sets aren't discounted, but you might get lucky and catch them when a third party (Toys R Us etc) has a sale for the entire line. If they are paying attention though, all big sets tend to conveniently get out of stock the day before a big sale.

DBT85

You got time on Big Ben and Snowspeeder. Helicarrier, TIE, and Slave 1 probably not so much. And still in awe at Tower Bridge hanging on. Helps that it is almost all commonly used parts. But oh, what a parts pack!

Ahh ok thanks for that. Probably best I hadn't seen double points on Star Wars stuff earlier in the month!

Lego always discontinued sets after 1-2 years. The major difference is that there are way more expensive collector targeted sets.

Generally, the big sets aren't discounted, but you might get lucky and catch them when a third party (Toys R Us etc) has a sale for the entire line. If they are paying attention though, all big sets tend to conveniently get out of stock the day before a big sale.

Ahh ok, cheers.

I was contemplating getting a Saturn V for me, one for my dads birthday (not till Dec) and one to put away, but if they are still going to be readily available for a while I'll wait on the others and just get mine :D

Been working like a dog the last 6 months since we found out we were pregnant trying to clear all my cards (can clear it from savings but that's my money! lol) so I'm trying to resist a bit.

ghostmind

Ugh i fell for it as well...

I blame Ghostmind, since he is NORMALLY a bastion of credibility so.... :p

When it's real, you'll know, because I'll be losing my mind in the post.

I'm just wondering how many fakes are going to emerge before the real deal. I don't think any set has received this much attention and speculation prior to a reveal.

Fowler

I'm just wondering how many fakes are going to emerge before the real deal. I don't think any set has received this much attention and speculation prior to a reveal.

It also helps that, thanks to the original, we do have a fairly realistic model for what it'd look like.

R-User!

The thought just occurred: are you going to get one if it ends up being a real thing? You got one, if I recall, years ago, correct? Did you build it eventually, or would you sell it before the new one launches, or just keep it as a retirement set?

I will get it, build it and hope to be able to find some means to display it, or it will be dismantled after a month of sitting on a coffee table.

For those of us who might get it, we should collaborate on finding a cheap but nice way of displaying it. Perhaps IKEA has something?

mclem

What time is the Sat5 likely to go up? I'm wondering if I can hit a sweetspot where I can order it before the May droid offer expires and kill two birds with one stone.

mclem

I was describing Tower Bridge to a non-fan of Lego (another who's showing fresh interest due to the Saturn V), and it struck me how the official blurb is written to highlight exactly that:

Includes 4 miniature vehicles: a black London taxi, a yellow truck, green automobile and even a traditional red double-decker bus!
Features the iconic paired towers and a drawbridge that really opens and closes!
Includes unique printed shield!
Features hundreds of 1x1 slopes in tan!
Many useful arches, angular bricks in tan!
Includes 5 blue base plates and over 80 windows!

Tower Bridge is ideal for building and display - it can be taken apart in sections for easy transport!
Add this amazing landmark to your LEGO world buildings collection!
Completed model measures an impressive 40" (102 cm) long, 17" (45 cm) high and 10" (26 cm) wide.

_Rob_

Bloody hell! Been saving those for a while eh!?

Getting a bit worried my Detective's Office won't be here by the weekend now. The Parisian Restaurant was dispatched the next day and arrived a day after that, whereas this time 3 days on it's still showing as "In Warehouse".

Does anyone have experience with Lego UK's shipping, is there often time fluctuation between orders?

willp2003

Saving my points for the Falcon! Think I should have £175 to spend (assuming it's realised this year and doesn't get pushed back, otherwise some will expire I think).

Osahi

I just ordered mine too, but I only had half as many points.

The R3-M2 promo was still in effect so I got the bounty hunter pack too.

Ah! Didn't think about that, stupid me. Ah well, got the Saturn V ordered as soon as I opened this topic and read the sets were up. Going to get the Star Wars stuff (bounty hunters and Scout Trooper) of Amazon.de in a few weeks, when prices have come a bit down. Will probably hunt for the Shuttle in local stores this weekend. They should have it lower then MRSP.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
That should be the end of it I would assume.

I'm going to need a display solution for these things once the game is finished. I have, uh, a lot of Dimensions minifigs.

They said it was a 3 year plan, right? So there should be one more year of releases.

Top Bottom