• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 Vision 2009 confirmed - 25th Aug, 3 new titles

duckroll said:
Yes. I highly doubt you can fit 21 tracks of music in that tiny amount of space. That's why NES and SNES games only had 5 track soundtracks at most. Damn.

Well, if they are mp3-based songs, then my argument is still there. If the songs are midi-based in a way, however, it could be on WiiWare. *nod*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GCX said:
How big is Level 5 nowadays anyway? They have all these projects + Dragon Quest X probably too. Only a few years back they could only make 1 or 2 project at a time.
Now that I think about it, they're making:

- Professor Layton and the Devil's Flute
- Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard/Fire
- Sloan And McHale 2
- Ninokuni
- Mystery Room
- Fantasy Life
- Ushiro
- Inazume Eleven Break
- Cardboard Wars
- Inazume Eleven Future
- Layton London Tales
- White Knight Chronicles 2
- And possibly Dragon Quest X

Hydrargyrus

Nirolak said:
Now that I think about it, they're making:

- Professor Layton and the Devil's Flute
- Inazuma Eleven 2: Blizzard/Fire
- Sloan And McHale 2
- Ninokuni
- Mystery Room
- Fantasy Life
- Ushiro
- Inazume Eleven Break
- Cardboard Wars
- Inazume Eleven Future
- Layton London Tales
- White Knight Chronicles 2
- And possibly Dragon Quest X

I'm still waiting the first one...

Maybe the TGS will be where they show more for the rest of consoles. I don't know, but I'm a bit disappointed for today, I waited for, at least, one announce to PS3

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hydrargyrus said:
I'm still waiting the first one...

Maybe the TGS will be where they show more for the rest of consoles. I don't know, but I'm a bit disappointed for today, I waited for, at least, one announce to PS3
As has been stated numerously in this thread, if there was ever any console game announcement it'll be done elsewhere aka White Knight Chronicles, Dragon Quest, even the vaporware that is Dark Cloud 3. I don't think Level 5 want to pursue publishing their own games on consoles just yet, especially when the business model they are doing is making them a lot of money.

This annual event is for Level 5 published efforts. Why bother giving another publisher free advertisement/hype for a product?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
speedpop said:
This annual event is for Level 5 published efforts. Why bother giving another publisher free advertisement/hype for a product?
While I agree with the rest of your post, they do get money for games they only develop as well, so there's a large incentive to help promote it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nirolak said:
While I agree with the rest of your post, they do get money for games they only develop as well, so there's a large incentive to help promote it.
Not really, not for free anyway. Why promote titles that could overshadow their own?

Nirolak said:

Maybe they are trying to grown more independent and become a bigger publisher so they would rather push their own IPs? Would be kinda interesting if they actually bought BB, they probably have the finances to pull off such a move.

Akai

Nirolak said:

But a lot of that revolves around whether the publisher wants it shown or not. Take DQX, for example. If Level 5 is in fact developing the game, and it's ready to be shown (even in teaser format), I'd think Ninty would call dibs on showing it off at their own Octoberton...

jj984jj

THE Caffeinated said:
So what were the new titles and was Ushiro there ?
They only ended up announced 1, Fantasy Life. And no, they said it's not cancelled though.

Akai said:
But a lot of that revolves around whether the publisher wants it shown or not. Take DQX, for example. If Level 5 is in fact developing the game, and it's ready to be shown (even in teaser format), I'd think Ninty would call dibs on showing it off at their own Octoberton...

I think that's up to SE when they wanna show it....

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jj984jj said:
Not really, not for free anyway. Why promote titles that could overshadow their own?
Because they still get money from them. They get royalties and likely performance bonuses as well.

This is why Microsoft shows off Windows Mobile even though they're developing their own phone.

Akai said:
I agree with that reasoning for them not showing it off. I just disagree with Level 5 not wanting to show off games that they still make a lot of money off of for no other reason than they're not publishing it.

batbeg

I've just read sprsk's liveblog, do we have any media from this by any chance, or are we out of luck until famitsu hits?

jj984jj said:
They only ended up announced 1, Fantasy Life. And no, they said it's not cancelled though.

Didn't they announce 2? That puzzle game thing, as well. Or had it already been announced?

jj984jj

batbeg said:
Didn't they announce 2? That puzzle game thing, as well. Or had it already been announced?
Yes, technically, but I don't think the Atamania title wasn't suppose to be part of the 3 new announcements. They just decided not to show the 2 other games, probably for the best if they're far off.

GCX said:
The biggest news for me was the orchestrated OST by Joe Hisaishi for Ninokuni.
We knew that since last year though, the real news is that they're using a 4Gb DS cart for the game to fit his music on it. And that the game is a turn-based RPG! :D

GCX

jj984jj said:
We knew that since last year though, the real news is that they're using a 4Gb DS cart for the game to fit his music on it. And that the game is a turn-based RPG! :D
I knew about Hisaishi before but it's just nice to know it'll be fully orchestrated since that doesn't really happen with DS games.

TheUnknownForce said:
With 21 songs from Nobou I doubt WiiWare could fit that all in. I say DS.

Well FF4 The After Years on Wii Ware has prerecorded versions of the entire FF4DS soundtrack, plus a couple of extra tracks and its only 114 blocks (The biggest Wii Ware game is 325 Blocks IIRC) so its very possible!

Anyone else think its amazing just how far the DS carts have come? They started off with sizes up to 256mbit (32MB) and now span up to 4gbit! (512MB) We could get pretty much any PS1 port with no compromises now if devs wanted to port their games and most PSP levels of production could be done on DS now (In terms of music, FMV and scale, not in terms of graphics of course)

What an underwhelming event.

Looking at the positive side, they didn't announce more shit to delay in the coming years. They still delayed all the shit they have been announcing so far though, and put some on hold too. Great stuff Level 5.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nuclear Muffin said:
Anyone else think its amazing just how far the DS carts have come? They started off with sizes up to 256mbit (32MB) and now span up to 4gbit! (512MB) We could get pretty much any PS1 port with no compromises now if devs wanted to port their games and most PSP levels of production could be done on DS now (In terms of music, FMV and scale, not in terms of graphics of course)

[insert comment about FFVII remake for DS here]

duckroll said:
http://www.level5.co.jp/products/fantasylife/index.html

Planning and Production is by Level 5, Development is by Brownie Brown. Looks like Level 5 is already learning from Square Enix that if you want to release a shitload of DS games regularly, you need to start outsourcing!

I always thought Level 5 was the name of a studio owned by Square Enix. And is pretty much what Intelligent studio is to Nintendo. But if they are outsourcing to Brownie Brown, then... don't know where I'm going with this.

duckroll

the thoroughbred said:
I always thought Level 5 was the name of a studio owned by Square Enix. And is pretty much what Intelligent studio is to Nintendo. But if they are outsourcing to Brownie Brown, then... don't know where I'm going with this.

Erm, what?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
duckroll said:
Did you actually see all the annoying ass shit I was spamming on your liveblog? :lol

Yes. But like there were 4 or 5 other people trolling pretty hardcore who were just people pretending to be gaffers, couldn't really tell if you were who you really were.

duckroll

sprsk said:
Yes. But like there were 4 or 5 other people trolling pretty hardcore who were just people pretending to be gaffers, couldn't really tell if you were who you really were.

Sounds like Liveblogs have the same problems that Youtube comments have! :lol

slaughterking said:
Hu, Fantasy Life looks like Mother. And there's a Magikarp in one of those artworks.

Yeah and that Famitsu article mentions Mother 3 several times. What's that about?

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out. They're working with the company that handled Mother 3

jj984jj said:
Yes, technically, but I don't think the Atamania title wasn't suppose to be part of the 3 new announcements. They just decided not to show the 2 other games, probably for the best if they're far off.

Where are you guys getting that they only decided to show one of the three games they were going to announce?

They announced Mystery Room and Fantasy Life for sure. The third title could be the two new Atama no Taisou games. Or maybe it wasn't even a game. They did announce a Danbol Senki anime.

Towards the end of the press conference, Hino made a brief announcement that Ushiro and Inazuma Eleven Break weren't ready to be shown yet. This could be where confusion is coming from.

Acosta

duckroll said:
I love how after someone shat on Brownie Brown and Level 5 in the Brownie Brown thread, and people started going "DON'T COMPARE LEVEL 5 TO BROWNIE BROWN, THEY'RE MUCH BETTER" and now.... Level 5 is working with Brownie Brown on multiple projects! I knew they were the same deep inside! :lol

But they are. If they want to have Brownie Brown managing code and drawning sprites that's cool, but doesn't change the fact that a Level 5 games are usually more competent than Brownie Brown's ones. Of course, If you think Level 5 sucks or something it doesn't make any difference.

In any case, nice conference, some really interesting games ahead. The 4gb DS card was surprising, guess I'll have to import.

duckroll

c20090825_level5_01_28_cs1w1_256x384.jpg
c20090825_level5_01_29_cs1w1_256x384.jpg
c20090825_level5_01_30_cs1w1_256x384.jpg

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/189/189206/

shuyin_

Banned
Pretty underwhelming conference imo.

I was expecting definitive release dates (japan dates) for Ninokuni, Ushiro and Cardboard Senki. One of them wasn't even shown (Ushiro) while the other two got delayed!

They also advertised their conference by promising 3 new game announcements and they only announced one. wtf?

I refuse to talk about inazuma before they bring it over to europe. Also it's nice to see L5 milking supporting the Layton series, but I guess Dragona's prediction that we'll (maybe) have the entire series when the DS3000 hits is right.

duckroll

cw_sasuke said:
London Life looks awesome for being just another mode :D

Based on the visuals and the title, I would say that it's more or less a testbed/prototype for Fantasy Life. Most likely the same engine, and similar design concepts.

Top Bottom