• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've bought four things on Massdrop since first using it last year but the only one that was arguably impulse was those GMK sound dampeners. The others I was shopping around for regardless (new monitor, keycaps to replace the junk ones that came on this keyboard, a new chair since mine broke).

MoogleMan

I've discovered massdrop. How destroyed will my personal finances be?

Depends on what you're looking to buy. The wait can be long sometimes and delays happen. For me personally, the wait isn't worth it.

I did get a keycool rainbow tkl with mx reds for my daughter from massdrop. Not a bad price but the wait was pretty long for that one.

Lum1n3s

I have the Corsair K90 RGB with the rapidfire switches and I have to say my typing has improved considerably because of it. I remember reading something about these type of switches and how they're supposed to increase typing speed among other things since you're not pounding as hard on the keys to get your inputs in? Is this true?

Orayn

I have the Corsair K90 RGB with the rapidfire switches and I have to say my typing has improved considerably because of it. I remember reading something about these type of switches and how they're supposed to increase typing speed among other things since you're not pounding as hard on the keys to get your inputs in? Is this true?

Correct, if you get good at feeling where the keys actuate you can lift up your fingers earlier instead of bottoming out, and that tiny amount of time saved per keystroke can add up.

Renekton

That's interesting, I thought the speedy type switches can cause a lot of fatfinger presses.

MoogleMan

Got my ducky one today and I have to say I'm disappointed.
It's a blue body, blue mx switch, blue led model.

The build quality is fine.
Doubleshot abs keycaps are fine.
The spacebar rattles. Really disappointed with that, but I'll try to fix it with lube. I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new keyboard.
The leds are supposed to be blue, but they're more on the purple end of the spectrum. Not happy about that.

MX blues feel really good to type on. Similar to browns but with the audible click.

I only paid $87 for it, so I'll keep it, but I'll be ordering another ikbc with blues for sure.

edit:
Used it a bit more.
The leds being more purple or even uv looking is really bothersome.
I'm gonna try to lube the spacebar since the case is pretty easy to open.
The cord is very short; around 4 feet, but at least it's detachable.
The case I really like. Simple design, rounded corners and beveled edges.

pmj

I was curious about those Topre clones that are so popular (?) these days so I started opening tabs in my browser to information about the variants, ebay listings, and forum threads. And they stayed there unread for a couple of days, because I'm too lazy to do the research, irritating me with their presence every time I sat down and looked at the browser. So I bought a Plum84 35g and a replacement 55g rubber dome sheet to mod the plum with, just so that I could close the tabs and stop trying to start thinking about whether I actually needed one of these or not.

And I just got it. Modding it was kind of hard due to the dome sheet not being sized for a keyboard this compact, but with some careful cutting and jigsawing I got it done. In hindsight, a plum87 would probably have been a better fit and an easier mod do to.

So... I guess the keyboard feels alright. Good even. But I'm not sure it's enough. It's certainly not the orgasmic typing experience Topre fans wax lyrical about. But then it's not real Topre either. Part of it may come down to it being a bit too quiet for my tastes, I do like my blue switches for a high degree of CLACK CLACK CLACK, and these are more of a dull thock thock thock. And in no way can it, or any other keyboard I'm starting to realize, compete with the ErgoDox layout.

Koren

And in no way can it, or any other keyboard I'm starting to realize, compete with the ErgoDox layout.
There's some tweakings I would do to ergodox layout, but I agree, I can't see a switch make we want to use a staggered keyboard.

Still, I'm not that fond of Blues (they're good, but I would like the actuation point right on top, not midway down) and I'd probably enjoy Topre more (but I'm reluctant to test them if I can't use those on a proper layout).

Still, dream with me:
yZKLKCe.png

Yes, that's an adjustable Topre, welled, near-ergodox project...

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/designing-a-custom-topre-board-t11734.html

Saganator

Got my ducky one today and I have to say I'm disappointed.
It's a blue body, blue mx switch, blue led model.

The build quality is fine.
Doubleshot abs keycaps are fine.
The spacebar rattles. Really disappointed with that, but I'll try to fix it with lube. I shouldn't have to do that with a brand new keyboard.
The leds are supposed to be blue, but they're more on the purple end of the spectrum. Not happy about that.

MX blues feel really good to type on. Similar to browns but with the audible click.

I only paid $87 for it, so I'll keep it, but I'll be ordering another ikbc with blues for sure.

edit:
Used it a bit more.
The leds being more purple or even uv looking is really bothersome.
I'm gonna try to lube the spacebar since the case is pretty easy to open.
The cord is very short; around 4 feet, but at least it's detachable.
The case I really like. Simple design, rounded corners and beveled edges.

I have a Ducky and it's easily my least favorite mechanical keyboard. So far Das Keyboard are the best I've used.

laxu

So... I guess the keyboard feels alright. Good even. But I'm not sure it's enough. It's certainly not the orgasmic typing experience Topre fans wax lyrical about. But then it's not real Topre either. Part of it may come down to it being a bit too quiet for my tastes, I do like my blue switches for a high degree of CLACK CLACK CLACK, and these are more of a dull thock thock thock. And in no way can it, or any other keyboard I'm starting to realize, compete with the ErgoDox layout.

You might just prefer MX switches, so maybe try something like Zealios or MOD-M's on a custom board (I recommend 60-65% size and fully programmable!). To me the low thock of Topre is really pleasant and I'm not as fond of the higher pitch "clack" of MX keys despite my current main keyboards using MX-based keys.

MoogleMan

Trying to find a mechanical keyboard for my Mac Mini. Is Das Keyboard the best choice?

Depends on what you want from a mech keyboard. If you stick to a particular switch type, that will be your first step at making a choice. From there just pick the features you want (rgb leds, pbt keycaps, detachable cable, etc.).

For me, it seems finding a good keyboard that doesn't have stabilized keys that rattle was the biggest challenge.

IIRC das are made in china now.

pmj

Yes, that's an adjustable Topre, welled, near-ergodox project...

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/designing-a-custom-topre-board-t11734.html

Two year old thread about an amazing project, reading along, wondering if it's going to turn out to be a real thing by now, tension rising as the thread catches up to the current day... and nope. Not yet at least, and progress seems very slow.

It's a shame there aren't any ErgoDox-specific keycap profiles being made, as a small amount of welling could be achieved on a flat ErgoDox that way. Certainly not to the extent of this custom keyboard, but far easier and cheaper.

Koren

Two year old thread about an amazing project, reading along, wondering if it's going to turn out to be a real thing by now, tension rising as the thread catches up to the current day... and nope. Not yet at least, and progress seems very slow.
Well, I said "dream"... The best way to make it advance is still workng on it yourself :/

My eyes are on this and Axios, but I also work on mine (although Topre is still making me afraid :( )

It's a shame there aren't any ErgoDox-specific keycap profiles being made, as a small amount of welling could be achieved on a flat ErgoDox that way. Certainly not to the extent of this custom keyboard, but far easier and cheaper.
I'm not sure keycaps, that doesn't change the switch direction of action, are a good solution for wells. Keyboard.io has nice caps, but I'd miss the 5th row.

I think Ergodox is already bad in some places (1.5 on pinkies are bad, they're bad when pressed off-center, for example)

pmj

Well, I said "dream"... The best way to make it advance is still workng on it yourself :/

My eyes are on this and Axios, but I also work on mine (although Topre is still making me afraid :( )

I'm not sure keycaps, that doesn't change the switch direction of action, are a good solution for wells. Keyboard.io has nice caps, but I'd miss the 5th row.

I think Ergodox is already bad in some places (1.5 on pinkies are bad, they're bad when pressed off-center, for example)

I'm sure you're right about it not being ideal, I just figured something simple could be done, as regular profiles are already tilted, and whenever you have to stretch to hit a key, you hit the key at an angle, regardless of profile.

The Axios looks very interesting with the lowered thumb section and what could be used as a arrow key clusters. And more keys would always be nice. I'll have to keep an eye on that one, assuming the project is alive? A page about it I found is from 2014.

Koren

The Axios looks very interesting with the lowered thumb section and what could be used as a arrow key clusters. And more keys would always be nice. I'll have to keep an eye on that one, assuming the project is alive? A page about it I found is from 2014.
The project is indeed alive, though painfully slow to people interested in it. The guy behind it is really nice, but definitively want to get everything right with v1... He has probably built three dozen of prototypes at least.

He avoids discussing things online, currently, so sometimes it's 5-10 months silence, but his last post is one or two months old.

Not sure it'll go through, but there's a chance, and most problems have found à solutin apparently. Fingers crossed.

Elite Keyboards finally restocked on the Topre I wanted, so I ordered one up and received it today.

This thing is an absolute dream to type on, I love it.

As a bit of an experiment, I grabbed a cheapo, non brand mechanical keyboard with blue (non genuine) switches, before committing to something more expensive. I'm coding with it and it feels pretty good, although I am unsure about actually using it for gaming. I am so used to membranes (I've used a Logitech G510 for the last 6 years until it died last saturday) that I kinda like the mushiness.

What worries me is the noise. After two hours of intermittent typing I asked my coworkers next to me if they were annoyed by the noise level (This is for home but today I'm testing it at the office today). And the answer is "We are ok with it. We are far more annoyed by people who are much noisier at a bigger distance because of how hard they hit their (membrane) keyboards)".

laxu

As a bit of an experiment, I grabbed a cheapo, non brand mechanical keyboard with blue (non genuine) switches, before committing to something more expensive. I'm coding with it and it feels pretty good, although I am unsure about actually using it for gaming. I am so used to membranes (I've used a Logitech G510 for the last 6 years until it died last saturday) that I kinda like the mushiness.

What worries me is the noise. After two hours of intermittent typing I asked my coworkers next to me if they were annoyed by the noise level (This is for home but today I'm testing it at the office today). And the answer is "We are ok with it. We are far more annoyed by people who are much noisier at a bigger distance because of how hard they hit their (membrane) keyboards)".

You basically picked the worst option for noise. Blue switches are notoriously the noisiest MX type. I'd probably put linear switches as the second worst because people tend to bottom out hard on them. Keycap thickness also makes a difference in the sound and if yours has cheap, thin keycaps they can sound higher pitched too. You can use O-rings to silence the keys to a degree but they will also make them a bit mushier feeling. Who knows, you might actually like them that way. When it comes to noise, Topre keyboards are by far the best as they have a low "thock" sound to them.

You basically picked the worst option for noise. Blue switches are notoriously the noisiest MX type. I'd probably put linear switches as the second worst because people tend to bottom out hard on them. Keycap thickness also makes a difference in the sound and if yours has cheap, thin keycaps they can sound higher pitched too. You can use O-rings to silence the keys to a degree but they will also make them a bit mushier feeling. Who knows, you might actually like them that way. When it comes to noise, Topre keyboards are by far the best as they have a low "thock" sound to them.

Even like that, it's miles better than the generic dell keyboard I was given. I may get something with MX Brown switches in a future when I have more disposable cash. I was leaning towards a Corsair keyboard, although who knows if you are paying more for being a bit of a "gaming" brand.

Edit: Switch seems to be an "outemu". A noisier clone of the mx blue, from what they say.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really like my clears, they are great for noise. Very quiet when I'm typing well on them, since the tactile bump is so pronounced (way more than browns) and they require a bit more force.

Doesn't help when I'm lazy and bottoming out, will probably be a while before I fully get used to the feel after decades of rubber domes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I just got the Corsair K70 Lux (Amazon Prime Day sale). I am in love with this thing. Aside from the colors which is just a nice t- have thing, the feel of the keys and the press is a lovely thing, something I hadn't experienced in a long, long time. I can actually type faster with this thing. I am getting used to the size of each key but so far this has been a really wonderful thing. This is the real deal goddammit. Itching to get programming with this thing :)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I spilled wine all over my Quick Fire tenkeyless board so I rushed out and picked up a Logitech G610. The Quick Fire had blue switches, and the G610 has brown. I liked the blue switches, but always found them just slightly annoying to my ears. The feel was great, but the sound was not. These browns are pretty amazing though. Very soft and pleasing to type on and listen to. Wish I had bought a board with brown switches earlier. As for the board itself. It's pretty hefty and the quality is great. It's a little longer with the keypad, but I think I'll get used to it.

1morerobot

GF got me a Cherry MX Board 6.0 for my birthday.

I really like it, all except the spacebar. Something about the angle it is at that just doesn't feel very comfortable on my thumb. :(

Also do not like the red backlighting that much. It can be adjusted down to 1% brightness which is very impressive, and the other options the board has are pretty nice as well, but I think I will return it. The spacebar is bugging the shit out of me and if I'm going to have a backlit keyboard I really want to have a white (or RGB though I wouldn't use it as much) option, not just red.

Build quality is awesome. This thing is sturdy as hell and quite heavy, especially considering it's really compact size.

Orayn

GF got me a Cherry MX Board 6.0 for my birthday.

I really like it, all except the spacebar. Something about the angle it is at that just doesn't feel very comfortable on my thumb. :(

Also do not like the red backlighting that much. It can be adjusted down to 1% brightness which is very impressive, and the other options the board has are pretty nice as well, but I think I will return it. The spacebar is bugging the shit out of me and if I'm going to have a backlit keyboard I really want to have a white (or RGB though I wouldn't use it as much) option, not just red.

Build quality is awesome. This thing is sturdy as hell and quite heavy, especially considering it's really compact size.

Depending on how it's mounted, you could potentially flip your spacebar. There's are some people who prefer it that way.

Tripon

Even like that, it's miles better than the generic dell keyboard I was given. I may get something with MX Brown switches in a future when I have more disposable cash. I was leaning towards a Corsair keyboard, although who knows if you are paying more for being a bit of a "gaming" brand.

Edit: Switch seems to be an "outemu". A noisier clone of the mx blue, from what they say.

How much is your budget for a new keyboard? Do you care about backlighting or not? Do you care about the keys feel, or the font?

If it's a keyboard for the office, I'd suggest a Cherry MX Brown. Browns are quieter and still give that tactile feel. There's a Cooler Master Master Keys S or L series (The S stands for their tenkeyless version, and the L is the full size). That they're selling for $79.99 for the S version, and $89.99 for the L version. There is no backlighting though.

I'm using the Master Keys L version with Cherry MX Blues as my current work keyboard and loving it. I might finally stop keyboard switching for a while. Since it's PBT keycaps, I find it nicer to type on, since the keycaps haven't been smoothed out due to the oils on your fingers after longer use.

But if you like backlighting, you should look at a different keyboard, or another version that does come with backlighting, but comes with ABS keycaps, both in white and RGB backlighting.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...aps&field-keywords=cooler+master+keyboard+pbt

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Master Keys M is pretty neat too. It puts the arrow keys and delete, home, end, etc on the number pad and is toggled by numlock. Almost like a TKL-sized board but without actually sacrificing the number pad.

Blam

Only thing I bought on Massdrop was this Mech Keyboard which is the Team Wolf Zhuque+ RGB.

It's pretty nice tbh.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Thinking about getting a FC980C, but it seems like mk.com jacked up the prices a bit. Pretty sure it used to be cheaper.

laxu

You can take any manufacturer known for things other than keyboards and get basically the same quality keyboard: most cost spent on RGB LEDs instead of good quality keycaps or case. While they are unlikely to break on you, they won't be anything resembling high quality either.

uniform

I just got the Corsair K70 Lux (Amazon Prime Day sale).

I too purchased the K70 Lux with brown switches on prime day as my first mechanical keyboard. I wasn't ready for how much I'd love it. Good build quality, easy to clean, and just feels great to type. My one nitpick is its cap font.

brawly

Got a Turtle Beach Impact 500 today. Fucking bargain at that price.

Only my second mechanical keyboard, had a Steelseries 6Gv2 before, but I think I like this one more. Clicky blue cherry keys are dope.

petran79

Banned
Had a Logitech G500 mushy keyboard. Reliable, except Windows key stuck forever after turning Game mode switch. I'll keep it for laptop.

Replaced it with a Razer Ultimate x Chroma one. A little expensive but I like the keys feeling. Logitech had far too many keys for the games I use.

Pretty solid keyboard so far. Hope I dont get any unresponsive keys as long as the warranty lasts. Unofficial Linux drivers are also a bonus.

How much is your budget for a new keyboard? Do you care about backlighting or not? Do you care about the keys feel, or the font?

If it's a keyboard for the office, I'd suggest a Cherry MX Brown. Browns are quieter and still give that tactile feel. There's a Cooler Master Master Keys S or L series (The S stands for their tenkeyless version, and the L is the full size). That they're selling for $79.99 for the S version, and $89.99 for the L version. There is no backlighting though.

I'm using the Master Keys L version with Cherry MX Blues as my current work keyboard and loving it. I might finally stop keyboard switching for a while. Since it's PBT keycaps, I find it nicer to type on, since the keycaps haven't been smoothed out due to the oils on your fingers after longer use.

But if you like backlighting, you should look at a different keyboard, or another version that does come with backlighting, but comes with ABS keycaps, both in white and RGB backlighting.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...aps&field-keywords=cooler+master+keyboard+pbt

Definitely, I'm in love after one week with blues. The problem is that the noise won't cut it for the office, so I need the next best thing minus the noise. Brown, it is? it is a keyboard for the office, so backlight is not needed, but a keypad is. The budget is not very big, tbh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely, I'm in love after one week with blues. The problem is that the noise won't cut it for the office, so I need the next best thing minus the noise. Brown, it is? it is a keyboard for the office, so backlight is not needed, but a keypad is. The budget is not very big, tbh.

Brown is significantly less tactile IMO. It's very subtle, so if you're expecting it to be like blue but without the click you might be disappointed. They feel a lot closer to reds than blues, at least to me.

Clears are more tactile (but probably out of your price range) but even they don't really feel like blues. There might be a non-Cherry option that's even cheaper, for example I think I've read Gateron browns are smoother and more tactile than Cherry.

dcx4610

I have a Corsair K70 with brown switches and I'm not really happy with it. I came from a Logitech keyboard with Romer keys and didn't like those either..

The K70 with browns feel kinda mushy to me and bottom out super easy. It just doesn't feel all that great to type or game on. I tried green keys on a Razer board and I really liked the clicky feel but I don't really care for any of their boards.

Based on that, what type of keys or boards should I be looking at? I've heard blue switches are similar to Razer's greens and are clicky but I've never got to try one and it seems like (with Corsair at least), blue switches aren't common.

Any other clicky options out there?

Max_Po

Banned
Any one has any experience with Vortex stuff...

I just got a mechanical keyboard... shittty one from "TeamWolf 87" .... returning this and getting a Vortex Race 3 with Cherry MX Blue........

Dammed I am not sure how I lived without these mechanical keyboards.....

"Any one has any experience with Vortex stuff..."

I don't have one, but Vortex is probably one of the most well regarded mechanical manufacturers out there. Their Poker series boards in particular are extremely popular.

Tripon

I found a Logitech 710+ Brown at Walmart on clearance for $25. Is this one any good or should I sell it and get something better?

That's a good deal. You can always repurpose as a work keyboard or gift it away when you want to upgrade to something fits more of your style.

Any one has any experience with Vortex stuff...

I just got a mechanical keyboard... shittty one from "TeamWolf 87" .... returning this and getting a Vortex Race 3 with Cherry MX Blue........

Dammed I am not sure how I lived without these mechanical keyboards.....

Got the New Poker II from Vortex/iKBC. Fantastic little thing, and it's has a detachable USB-C cable so I use it on my smartphone when I'm sitting down at a desk.

Top Bottom