• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns starts to appear in Los Angeles

Sometimes I wonder if FF13 supporters will be the only ones happy when her story is finished and her time is over. Who else will SE haters have to fixate on???

Wait, wait, wait back up. Because people are critical of XIII and Lightning we are now somehow Square Enix haters?

Okay sure... have fun in Lightnings land where everything is candy and rainbows.

And also to answer your question... nothing. That's because the "SE haters" (lol) just want Square Enix Japan to make good RPG's. The XIII saga is getting in the way of that. Once this is over we can all dance in the sun.

HeelPower

That may be your opinion but from how I see it Aqua has a vastly superior range of emotion to that of Lightning. This not only helps her character but makes her relatable. It also helps with the whole 1 dimensional character and the "monotone" voice that you said Aqua had. (Lol if Aqua is monotone what does that make lightning).

Lets put cutscenes from the end of both XIII and BBS and let's compare. Obviously spoilers ahead:

Aqua

Lightning

You reminded how epic both two games are.Frankly I don't see either endings proves one is better than the other.

To reiterate I do like Aqua a lot and she is the best out of the right trio in BBS.Vastly superior to light ? i don't see it.

Your interpretation is simply overanalyzing her. I didn't find her that different from start to finish.

I read your post but it does not convince me, her acting differently in a few scenarios does not mean she evolved her personality.

They are not facts as much as your analysis of her behaviour.

I tried to present and support why I like lightning by using direct evidence from the game.I didn't overanalyze its all there directly in the game. Lightning does change and evolve greatly.You don't want to see it.

Midou

They made a good game. 2 in fact. It's called Type 0 and Bravely Default.

Would sure like some translations. :(

I agree handheld Square Enix is pretty awesome though. A lot of the games are co-developed or outsourced though.

I tried to present and support why I like lightning by using direct evidence from the game.I didn't overanalyze its all there directly in the game. Lightning does change and evolve greatly.You don't want to see it.

In truth I didn't want to see anything in the game. My crazy hype for it and the fact I bought it for $60 made me feel the need for force myself to finish the game. Yet it wasn't like I skipped cut scenes or rushed through every part. I just never felt like 'wow Lightning is so different now'.

I think your evidence is fine and a completely sound argument as to why you like Lightning, I just don't consider those scenes as significant or purpose filled as you do.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
As quickly as I can :

Lightning:

Beginning of XIII : Apprehensive , Hasty , Regretful , Tense, Angry(Upon fighting Fal'cie)

Mid game: (...) She wants to cut him off but he helps her fight her Odin so she sees that she has to help.

She opens up to him about how she shut down serah and how she hates snow.He blames snow for the death of his mother so lightning tells him he is wrong.They go to palumpolum to meet his father.She tasks snow with protecting hope and tells hope to work with snow.They reconcile because of her.

She meets fang , confronts her then realises her own mistakes.she could have protected serah so it wasn't really fang's fault.She sees how Fang wants to protect vanille and feels closer to her.She APOLOGIZES to snow for being unfair to him the whole time.(Bed room scene)

She also helps fang fight bahamut and hope fight Alexander.She helps rescue vanille and sazh.Lightning is now well integrated into the group.Willing to fight for everyone.

End game : (...)

Do you see how lightning is flat , boring and undeveloped ?
Yes, yes, we see how she is flat, boring and underdeveloped.

First, let me point out that all the initial-game attributes you have pointed out revolve around her angry attitude. There's nothing behind that. That's about as much personality as Cloud shows in the first 10 minutes of FFVII. But there's a difference between Lightning and Cloud. By the time you reach Tifa's bar, you see a completely new side of Cloud's personality, that sharply contrasts with his cold attitude, and makes him more dynamic as a character. Lightning is, for a good portion of the story, the cold, angry soldier and nothing more. This is why Lightning feels boring and flat.

Second, the change in personality you have shown is minimal. Basically, based on what you said, Lightning's entire development revolves around a bitchy character becoming slightly less bitchy. She's willing to cool off her hot head, admit her own mistakes, and be nicer to a few members of the group. That's it. It's as basic and minimal as it gets. Cloud, too, had to admit some stuff about him when Tifa confronted him about their memories, and say sorry. In the first hour of the game.

It's worth noting that Lightning barely interacts with the cast, outside of Hope and maybe Snow. Vanille is the most important character in the story, but can you tell me, what are Lightning's view, opinions and relationship with her? Sazh pretty much has to deal with Lightning's bitchy behaviour in the beginning of the game, but outside of that, what more do we see out of their relationship? How does it develops? She stopped bitching about him. That was it. In fact, for most of the cast, Lightning's relationship can be summed into this: "don't bother me, I don't have patience for you all" to "I'll barely interact with you all, and only open my mouth to make the plot move forward or to make a motivational speech".

Cloud, in a gameplay sequence worth of 15 minutes in the Tifa's bar, shows more personality when interacting with other characters than Lightning for half the game. Present Tifa, childhood Tifa, Barret and the remaining avalanche group all lead to different behaviour from Cloud. And let's not forget half an hour later, with Aeris, and then with her mother. Lightning is pretty much the "angry bitch" to anyone, with different degrees of bitchering, and as the story moves on, with lesser degrees of bitchering.

Basically you're trying to convince us that Lightning is a good character, because through the entire game, she shows as much personality as Cloud did in one hour or two. And we barely knew Cloud's personality within that hour or two. Lightning is, without a doubt, an underdeveloped character.

And then there's the fact that Lightning completely went against her ideals at the very end of the game, for no apparent reason other than the writers wanting to hastily end the story somehow. But then again FFXIII's ending makes no sense.

First, let me point out that all the initial-game attributes you have pointed out revolve around her angry attitude. There's nothing behind that. That's about as much personality as Cloud shows in the first 10 minutes of FFVII. But there's a difference between Lightning and Cloud. By the time you reach Tifa's bar, you see a completely new side of Cloud's personality, that sharply contrasts with his cold attitude, and makes him more dynamic as a character. Lightning is, for a good portion of the story, the cold, angry soldier and nothing more. This is why Lightning feels boring and flat.

Second, the change in personality you have shown is minimal. Basically, based on what you said, Lightning's entire development revolves around a bitchy character becoming slightly less bitchy. She's willing to cool off her hot head, admit her own mistakes, and be nicer to a few members of the group. That's it. It's as basic and minimal as it gets. Cloud, too, had to admit some stuff about him when Tifa confronted him about their memories, and say sorry. In the first hour of the game.

It's worth noting that Lightning barely interacts with the cast, outside of Hope and maybe Snow. Vanille is the most important character in the story, but can you tell me, what are Lightning's view, opinions and relationship with her? Sazh pretty much has to deal with Lightning's bitchy behaviour in the beginning of the game, but outside of that, what more do we see out of their relationship? How does it develops? She stopped bitching about him. That was it. In fact, for most of the cast, Lightning's relationship can be summed into this: "don't bother me, I don't have patience for you all" to "I'll barely interact with you all, and only open my mouth to make the plot move forward or to make a motivational speech".

Cloud, in a gameplay sequence worth of 15 minutes in the Tifa's bar, shows more personality when interacting with other characters than Lightning for half the game. Present Tifa, childhood Tifa, Barret and the remaining avalanche group all lead to different behaviour from Cloud. And let's not forget half an hour later, with Aeris, and then with her mother. Lightning is pretty much the "angry bitch" to anyone, with different degrees of bitchering, and as the story moves on, with lesser degrees of bitchering.

Basically you're trying to convince us that Lightning is a good character, because through the entire game, she shows as much personality as Cloud did in one hour or two. And we barely knew Cloud's personality within that hour or two. Lightning is, without a doubt, an underdeveloped character.

And then there's the fact that Lightning completely went against her ideals at the very end of the game, for no apparent reason other than the writers wanting to hastily end the story somehow. But then again FFXIII's ending makes no sense.

This.

I wish I had the motivation to write a long response like yours but its about Lightning. And I just can't... because not much is there to discuss about her personality.

I was thinking of making a response but this will do.

HeelPower

Basicallyy you're trying to convince us that Lightning is a good character, because through the entire game, she shows as much personality as Cloud did in one hour or two. And we barely knew cloud's personality within that hour or two. That makes Lightning an underdeveloped character.

And then there's the fact that Lightning completely went against her ideals at the very end of the game, for no apparent reason other than the writers wanted to end the hastily end the story somehow.

Again you are holding on to the "angry bitch, emo" part like everyone else.The last scene in the game where she is unreasonably angry at all is when odin comes out to fight her.Lightning has deep interactions with Hope , snow and Fang.That being said , I do wish they did more to the group interactions in a more organic way.

Again I have explicitly stated that she drops the anger for a great portion of the game and that's not my interpretation , its there in the game.She also admits that her lashing out on everyone and fighting for no reason was a big mistake that won't do them any good. She attempts to motivate everyone sure why does that have to be bad now ?

The group sticks fairly well together by the end of the game.The only static and ridiculous character in XIII is snow.I would agree to that.The rest all have their fair share of development.Not the absolute best at all but its very much existent whether or not you(or anyone else) denies it.

Sorry, I haven't played VII so I can't compare between lightning and cloud.

Also I appreciate your thoughtful response.

Toth

I call anyone who wants SE to fail SE haters. Losing money is not going to make SE 'revert' to making classic RPGs. The market for those games, as much as i hate to say it, has dried up. Look how many quality RPGs have been released here and barely break 100k. I root for SE to survive so that future gems may be realized.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I will say this in XIII Lightning's defense. At least she is somewhat consistently angry.

That whole forced romance thing with Squall was a major ugh point for me in VIII. I miss the first half's overthinking cynical hardass who disliked being spoken about in the dreaded past tense.

VertPin

ku-xlarge.jpg

QuzNbfT.gif

Midou

I call anyone who wants SE to fail SE haters. Losing money is not going to make SE 'revert' to making classic RPGs. The market for those games, as much as i hate to say it, has dried up. Look how many quality RPGs have been released here and barely break 100k. I root for SE to survive so that future gems may be realized.

I don't know how much money they can lose on a 1 year project with 90% re-used assets.

I want them to succeed very much with XIV, since they seem to have put in a mountain of work and management re-shuffling, as well as proving they are taking fan input and implementing it in the most logical way possible. Toryiama and his teams have done nothing of the sort.

I do not support what they are doing with XIII, I do want SE to survive.

The things I'm most interested in knowing about this game are 1. How did this get greenlit? Serious question, not hating but from my understanding, the sales of XIII-2 and the overall fan reception doesn't seem to validate a sequel. If it's purely to finish the story, they could have released a novel for those that care.

And 2. If this game is essentially done (as per the destructoid dude's comment) why is it going to take so long to come out (october/novemberish?) Well since it's done I would hope to see lengthy game play demos at E3.

I'll definitely pick it up, mostly just to satisfy my collection, I'm sure the price will drop to $20 as fast as XIII-2 did. I enjoyed the XIII games for the most part, but I'm really just burnt out on everything XIII and want something else, preferably Versus.

I will say this in XIII Lightning's defense. At least she is somewhat consistently angry.

That whole forced romance thing with Squall was a major ugh point for me in VIII. I miss the first half's overthinking cynical hardass who disliked being spoken about in the dreaded past tense.

It was necesary. His angsty stick would have got annoying otherwise. Also it was an enjoyable love story (in before "ugh they barely talked! it was dumb!" from VIII haters)

To be fair, it doesn't look like they are reusing *that* many assets in LR (since it looks like a new world). Or at least from what we've seen so far. XIII-2 reused quite a bit, though.

Definetly in LR defense, is way closer to a "new game" than XIII-2 ever was.

I don't know how much money they can lose on a 1 year project with 90% re-used assets.

To be fair, it doesn't look like they are reusing *that* many assets in LR (since it looks like a new world). Or at least from what we've seen so far. XIII-2 reused quite a bit, though.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

I want Square's XIII games to fail because they're garbage and I'd rather not witness more shit that's caused Square, my favourite company, to lose so much respect from the gaming community at large. They need to get it through their thick skulls that the majority of long time FF fans and loyal supporters don't want the series to follow XIII's example, and if that means LR has to bomb? You bet I'm hoping for that outcome.
Does that make me a Square hater?

Toth

I want them to succeed very much with XIV, since they seem to have put in a mountain of work and management re-shuffling, as well as proving they are taking fan input and implementing it in the most logical way possible. Toryiama and his teams have done nothing of the sort.

I do not support what they are doing with XIII, I do want SE to survive.

Okay but the fact is that unless LR is a mega worldwide hit, Toriyama is done with FF.

Again you are holding on to the "angry bitch, emo" part like everyone else.The last scene in the game where she is unreasonably angry at all is when odin comes out to fight her.Lightning has deep interactions with Hope , snow and Fang.That being said , I do wish they did more to the group interactions in a more organic way.

Again I have explicitly stated that she drops the anger for a great portion of the game and that's not my interpretation , its there in the game.She also admits that her lashing out on everyone and fighting for no reason was a big mistake that won't do them any good. She attempts to motivate everyone sure why does that have to be bad now ?

The group sticks fairly well together by the end of the game.The only static and ridiculous character in XIII is snow.I would agree to that.The rest all have their fair share of development.Not the absolute best at all but its very much existent whether or not you(or anyone else) denies it.

Sorry, I haven't played VII so I can't compare between lightning and cloud.

Also I appreciate your thoughtful response.

You're the only one who keeps bringing up the emo part. No one else has even uttered the word emo until now.

No, but losing money will make the company focus on products consumers want. Like it or not money speaks louder than words. Unfortunately the massive drop-off of sales from XIII to XIII-2 fell in deaf ears.

We all want Square Enix to do well. But we also want them to make fantastic games. We aren't hoping for them to fail. We are hoping for them to pick themselves back up after realizing how much goodwill has been lost between them and the community at large INCLUDING fans that don't go on message boards like us.

I can't tell you how many of my Final Fantasy friends who love the series absolutely hate the direction they are going. They are upset that they have been stuck with Lightning games for a generation. This is where Square Enix screwed up.

I enjoyed the XIII games for the most part, but I'm really just burnt out on everything XIII and want something else, preferably Versus.

This is pretty much how I feel. Despite their problems, I actually did have fun and enjoy XIII/XIII-2. But I'm just kinda tired of the characters/story/systems now and want them to move on.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Problem was the mythos was poorly clarified since they expected you would know it or read up on it.

2nd problem was they expected XIII to be a stellar hit like VII.

3rd problem is they wanted to reenact a VII compilation of sorts.

4th problem. It backfired. Spectacularly. Type 0 is so far the best out of all the FNC games, and the one many have clamored for, even if just information, is Versus. Which SE continues to deny. A majority is pining for Versus, they are tired of Lightning, tired of XIII, tired of Gran Pulse, and quite simply want a new world to explore, and want to experience a new story unfold.

But as it turns out what most want, the opposite is received.

Toth

Heres the thing. Did XIII-2 not sell that high because fans did not want it or because the JP market crashed? Considering 13-2 is still the highest selling PS3 game since 13 speaks to me that in almost two years, titles in Japan are barely cracking 3 00k. Look at this week. SM. 4 barely makes 200k on 3DS. 3DS. What is going on with the market? A dramatic shift away from PS3 games and a movement to smart phones / cheaper games.

Heres the thing. Did XIII-2 not sell that high because fans did not want it or because the JP market crashed? Considering 13-2 is still the highest selling PS3 game since 13 speaks to me that in almost two years, titles in Japan are barely cracking 3 00k. Look at this week. SM. 4 barely makes 200k on 3DS. 3DS. What is going on with the market? A dramatic shift away from PS3 games and a movement to smart phones / cheaper games.

Is that how your dressing it up? Because I remember the drop off being more massive in the West then in Japan.

Kunan

We all know this is the last XIII game, and that they're announcing something else at E3. So why are people banging on the hate drum still? Let those that want to appreciate the game discuss the game, and wait 2 weeks for the hopeful reveal of the next one. What's done is done, and the end of your misery is in sight.

Filling every LR thread with complaining, about the exact same points ad nauseum, is just crippling any capability of discussion for those that care about the game. Yes, people are mad with SE's direction. We've known this for years. Actively filling every thread about it with this, when you know a new game is coming, is just plain malice towards your fellow gaffers at this point. Move on. Enjoy the new hotness. Live and let live.

HeelPower

These two you should focus on fixing. :p

My favorite game and probably piece of artwork ever is FFX.It helped get through depression and some problems in my life.I have great appreciation for the series as a whole.I plan to play those games soon enough.

Heres the thing. Did XIII-2 not sell that high because fans did not want it or because the JP market crashed? Considering 13-2 is still the highest selling PS3 game since 13 speaks to me that in almost two years, titles in Japan are barely cracking 3 00k. Look at this week. SM. 4 barely makes 200k on 3DS. 3DS. What is going on with the market? A dramatic shift away from PS3 and sales.

Is that really truth?

Tales of managed steady sales in all his PS3 titles.

And if I'm not wrong same can be said about other series like Yakuza.

And that may explain JP, what about EU/NA sales?

We all know this is the last XIII game, and that they're announcing something else at E3. So why are people banging on the hate drum still? Let those that want to appreciate the game discuss the game, and wait 2 weeks for the hopeful reveal of the next one. What's done is done, and the end of your misery is in sight.

Filling every LR thread with complaining, about the exact same points ad nauseum, is just crippling any capability of discussion for those that care about the game. Yes people are mad with SE's direction but actively wrecking any thread about it, when you know a new game is coming, is just plain malice towards your fellow gaffers.

We're just really bitter at how Squeenix continues to waste their time with an inferior product. And then the Lightning fans become vocal and well that just reenergizes the haters.

Toth

Like Metal Gear, Street Fighter and Moster Hunter? A lot better then the XIII games.

Serious question : what are their western sales? Last I checked, games like MGR sold like 300k here.

It really seems that the west has turned largely away from JP games that aren't Nintendo backed :(

Emitan

We're just really bitter at how Squeenix continues to waste their time with an inferior product. And then the Lightning fans become vocal and well that just reenergizes the haters.

It gets really annoying when the same handful of people enter a thread say they continue to hate the game and then mock people who like it. If you don't care about a game you could just not post in the thread.

Toth

Funny thing is that I only like Lightning. I am just the guy who loves every FF despite each of their faults. I see way too much misinformation about Ff13 and 13-2 that needs to be corrected or at least properly explored.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It gets really annoying when the same handful of people enter a thread say they continue to hate the game and then mock people who like it. If you don't care about a game you could just not post in the thread.

I care about the company that holds my beloved RPG franchise which holds onto my beloved true hero of Final Fantasy.

Please Understand.

Midou

Serious question : what are their western sales? Last I checked, games like MGR sold like 300k here.

It really seems that the west has turned largely away from JP games that aren't Nintendo backed :(

MGR did do like 300k I think, but it was considered a success worldwide last I checked. A game does not have to push a million to be successful... plenty of Japanese games sell under 100k and it's considered okay.

Dark Souls is probably only recent Japanese game to push big numbers, and it didn't exactly have a killer AAA budget, apparently if you make a game good people will buy it.

Kunan

I absolutely understand this. Believe me, I do. I just fear this thread turning into the excessive vitriol that got the last thread locked, right when we were starting to have a pretty decent discussion.

Although, really, there's not much else to talk about with a E3 thread. It's just am I excited or am I not excited. So, perhaps, this thread is the exact place for this discussion.

Top Bottom