• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letter from Bonnie Ross in regards to MCC (Halo 3 ODST SP free to MCC players)

tbm24

Just seems weird to me to just take other people's word for it and not even bother to pop in the game you just paid $60 for to try it out for yourself, even once.
To be clear, I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I just genuinely don't understand. Like, the way I see it, if you cared so little that you didn't even find it worth it to open the box based off the word of others, why buy it day one at all, especially given that you have a ton of other games to play?
The day MCC came out is also the day Target was doing their buy 2g1f deal. I bought 3 games that day and decided to play the other two since by most accounts on GAF it was busted rather terribly. Since it continued to stay busted I didn't bother. Waiting until it was confirmed to work the way it should. Even if I didn't experience the bustedness first hand, I still paid the same $60 the others did. Would have preferred the ability to register the game and not link it solely to online activity.

Either way, I at least hope ODST will be up for purchase and not only for this promotion.

.la1n

They pretty much have to do reach now, you can't just have 5 out of 6 campaigns. Do it! Do it nao!

Reach is my favorite campaign. I hope they'll do it. It would feel really odd having the entire package minus one campaign.

Syriel

Better than nothing and they seemed to have tried. I wish we got more substantial things though. IMO I don't care for the ODST campaign and don't think many people do but maybe I am wrong. I wish they would have include more remade maps like new map packs.

You are wrong.

Afrocious

ITT we see great examples of how consumers have lowered their expectations which allows broken shit like MCC to even hit the shelf.

This.

I traded in MCC in all its broken glory.

People who think this compensation is suitable are continuing to set themselves up for the dangerous trend of supporting broken games in hopes they'll be fixed.

This.

I traded in MCC in all its broken glory.

People who think this compensation is suitable are continuing to set themselves up for the dangerous trend of supporting broken games in hopes they'll be fixed.

As mentioned earlier, I will bet my entire life's savings that the ODST/H2A Relic will also be a botch when it launches.

Sai-kun

Banned
Holy shit lmao. I'm actually a bit jealous. Still no intentions of buying this, but that's awesome for all you folks who've actually got the game :) ODST ruuuules.

And Relic is just...*sob* so good

Afrocious

I don't think the compensation is instead of fixing MCC...

Of course not, but I don't think it's a good look for a consumer to be putting down a 60 buck down payment on a promise of a functional game from people who didn't fulfill that promise, and then hoping for a completely functional game down the line.

"Hey company who makes games I like but screwed up the previous one! Here's some money. I want your product by the date you declared. Oh wait, it's still not fixed? Oh I'll just let you keep my money and sit on my hands until it's fixed."

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I would rather that they invest the time into a proper map pack for h2a and get the servers online

Judging by my SWAT matches yesterday, we're still rocking P2P. Those Australian servers that are supposedly online, aren't. My dash still gets 200ping.

PooBone

Relic was one of my favorite Halo 2 maps. ODST was great. I haven't played MCC yet but I'll gladly pay for both once they're available.

Noobcraft

Judging by my SWAT matches yesterday, we're still rocking P2P. Those Australian servers that are supposedly online, aren't. My dash still gets 200ping.
In USA not far from a data center (couple hundred miles) and I also ping 200 with the dashboard test. In Titanfall I ping 120 to Eastern Europe (60 to North Central US) and that's the worst it gets. I don't think the dashboard pings the same servers.

ElRenoRaven

They sold a broken game. There is no excuse.

Exactly. Nobody is questioning that it's hard to do what they did but goddamn it if you're going to release a product then don't release it as a broken piece of shit. It's really that goddamn simple. Have some goddamn respect and delay its release until it's in a state that it should be released.

Sadly so goddamn many morons have just bent over for so goddamn long and it's gotten to the point that these companies release these broken pieces of shit because they know they can get away with it. Hell they even have idiots defending them like they're their goddamn flesh and blood family or something.

Spades

Of course not, but I don't think it's a good look for a consumer to be putting down a 60 buck down payment on a promise of a functional game from people who didn't fulfill that promise, and then hoping for a completely functional game down the line.

No, I get that, they fucked up. But they're trying to make it right. Fixing the game and giving some (good) freebies to those affected is a pretty good offering in my book.

What about those who bought the digital version and installed it but never played it? I think I may have "accidentally" launched it when messing around in the Halo Channel. It'll be interesting to see what they do with those customers.

FyreWulff

I'm assuming they want to sell Firefight separately at an additional cost.

Not to be too whiny but these sort of omissions don't help put 343 in a good light, it's bare mininum work rather than going the extra mile because they want the best. Ridiculous value blah blah isn't a pass, you've got to care and 343 don't show that enough. A that'll do collection is not something to be proud of. We've done enough, got their money approach is disappointing.

I'm legitimately curious if the higher ups that had to do the accounting on the project - who probably wouldn't know the technical details since it's not their job - thought "oh, Firefight is another mode. We're not going to budget porting that over" - like CEA 360 not having H1 Multiplayer - and don't realize that Firefight essentially comes 'free' with getting ODST's campaign running.

They pretty much have to do reach now, you can't just have 5 out of 6 campaigns. Do it! Do it nao!

With this coming in the Spring, I suspect Reach will come late summer announced at E3.

Keep that Halo hype rolling right up to Halo 5.

343 are worked with a number of 3rd parties to bring MCC. Adding Reach will be another team which shouldn't impact on Halo 5.

Are certain playlists broken on MCC or something? Because I've been only playing on H2 Anniversary all day and I've had perfect matches with no crashes :/

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So what is the nameplate we are getting? "I beta tested this?"

And this compensation is quite poor considering how broken the game still is and the straight up lies from 343 such as dedicated servers and exactly how we remembered them...

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Are certain playlists broken on MCC or something? Because I've been only playing on H2 Anniversary all day and I've had perfect matches with no crashes :/

I havent tried for a few patches, but BTB was still borked.

Lol at the ENTITLED GAMERS who have never played this, yet still feel they should get free shit. You ENTITLED GAMERS get me everytime.

darthbob

I'm legitimately curious if the higher ups that had to do the accounting on the project - who probably wouldn't know the technical details since it's not their job - thought "oh, Firefight is another mode. We're not going to budget porting that over" - like CEA 360 not having H1 Multiplayer - and don't realize that Firefight essentially comes 'free' with getting ODST's campaign running.

I don't think there's any technical issue behind the omission of Firefight. As you said, it essentially comes free with ODST's Campaign as the two are inherently similar. The mode could be added to the multiplayer tab in the MCC UI next to Forge and SpOps even.

Then again perhaps the reason it isn't coming is due to the timeframe that they want to get ODST out.

FyreWulff

I don't think there's any technical issue behind the omission of Firefight. As you said, it essentially comes free with ODST's Campaign as the two are inherently similar. The mode could be added to the multiplayer tab in the MCC UI next to Forge and SpOps even.

Then again perhaps the reason it isn't coming is due to the timeframe that they want to get ODST out.

That could be it, but in that case it'd make sense if it was ODST campaign first, and then Firefight later, like they did with SpOps in the MCC (is that even available yet?), but they've outright said Firefight currently isn't even in the cards.

So unless they ever explain why, sounds like plain ol' budget reasons.

DunpealD

"Survivor"

I'll raise you this
1iu0KEM.jpg

Haven't played this much yet. But I already met my first bug in Halo CE coop at the ship in the beginning :<. Screen froze but character still moved on partners side.

Interesting gesture. I just hope that releasing undercooked products like MCC/Unity/Driveclub(online mode) won't become a trend.

blamite

Honestly I wouldn't be super surprised if Firefight still manages to get snuck in before release. If development literally just started, they could've decided to initially announce campaign only in order to set up a potential under-promise, over-deliver situation if they later decided Firefight would be doable.

With that said, I'm not expecting to get Firefight, so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I still wouldn't 100% rule it out.

darthbob

That could be it, but in that case it'd make sense if it was ODST campaign first, and then Firefight later, like they did with SpOps in the MCC (is that even available yet?), but they've outright said Firefight currently isn't even in the cards

In the same press release with the MCC Compensation Bonnie mentions that next week's update will include SpOps.

Back to ODST, unfortunately I don't think we'll see Firefight make the cut due to 343's verbiage in the aforementioned press release.

i also just remembered that you can customize your ODST for FF too. that option could be added into the customization menu in MCC as well. Sgt. Johnson would HAVE to be unlocked for everyone

Honestly I wouldn't be super surprised if Firefight still manages to get snuck in before release. If development literally just started, they could've decided to initially announce campaign only in order to set up a potential under-promise, over-deliver situation if they later decided Firefight would be doable.

With that said, I'm not expecting to get Firefight, so I won't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, but I still wouldn't 100% rule it out.

I hope you're right. I NEED to hear Buck say "Bam said the Lady" in 60FPS.

FyreWulff

I'm also not ruling this out

Top Bottom