• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 Vision 2009 confirmed - 25th Aug, 3 new titles

How can Ushiro not have been in a state to be shown when it has already been shown. I guess something had to give with Level 5 working on all these games so I guess its on hold until at least Cardboard Senki is out.

Which is looking pretty fantastic:
5wwf2w.jpg

2rwvudx.jpg

2uicjv6.jpg

14lnd3r.jpg

Also really excited for The Another World. Looks fantastic.

Problem is, with both of these games being 2010 for Japan, it brings the worrying prospect it might be 2011 before we see any of them in the west. Who is going to be picking them up for english translation? I seem to remember The Another World had a pub but no idea about Cardboard Senki/The Little Battlers.

Still pretty disappointed about Ushiro no-show. That looked like the best one they were making :/

Sipowicz

Banned
carboard senki does't look very good, same with the wonderful life game

i think ushiro and ninokuni will be the best games

GaussTek

Alright, if I understand correctly, London Life is Layton 4 or a different game? Now, those are also different from Fantasy Life, right?

I do like a lot the Mother 3 graphics style, nut I got confused a bit :p

BTW, Ninokuni looks just awesome, just saw the video. Hope it gets released in NA sometime... :D

batbeg

Sipowicz said:
carboard senki does't look very good, same with the wonderful life game

i think ushiro and ninokuni will be the best games

NO U!!

Cardboard Senki has been my most anticipated of the new Level 5 games since it was revealed :D And with an English title I feel reasonably confident we may actually see this one in the west, though I'm still utterly dumbfounded at the lack of Inazuma 11.

batbeg

I kind of wish I could have both versions of Cardboard Senki :( Although I hadn't realized the versions were going to differ so drastically; I'd assumed the point of the same-platform releases was that they would fundamentally be the same.

duckroll said:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1226981_1124.html

There are screens of the other ROID games here too, like Ninokuni Hot Roid Stories and Inazuma Eleven Future.

Heh heh. Roid stuff looks nice.

Oh, and, uh...

ab6ova.jpg

Masterful character design.

ethelred

Ninokuni looks absolutely amazing. It really does seem like a Studio Ghibli film in game form, which is so cool -- if it manages to capture the unique magic of the Ghibli movies (it has the visual charm down, at least, and will certainly have the music based on what we found out last night), it could be incredible. I'm glad the game turned out to be a turn-based RPG, also; I was expecting it to be an actiony thing. I'm looking forward to hearing some of the demo impressions.

Cardboard Wars wasn't that interesting to me when it was first announced last year, and it still isn't now. It's very nice looking visually, but... well, someone said earlier it seems like Pokemon with robots. Neither of those are really my thing.

London Life and Fantasy Life look really great -- no question that Brownie Brown is one of the best 2D developers around in Japan these days. As far as anything beyond looks, though... I guess we'll see. Fantasy Life sounds kind of interesting, but I'm not going to get too optimistic until after people try out London Life and report back on how solid the game design is.

I'm glad Ushiro isn't dead, even if it is still developmentally lagging behind their other games from last year. It was the most interesting to me of the two PSP games; it sounds really cool.

Stumpokapow said:
Would you say Nintendo and AQ Interactive develop games together?

His point is worth noting just in that... it is interesting that Nintendo is aiding Level-5 with one of its fully owned subsidiary developers just because it emphasizes the stake they have now in the Layton series' success. The collaboration with AQ Interactive was just plain weird, but we usually see pretty clear cut motives at play in these exchanges -- whether it's Brownie Brown being loaned out to entice Square into put its brands on Nintendo systems, or now Monolithsoft being loaned out to Namco for the same ends. Layton's been a big success for Level-5 and also for Nintendo (in that it's a huge third party hit in Japan, but also because they publish the game abroad and it's done especially well in Europe), so I think a developmental partnership like this just highlights that importance to both sides.

GaussTek said:
Alright, if I understand correctly, London Life is Layton 4 or a different game? Now, those are also different from Fantasy Life, right?

Neither. It's a separate game mode within Layton 4, distinct from the main game mode which is the same as in Layton 1-3.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Neither. It's a separate game mode within Layton 4, distinct from the main game mode which is the same as in Layton 1-3.

To clarify further, it is a game mode which opens up only after you have completed the main story mode in Layton 4.

duckroll

Fantasy Life is a DS game. It says so everywhere, even on Level 5's site. Sprsk was the only one who said the platform was undetermined. I dunno why he said that!

ethelred

Blackbird| said:
For me Fantasy Life is a wii game

It appears to have identical graphics to the other Level-5/Brownie Brown game (not to mention that the gameplay and naming convention also seem to be the same) which is on the DS, and the screens Level-5 released are 256x192 which happens to be the DS resolution.

Yeah, that's a Wii game all right.

duckroll said:
Fantasy Life is a DS game. It says so everywhere, even on Level 5's site.

Also, that.

Sipowicz

Banned
batbeg said:
NO U!!

Cardboard Senki has been my most anticipated of the new Level 5 games since it was revealed :D And with an English title I feel reasonably confident we may actually see this one in the west, though I'm still utterly dumbfounded at the lack of Inazuma 11.

i'm right there with you about inazuma eleven

i still think ninokuni and ushiro look best though. ninokuni is made by studio ghibli and ushiro has ghosts in it

ghosts

wsippel

Banned
batbeg said:
Oh, and, uh...

ab6ova.jpg

Masterful character design.
I actually like Susumu Matsushita. Obviously influenced by Tex Avery. He did quite a few cool artworks for Famitsu, like the No More Heroes 2 cover or this piece:

topics_070417.jpg

The oficial webpage say that they only have 25 employers,working in 3 simultaneos games is like a miracle,a wii game for me is impossible.

soldat7

duckroll said:
Well this is the other game Level 5 and Brownie Brown are making:

*pics*

Which also looks similar!

Gorgeous. And does London Life have anything to do with Layton?

Edit: I guess so!

Takao

Banned
I think Cardboard Senki looks pretty swell. I'm indifferent towards Layton, and Inazuma, the Ghilbi game looks great. I hope it comes over.

batbeg said:
I kind of wish I could have both versions of Cardboard Senki :( Although I hadn't realized the versions were going to differ so drastically; I'd assumed the point of the same-platform releases was that they would fundamentally be the same.

PSP mini
not a chance in hell :(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
duckroll said:
Fantasy Life is a DS game. It says so everywhere, even on Level 5's site. Sprsk was the only one who said the platform was undetermined. I dunno why he said that!

Cause if they said it, I didn't hear it! and it certainly wasn't in the footage they showed!

ethelred

Seeing those screens again... man, London Life and Fantasy Life are so damned cute. :eek: They're so visually charming (full of color and tiny details, meshed with the same clean, simple style of Mother 3) that I can't help but hope the games turn out well. Brownie Brown not doing the game design is a plus (I know some people feel Level-5's design abilities are on the same tier; that's not an assessment I share).

I also think the way they're going about things with these from a publishing standpoint is really interesting. I mean, they could easily sell London Life as a standalone retail product and it'd pull in a few hundred thousand copies, at least, in Japan. Instead they're packing it into Layton 4 for free. I think Level-5 would only do that if they saw an easy ~300-400k sales as having less value than an opportunity to promote their latest brand and ensure Fantasy Life is successful in its own right. Having a very similar game bundled for free with the huge Layton games provides a ton of exposure and the chance to get lots of feedback for making gameplay tweaks. I kind of think they're expecting huge things from these games, and it seems like another example of Hino's canny sense of business and brand management (that is, as long as it works).

Meier

Can a mod update the OP with consolidated information? Or add a link to a post that does that?

Thanks.

p.s. Is that Audrina Patridge in the new Evony ad? :lol

eggandI

Banned
Wow @ Fantasy Live. Had me going there :/

That PSP robot game looks fantastic. The only game I'm looking forward to. I wish Level 5 made more PSP games. Would be awesome to have those Layton games on the PSP.

Shiggy

GaussTek said:
Looking at some of the ROID games, seems to me they have the Mother 3 graphic style too. Is BB helping on those too?

25tgcjs.jpg
2whlgfo.jpg

I don't think that studios in which Nintendo has a stake (aside of Silicon Knights) will be able to produce games for non-Nintendo platforms.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
neo2046 said:
(rumor)
the ending song of Ninokuni that taken at the conference today
Fragment of the heart (sound only) http://zoome.jp/yingzi/diary/1/
Much thanks neo. Certainly sounds like Mai, and one of Hisaishi's typical piano style.

Fun and somewhat meaningless fact: the little girl who sings the lullaby in Nausicaa was Mai.

Sipowicz

Banned
here is a Fantasy Life description i got off another website. sorry if it's old. thanks to andria sang

Fantasy Life

- "slow life RPG"
- takes place in Fantazeal, which is marked by a moon, and we know it as Mars
- a prophet has said that Fantazeal would be snuffed out when Mars is covered by a great shadow, which is exactly what's happening
- not focused on combat
- make your own avatar that allows for name, gender, appearance and 'life' (your job)
- 20 different 'lifes'
- each 'life' offers different 'life quests' that you clear once a day
- accomplish these 'life quests' to see endings for each character
- characters have "Rich" and "Happy" levels
- 'Rich' is your wealth, and 'Happy' is your heart level. The higher your 'Happy' goes, the wider range of people you can talk and interact with.
- game features two continents: Tripochi and Minnade
- Tripochi is where your avatar lives, and others can visit you via local wireless
- Minnade is an area where players can meet up with one another, which allows wifi play

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sounds promising. After gaming for just over 2 decades I'm getting kinda bored of battling the same shit, shooting the same crap, or pressing the same button continually.

Top Bottom