• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm | Review Thread

Pretty much as expected, not as good as the original but still seems decent. Gonna wait for all the episodes, so I can play it all in one go.

FaintDeftone

Great to see positive reviews. I think I'm going to wait until the whole thing comes out so I can binge it and not have to wait so long between episodes.

benzopil

RPS liked it
With two episodes left to go it’s impossible to say whether Before The Storm can rise to the challenge but despite some clunkiness it has real promise. The presence of familiar faces hasn’t felt too forced or heavy handed which I’d been worried about, and Chloe without Max is a sympathetic messy ball of anger and sadness. The original game and how Rachel Amber’s story played out will affect how those familiar with it read some of what she says and does, but not in a bad way. So far at least. It’s hard to judge the story after just one episode.

Reedirect

Good to see it's getting good reviews!

I didn't think the first episode was as stellar as anything from LiS, but it seems like a worthy companion to the original. Deck Nine are really doing an admirable job so far, although they lack a little bit of Dontnod's style and unique touch for cinematic sequences.

I had a number if issues with Chloe's lines cutting off a bit early when using the "Look" function on objects. Otherwise performance was really good on PS4 Pro and I loved the episode. New VA for Chloe fits in well and I almost like her more than Ashley.

Persona7

Banned
So the only way to play the Max episode is to spring for the $25 version? :/

PSN has an upgrade option for $9.99 with the extra episode, costumes and mixtape mode or whatever it is called. I guess this is for people who don't buy the deluxe edition or buy single episodes.

benzopil

Game Informer -- 8

The emotional pull is strong, and the story's strength is its relatability. This first episode has me intrigued at how Chloe and Rachel Amber will make it through their distress, and it also has me rooting for them.

Windows Central -- 4.5/5
The first episode of Life is Strange: Before the Storm is a dark, emotional first chapter of Chloe's past. Supported by fitting music, a beautiful art style, and solid gameplay, Before the Storm's introductory episode writes a phenomenal story that powers through its issues and delivers a heart-wrenching narrative that left me craving more.

Those are some surprisingly high scores. Original is one of my favorites of recent years but didn't have high hopes for this prequel. I guess I should now actually consider playing this.

Tall Paul

Good to see the scores, really enjoyed the original game & for the price this looks a good punt on the 1-3 episodes so downloading now, think it has some 1X improvements when that ships as well.

Indelible

I will pick this up on PC when all of the episodes are released. Even if it dosen't reach the highs of Life is Strange, I'am sure I will get enjoyment out of it.

carlsojo

Pretty much as expected, not as good as the original but still seems decent. Gonna wait for all the episodes, so I can play it all in one go.

It's hard to say if it's better than the original without the other episodes available to play and being able to see how it plays out.

I can definitely say that for me episode 1 of Before the Storm is significantly improved on episode 1 of Life is Strange in pretty much every way.

No OT for this game?

Seriously, I need to talk about this game lol

snap

Banned
anyone know if the cdkey listing is the deluxe edition or just the full season? it's listed as normal price $27, discounted to $16 which would imply it's either more expensive than on the US Steam or cheaper after discount if it's the deluxe edition. The listing doesn't seem to mention the deluxe edition extras and uses the normal box art, though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
No OT for this game?

There is, but it's a spoiler thread. Just posted my impressions there. Anyone who enjoyed LiS should feel at home here, some of the convos between Rachel and Chloe are very well done. It also shows that the series doesn't need the time travel gimmick to be interesting. Without the supernatural stuff it's even more grounded. It's basically about two people getting to know each other, it's great that we can have games that are purely focused on that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is the 16.99 on Steam just for episode 1?

It's 16.99 for three episodes (you'll get 2 and 3 when they release) or 24.99 for the three episodes + bonus behind the scenes stuff + bonus epilogue episode.

If you only want the three episodes, it's cheaper on Newegg with the code EMCRJDB43 ($13.99) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832166278 -- You'll get a Steam key so it's the same as buying on Steam.

Please note that the game has Denuvo for some reason so you get the great experience of shitty and odious DRM no matter where you buy it! Yay!

I'm probably about halfway through the episode and I'm digging it right now. Friend finished the episode last night and feels the same. Guess that can change for the better or worse as new episodes hit. But looks good so far imo.

It's 16.99 for three episodes (you'll get 2 and 3 when they release) or 24.99 for the three episodes + bonus behind the scenes stuff + bonus epilogue episode.

If you only want the three episodes, it's cheaper on Newegg with the code EMCRJDB43 ($13.99) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832166278 -- You'll get a Steam key so it's the same as buying on Steam.

Please note that the game has Denuvo for some reason so you get the great experience of shitty and odious DRM no matter where you buy it! Yay!

just went out of stock :-(

Ravelle

I believe they go for whatever is popular at the moment.

DIBQm-KXcAAWeJm.jpg

DH7RRSJV0AAHS4o.jpg

DH2p_DYUMAAUtaN.jpg

DFlYqpjXcAAUHg8.jpg

I hope the music is great, LiS had some really great music.

Soundtrack is great so far.
My post from spoiler thread with tracks, if anyone wants to check them out.
Daughter are doing the official OST which came out today, Music from Before the Storm.

5 songs/artists
"Are you ready for this" Pretty Vicious
"No Below" Speedy Ortiz
"Through the Cellar Door" Lanterns on the Lake
"Departure" Daughter
"Dreams of William" Daughter

Not on mixtape.
Intro track "Right way around" Daughter
End scene track "Flaws" Daughter
End credits track "Glass" Daughter

I loved it. It was actually better than I was expecting it to be:

Deck Nine Games has gracefully hurdled the obstacles in its way, with a rip-roaring episode that pulls back the curtain on Rachel Amber and begins a chain of events that we can’t wait to watch unwind. Life Is Strange: Before the Storm recaptures the spirit of the first season, but by framing the story around fan favourite Chloe Price, it has a much more rebellious vibe. And while that means there’s still plenty of cringe to work through, Episode 1: Awake pitches the moments that matter perfectly – we can’t wait to see what happens next.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/life_is_strange_before_the_storm_-_episode_1_awake

From what I remember of the original, each episode was pretty consistently 2 months. SInce this is a miniseries it might be quicker though?

It was consistent until the final episode which took a ridiculous 3 months to come out and was also the smallest episode.

King_Moc

Banned
Soundtrack is great so far.
My post from spoiler thread with tracks, if anyone wants to check them out.
Daughter are doing the official OST which came out today, Music from Before the Storm.

5 songs/artists
"Are you ready for this" Pretty Vicious
"No Below" Speedy Ortiz
"Through the Cellar Door" Lanterns on the Lake
"Departure" Daughter
"Dreams of William" Daughter

Not on mixtape.
Intro track "Right way around" Daughter
End scene track "Flaws" Daughter
End credits track "Glass" Daughter

Lanterns on the Lake? Wow, that's awesome. They're very fitting, but also pretty damn obscure.

This is nice to see but I'm still on the edge because of Chloe.

Getting to the end of Life is Strange and finding out I was supposed to like and feel attached to Chloe was one of the most shocking moments in gaming for me.

I thought it was ok, but I kept going back and forth screaming either "Foreshadowing!" or "Get your shit together, Chloe!" at the screen.

I thought the opening section was almost laughably awful in parts (in a so bad it's good way...), mainly a couple of hilariously shit new characters, but I warmed to this very quickly after getting through that.

I adore the music in this game, even more than the original LiS soundtrack.

Loving the game itself, it feels very authentic to me despite being made by different developers.

Really taking my time to appreciate every little detail, reading everything there is to read, and enjoying it a lot so far.

Anyone know if there is chapter select? I want to redo a choice towards the end but don't want to restart the whole episode... I know there is collector mode but it said choices don't get saved in that.

As I said in the spoiler thread, I found out why there hasn't been an OT.

No one claimed it in the OT thread. Meaning one wasn't forthcoming.

So if no one has a problem, I can pull together a bare bones one for now? I've just put my name down for it in the OT thread in Community.

As I said in the spoiler thread, I found out why there hasn't been an OT.

No one claimed it in the OT thread. Meaning one wasn't forthcoming.

So if no one has a problem, I can pull together a bare bones one for now? I've just put my name down for it in the OT thread in Community.

Barebones will be far better for anyone who's undecided than the spoiler thread, good job grabbing the OT.

Top Bottom