• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 to announce "extremely anticipated" title in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
gerg said:
I wouldn't be so negative. Do the titles really sell that badly? I knew that they underperformed, especially compared to European sales, but it's not like they tank, is it?

Well, I have heard nothing positive about Layton sales. And the Diabolical Box took fucking FOREVER to come out in the US. At the rate of increasing time frames, we'll get a third Layton by 2019.

Damn Hino is so unlucky. He has way too many 'new game announcement' stickers and he gets another one. Those 'definite japanese release date' stickers have become so rare, eh? Could be worse Hino, they aren't 'definite overseas release date' ones yet. Those are so limited no matter how many you draw, you'll never find them. I heard Nintendo collects them but never uses them either, so they aren't in circulation. Too bad.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Damn Hino is so unlucky. He has way too many 'new game announcement' stickers and he gets another one. Those 'definite japanese release date' stickers have become so rare, eh? Could be worse Hino, they aren't 'definite overseas release date' ones yet. Those are so limited no matter how many you draw, you'll never find them. I heard Nintendo collects them but never uses them either, so they aren't in circulation. Too bad.

:lol

gerg

Amir0x said:
Well, I have heard nothing positive about Layton sales. And the Diabolical Box took fucking FOREVER to come out in the US. At the rate of increasing time frames, we'll get a third Layton by 2019.

Blame localising puzzles, unfortunately.

Amir0x

Banned
gerg said:
Blame localising puzzles, unfortunately.

:/ I'm not sure why that would increase the time it took to localize it, when the first Layton came out shortly after the Japanese release (relatively speaking)

gerg

Amir0x said:
:/ I'm not sure why that would increase the time it took to localize it, when the first Layton came out shortly after the Japanese release (relatively speaking)

Some of the puzzles either feature or rely on knowledge of the Japanese language, and so those need to be removed and replaced with new ones. That explains the above-average localisation time in general, but unless puzzles were taken from the second game when the first was localised, I agree that the extra eight-month wait is mysterious. If that stays the same for The Last Time Travel, then we can complain once September is over.

duckroll

Layton sells very, very well in the US, not just in Europe. Part of the reason why the "localization" takes so long is also because the game has really fucking long legs, and Nintendo wants to maximize the sales by not releasing (or even announcing) a sequel too soon after each one.

Yes, it means a longer wait between titles and a growing gap between JP and US release, especially since they're practically yearly now in Japan with no sign of slowing down, but I wouldn't doubt that every single title will eventually be released in English.

Amir0x

Banned
How much is very well? I've never seen in chart (even in the top 20), and nobody seems to make any press releases about it doing well, and i don't hear about it having legs. You're the first I heard be so positive about the sales.

Still, cool if true. I'm not a big fan of the games but I basically want to finish the story, they have a thin connection and all.

gerg

Amir0x said:
How much is very well? I've never seen in chart (even in the top 20), and nobody seems to make any press releases about it doing well, and i don't hear about it having legs. You're the first I heard be so positive about the sales.

Still, cool if true. I'm not a big fan of the games but I basically want to finish the story, they have a thin connection and all.

The game's featured in Nintendo's Investor Relations presentations from time to time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I could see it being Break, given that he's been tweeting about it lately and I imagine they would love to get it out this summer for the WC.

Most likely the baseball game though.

Layton 1
bgc82t43xr3pjz646.gif

Layton 2
bgc82ju0qov3kol2u.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Wow @ Europe

And those sales are certainly respectable enough to get localizations in the US

Alrighty then. Guess I shouldn't be too concerned about the other games coming here.

duckroll

Here's the English version: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/100129qa/02.html

Of note is what Iwata has to say about the series:

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (developed by LEVEL-5 Inc., and published by Nintendo in the overseas markets) is selling well in Europe. This chart shows the sales transition until two weeks ago. The local subsidiary reported to us that its (life-to-date) sales figure reached two million. Even though selling two million copies is actually a great milestone, it's much smaller than the sales figures of Nintendogs and Brain Training and not even close to becoming a social phenomenon. Also, its influence on driving hardware sales by driving consumers to purchase hardware to play the software or revitalizing a number of Nintendo DS sleep users has not yet made it a social phenomena about which newspapers write up. The second version of Professor Layton (Professor Layton and the Diabolical / Pandora's Box) is also performing very well. Life-to-date sales figure in Europe is over 1.3 million units and there's still room for growth.

Shiggy

Amir0x said:

It was their Christmas blockbuster in Europe.
Edit: Too slow.

Even though selling two million copies is actually a great milestone, it's much smaller than the sales figures of Nintendogs and Brain Training and not even close to becoming a social phenomenon.
Wow, it almost sounds like he's a bit sad when his products don't become "social phenomenons" and are just among the best selling games. :lol

duckroll

"Son, I know you scored an A+. But even though that is a great achievement, your scores are still lower than your older brothers, and you are not even close to being the top student on the national level. :("

neo2046

slaughterking said:
Layton 1
http://666kb.com/i/bgc82t43xr3pjz646.gif[ /img]

Layton 2
[img]http://666kb.com/i/bgc82ju0qov3kol2u.gif[ /img][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://www.av100fun.com/images/smilies/yct08.gif
yct46.gif

yctX_12.gif
LEVEL-5

Spiegel

duckroll said:
Here's a recap of Level 5's recent trademarks:

- Sengoku Baseball Team
- Time Travelers

Probably the same game, and possibly the game they will be announcing since it was very recently trademarked.

Let's see:

DS -> Main platform for L5 games + the game is probably similar to IE + Power Pro series sells pretty good
Wii -> Wii remote - Baseball bat
PSP -> Power Pro series sells pretty good
PS3 -> Baseball games sell okay

Yeah, DS game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
"Son, I know you scored an A+. But even though that is a great achievement, your scores are still lower than your older brothers, and you are not even close to being the top student on the national level. :("

Iwata is the worst dad ever. :(

-PXG-

Dark Cloud 3. PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

I still haven't gotten WKC. It's one of the reasons why I got a PS3. Is it any good?

duckroll said:

This reminds me of a puzzle...

If Layton sells twice as much in Europe compared to the US, how many fucking months later are Europeans getting the next installment?

eggandI

Banned
Any knews on that Cardboard Senki game for the PSP? that looks really good but there has been absolutely no news on it for a long time. Supposedly Ushiro was canceled, so I hope it's not the same for Cardboard Senki.

Here's to hoping for Dark Cloud 3/True Fantasy Live Online.

gerg

StevePharma said:
This reminds me of a puzzle...

If Layton sells twice as much in Europe compared to the US, how many fucking months later are Europeans getting the next installment?

Actually, the time between the Japanese and European releases of the two Layton titles released in Europe has been consistent; the second may have even reached European shores quicker than the first, but the napkin math I did based on information from Wikipedia may have been wrong.

Unfortunately, due to the delayed release of the first in Europe and the series' long legs, don't expect the situation to improve very much very soon.

eggandI said:
Any knews on that Cardboard Senki game for the PSP? that looks really good but there has been absolutely no news on it for a long time. Supposedly Ushiro was canceled, so I hope it's not the same for Cardboard Senki.

The last time they showed Cardboard Senki (which, IIRC was renamed The Little Battlers?) was last TGS I think.

The only thing they've said about Ushiro is that it was on hold, along with IE Break while they diverted resources to finishing other projects. Although if it isn't cancelled (which would be a shame as it looked really good and interesting) I wouldn't be suprised if it's been moved to the 3DS or PSP2.

eggandI

Banned
Thanks! That doesn't sound too bad and yeah both games look really good. The production values looked to be through the roof.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
duckroll said:
Iwata said:
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (developed by LEVEL-5 Inc., and published by Nintendo in the overseas markets) is selling well in Europe. This chart shows the sales transition until two weeks ago. The local subsidiary reported to us that its (life-to-date) sales figure reached two million. Even though selling two million copies is actually a great milestone, it's much smaller than the sales figures of Nintendogs and Brain Training and not even close to becoming a social phenomenon. Also, its influence on driving hardware sales by driving consumers to purchase hardware to play the software or revitalizing a number of Nintendo DS sleep users has not yet made it a social phenomena about which newspapers write up. The second version of Professor Layton (Professor Layton and the Diabolical / Pandora's Box) is also performing very well. Life-to-date sales figure in Europe is over 1.3 million units and there's still room for growth.

Iwata....

Do I spot a sly trolling of Level-5?

Edit: Beaten

Ranger X

HAL_Laboratory said:
Nintendo has teamed up with Level 5 to make a new Earthbound.

Well, I wouldn't mind that Earthbound would just be "a liscence" and that some "non-Itoi" Earthbound games would see the light of the day. It would cancel my tag...

eggandI said:

Hino said in a Tweet today that they're going to share lots of info on Cardboard Senki/Danbol Senki before summer.

[Nintex]

I don't think Level-5 is working on it right now but a new Earthbound would be possible. Itoi said that he was done with the series, Sakurai said the same thing about Smash Bros untill Iwata said: "Oh well, I guess I'll just have to let TOSE port Super Smash Bros. Melee to Wii".

Iwata: "So you told me that you didn't want to do another Mother."
Itoi: "And that was suppposed to be the end of it..."

Iwata: "However..."

Itoi: "You told me that a collaboration with HAL and Sonic Team would be set up if I didn't make it."

Iwata:"Yes, Sonic Team was ready to work on something else after the Sonic series and this seemed like a good opportunity for them."

Iwata: "Mr. Iizuka was thrilled when I told him of this idea!"

Itoi: "But I wasn't..."

Iwata: "I remember that! You somehow found out about our plans and called me the same night!"

Itoi: "It wasn't a very nice conversation!"

Iwata: "Right, it was rather... harsh!" (laughs)

Iwata: "What are your thoughts on this Mr. Miyamoto?"

Miyamoto: "I'm confident that Project Sora, Mr. Itoi and Mr. Sakurai will be able to meet their deadline this time."

Iwata: "Yes, I think they know of the importance that this game gets made!" (laughs)

Miyamoto: "To tell you the truth, I called Mr. Itoi that night."

Iwata: "Really, you never told me?"

Miyamoto: "I was rather shocked when I heard about Sonic Team... to be honest with you I didn't think they had the skill to create a game like Mother."

Miyamoto: "I told Mr. Koizumi earlier about this as well and he said: "There are not enough tea tables in the world for you to upend if you ever had to work with Sonic Team!" "

Iwata: "So there was an entire conspiracy amongst Nintendo developers to prevent Sonic Team from working on the Mother series?" (laughs)

Miyamoto: "Even Mr. Aonuma who usually doesn't have an opinion about our plans said that he'd leave Nintendo if it were to happen."

Miyamoto: "Mr. Eguchi told me that the end product would be worse than Wii Music."

Iwata: "Wow, I didn't know that I had made such a bold move! After all, Nintendo works with other creative partners all the time."

Itoi: "And that's the keyword: 'creative' I don't think 'creative' is the right word to describe Sonic Team."

Iwata: "As a writer, how would you describe them Mr. Itoi?"

Itoi: "There are not enough words in the world to describe Sonic Team!"

Miyamoto: "And not enough tea tables to upend!"

All: (laugh)

duckroll

What the fuck does this have to do with Level 5? Please stop derailing this thread with nonsense and then linking to your blog. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom