• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII screenshots and extended Jump Festa trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-Unlike FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where to stagger an enemy all you had to do was fill up an enemy's chain gauge, this time you have to fulfill a bunch of other conditions besides that.
Just as expected! Sounds great!
-This time there are no QTEs.
Booo :(!
-Lightning's growth is tied to completing the quests you get from people in-game. From battles you get components to make new equipment and points to alter the amount of availiable time before the end.
Exciting :D!

Stark

Banned
Interesting that there's a unique concept tied to each continent. And my guess was wrong then, she's not a shop at all. At least we have various shops like I thought. :p

Nice to know Chocobo's are in, but a bit sad QTE's won't be. They were kinda fun in XIII-2 and weren't overly used. I might be alone on that one though.

So some sort of synthesis is tied to leveling? I hope they do it right, but I have faith considering they seem to be aware, lol.

Mario007

I'm all about giving credit where credit is due. I would say Square Enix is a great company as a whole, for what they have done with Eidos and their work in general as a publisher. Quite a few awesome games have come from their decisions.

I know publishers have some influence over the development of a game, but history dictates that the influence is commonly negative.

If you want me to be more specific, I would say Square Enix's mainline titles that are internally developed with limited external influence are disappointing.

To be fair there is a difference between just funding and publishing Just Cause 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution. All Eidos studios are basically owned by SE and are pretty much as much SE as the Japanese or Osaka teams.

The full interview has been posted online on Famitsu.com: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/29026849.html what we had before were basically the key points as interpreted by the people who leak the magazine and there are some new things...
-Chocolina is in the game to support the player but in a different role than the one she had in FFXIII-2.
-While Lightning's FFXIII-2 outfit was designed by Kamikokuryo, the new one is by Tetsuya Nomura. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white present in Lightning's FFXIII outift, and using that as a base the new one was born.
-In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.
-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze. That's because while the "crystal myth" involves many gods, out of the ones that are concerned in the "Lightning Saga", Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't made an appearance.
-The people of Luxerion quietly await the end, however, a bunch of serial murders start happening, these are apparently committed by a group of people who oppose Bhunivelze's creed.
-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.
-While people know the world is coming to end, they don't know only 13 days remain.
-Chocobos are still in and you still can ride them.
-Unlike FFXIII and FFXIII-2 where to stagger an enemy all you had to do was fill up an enemy's chain gauge, this time you have to fulfill a bunch of other conditions besides that.
-New equipment can be bought from the various vendors in the game, or made if you have the right components.
-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.
-Lightning's growth is tied to completing the quests you get from people in-game. From battles you get components to make new equipment and points to alter the amount of availiable time before the end.

Also, about the game's length I'm not sure what Toriyama is saying here:

Man the story stuff sounds comletely retarded. So first Lightning's fighting the fal'cie, ie the gods. Then she serves Etro for no apparent explanation at all, the she fails and suddenly serves Bhunivelze for no apparent reason.

Also Bhunivelze just suddenly existing in the lore of the world when he wasn't mentioned at all before (same with Etro in FFXIII-2) is just straight up Toriyama level of 'lol, it happens because I said so'.

Also the Bleach comparisons from earlier in the thread seems to be true.

Having said that on the gameplay side, it sounds pretty interesting, kinda like what Fortress wanted to do to FFXII. It seems basically to be a mix between a JRPG and WRPG and that seems quite novel. Having said that, with the little time the team has and with Toriyama's vision this interesting concept will end up not being fulfilled at all.

Stark

Banned
Etro has been in the lore of XIII, lol. What are you talking about? Bhunivelzei is part of the whole FNC. So it's not surprising using him considering he's part of the myth.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
you would love that game if Lighting would be in it we got it. Xenoblade shits on SE this gen.

No QTEs is fantastic.

While I generally shit on current SE, I thought both Tactics Ogre and Dissidia Duodecim were better than Xenoblade.
Also, Bleach > FFXIII series. You guys even read the new arc?

Toth

The full interview has been posted online on Famitsu.com: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/29026849.html what we had before were basically the key points as interpreted by the people who leak the magazine and there are some new things...
-Chocolina is in the game to support the player but in a different role than the one she had in FFXIII-2.
-While Lightning's FFXIII-2 outfit was designed by Kamikokuryo, the new one is by Tetsuya Nomura. Toriyama wanted to emphasize the red and white present in Lightning's FFXIII outift, and using that as a base the new one was born.
-In this game, once the game begins the world ends in 13 days, but coinciding with its end is also the birth of a new world. Lightning's task as a "liberator/releaser of souls" is to guide them to the new world.
-Lightning's clothes are the clothes of a soul liberator, and the clothes and task are given by Bhunivelze. That's because while the "crystal myth" involves many gods, out of the ones that are concerned in the "Lightning Saga", Bhunivelze is the only one who hasn't made an appearance.
-The people of Luxerion quietly await the end, however, a bunch of serial murders start happening, these are apparently committed by a group of people who oppose Bhunivelze's creed.
-As previously stated, each of the game's four continents has its own concept associated with it. Luxerion's is "murder", because they wanted it to have a mystery component aimed at slightly more mature audiences.
-While people know the world is coming to end, they don't know only 13 days remain.
-New equipment can be bought from the various vendors in the game, or made if you have the right components.
-Apparently "decorations" like the sunglasses Lightning is seen with in the latest trailer are in the game.

Woah, wait a minute. Bhunivelze is guiding Lightning??? I always pegged him for the big bad of the universe, as his selfish actions resulted in the mess we are in. I was wondering if he was still sleeping and I guess that answers that. Plus, he would probably be the only one who could wake Lightning up...though it does make me wonder where Lindzei fits in all of this. So maybe he finally realized that his mother was right and he is fearful Chaos is going to destroy him so he turns to the only one who has Etro's power to save his fading world and himself. Sounds VERY interesting.

Back massages.

Nomura didn't want to bother with more than two colors. Five minutes. On a bar cocktail napkin.

Pave the way for Lightning Returns 2.
Deal with it.

Oh, you mean the gods you assholes didn't bother properly explaining in FFXIII? I don't know who/which/what has made an appearance and who hasn't at this point. They could make up any nonsense name at this point and I'd just nod and say "ok".

Stealth/trailing missions AHOY! What in the actual fuck is going on with this game?

I've always wanted a 'murder mystery' Final Fantasy game. Anyone else?

Well yeah. Obviously.

Can't wait for the Crazy Chocobo rapcar remix.

But I thought they were trying to get FF to relate more to a Western audience?

Great feature. You'd almost think this was an RPG with such mindboggling gameplay additions such as this.

:|

Allow me to translate:
"Game length is not important. The time you spend with Lightning is timeless, like a pearl in a seashell sitting in the ocean. You cannot put a price or time length on something so special."

Toth

Jolly, Bhunivelve is the 'Creator' in the original FF13. He has also been mentioned in the datalogs of both 13 and 13-2. He just was not as important to the actual story of the 13 universe until the world in 13-2 started to collapse.

Also, this game is very much an RPG. The customization looks rather deep.

Jeels

Woah, wait a minute. Bhunivelze is guiding Lightning??? I always pegged him for the big bad of the universe, as his selfish actions resulted in the mess we are in.

There has never been any consistency with how these characters relate to the gods going all the way back to XIII. It is complete and utter nonsense.

Interview tidbits sound really bad. Going back to XIII-2 interviews, I now know how to take these points and interpret the final product.

Goli

Jolly, Bhunivelve is the 'Creator' in the original FF13. He has also been mentioned in the datalogs of both 13 and 13-2. He just was not as important to the actual story of the 13 universe until the world in 13-2 started to collapse.

Also, this game is very much an RPG. The customization looks rather deep.

In the interview Abe mentions that the game's pretty much half action game half RPG.

Toth

There has never been any consistency with how these characters relate to the gods going all the way back to XIII.

Interview tidbits sound really bad. Going back to XIII-2 interviews, I now know how to take these points and interpret the final product.

Not true Jeels. Etro, I agree, was not a very smart goddess, despite being the mother of humanity and only that was by proxy. All we know about Bhuny was that he usurped his mother, created the Fal' Cie to find a way into the unseen realm to find her and stop the Chaos, and went to sleep until the way was found. Oh, and that he feared death and the end of the world. I makes a lot of sense now how Lightning was woken up. Etro is dead so that would only leave him or Lindzei to save their world, although I still think Bhunivelve's motivation will be for himself and not for the souls of the people.

Dang, I really want him to be the final boss!

That's what frustrates me, Toth.
The groundwork for a fantastic history/mythology was set down with FFXIII; hell, might be one of the richest mythologies in a console game I've ever seen... on paper.

I just hate that it was all pushed away into datalogs. That just makes me believe Toriyama and Watanabe didn't think it was important enough to spend any legitimate time on explaining.
As I've said before, would it have been so hard for them to make some kind of animation in-game that could have explained all of this?

Like this:

mqdefault.jpg

FFXIII was just undercooked when it came to all of the story/history potential and now it feels like the designers expect the audience to go back and do homework just to be able to follow the intricacies of the mythology in the sequels.
I don't like how they've done this and I sure as hell hope this isn't a trend that continues with future FFs.

Toth

That's what frustrates me, Toth.
The groundwork for a fantastic history/mythology was set down with FFXIII; hell, might be one of the richest mythologies in a console game I've ever seen... on paper.

I just hate that it was all pushed away into datalogs. That just makes me believe Toriyama and Watanabe didn't think it was important enough to spend any legitimate time on explaining.
As I've said before, would it have been so hard for them to make some kind of animation in-game that could have explained all of this?

Like this:

mqdefault.jpg

FFXIII was just undercooked when it came to all of the story/history potential and now it feels like the designers expect the audience to go back and do homework just to be able to follow the intricacies of the mythology in the sequels.
I don't like how they've done this and I sure as hell hope this isn't a trend that continues with future FFs.

I definitely share the frustration Jolly. I guess what Toriyama wanted to do was keep the world grounded in the main characters' stories and keep the whole gods mythology in the background since I doubt any of the characters in the game even know the tale of Bhunivelve. It almost got there with 13-2 but I (and I am sure most people) wanted more. The Occurians were like that in 12: we learn a little about who they are and what they want but not where they came from and why they want to be 'gods'. You also only really learn about them from reading entries in the clan primer.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
FFX was much better at this. It's a pity that Versus won't come anytime soon, I have a guess that once that game is out, people will dislike even more the FFXIII's attempt at presenting its world and telling its story.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lightning a slave to a god once again... oh boy. And she's totally a shinigami, outfit and all.

The whole rebirth of the world also reminds me of Evangelion. Toriyama been watching too much anime.

Lightning a slave to a god once again... oh boy. And she's totally a shinigami, outfit and all.

The whole rebirth of the world also reminds me of Evangelion. Toriyama been watching too much anime.

i await the moment where she will say "screw it i'm tired" and go full caius route ( will probably happen when the soul of serah won't be coming back )

I do find it weird that FFXIII's sequels have each retconned or rendered irrelevant the previous game's ending, and how each one takes place in pretty much an entirely different world and time. They might as well not be sequels to each other, except that Toriyama wants to recycle stale assets, battle elements, and characters.

I definitely share the frustration Jolly. I guess what Toriyama wanted to do was keep the world grounded in the main characters' stories and keep the whole gods mythology in the background since I doubt any of the characters in the game even know the tale of Bhunivelve. It almost got there with 13-2 but I (and I am sure most people) wanted more. The Occurians were like that in 12: we learn a little about who they are and what they want but not where they came from and why they want to be 'gods'. You also only really learn about them from reading entries in the clan primer.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a lot of background history that the player has to actively seek out to add depth to the world. FFVIII and FFX (as Grivenger pointed out above) did this very well.

However, it becomes a problem when all the sudden it starts to seep into the main story and become an important piece of the overall picture.

FFXIII was designed to be character oriented, but with the sequels they keep reducing the primary characters, but increasing the importance of the myths. It's becoming a problem, because said myths weren't emphasized enough in the main entry because of the way the plot was designed.

Just sloppy design/direction overall if you ask me. Toriyama can do a few things right, but he's proving that creating a sweeping, highly detailed epic is not one of them. They have been writing themselves into a mess since XIII-2 and now it might snowball out of control with LR unless they simplify things and tie this whole 'project' up with a neat bow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I do find it weird that FFXIII's sequels have each retconned or rendered irrelevant the previous game's ending, and how each one takes place in pretty much an entirely different world and time. They might as well not be sequels to each other, except that Toriyama wants to recycle stale assets, battle elements, and characters.
Watch the new world magically loop back to the end of FFXIII.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member

This. I hate that FFXIII-2 had absolutely nothing to do with the first game. Yes, the first chapter happens right after the ending to FFXIII, but after that it's just a big mess of new, unrelated stuff that completely ignores the first game. As much as I hated FF13, it had a cool background story, and interesting lore (once you managed to understand it), and I would have liked the sequel(s) to expand on that.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFX was much better at this. It's a pity that Versus won't come anytime soon, I have a guess that once that game is out, people will dislike even more the FFXIII's attempt at presenting its world and telling its story.
Well... at least from the sound of it so far Versus is more focused on human drama.

Zoe

I definitely share the frustration Jolly. I guess what Toriyama wanted to do was keep the world grounded in the main characters' stories and keep the whole gods mythology in the background since I doubt any of the characters in the game even know the tale of Bhunivelve. It almost got there with 13-2 but I (and I am sure most people) wanted more.

Yeah, they don't. Hope didn't know who Etro was when they were watching that data cube thingy.

Though he does call Coccoon 2.0 Bhunivelze.

CorvoSol

What? No, I'm confused. Across all 3 FNC games, NONE of the Gods have appeared. Pulse and Lindzei were missing in XIII, and the objective of Barthandelus was to open Etro's Gate to find them, just as their objective is to open that Gate and find Bhunivelze.

They can't even keep their own damn mythology straight.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
What? No, I'm confused. Across all 3 FNC games, NONE of the Gods have appeared. Pulse and Lindzei were missing in XIII, and the objective of Barthandelus was to open Etro's Gate to find them, just as their objective is to open that Gate and find Bhunivelze.

They're in there... its just really, really bad storytelling.

Makes me miss Xenosaga and 20 minute cutscenes

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Pulse did appear in that one scene where everyone got branded.

Wasn't Barthy supposed to be Lindzei?

Nope. Just some random speculation. Why would Bart be Lindzei and yet have statues of her in his Eden? It was the text being unclear. It said that Lindzei was the one who built Cocoon and Bart was also mentioned to be the builder. But I think it simply meant that Lindzei commisioned the building and Bart acted out her orders.

FF XIII: LR ends with a new world appearing then Final Fantasy XV apears on the screen with a message in the botom. "2015 will be the beginning of new trilogy"

Lightning is the protagonist again.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
FF XIII: LR ends with a new world appearing then Final Fantasy XV apears on the screen with a message in the botom. "2015 will be the beginning of new trilogy"

Lightning is the protagonist again.
Directed and Written by Motomu Toriyama (FINAL FANTASY X-2, LIGHTNING SAGA and BLOOD OF BAHAMUT)

Midou

Dear lord... no.

Don't worry, I'm sure Final Fantasy is over. Instead we will begin a new decade of Square Enix games called Lightning's Legacy. All other related projects will be canceled, or at least their hero or heroine will be replaced with lightning. Versus will come out in 2015 after they have sufficient time to ruin the outfits of every single character and of course put Lightning in the lead.

For someone who supposedly loves Lightning, Toriyama puts her through all kinds of hell. When will she finally be happy? ;__;

Although he loves her, he can't be together with her since in reality she dosn't exists. So if he can't be happy she shouldn't either. A kind of love/hate relationship.

Is something he should explore in his next games.

Fabulla Nova Crystallis ~Plus~ will be next big thing.

Several new titles in development. iOS titles like Chocobocolina Adventures will be revealed at the next 1st Department Premiere.

Lightning Returns 2: Brand New World already on planning stages.

You heard it here first!

I hope this one has innovative Toriyama features like battle damage causing Lightning's clothes to fall off. Ugh, the man is so trashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom