• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letter from Bonnie Ross in regards to MCC (Halo 3 ODST SP free to MCC players)

EvB

If it was already in the works and they are just offering it for free to people that played the game up to yesterday, how would people feel about them charging people post launch for ODST as DLC?

To me it would seem kind of slimey to sell a Halo collection and keep certain games out becuase there was no Master Chief only to sell them as an add on at a later date. Then again most DLC practices are slimey.

Why?

The games and maps are a gift to people who bought the game and who they have disappointed due to it being unfinished.

Why would you then start to give it away to people who weren't even there and didn't buy the gane or even get affected by it?

It would be like a cinema giving a refund and some complimentary tickets to a screen of people after a powerful and then doing the same for every single other showing of that film for the rest of the year m.

I've read this a few times and i'm still not sure if i'll get the free stuff. I got the game at launch and have put the disc in, installed it and launched it, but it doesn't show on my gamertag because i didn't get any achievements. Is launching it all i needed to do, or did i actually have to play an online match or something?

SpotAnime

ODST?!? ODST?!?

cmt-medium.gif

With the exception of Halo 1, I never played too much multiplayer and focused mainly on the single player campaigns. ODST has to be one of my favorite campaigns, so this is definitely great news to me. I can see why it might be a little underwhelming for fans of multiplayer though, since that's what has been largely broken and a free campaign probably doesn't mean much to them.

EYEL1NER

Welp, I ended up falling asleep while waiting for that last 7% to install. Must have been about half an hour before the deadline too. Prior to that while installing I did fire it up and go into a local H2A MP match with just myself to see how it controlled and looked. I was connected to Love and got an achievement that should be time stamped from then, so I guess I will end up being okay.

If it was already in the works and they are just offering it for free to people that played the game up to yesterday, how would people feel about them charging people post launch for ODST as DLC?

To me it would seem kind of slimey to sell a Halo collection and keep certain games out becuase there was no Master Chief only to sell them as an add on at a later date. Then again most DLC practices are slimey.

This post is an excellent example that people will go out of their way to get pissed off at things on the internet. Its like they are conditioned to find things to get angry about and will make up slights so they can feel betrayed.

MCC was/is a ridiculously good value package. MP is broken and this seems fair compensation.

But even if this was initially conceived as a DLC, MCC would still be insane value for money. Its laughable that a developer could throw down 4 full games with MP and a hundred maps and people would still bitch about them holding back content.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I've played like 2 SP levels of Halo 1 the day after launch and haven't played any MP games but I was logged into Live at the time so I will be eligible for the 1 month of free gold yeah?

Mr E.

Nice touch. Maybe the offer should be extended to Jan 1st though. There's probably a few Xbones under the tree with MCC. Sucks for those guys.

This post is an excellent example that people will go out of their way to get pissed off at things on the internet. Its like they are conditioned to find things to get angry about and will make up slights so they can feel betrayed.

MCC was/is a ridiculously good value package. MP is broken and this seems fair compensation.

But even if this was initially conceived/held back as a DLC, MCC would still be insane value for money. Its laughable that a developer could throw down 4 full games with MP and a hundred maps and people would still bitch about DLC.

Nope, I am not mad. Simply asking a question would people be bothered by it. I think it is a little weird to exclude games from the collection because they don't feature Master Chief and then turn around and sell the ODST as an add on later. I think it would be ok if they sold ODST as a stand alone though, for instance you don't have to own MCC to buy ODST for say $15. I am not mad though, just asking questions. It is hard to argue the value MCC offers, no doubt it is a good value. The slimey part I mentioned comes from the way they made it sound like MCC was a complete package and then seemingly are adding to that package for additional money, IF what the poster I responded to was true in that this was being made prior to the launch issues. That make sense?

Also I understand that this is a good will to early adopters, but the post I responded to said this was being made prior to MCC issues in that poster's opinion. To which I asked would people had been ok to drop $15-$20 on a ODST add on as DLC to the MCC if that were the case and there was no good will gesture. Also how do non early adopters get ODST? Why are people that buy the game today and have online issues not able to get ODST for free?

I think a good way to handle it is to offer ODST as a stand alone DLC for $15 as I said before. That way the MCC still feels complete, and people that don't want the MCC or sold it because of issues can still get ODST.-

KodaRuss

If/when I ever get an Xbox One ODST will be the first think I play. Loved that campaign. Surprised the hell out of me the first time I played it because I thought there were a lot of mixed feelings about it. Anyway, carry on 343 lots of work to do, hope they can enjoy the holidays at least.

badams

So, if they're compensating people who played the game before 19th, does it mean that they think the game is fully functional now?

BECAUSE IT IS NOT.

Let alone campaign issues, still uneven teams, and longer than acceptable matchmaking times. It's sorta, kinda playable. Not good by any means, but at this point I don't have high hopes in 343 making MCC good product. I'd settle with functional.

My main issue is netcode in H2:A. It's the game that i want to play the most in mp, and living in central Europe, it's practically unplayable due to horrible lag. Dedis could probably fix this, but they're nowhere to be seen. A MONTH AFTER LAUNCH.

So, yeah, thanks for ODST, but we're not ok. Shit is still bad and needs A LOT of work.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, if they're compensating people who played the game before 19th, does it mean that they think the game is fully functional now?

BECAUSE IT IS NOT.

Let alone campaign issues, still uneven teams, and longer than acceptable matchmaking times. It's sorta, kinda playable. Not good by any means, but at this point I don't have high hopes in 343 making MCC good product. I'd settle with functional.

My main issue is netcode in H2:A. It's the game that i want to play the most in mp, and living in central Europe, it's practically unplayable due to horrible lag. Dedis could probably fix this, but they're nowhere to be seen. A MONTH AFTER LAUNCH.

So, yeah, thanks for ODST, but we're not ok. Shit is still bad and needs A LOT of work.

Jesus. No they didn't say they are done fixing it at all, in fact they stated the exact opposite. In the fucking OP. The very first paragraph..

Try reading it before your next rant.

Got in on launch and then got scared off with all the negative stories about the online. So waited to play online and just went eith the story modes. Guess I am missing out on the make good items, which is a bit of a bummer.

I too am not sure if I get the bonus or not.

I pre-ordered but held off on going into multiplayer until problems were fixed.

Which means I never tried to play a multiplayer game. Do I get this bonus simply for being logged into Live while playing single player?

*EDIT* Sorry, it appears my question has been answered. Thanks people!

Admodieus

As much as I would prefer Reach (SP and MP), I realize why they're going with ODST - it has no multiplayer to port over (it used Halo 3's MP) and is a quick up-res similar to Halo 3. It won't take too many resources and too long to do. Reach would require them to shove another multiplayer engine into the fold, which could exacerbate the current issues even more.

Glass

Xbone & MCC is sat under my tree so won't get the bonus stuff but happy for people who do. The damage was done at launch, it can't be undone, but what you can so is show the sincerity of your apology with a gesture like this. Kudos.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yay we're getting the worst Halo in 1080p. :|

Just kidding, thanks 343i. It is the worst Halo tho.

BibiMaghoo

Nice of them to offer something for their fuckups. They don't have to give anything at the end of the day, and that offer is generous. I hope for all that bought it they fix the game soon.

JP

Would be very happy to get ODST but reading the eligibility criteria I'm not sure if I qualify. I had a quick go on all the games to see how they ran more than anything but I've not yet touched the multiplayer due to the issues.
Content and 1 month of Xbox Live Gold will be provided to all players of the “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” game on any day from launch on November 11, 2014 through December 19, 2014 at 11:59 pm PST (all Gamertags that have logged activity in the game via Xbox Live during this period will be eligible). Xbox Live Gold will be delivered as early as mid-January 2015. Offer is non-transferable.
I'm not sure if this means I had to of played the multiplayer or whether I just had to have played the collection while logged into Live? Anybody seen this clarified elsewhere?

I'd love to replay ODST at 1080 60 so this is a nice extra, an extra map for H2A MP is also excellent news.

Still waiting for all the game crashes to be sorted out, random crashes on map loading, menu glitches, single player errors, online co-op desyncs in halo 2, lot's of stuff still needs fixing.

FyreWulff

I'm curious as to the omission of Firefight. ODST's Campaign and Firefight are the same engine - Firefight is essentially a Campaign mission with some custom scorekeeping UI. It uses the exact same networking, scripting, etc.

Like, they're so similar that someone at Bungie accidentally flipped the metadata for the Firefight and Campaign versions of Rally Point (daytime) and nobody noticed until after ship.

The most obvious result of that fact is that Rally Point Campaign has the only invincible Phantoms in the campaign, and Rally Point Firefight has the only destructible Phantoms in Firefight.

Anung

Un Rama
My favourite Halo or at least near the top. The atmosphere and soundtrack was the best the series had seen. So this is fantastic news.

Sucks about the cut off period as my Xbox One and MCC is sitting wrapped under my tree. Wish I had a go now while I was updating the X1.

Still the gesture will become empty if the game continues to run like shit. Lol maybe I'll get Reach for free in a few months time.

Lone Wolf

Yay we're getting the worst Halo in 1080p. :|

Just kidding, thanks 343i. It is the worst Halo tho.

ODST seems to split the Halo fans. I thought it had the best soundtrack of all the Halo games, and was my favorite campaign behind CE.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
As the only Halo game I've never played, I certainly wouldn't mind, but I do suspect it's easily the worst of the Halo titles.

Why the hell do you suspect that? ODST is amazing.

The first time you fight a pair of hunters as a regular guy instead of an 8 foot tall super soldier in advanced armor, is one of the best moments in Halo.

My only complaint is lack of Elites much like Halo 3.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've read this a few times and i'm still not sure if i'll get the free stuff. I got the game at launch and have put the disc in, installed it and launched it, but it doesn't show on my gamertag because i didn't get any achievements. Is launching it all i needed to do, or did i actually have to play an online match or something?

Sounds like you had to participate in at least one online match.

Anyways I'm pleased with what they're giving as ODST is the only Halo I've never played.

Not read the whole the thread but I bought the Le day one and installed it day one. I booted it up to check it worked but not played it yet as it's a Christmas pressie. So I'm wondering, will I get the free odst campaign etc?

Sounds like you had to participate in at least one online match.

Anyways I'm pleased with what they're giving as ODST is the only Halo I've never played.

it's very unclear. It could mean play as in press play and launch the game, or play as in play a match. It doesn't specifically say "play an online match" just says play while online, which i assume means just launch the game while connected to xbox live so it can be sure you've actually launched it.

RobotVM

Just my luck. Bought the game on Black Friday and never opened it because of all the issues. Yesterday I opened it to play but ended up having to leave my house.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
it's very unclear. It could mean play as in press play and launch the game, or play as in play a match. It doesn't specifically say "play an online match" just says play while online, which i assume means just launch the game while connected to xbox live so it can be sure you've actually launched it.

It says specifically any players that have logged activity on Xbox Live.
I took that as online matches, but it could mean achievements.

I'm not sure if pressing play and barely playing the game will register anything.

badams

Jesus. No they didn't say they are done fixing it at all, in fact they stated the exact opposite. In the fucking OP. The very first paragraph..

Try reading it before your next rant.

I've read OP. My problem is, why they are not compensating people who're buying MCC after 19th? It's not fully functional product they are selling.

Also, I can be wrong here, but I think, they naver acknowledged this specific issue with H2:A, just like many other problems this game has. And when people move to this new hot H5 beta, they will have even less reasons to do so. They will get matchmaking working for people in US, but above that? Let's not kid ourselves, they have another game to finish, and they will move on, sooner than later. At this point I lost faith that I will ever be able to play this game properly.

Jito

Banned
Is the game working as intended now? Cause if I buy the game today and it's still not working, why am I not entitled to the free stuff as well?

Can't wait to see Relic again, one of the best maps from Halo 2.

It says specifically any players that have logged activity on Xbox Live.
I took that as online matches, but it could mean achievements.

I'm not sure if pressing play and barely playing the game will register anything.

All online users that have played “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” between Nov. 11, 2014 and Dec. 19, 20141 will be eligible for the 1-month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar, as well as the campaign for “Halo 3: ODST.”

Seems very clear when reading the statement. Play the Collection while being online. Crystal clear, really.

Nice of them to offer something for their fuckups. They don't have to give anything at the end of the day, and that offer is generous. I hope for all that bought it they fix the game soon.

I'd love to know how much this failed launch has/will cost them financially.

TCKaos

I'm curious as to the omission of Firefight. ODST's Campaign and Firefight are the same engine - Firefight is essentially a Campaign mission with some custom scorekeeping UI. It uses the exact same networking, scripting, etc.

Like, they're so similar that someone at Bungie accidentally flipped the metadata for the Firefight and Campaign versions of Rally Point (daytime) and nobody noticed until after ship.

The most obvious result of that fact is that Rally Point Campaign has the only invincible Phantoms in the campaign, and Rally Point Firefight has the only destructible Phantoms in Firefight.

That's actually hilarious.

You should have a blog or a tumblr or twitter for posting a factoid like that once a day or something. You're probably the person most knowledgeable of the Halo game's internal systems outside of Jason Jones himself.

MaxiLive

That's actually hilarious.

You should have a blog or a tumblr or twitter for posting a factoid like that once a day or something. You're probably the person most knowledgeable of the Halo game's internal systems outside of Jason Jones himself.

Haha! I was thinking the same :p

But yay for free ODST :D Can't wait to give that a go but I don't expect it being out for at least another 4-6 months if they have only just started work on it?

Is there a date on when you get the 1 month worth of Xbox Live Gold?

All online users that have played “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” between Nov. 11, 2014 and Dec. 19, 20141 will be eligible for the 1-month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar, as well as the campaign for “Halo 3: ODST.”

Seems very clear when reading the statement. Play the Collection while being online. Crystal clear, really.

But it's not clear on what actually counts as playing, launching the game could be considered playing.

MaxiLive

But it's not clear on what actually counts as playing, launching the game could be considered playing.

All "online" users seems to me to think anyone who booted the game while connected to Xbox Live. I don't think it matters if you actually got into a game or played any multiplayer sessions. At least I hope not as I never upgraded to gold due to it being rather broke :D

Tawpgun

Yeah if they're adding H4 SpOps I would LOVE to have ODST firefight...

Maybe fyre can answer this, but would it be feasible to add matchmaking to ODST Firefight? Or is it one of those situations where the OG game didn't have MM so it would be hard to put in.

Anyway, I'm glad we're getting these things. Whether or not they were originally planned is a consideration, but I'll put away the tin foil hat and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Only disappointing thing is Relic. It was chosen for being a map good for 4 v 4 and 8 v 8. But 4 v 4 games on relic were trash outside of snipers.

That and it seems they still won't fix the gametype/map/objective weapon starts issues.... so while Relic will be free I feel that they should PAY ME to play SMG starts on Relic.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Maybe they'll get it then. But the Live Gold says specifically those that logged activity on Live. What that entails exactly I don't know.

It's easily one of the best Halo campaigns actually. Some of Marty's best work as far as soundtracks go.

I have no doubt about the quality of the soundtrack. I've heard it beginning to end, but I'm just not so sure about the game itself. I always doubted it because I viewed it as a quick and cheap cash in that I didn't feel very good about spending my money on. Thankfully, I now get to find out for free.

Top Bottom