• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letter from Bonnie Ross in regards to MCC (Halo 3 ODST SP free to MCC players)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Maybe they'll get it then. But the Live Gold says specifically those that logged activity on Live. What that entails exactly I don't know.

If you even boot the game while connected to Live your friends will see "ShinUltramanJ is playing Halo", that is what they consider activity. It's just proof you own the game before the date since Live tracks all your activities.

WarpathDC

Best Halo for free? Yes Please

Edit: No Firefight is a bit disappointing though.

Aria-Montgomery-Are-You-Serious-Gif.gif

This is great though, good on them. Letting us into the beta after free preview enrollees kind of blows though.

EYEL1NER

Maybe they'll get it then. But the Live Gold says specifically those that logged activity on Live. What that entails exactly I don't know.
I don't know, I figured that 'logging activity' simply meant being connected, since Live tracks everything you do. I mean, any of the monthly rewards deals that talk about "logging activity on Netflix for 12 hours' or something don't require you to be actively using the app and watching movies, people just sit on the main screen for 12 hours and it tracks it.

I'm sure that someone will ask on Twitter soon and it will be clarified but the nameplate and stuff are due out before years's end so some of us will know if we qualify or not at that point.

If you even boot the game while connected to Live your friends will see "ShinUltramanJ is playing Halo", that is what they consider activity. It's just proof you own the game before the date since Live tracks all your activities.

I really hope that's all i needed to do. I launched the game but i haven't played any yet, so it doesn't even show in my games list as i've got no achievements for it yet.

So to clarify, Microsoft are 'giving away' a half decade old, last generation £1.59 bargain bin game and suddenly they are redeemed in the eyes of their fans? This lack or accountability is why Halo 5 will be an even bigger travesty than Halo 4.
The game shouldn't have launched like this, and you'd do well to not buy games heavily reliant on online functionality until you know that it works. You shouldn't pre-order games in general. Or at least be aware of the risks.

But from what I've heard they seem quite keen on making things run as they should've. I don't know what more you could ask in that regard. Free stuff doesn't absolve them, but free stuff's nice, I'd rather have it than not. Especially since I bought the thing for the campaigns, haven't played ODST, and would like to. They'll probably sell this upframeressed edition for closer to $10. And I bought the game for half off. For me this has worked out pretty well.

I don't recall any upset with Halo 4, I reckon MCC is an outlier in that has so much stuff and Halo 5 will probably be fine. But, you know, wouldn't pre-order it.

Iorv3th

The game shouldn't have launched like this, and you'd do well to not buy games heavily reliant on online functionality until you know that it works. You shouldn't pre-order games in general. Or at least be aware of the risks.

But from what I've heard they seem quite keen on making things run as they should've. I don't know what more you could ask in that regard. Free stuff doesn't absolve them, but free stuff's nice, I'd rather have it than not. Especially since I bought the thing for the campaigns, haven't played ODST, and would like to. They'll probably sell this upframeressed edition for closer to $10. And I bought the game for half off. For me this has worked out pretty well.

I don't recall any upset with Halo 4, I reckon MCC is an outlier in that has so much stuff and Halo 5 will probably be fine. But, you know, wouldn't pre-order it.

You can't be serious? I mean it worked when it launched sure.

jelly

I'm curious as to the omission of Firefight. ODST's Campaign and Firefight are the same engine - Firefight is essentially a Campaign mission with some custom scorekeeping UI. It uses the exact same networking, scripting, etc.

Like, they're so similar that someone at Bungie accidentally flipped the metadata for the Firefight and Campaign versions of Rally Point (daytime) and nobody noticed until after ship.

The most obvious result of that fact is that Rally Point Campaign has the only invincible Phantoms in the campaign, and Rally Point Firefight has the only destructible Phantoms in Firefight.

Not to be too whiny but these sort of omissions don't help put 343 in a good light, it's bare mininum work rather than going the extra mile because they want the best. Ridiculous value blah blah isn't a pass, you've got to care and 343 don't show that enough. A that'll do collection is not something to be proud of. We've done enough, got their money approach is disappointing.

So I didn't buy this specifically because of all the issues. and because I didn't reward them for their fuck up, I don't get to play ODST at all?
Unless I read the faq wrong they said they might let others maybe get it who knows

Ok then

Magwik

Banned
So I didn't buy this specifically because of all the issues. and because I didn't reward them for their fuck up, I don't get to play ODST at all?
Unless I read the faq wrong they said they might let others maybe get it who knows

Ok then

You didn't buy a broken game so why should you get anything? You'll get to play ODST, but it will most likely be sold as DLC.

All online users that have played “Halo: The Master Chief Collection” between Nov. 11, 2014 and Dec. 19, 20141 will be eligible for the 1-month of Xbox Live Gold, an exclusive in-game nameplate and avatar, as well as the campaign for “Halo 3: ODST.”

Seems very clear when reading the statement. Play the Collection while being online. Crystal clear, really.

Appreciate that. But what exactly does "played" mean? Does it mean booting it up to the main menu while connected to live or actually playing a game? I'm sure it's the latter. Just my luck!

Well this is lame, my wife got it for me for Christmas and since it's a gift I lose out on this as I won't be playing until Christmas Day.

Fuck

I hope that the xbox one version keeps the gloomy and over done bloom lighting, it made the game feel more mysterious as you ran around feeling under powered compared to the chief.

J10

Banned
I'm curious as to the omission of Firefight. ODST's Campaign and Firefight are the same engine - Firefight is essentially a Campaign mission with some custom scorekeeping UI. It uses the exact same networking, scripting, etc.

Like, they're so similar that someone at Bungie accidentally flipped the metadata for the Firefight and Campaign versions of Rally Point (daytime) and nobody noticed until after ship.

The most obvious result of that fact is that Rally Point Campaign has the only invincible Phantoms in the campaign, and Rally Point Firefight has the only destructible Phantoms in Firefight.

I'm assuming they want to sell Firefight separately at an additional cost.

Homeboyd

Well this is lame, my wife got it for me for Christmas and since it's a gift I lose out on this as I won't be playing until Christmas Day.

Fuck
Yeah but the game sort of works now doesn't it? This is for the people that have endured all the problems mcc had since launch...

JP

This is the way that I'm understanding it but until they clarify one way or another it's all down to interpretation and neither option is certain. I do hope it;s this though...for obvious reasons.

Hubble

Better than nothing and they seemed to have tried. I wish we got more substantial things though. IMO I don't care for the ODST campaign and don't think many people do but maybe I am wrong. I wish they would have include more remade maps like new map packs.

sangreal

Fuck

It still has major issues. Just lame since I could have popped it in to get this.

While I don't deny that it still has issues, you don't see how ridiculous it is to complain that the game has major issues that you should be compensated for when you have never even put the disc in?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is definitely more than adequate compensation for all the trouble with the MCC (so far as improvements are still being made and the MCC will be fully fixed in a reasonable amount of time from now). I think the 1 month of Gold pretty much compensates for the wasted time spent on Gold trying to get the matchmaking to work, and ODST and the free remade map are not only awesome freebies for the trouble, but it also confirms that map remakes of the rest of the Halo 2 maps plus remastered Reach (and maybe Halo Wars!?!?!) are definitely on the table now.

The ONLY thing that would have made this perfect is letting the MCC players play the beta early (right now) rather than make it just for the preview members.

tmac456

wish frankie or someone on that dev team would comment about the dedicated servers

i want those up and the ranking system up. those are my top 2 things

asdad123

I guess im screwed on this offer? I played one mission of the halo 4 campaign, then had the bug where it got stuck at the loading screen and didn't save (though I got the achievement).

After that I said I'd wait for fixes and put it back on the shelf. Never played online.

Its pathetic how they still cant get it to work, and even more pathetic that everyone feels 343 redeemed themselves by offering another rehashed last gen game.

So, if I understand this correctly.

If you buy this game from now on you:

a) won't get access to ODST (or any of the special items)

b) still get a broken game, from a developer with questionable reliability

I'm not sure how this is gonna help anyone. Lock out potential customers and continue treating the current ones like crap?

wwm0nkey

When you buy this game from now on you:

b) you still get a broken game, from a developer with questionable reliability

I'm not sure how this is gonna help anyone. Lock out potential customers and continue to shit on the current ones?
Game is working much better now, still some nasty issues but it's far better than when it launched.

This was for people who had to deal with launch shenanigans.

OneUh8

Fuck

Same here. Oh well, I wanted the MCC for the multi. Hopefully they do make it available to everyone at some point if I wanted to play it. Even as paid DLC.

Montresor

When you buy this game from now on you:

b) you still get a broken game, from a developer with questionable reliability

I'm not sure how this is gonna help anyone. Lock out potential customers and continue to shit on the current ones?

Current customers will get ODST for free when it comes out. Future customers will have the option to buy ODST. This is actually unbelievably amazing news. Forget the fact that this is part of a compensation plan. ODST is coming to MCC! This is megaton-level stuff. Reach shouldn't be far behind. So MCC will end up being a completely comprehensive collection of all mainline Halo games when all is said and done.

As someone who hasn't bought MCC yet, this greatly pleases me.

All of this is of course contingent on 343 actually fixing the original MCC. I hope they can - I won't say I think they can, because they have been mostly incompetent up to this point. But this is like if, say Mario Galaxy Collection on Wii U was broken for two months, and Nintendo came out and said "We'll fix this as soon as we can guys, oh and, you guys will get Super Mario Sunshine as compensation". Or if Zelda 3D Collection on Wii U was broken for two months and Nintendo gave early adopters all the handheld Zelda games for free.

Sure the game still isn't fixed but for now I'll enjoy the awesome, eventual prospect of ODST and Reach being a part of MCC. I don't even care about ODST being free - I didn't buy MCC and I will never buy it as long as it's broken. But if this thing gets fixed, and it ends up having ODST and Reach as a part of its package? Lord have mercy.

Current customers will get ODST for free when it comes out. Future customers will have the option to buy ODST. This is actually unbelievably amazing news. Forget the fact that this is part of a compensation plan. ODST is coming to MCC! This is megaton-level stuff. Reach shouldn't be far behind. So MCC will end up being a completely comprehensive collection of all mainline Halo games when all is said and done.

As someone who hasn't bought MCC yet, this greatly pleases me.

All of this is of course contingent on 343 actually fixing the original MCC. I hope they can - I won't say I think they can, because they have been mostly incompetent up to this point. But this is like if, say Mario Galaxy Collection on Wii U was broken for two months, and Nintendo came out and said "We'll fix this as soon as we can guys, oh and, you guys will get Super Mario Sunshine as compensation". Or if Zelda 3D Collection on Wii U was broken for two months and Nintendo gave early adopters all the handheld Zelda games for free.

Sure the game still isn't fixed but for now I'll enjoy the awesome, eventual prospect of ODST and Reach being a part of MCC. I don't even care about ODST being free - I didn't buy MCC and I will never buy it as long as it's broken. But if this thing gets fixed, and it ends up having ODST and Reach as a part of its package? Lord have mercy.

Yeah, that's not my point of view at all.

It still doesn't work and 343 is like "Don't worry; we just started development on ODST HD! If you were stupid enough buying our game on release, you'll get it for free".

It's absurd to say the least.

Tzeentch

Not to be too whiny but these sort of omissions don't help put 343 in a good light, it's bare mininum work rather than going the extra mile because they want the best.
ITT we discover that gamers have no understanding of the effort it takes to port games to different platforms

sangreal

If you buy this game from now on you:

b) still get a broken game, from a developer with questionable reliability

I'm not sure how this is gonna help anyone. Lock out potential customers and continue treating the current ones like crap?

Yeah, that's not my point of view at all.

It still doesn't work and 343 is like "Don't worry; we just started development on ODST HD! If you were stupid enough buying our game on release, you'll get it for free".

It's absurd to say the least.

What's your basis for saying the game "still doesn't work" and is "broken"? From your posts, it sounds like you do not even own this game -- let alone are personally having problems with it

Top Bottom