• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Review Thread

Larkoz

If the prequel is a success, great, but please, don't be too greedy Squenix. Dontnod should handle their IP by themselves.

I'm so thrilled to hear it's turned out well! I'd had my concerns, with the different studio and no Ash Burch.

Now do I get the regular edition or the deluxe with the fourth episode for like 50% more...

Sendero

they paint Max as a total asshole through unread texts and Chloe's personal journal.
But she is, though. Max dialogue and inner thoughts (including the journal) on the original game said as much.

That's why she wasn't fully looking forward to meet Chloe.
It's a critical element on the story, and how it ends. A chance to making amends of their past and being together.. one last time.

But she is, though. Max dialogue and inner thoughts (including the journal) on the original game said as much.

That's why she wasn't fully looking forward to meet Chloe.
It's a critical element on the story, and how it ends. A chance to making amends of their past and being together.. one last time.

To the degree that I posted in the follow up response above? Like I said there, totally could be remembering the degree to which she ditched her (haven't played since I 100%'d the cheevos back in 2015) but it seems to be stretched quite a ways here. On top of her missing Max so much she creates a fake Max to talk to.

Sendero

So idk. I don't want to watch/listen to his review because of the spoilers.
I switched tabs, to just hear his review. His 2 main problems are:

*Unpolished animations/textures. Some characters apparently look a bit too different from the original. Probably exacerbated due to the transition to a new engine.

*The writing, specially the one used on Chloe's dialog "confrontations" with other characters.

Apparently, there are also some random performance slowdowns. So, perhaps would be a good idea to wait for the first batch of fixes.

carlsojo

*Unpolished animations/textures. Some characters apparently look a bit too different from the original. Probably exacerbated due to the transition to a new engine.

*The writing, specially the one used on Chloe's dialog "confrontations" with other characters.

Apparently, there are also some random performance slowdowns. So, perhaps would be a good idea to wait for the first batch of fixes.

That's weird, because to me the animations look great. Especially Chloe's.

Megatron

You should watch the review.

I think it deftly analyses the most important aspects of the franchise, contrasting against the brightest qualities of the original.

Sounds like it just doesn't measure up. Like at all.

That's okay though. They caught lightning in a bottle with OG LiS, and I'm cool with just leaving it at that. Much like I'd have little interest playing Gone Home 2.

Still rocking the Soundtrack from the original on my phone. It's such a touchstone moment in gaming.

This isn't even Life is Strange 2 though. It's a prequel made by a different dev. I never expected this to measure up. It doesn't mean it can't be worth playing.

NeoRaider

Well, i just started my game on Steam few minutes ago, and i was in little shock when i saw "Unity" logo instead of UE. I am really surprised because first game was done using UE3. I know that this one is not made by Dontnod but why did they pick Unity??
I can totally understand that being a "-" for him.

About the writing... well it wasn't really the best part of original LiS too, but i will have to play BtS then comment on that.

But this doesn't sound like "everything about the episode is shit" to me...

chadskin

Performance on PS4 Pro was super solid for me and just on a technical level I thought it was a much more polished game than the original at the time. *shrugs

Sendero

To the degree that I posted in the follow up response above? Like I said there, totally could be remembering the degree to which she ditched her (haven't played since I 100%'d the cheevos back in 2015) but it seems to be stretched quite a ways here. On top of her missing Max so much she creates a fake Max to talk to.
Chloe's thing on the original, was blaming everyone else for her own failings. And she straight up pointed fingers to Max in one of the cutscenes, for all her past problems.

So, it sounds sort of consistent but, yeah, it really depends on how it's presented. Haven't played the new one yet, so I will keep an eye on it.

But this doesn't sound like "everything about the episode is shit" to me...
There is a review section for Music+Sounds+Voice acting, and he highly praised the 2 first, but trashed the last one. Then, proceed to qualify that whole section as disappointing. So, the final assessment is sort of misleading.

jamsy

Do we know when the other episodes are due?

I was a huge fan of Life is Strange, but I can't wait months and months between episodes, so I'm just gonna wait until they're all out.

Chloe's thing on the original, was blaming everyone else for her own failings. And she straight up pointed fingers to Max in one of the cutscenes, for all her past problems.

So, it sounds sort of consistent but, yeah, it really depends on how it's presented. Haven't played the new one yet, so I will keep an eye on it.

Hoping to see your reaction to it in the OT when you do play it! I do recall her blaming Max (and everyone else) for her own failings but the game certainly paints the relationship as unhealthily obsessive to an extreme that doesn't fit even Chloe.

Excited to jump back in and see more of the episode, especially how the episode concludes/where we go from here. This Chloe feels nearly identical to the one in the original title minus blue hair and Hella
yes, they have a justification with it that'll either make you laugh or cringe
so it'll be interesting to see what they do to keep it dynamic.

King_Moc

Banned
Good review from Metro. I'm starting this later tonight and am hella hyped. The original only failed to be my GOTY 2015 because it was unfortunate enough to release in the same year as Bloodborne.

epmode

Wait, this is a Unity game now? The last one was Unreal, right? It's very easy to get rid of that awful chromatic aberration in UE games but I have no idea how to do it in Unity.

I guess I should actually play the game to see how bad the effect is in the new engine since the graphics options aren't very detailed.

edit: Goddamn, the logos and intro stuff take FOREVER. Skip into option pls.
edit edit: And my resolution option isn't being saved after exiting the game.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Man. Better than I thought, but I still don't like the decision to recast Chloe. I'd feel guilty supporting that.

Quick edit: I'm glad the game is good don't get me wrong.

Voice Actors Union needs to drop the demand for royalties and come back to the table.

They can return to that issue. They were ostensibly striking for safety considerations but everyone knows which is the albatross, and in the meantime the strike drags on and the safety issues are not addressed.

A good watch for some info on the strike.

Voice Actors Union needs to drop the demand for royalties and come back to the table.

They can return to that issue. They were ostensibly striking for safety considerations but everyone knows which is the albatross, and in the meantime the strike drags on and the safety issues are not addressed.

Film actors get royalties, why not video game actors? If the strike ends without this fundamental point being addressed, it will never be addressed. The videogame industry is extremely shitty to its workers - the publishers need to be broken.

Sadly I won't be playing in order to support the strike.

Which is why I'm in this boat.

MTC100

Banned
consider me surprised, I expected a train wreck but it seems to be rather good at around 8/10 on average. I will, like with lis, wait until the game is finished before playing it. Don't like to play episodes, or rather the waiting in between them...

CSJ

I'll pick this up when all the episodes are released.

I'm debating this, I jumped in on LIS when EP3 came out and sort of glad I did, the wait was tough! Also this is a short game, but waiting for it all to be out could be a 9hr+ game that I'd save for a weekend off work.

But LIS is one of my top games, eeeeeee!

Karak

Hmm, ACG thought almost everything about it was shit.

I'll wait until all episodes are out, and see how it fares. I hate the idea of committing to something that doesn't stick the landing, that will just piss me off. It's not like I need another game to play right now anyway.

But each to their own of course. Just because I didn't like it as I said in the review for some it might be there thing. For me, it was less in every way, from the original, and one of the hardest to get through games I have played in years and just a complete disappointment.

Eylos

Banned
tumblr_nlhb5wDHNF1tww24po1_500.gif

BOO-yah! amazeballs

Top Bottom