• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known N64 games you loved back in the day

This was so cool back then (to me :p)
Buck_bumble_box_pal.jpg

ALSO Space Station Silicon valley
d58b4edc25906504f4419ac0831153c4-Space_Station_Silicon_Valley.jpg

daffy

Banned
Ahhh dammit what's the name of that game where you are a Soviet tank or whatever, driving around the surface of a planet... first game that came to my head as none of my friends knew of it.

I'll remember it soon..

Was Goemon well known? Because I loved that so much

MYE said:
Yes because...

^This shit is just wrong!

And this...

fuck that!

Turok
Turok 2 Seeds of Evil
Forsaken
Resident Evil 2
Rage Wars
Shadowman
Rocket: Robot on Wheels
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
DOOM 64
Quake 2
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Space Station: Silicon Valley
Beetle Adventure Racing
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour
Body Harvest
Mission Impossible
Hydro Thunder
BattleTanx
etc...

There are some nice third party games on N64, but there is a huge quality gap between these games and the best stuff from Rare and Nintendo.

FTH said:
Ahhh dammit what's the name of that game where you are a Soviet tank or whatever, driving around the surface of a planet... first game that came to my head as none of my friends knew of it.

I'll remember it soon..

Was Goemon well known? Because I loved that so much

Sounds like Crazy Ivan but it was a PC/PSone/Saturn game.

Sofo

AlphaTwo00 said:
This one and Snowboard Kids. God, that game was awesome. Also Turok 2 was pretty cool (yet I'm sure it was more popular), and um... one with a bee that a cousin of mine let me borrow (Buck Bumble, thanks Infernal Monkey!).

Does Rayman 2 count, as well? Because that one was a blast, a bit difficult then for me (I was a bit dumb). Also Yoshi's Island, I loved that one so much!

I don't know, the N64 was my first "big" system, it was brilliant!

MYE

Shadowman was fucking AWESOME!!

Someone remake this game

RockmanWhore said:
The game looked great though, I think it must be the N64 with the best colors, so vivid. Too bad the game sucked :p

And the soundtrack was great.

daffy

Banned
RockmanWhore said:
Sounds like Crazy Ivan but it was a PC/PSone/Saturn game.
Thanks for the help, I thought this may have been it, but I remembered now!

Battlezone : Rise of the Black Dogs
947906-bz_super.jpg

so good

lol I spent way too much time thinking about this :p

Brera

Banned
Guys...none of the games mentioned were little known.

Bar 2 or 3, most of those were fucking shit!

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the n64 was really bad for 3rd party games! I was primarily an N64 owner. It was always Nintendo or bust!

I'm still bitter that I never got full completion of Spacestation Silicon Valley due to the souvenir in that bear mountain stage being unattainable. Rat-O-Matic was an awesome level if anyone remembers it, loved the idea of a machine that turns mice into rats. On the subject of Rats you could drop turd bombs and eat turd, incredible stuff.

Bomberman 64 must require some mad gaming skills to 100%, I still don't know how you reach half the costume parts! Hell I don't even know how I beat Rainbow Resort, the game went nuts with difficulty. I much prefer Bomberman Hero myself.

Nocturnowl said:
I'm still bitter that I never got full completion of Spacestation Silicon Valley due to the souvenir in that bear mountain stage being unattainable. Rat-O-Matic was an awesome level if anyone remembers it, loved the idea of a machine that turns mice into rats. On the subject of Rats you could drop turd bombs and eat turd, incredible stuff.

Bomberman 64 must require some mad gaming skills to 100%, I still don't know how you reach half the costume parts! Hell I don't even know how I beat Rainbow Resort, the game went nuts with difficulty. I much prefer Bomberman Hero myself.
I remember going through hell as a young boy playing Bomberman 64, but I did get near 100%...it was the only N64 game I had for a long while, I had the time, ha.

Brera said:
Guys...none of the games mentioned were little known.

Bar 2 or 3, most of those were fucking shit!

Sorry to be the barer of bad news but the n64 was really bad for 3rd party games! I was primarily an N64 owner. It was always Nintendo or bust!
Why do people keep saying this? It wasn't true then, and isn't true now. There are lots of great third party N64 games, many of which have been mentioned in this thread but others that haven't. The Rush series (2049 is my favorite racing game ever), Extreme-G series, Turok series, Forsaken 64, Doom 64, Lode Runner 3D, Mace: The Dark Age, Space Station Silicon Valley, Gauntlet Legends, California Speed, Hydro Thunder, Wipeout 64, the Top Gear games (Rally 1 and Overdrive particularly, but the other two are alright too), Bomberman 64, Rayman 2, TWINE, Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Tonic Trouble, Goemon's Great Adventure (still one of the all-time best 2.5d platformers), Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, Aidyn Chronicles (deeply flawed, but really impressive if you can get past that), Rocket: Robot On Wheels, BattleTanx: Global Assault, etc, etc, etc, I'll probably list more later, but the point is the N64 has a quite good third party lineup, most definitely.

Metroid said:
I loved that Star Wars Pod Racing game. Guess it is not that popular.
The game has great graphics, and the Star Wars theme is cool, but it's so, so hard! I wanted to like it, and did for a while, but the crazy difficulty wore me down and I always ended up giving up in frustration in the third cup. One slip up and it's over for the race, no hope to catch up... and the races are very long.

Asparagus

Metroid said:
I loved that Star Wars Pod Racing game. Guess it is not that popular.
Episode one racer is great, I played it so much on PC back in the day.

Never was a huge N64 fan back in the day, I only bought one because of OOT. Was never too impressed by most of the third party offerings on the system either but a few of them were great. I LOVED Snowboard Kids for example and I'd give my right testicle to get No Mercy on VC.

51bvoAyleNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not the greatest RPG ever (by a long shot!) but I recall being impressed by the size of the overworld and how towns wouldn't load in, you would just approach them and then could walk around. My young head loved that back then :)

This thread is making me crazy nostalgic! Oh those rentals from the cute girl at Video Ezy...

Anyway, first game I got with my 64, and man what a game.

39613-Blast_Corps_(Europe)_(En,De)-10.jpg

I won Forsaken in a Hyper magazine contest, and loved it!

forsaken-64.518245.jpg]

Man, my friends and I played the fuck out of this game. We used to have BBQs every monday night and just play this

all-star-baseball-99.3862519.jpg

kodt

Banned
tTw19.jpg

Top Gear Rally

This is one of my favorite racers of all time. Great blend of arcade/realistic racing physics (felt very realistic at the time compared to the Rush and Cruisn games). It was very challenging, taking shortcuts was often necessary to win, but he shortcuts were full of hazards. Tree's, sharp muddy turns, so take them was a risk/reward situation.

There weren't a large number of tracks, but you felt a sense of accomplishment unlocking a new track.

The cars had very detailed cosmetic damage for the time. Replay mode was great as well, it was awesome to watch your horrible crashes, especially when playing two player and causing your opponent to wipe out.

You could also do custom paint jobs with a MS Paint type editor.

jjasper

Had list of:
Rocket
Hybrid Heaven
World Drive Championship
Mischief Makers
Snowboard Kids
Body Harvest
Rush
WCW vs. NWO
Silicon Valley

Good to see they are all listed already.

ultron87

Another vote for Snowboard Kids. I always liked the first one way more than the second.

Everytime someone gets to the bottom of the course and then get totally fucked over by the ski lift gate, an angel gets its wings.

Also, Silver Mountain Music. Hell yes.

wwm0nkey said:
another great game

mysticalninja0.jpg

Need to replay this some time.

Yes!! I remember during summer holidays having 5 friends all crammed in my room playing this and we got stuck on some puzzle that involved a sauna pool or something. Good times.

Wetrix,Silicon Valley and Snowboard kids get a mention aswell!

Refreshment.01 said:
This is a quality title, that although based on a mega popular movie franchise, that had limited numbers and was not easy to find:
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine[img][/QUOTE]

Was always bummed that this and Spiderman didn't come to Europe, but I guess it was at the very end of the N64's life and the system was never that popular here.

Top Bottom