• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about how to actually combat pedophilia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea sure and once they reveal that shit they should be removed from society.
But what do you mean by that? If it's actually indulging in their desires by molesting a child or downloading images of child sexual abuse then I agree entirely, but treating everyone with those sorts of thoughts as an evil criminal helps nobody. If the goal is harm reduction then there needs to be a system in place for peadophiles to get help to make sure they never do something so awful in the first place. There are peadophiles who know those thoughts are wrong and fight them everyday, I don't see anything wrong with combating that.

What's better, stopping sexual abuse before it happens or waiting until it does and then punishment? Of course if somebody does commit such a crime they should be punished harshly but we should be working on making sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

Heroman

Banned
Are we serious here? It's the kids fault for being too sexy?

Here's how you solve it: If they are a first offender, they go to jail for as long as the law will provide.

If they offend twice, somehow, they get castrated and put in jail forever.

Done.

laws like these never work.

This is counterproductive I think. Sexual contact of any kind with kids is absolutely off-limits and 100% a disgusting act, but there are a lot of paedophiles who never act on their urges. To expell someone for something he actually has no say in (it's more a sexual orientation than you might realize) would be disgraceful, and force people into silence/hiding and less inclined to seek help.

I think we have to except some people will have those urges and not immidiately condemn them for it when they don't act on them. We have to urge these people to get help, as to avoid one day they would act on it.

The stigma on paedophilia makes this very difficult though, and I think it will take decades before maybe paedophilia as an orientation isn't considered a crime anymore in the public opinion. (Again, sexual acts with children is, and always will and should be considered abuse, and be met with the most severe punishment possible)

I understand. But I don't view pedophilia as a sexual orientation. As to how someone gets like that I just don't think we're ever going to "cure" or "treat" pedophiles. So my priority isn't sympathy or understanding for them. It's not even "how to achieve the goal that best for them AND the kids". It's "what do we do to keep these nasty motherfuckers from touching kids. Full stop". That's my priority in the conversation. Sorry. Not sorry.

I'm all for there being a place for them to be provided help. I just think that help should come with four walls and guards.

But what do you mean by that? If it's actually indulging in their desires by molesting a child or downloading images of child sexual abuse then I agree entirely, but treating everyone with those sorts of thoughts as an evil criminal helps nobody. If the goal is harm reduction then there needs to be a system in place for peadophiles to get help to make sure they never do something so awful in the first place. There are peadophiles who know those thoughts are wrong and fight them everyday, I don't see anything wrong with combating that.

What's better, stopping sexual abuse before it happens or waiting until it does and then punishment? Of course if somebody does commit such a crime they should be punished harshly but we should be working on making sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

I'm more concerned about the victims than them. Sorry.

I wish I could remember. I've seen this referenced several times, some of them perhaps in Norwegian sources.

The reasoning behind it is that most child sex abuse is done because of a kind of "power fantasy" in the offender rather than a real sexual desire towards the victim.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I am of the controversial opinion that society needs to drop the extreme prejudice against them. Not that we shouldn't persecute actual offenders, but the problem is that people with pedophiliac behaviors cannot, as much as they want to, seek help from society. We have a tendency to react with extreme anger and hate at the mere mention of it and this drives them away from getting the help they need.

If they could admit that they are sexually attracted to children, and instead of immediatly ostracizing them from society we would offer them help instead, I think that would go a long way to combating the problem.

Far too many are afraid to come out with the problem and when they can't do that, there can't be any other outcome then that desire just grows over the years until they act on it.

If someone commits a sexual act with a child, I am all for persecuting them under the full extent of the law, but I wanna see this problem solved long term rather than we just react at when it happens. Often too late.
The thing is when most people find out someone is a pedo it's through media they have or actions they do.

And I'm sorry but I personally view having media depicting sexual acts with children to be very freaking bad as well as it supports the people creating it in he first place one way or another

OP, you keep saying "pedophilia" when what you mean to say is "sex offenders." I'm of the firm belief that there are tons and tons of pedophiles out there who manage to keep their desires to themselves without ever harming anyone. The "solutions" you discuss have nothing to do with pedophilia, and everything to do with child abuse.

I think this deserves being pedantic about. We're never going to win this battle if we can't properly identify the perpetrators without alienating a huge amount of non-offending people. Research also seems to indicate that most child sex abuse isn't committed by actual pedophiles, which makes things even muddier.
If you are sexually abusing children you are, by definition, a pedophile.

cromofo

No game no life had an 11 year old flashing a camel toe. I haven't even looked at mainstream anime since and hentai just makes me sad.

I believe people who watch and make this shit have a higher percentage of pedo tendencies than the rest of the public.

Add that pony stuff into it as well.

Sunster

Are we serious here? It's the kids fault for being too sexy?

Here's how you solve it: If they are a first offender, they go to jail for as long as the law will provide.

If they offend twice, somehow, they get castrated and put in jail forever.

Done.

this isn't what I mean at all. children don't typically design their own character in media in which they are featured. specifically cartoon and anime. these are characters designed by men for an audience comprised of men and boys. boys who grow up seeing girls this way can lead to or at least contribute to unhealthy attitudes towards women and girls.

OP, do you know the difference between a child molester and a pedophile?

I was once told that child molester =/= a pedophile because child molester are opportunists who are taking advantage of a situation while pedophiles have a biological desire for children

So a child molester is not necessarily abusing the child cuz he/she has an attraction to children. They're just taking advantage of a situation (ie being alone with someone)

Your post is very interesting and informative. However i was remembering what one training i did taught me regarding molesters vs pedophiles and am curious what you think about this distinction

Could i get your thoughts on this?

This is essentially one level deeper than I was willing to go. You're correct, child molesters =/= pedophiles on a psychological level, but to the 99% of the population unfamiliar with the nuances of the subject, anyone who sexually abuses a child is a pedophile.

In that sense, the people I'm describing could be referred to as "practical pedophiles," adults who fit the broad idea without necessarily conforming to the specifics.

Definitely a point to be further emphasized once this conversation gains some greater traction across our communities.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I understand. But I don't view pedophilia as a sexual orientation. As to how someone gets like that I just don't think we're ever going to "cure" or "treat" pedophiles. So my priority isn't sympathy or understanding for them. It's not even "how to achieve the goal that best for them AND the kids". It's "what do we do to keep these nasty motherfuckers from touching kids. Full stop". That's my priority in the conversation. Sorry. Not sorry.

I'm all for there being a place for them to be provided help. I just think that help should come with four walls and guards.

I'm more concerned about the victims than them. Sorry.

Your concern blinds you to the fact locking these people sight on sound doesn't really deal with the problem. Its just a knee jerk reaction that sounds good in your head but wouldn't really do much to fix the problem except throw a lot of people into prisons or whatever and as we are all away just throwing people into prisons dpesn't make the issue go away or solve it.

Sapiens

How do you solve those that are pedos that are closeted is what people are saying.

How do you create outreach to people that are conscious of their desires?

And that's why that poster talked about that kind of kid culture I guess.

No one is going to post in a sensible manner in terms of addressing prevention when others are going to completely combat drop on their posts without bothering for a second to actually understand what they're saying.

Just so you can prove some kind of moral superiority over an argument that was never there to begin with.

Good job I guess?

There is no solution to someone being a pedophile outside of a lobotomy. It is not something that is encouraged or developed by the "MEDIA" - it is like being straight or gay.

Those people are completely fucked. It's sad and I don't wish that on anyone, but these people will always be treated with distrust, disgust and outright violence (which I do not condone) simply because of the threat they represent to one's own progeny.

Some of the comments in this thread about there being a source for it are ridiculous. In anime, you are seeing a manifestation of it. Banning it won't solve the problem (but it should totally, totally be banned) - and those people will always exist.

The only thing we can do is deal with the offenders strictly and educate children and parents of the threat posed to them. Without inviting mass hysteria of course.

I have very little sympathy for adults who feel that they can't control themselves or that the media is affecting them in some way.

The best option is to do what Charlie Crumb did and just remove yourself from the situation (debt free, of course).

Your concern blinds you to the fact locking these people sight on sound doesn't really deal with the problem. Its just a knee jerk reaction that sounds good in your head but wouldn't really do much to fix the problem except throw a lot of people into prisons or whatever.

Yup. The current approach to "fixing" the problem of child molestation is just to cure the symptoms. Nobody dares fix the problem itself, which is that people end up in a situation where they somehow decide that raping a child is something they are going to do. As long as we keep pushing these people underground even if they haven't committed any crimes (yet), we're never going to solve squat. The children become the losers in this equation.

Lois_Lane

I believe people who watch and make this shit have a higher percentage of pedo tendencies than the rest of the public.

Add that pony stuff into it as well.

See I don't get how like cutesy "girly" stuff has anything to do with pedo stuff. If you consider excessively childish behavior to be an indicator of possible pedophilia then you might have an argument.

Your concern blinds you to the fact locking these people sight on sound doesn't really deal with the problem. Its just a knee jerk reaction that sounds good in your head but wouldn't really do much to fix the problem except throw a lot of people into prisons or whatever.

How many convicted sex offenders go on to re-offend? Keeping them in prison longer absolutely would help the problem.

But I'll compromise:

Give them all that treatment you guys want. But the moment they caught with sexually explicit images of kids or abusing a kid life no god damn parole. There. We both get something we want.

Yes, people tend to be knee jerk when it comes to keeping their babies safe. The fuck? lol. Not gonna sit around and intellectually philosophize about what makes them tick. It's irrelevant. They into that shit it's a problem and they shouldn't be around kids if keeping children from being molested is our top priority in this discussion.

You're not making sense, if they've not done anything there aren't any victims. I want a system where we stop abuse happening in the first place.

And the ones that do touch kids?

HStallion

How many convicted sex offenders go on to re-offend? Keeping them in prison longer absolutely would help the problem.

But I'll compromise:

Give them all that treatment you guys want. But the moment they caught with sexually explicit images of kids or abusing a kid life no god damn parole. There. We both get something we want.

Yes, people tend to be knee jerk when it comes to keeping their babies safe. The fuck? lol. Not gonna sit around and intellectually philosophize about what makes them tick. It's irrelevant. They into that shit it's a problem and they shouldn't be around kids if keeping children from being molested is our top priority in this discussion.

The thing is just throwing everyone in prison doesn't solve the problem as people are going to continue to be born with the those desires. I'm also not at all implying we shouldn't punish child molesters, we sure should but your solution doesn't seem like a solution at all.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You're not making sense, if they've not done anything there aren't any victims. I want a system where we stop abuse happening in the first place.

If those same people have sexual/nude/creepshot media depicting children then they are supporting the people creating victims and getting off to said victims even if they are not the ones that did the act

No. A pedophile is a person who is sexually attracted to children. That is the definition. You don't have to be sexually attracted to someone to rape them, believe it or not.
This is a serious attempt at word spaghetti. We don't legally define things according to phenomena. If you rape a child, you do not get asked if you are sexually attracted to that child. No one gives a fuck. You raped a child. You are a pedophile. No one cares about your internal experience or how it felt for you.

Can you even imagine attempting to say this idiotic shit in court? A judge brands you a pedophile, and your response is "But your honor, I actually wasn't sexually attracted to the child when I committed the act of rape". If you engage with a child sexually, you are a pedophile. End of story.

Keasar

The thing is when most people find out someone is a pedo it's through media they have or actions they do.

Yeah, and that is when it's too late, but what can many of these people have done? Admitted that they had sexual tendencies towards children? Right when that happens they would be shunned. It wouldn't matter if they haven't collected media or done the act, just the mere mention of interest can drive people into a frenzy.

We have no system in place in the modern world as I know it for taking care of them. And that I think is a driving problem, we have no way to actively help them without the risk of completely shutting them out by a society who will not have them under any circumstance as soon as they know it. Even before they have committed any actual crime.

This is a serious attempt at word spaghetti. We don't legally define things according to phenomena. If you rape a child, you do not get asked if you are sexually attracted to that child. No one gives a fuck. You raped a child. You are a pedophile. No one cares about your internal experience or how it felt for you.

Can you even imagine attempting to say this idiotic shit in court? A judge brands you a pedophile, and your response is "But your honor, I actually wasn't sexually attracted to the child when I committed the act of rape". If you engage with a child sexually, you are a pedophile. End of story.

I'm sorry, but you are completely off the mark here. I recommend reading some in-depth articles about the concept. There was one posted earlier in this very thread that talks about these things.

Your definitions are your own. They would not hold up in court, which is ironically the opposite of what you claim. This isn't a topic you can just define and finalize in your own head. Actual research has been done on this and conclusions have been drawn.

I just don't care for locking people away as a some kind of solution. I'm not saying don't punish child molestors but whne you're just throwing all of them in prison

It absolutely IS a solution for those that have already abused kids. It ensures those specific people can't sexually abuse another child ever.

It doesn't solve the root of the problem and I don't think anything ever will. Sometimes mitigation is the more realistic thing we can hope to accomplish. But I'm all for trying. But once they cross that line I lose even the small shred of compassion I have for them.

Osahi

I'm all for there being a place for them to be provided help. I just think that help should come with four walls and guards..

But not everyone will act on those impulses? Treatment could be voluntary chemical castration (how hard that may sound, but there are paedo's that opt for this solution). It's legally not very sound to lock people up when they didn't commit a crime, even if they have a higher chance to do so.

Also, you say you want what is best for them and the victims. But if you start preemtively lock people up, you will only achieve others won't be coming out. You'll only known they are paedophiles when some of them become sex offenders, which means their will be a victim. Isn't it better to at least try to give people help in an attempt to reduce victims? Maybe if you helped them, they would've found a way to resist the impulse?

Again, I have zero respect for sex offenders. But I think you have to make the distinction between people who want to have sex with kids (how hard that may be), and people who do.

(And I'm being a big hypocrite here, because if I'd know my neighbour was a paedo, I wouldn't trust him for the life of me within a mile of my sister's kids when they're over here)

That's a child molestor or raper. A pefophile is someone sexually attracted to prepubesent kids as per dsm v

If those same people have sexual/nude/creepshot media depicting children then they are supporting the people creating victims and getting off to said victims even if they are not the ones that did the act

I feel like you two haven't actuy read my original post, I'm talking about peadophiles who HAVEN'T committed abuse or downloaded images of abuse. If they have done that then they absolutely be punished, in fact I'd punish them harsher because they had every chance to get help and didn't.

kswiston

it is very flawed and needs to be updated I know but there needs to be a list of offenders to protect children. molesters can't just return to society and be anonymous again.

The sex offender list would be more useful if it was restricted to actual sex offenses that are dangerous to society. All forms of sex where legal consent is not present, molestation, other sexual assaults, and more serious sexual harassment. EDIT: Child pornography would still need to be covered as well, but the law needs to be updated for the digital age. It can't be used as a means of punishing teenagers for doing normal teenage stuff.

Some states will put 15 year old kids on there for sexting each other. Some states lack Romeo and Juliet laws, allowing vengeful parents to charge 18 year old boys with statutory rape for having sex with a same grade girlfriend who is a few months younger than them. Some states will even put you on there for urinating in public. Who is that helping?

There is no solution to someone being a pedophile outside of a lobotomy.

Those people are completely fucked. It's sad and I don't wish that on anyone, but these people will always be treated with distrust, disgust and outright violence (which I do not condone) simply because of the threat they represent to one's own progeny.

I have very little sympathy for adults who feel that they can't control themselves or that the media is affecting them in some way.

The best option is to do what Charlie Crumb did and just remove yourself from the situation (debt free, of course).

Yeah but no one is talking about pedophiles the only way they can be known as a pedophile is if they attack a child and get busted.

We're talking about people with the compulsion to want kids but haven't done shit about it because they are self aware of it being wrong. But at the same time those people are ticking time bombs.

As much as we want to fetishize talk about our fantasy prison camps where you get a lobotomy the first few steps you walk in. And whatever else.

It's about prevention before it happens.

Sunster

The sex offender list would be more useful if it was restricted to actual sex offenses that are dangerous to society. All forms of sex where legal consent is not present, molestation, other sexual assaults, and more serious sexual harassment.

Some states will put 15 year old kids on there for sexting each other. Some states will even put you on there for urinating in public. Who is that helping?

yes this is what I want. we need that list.

HStallion

It absolutely IS a solution for those that have already abused kids. It ensures those specific people can't sexually abuse another child ever.

It doesn't solve the root of the problem and I don't think anything ever will. Sometimes mitigation is the more realistic thing we can hope to accomplish. But I'm all for trying. But once they cross that line I lose even the small shred of compassion I have for them.

Nothing is going to solve the root of the problem with pedophilia like nothing is going to solve the root of the problem for Sociopaths or Psychopaths or Paranoid Schizophrenics but we don't just lock them all up because of what could happen. As I said you don't offer a solution, you just offer something that makes you feel better. That and I'll repeat that we should punish child molesters but you take it a near totalitarian level.

*Splinter

... you realize how fucked this is right? Not all pedophiles are actively going after kids because they realize their desires are not healthy and incredibly destructive and detrimental. Some do it with chemical castration, some join support groups or go to therapists but treating them like animals to be penned isn't really dealing with the problem. Like most things we should be taking this head on and actively trying to figure out how to help these people curb their desires instead of just destroying their lives for what could happen.
This is what I thought the thread would be about tbh, although the OP's post is good advice for the children.

The only way this will ever be solved is through rehabilitation, and that's going to need wider societal acceptance to be effective (as icky as that feels).

I'm sorry, but you are completely off the mark here. I recommend reading some in-depth articles about the concept. There was one posted earlier in this very thread that talks about these things.

Your definitions are your own. They would not hold up in court, which is ironically the opposite of what you claim. This isn't a topic you can just define and finalize in your own head. Actual research has been done on this and conclusions have been drawn.
They are the definitions of every single person in society who doesn't spend their time trying to defend pedophiles.

That's a child molestor or raper. A pefophile is someone sexually attracted to prepubesent kids as per dsm v
Yup, and if you act on it, you are now both.

I feel like you two haven't actuy read my original post, I'm talking about peadophiles who HAVEN'T committed abuse or downloaded images of abuse. If they have done that then they absolutely be punished, in fact I'd punish them harsher because they had every chance to get help and didn't.
Are there laws that punish people for going to a therapist and saying they are sexually attracted to children? Not to my knowledge.

(And I'm being a big hypocrite here, because if I'd know my neighbour was a paedo, I wouldn't trust him for the life of me within a mile of my sister's kids when they're over here)

That's kinda my point. You'd be a fool to trust them around children. I got over 200 sex offender within a few miles of my home. It shouldn't be this way to get notices in the mail "Hey this child molester is moving in, have fun!"

This is what I thought the thread would be about tbh, although the OP's post is good advice for the children.

The only way this will ever be solved is through rehabilitation, and that's going to need wider societal acceptance to be effective (as icky as that feels).

Rehabilitation is what we do now (to a certain degree). I'd say prevention is the actual solution, but the path there is long and arduous.

Rktk

I think the best that can be done is mitigation, at least right now, perhaps in the future we can manipulate sexual preference before someone is born or terminate a pregnancy based on what the turnout would be. By mitigation we have the laws that we have already, education for children as well as help for paedophiles, not shipping people who haven't committed a crime to some island.

But I don't view pedophilia as a sexual orientation.

It is a sexual orientation by definition.

Actually listening to them would be a good start. Instantly throwing them to the sharks doesn't help things at all.

People forget not so long ago a grown man being married to 12-16 year olds was common. Not defending the behavior but just bringing up a point.
Isnt pedophellia being attracted to pre-pubescent children? The definition of 'children' itself has changed over time, where anything before puberty is a child and after puberty is sent off to war or get married off or something.

Aizo

Banned
to expand on my earlier thought of sexualization I present a thread I made earlier this year

Rampant Sexual Assault on Japanese Public Transportation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352044&highlight=

this may be a bold assumption because I know little of Japan and it's culture but I believe the sexualized image of the schoolgirl is a large contributing factor here.
I'm surprised that a thread like that wasn't made by me. My last thread that turned into a similar topic just ended up getting people banned and wasn't a very good discussion.

I could barely hold back tears when reading that article earlier this year. I live in Japan. I'm furious about some of the opinions I've heard here on underage girls.

They are the definitions of every single person in society who doesn't spend their time trying to defend pedophiles.

Oh, fuck off with that crap. If you can't contribute to the discussion, at least have the decency not to try to take control over a message you don't even understand.

You don't define these things. They have already been defined for you, and you are choosing to ignore them because it feels good to do so. That doesn't help anyone. Not you. Not me. Not the pedophiles. Not the child molesters. And least of all, the children.

Surfinn

One of the biggest problems is that there's often a wall between the act itself and reporting. Shame/guilt/embarrassment/fear keep people from actually having the courage to tell people that abuse took place (even if parents/guardians explain that it's not ok for someone to do X Y or Z to you). Breaking that wall down is tricky and can take a LOT of work.

Obviously doing everything possible to prevent the abuse in the first place is paramount but it's very difficult to navigate once the abuse takes place.

Jenov

A big part of the problem is that it cannot be cured or reformed and the recidivism rate is very high. There are no full proof treatment for it... so that limits options as to what can be done.

Ferr986

What can we do? The ball is in their court, they're the ones that have to acknowledge their problem, go to teraphy or chemical castration. As far as I know that is available and is anonymous.

We can't do anything else, it's them that have to do the move.

to expand on my earlier thought of sexualization I present a thread I made earlier this year

Rampant Sexual Assault on Japanese Public Transportation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352044&highlight=

this may be a bold assumption because I know little of Japan and it's culture but I believe the sexualized image of the schoolgirl is a large contributing factor here.

Japan is in another league. Not only there's the anime stuff, there's also gravure shit with minors.

Honestly I agree with you, that shit should be banned. It's the same about the talk of letting them having fake child porn (hentai or 3d or whatever the fuck), I don't think that would help at all.
Also, I don't think we as a society should normalize the sexualization of children just to calm down some guys.

lupin23rd

The latest episode of Vice on HBO had a segment about the Dark Web and specifically about child trafficking. Followed an undercover agent on a couple operations to catch some really shitty people in the Philippines, props to guys like that who are able to keep their cool talking to people who want to literally sell you children, can't be an easy job.

One of the methods they talked about was using AI chatbots pretending to be children, and it seemed like they had a pretty good success rate of getting some kind of identifying information from these people, but they still needed to solve the problem at scale as currently they require human operators.

That's always how the argument in framed in these types of posts. No one wants to talk about the folks out there actually supporting the creation of those disgusting images or the havoc they cause on a young childs life when they rape them. It's always the struggling person with those urges that can't seem to help themselves.

Offer them free castration. Chemical and/or physical if they want it. Voluntary. But I'm not gonna sit and empathize with anyone that expresses an attraction to kids. Sorry.

It's always talk about the ones that don't act on it and never about those that do and how they destroy young children and fuck em up for life. That's my priority so my thought process starts from that point.

That's kinda my point. You'd be a fool to trust them around children. I got over 200 sex offender within a few miles of my home. It shouldn't be this way to get notices in the mail "Hey this child molester is moving in, have fun!"

And you would be surprised how many of those 200 offenders are on that list for stupid shit like urinating in public or being 19 while their partner was 17.

No one here is defending the act of child molestation and most of us agree that there should be a heavy punishment for that act. What we're trying to discuss is how to get these people help BEFORE they give in to their urges.

Kthulhu

So you just want to give up on finding a solution to the problem based on what you think, not actual evidence?

Kyzer

Banned
Pretty sure we had a thread like this and it ended up as one of the ugliest ordeals in NeoGAF history

How about we solve theft and murder or any of the other millions of deviant criminal behaviors that are less pathological before figuring out how to shock therapy a pedophile into being a normal person ?

I have no sympathy for the plight of a pedophile. I see women im sexually attracted to all the time, fucking control yourself and go seek professional help.

Poor pedophiles attracted to something they cant have, the humanity of their suffering ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom