• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns planned to launch on PC in December

PulseONE

Will I need to have played XIII-2 to understand this?

You'll need to at least know the basic plot, yes

I now have two reasons to look forward to this game lol.

At least one of those reasons is pretty legit =P

I'll be doing my first playthrough on Hard, so I hope it gets a lot harder than normal.

Normal can actually be surprisingly hard (assuming you're not power levelling)

Even normal enemies can kick your ass if you're not careful

Normal can actually be surprisingly hard (assuming you're not power levelling)

Even normal enemies can kick your ass if you're not careful

Good.

That's one more reason to play on hard lol (I'm weird with this stuff...)

It'll be fun too, because the game doesn't limit you like XIII does, so the challenge is different.

nOoblet16

The one thing I like about the voice over in the XIII games is that they don't over do the anime clichés for voice over and that translates into the English dub. It still exists of course (Vanille for instance) but they don't hesitate from trying something different like Australian accents or Lightning's dry delivery. (It doesn't work for XIII but does in LR)

I am playing Tales of Zestiria right now and the way every character speaks can be defined by an anime archetype.

Good.

It'll be fun too, because the game doesn't limit you like XIII does, so the challenge is different.
It sort of limits you in a different way though, you can only level up through side quests.

XIII-2 didn't limit players and that in turn ended up making the game hilariously easy when it was already easier than XIII.

PulseONE

Good.

Yeah, I loved that you can do the main story in basically any order you want

L.O.R.D

HKhcXHB.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Since they took 50 years to port this game, I hope they've optimized it well and that most computers can run it in 60 fps.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm reasonably excited about this. I think I'll enjoy it for the battle system.

Not terribly confident about the port though.

Garlador

minigame-1-ff10-s.jpg

I'm with Rikku on this; I hate Lightning.

You can't spend one game training me to avoid Lightning, and reward me for doing so, and then have a console generation of non-stop Lightning. I've dodged her how many times now? Do I get something good if I do it 100 more times?

jrcbandit

Absolutely no interest because SE never fixed either FF13 game on pc, both with crap frame pacing when it should be running smooth on 970 SLI... Well I might pick it up if 80% off...

Mihos

Gold Member
Will I need to have played XIII-2 to understand this?

You should play 13-2 because it is awesome and the best of the 3.

I am looking forward to LR, but I hope they don't do the costume unlocks the same way they did on PS3. I used Clouds costume mainly because I wanted the OG victory fanfare... it always bugged me it wasn't in 13 and 13-2/

Vaettir

I wonder if that time shit can be modded out or a cheat for unlimited time. One of the reasons I quit that game.

You could hack a save on the PS3 version to have a chronostasis of 99. Surely enough, you can do it with Cheat Engine. IIRC the game would also display the number of chronostasis left and will refresh back to 99 after a day passes. In the menu, you would see it as 99/6 chronostasis.

Mihos

Gold Member
I wonder if that time shit can be modded out or a cheat for unlimited time. One of the reasons I quit that game.

even with chronostatis? I hate that stuff too, but honestly I was having to skip time by the end to get the story to progress since there was so much left over and I was out of stuff to do.

Good.

If this is a direct port, you can't play on Hard straight away. That's in NG+. A few things are locked to NG+, like weapon customization if I remember right. It was weird getting all these materials and not being able to use them until NG+.

I never did finish the game, so I'm excited to replay it at some point. The battle system is beyond awesome at times, although random battles can get annoying.

The game has a lot of good elements, visuals and story being the absolute worst parts, which a lot of people focus on (rightly so, but still).

Flandy

The reason this took so long is because they're gonna make this run at 60fps without drops to 30, right? Right? :(

Lazaro

Hopefully there will be no Windows 10 Xbox controller issue for LR.

While I doubt it, hopefully Square Enix will go back and fix some issues in FFXIII and FFXIII-2 as well.

and also hopefully there will be a COMPLETE PC Retail compilation that includes all three games so I don't have to download over a 100GB of game data.
Wvay45n.jpg

but I doubt that too...
*looking at Konami

If this is a direct port, you can't play on Hard straight away. That's in NG+. A few things are locked to NG+, like weapon customization if I remember right. It was weird getting all these materials and not being able to use them until NG+.

I never did finish the game, so I'm excited to replay it at some point. The battle system is beyond awesome at times, although random battles can get annoying.

The game has a lot of good elements, visuals and story being the absolute worst parts, which a lot of people focus on (rightly so, but still).
Whaaaaat?

Nooo >.>

But...

No.

I'm tempted to wait for a while after the game comes out and just download a save off the internet that will throw me immediately on NG+ now =X (Can you even do that with Steam games?)

This thread also reminded me Last Remnant is out for pc lol. How was that? I know it's pretty darn old at this point.
Last Remnant was the one perfect port from Square.

Type-0 was technically fine too, since its limitations were just the same as the console ones.

But neither port team will be doing LR (probably...)

Falk

that puzzling face
re: time limit

Too many game functions are dependant on what day and what time of day it is. You can't just 'hack out' the time limit and expect the game to still function properly. Pause indefinitely, toggle-able at your discretion, more plausible. Even setting the time backwards probably can cause logic issues, from quests, to what monsters appear, to boss stats, to what garb is available, to how Hope behaves at the start of the day, etc. Can't really go into more detail without spoiling what happens at the end, either. but it's also very, very dependent on the clock functioning.

It really is just part of the game, to be quite honest. Just like Atelier games pre-Shallie. Over there, it's partially a narrative tool to concretely convey the passing of time, something that's rather important in the narrative since so many of them really are coming-of-age stories.

There are people here who actually like Lightning? That's fair enough suppose, I can respect that. She just seemed like such a boring and uninteresting protagonist to me.

Top Bottom