• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning - "Why the hate?"

Espada

I definitely think some of the resentment fans have towards her is because of SE's push to make her the FF mascot. Previous characters, like Cloud, Seph, Yuna, all reached huge heights with fans naturally, because they had great stories, great development, were part of great games, or any combination of that. And we ended up getting more of those characters because we demanded it. Fans helped make Cloud/Yuna the icons that they are, not SE. Whereas with Lightning, it's entirely reversed. They started out thinking they were giving us the Next Great Thing, but forgot to give us a reason why we should feel that way.

Exactly

SE needs to understand that they should make compelling characters and stories, and if they do their jobs right the characters in question will become popular on their own. No need to force feed some artificial "hit" down our throats.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Square just hates it's fans.

I mean FF: All the Bravest.

Talk about betrayal for some.

And insult to injury for those hoping BDFF having a chance of localization. Now we are back to "square" one and remain hopeful.

maybe you should look for different games then, you're not gonna find that in a Square game:p

And yet Type 0 delivered.

She's a moody bitch with an attitude problem who physically assaults half of her crew like a little kid that doesn't know how to use her words. And because she's a woman it's supossed to be ok.

The brotha with the chicken in his afro would beat her down if she even entertained the thought of putting her hands on him. I know I would have.

She's a moody bitch with an attitude problem and assaults half of her crew.

The brotha with the chicken in his afro would beat her down if she even entertained the thought of putting her hands on him. I know I would have.
iUXwrvZmh9w99.png

Why would she be happy if her parents are dead, her sister is crystalized (pretty much dead), they are cursed to follow a similar path if they dont discover what is their focus, and are being followed by the army/trying to be killed all the time? Basically you are saying that for a chaarcter to be likable it has to be nice to everyone, have funny moments and be happy all the time. Thats not how things work.

Yes, you are correct she went through hard times, but I'd like to use an example. Tidus in FF10 had a father that always put him down, was transported to a world that wasn't his, and lost his mother and still puts a smile on everyday.

Another example. In FF7 Cloud dealt
with his friend Aerith's death, had to find out his hero Sephiroth burned his village down, and was exiled from his village
and still has fun with the group sometimes. Now he wasn't cracking jokes or anything but just small things like the date's with Yuffie, Aerith, or Tifa, or just events like the drowning girl, and Yuffie in general moments.

If you know Zidane, don't even get me started with what happened to him and he's entertaining as heck throughout the game.

Now I'm not saying that Lightning should be sunshine and butterflies throughout the game, but she can at least be entertaining. Like I said Cloud and Tidus dealt with tough times and could still take time and be entertaining to the party. I'm not looking for a Yuffie here but i at least want somebody I can remember with a smile then someone with an angry fist.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Lightning doesn't know who she is. Total nutcase. She's living a lie when she doesn't have to.

She isn't one with that much of a tragic story, as opposed to Zidane.

Or even the cast of Type 0.
I think every character had something very wrong with them, or they got royally fucked over

And analyzing FF6 character's also shows them having glaring issues far more severe.

LuuKyK

Yes, you are correct she went through hard times, but I'd like to use an example. Tidus in FF10 had a father that always put him down, was transported to a world that wasn't his, and lost his mother and still puts a smile on everyday.

with his friend Aerith's death, had to find out his hero Sephiroth burned his village down, and was exiled from his village
and still has fun with the group sometimes. Now he wasn't cracking jokes or anything but just small things like the date's with Yuffie, Aerith, or Tifa, or just events like the drowning girl, and Yuffie in general moments.

Now I'm not saying that Lightning should be sunshine and butterflies throughout the game, but she can at least be entertaining. Like I said Cloud and Tidus dealt with tough times and could still take time and be entertaining to the party. I'm not looking for a Yuffie here but i at least want somebody I can remember with a smile then someone with an angry fist.

Thats all true, but people react in different ways, you cant say she should be like that just because Tidus and Cloud did. This is just the way she is. Also, if you finished the game, you know she managed to
smile/be nice and accept Serah and Snow's marriage/engagement or whatever. Thats a pretty remarkable moment.

Esura

Banned
By his own guy I meant he had a distinct personality from Zack's. Even if it was Cloud's interpretation of Zack, the Cloud we see in Disc 1 of FF7 is way different from Zack.

Not way different, but different enough to not be a full on Zack copycat.

That's fine. I have no problem with that, but in a discussion about why a character is good and what makes them good, appearance is an absolute non-factor.

Not if appearances is what makes that character good to that person. I don't see how that would be a non-factor.

Verendus

Banned
Lightning is a terrible character. Bland, boring, and linked to failure. Even Square Enix doesn't really give a crap about her. She'll be forever attached as the face of a poor console generation for them. Everyone is waiting for a fresh start. They're just milking FF fans for what they can before they finally get it with the next generation platforms.

LuuKyK

Lightning is a terrible character. Bland, boring, and linked to failure. Even Square Enix doesn't really give a crap about her. She'll be forever attached as the face of a poor console generation for them. Everyone is waiting for a fresh start. They're just milking FF fans for what they can before they finally get it with the next generation platforms.

happy0188.gif

Silvawuff

Lightning is like a fantastic looking chocolate easter bunny. Then you bite into her and you realize there's nothing inside.

I think what makes her polarizing is the fact that she could be a good character if she was written better, because her visual design looks fine imo.

Esura

Banned

If you know Zidane, don't even get me started with what happened to him and he's entertaining as heck throughout the game.

Lightning does smile at the end of FFXIII.

Thats all true, but people react in different ways, you cant say she should be like that just because Tidus and Cloud did. This is just the way she is. Also, if you finished the game, you know she managed to
smile/be nice and accept Serah and Snow's marriage/engagement or whatever. Thats a pretty remarkable moment.

I finished the game and remember that. Though it's all ruined when
FF13-2 came out and they blew that moment away.
I may not have liked her but when I finished the game
I was happy to see that she smiled for once.

Though the end of the game is kinda too late for any redeeming qualities in a 40-50hr game.

Jarnet87

I think a lot of the hate comes from Square trying to make us like her, and putting out all these games with her instead of just moving on. Like most of the FF13 cast, they were all terrible except Sazh.

Spinluck

Eh, I liked her, she was tolerable in FFXIII.

After that, was, eh.. well. A little much.

I really liked her design in her first game too.

People tend to overreact to the characters in FFXIII, and pretend that some of the other characters from generally liked FF's weren't shitty, annoying, or poorly written.

She's a great character and her world gives her a more relatable disposition. They won't admit this but a lot of gamers refuse to relate to a female character. Think about the outcry towards Samus gaining human characteristics in Other M when she was priorly an emotionless killing machine.

Maybe I'm over analyzing it.

rataven

But 40+ hours is a long time to spend with a dour lead character. Unless you can identify with their behavior, it ultimately becomes a depressing and joyless experience. Throw in a few light-hearted moments periodically so the player doesn't walk away wanting to gouge their eyes out. And Worst Birthday Ever absolutely does not count.

She's a great character and her world gives her a more relatable disposition. They won't admit this but a lot of gamers refuse to relate to a female character. Think about the outcry towards Samus gaining human characteristics in Other M when she was priorly an emotionless killing machine.

Maybe I'm over analyzing it.
I don't think the reaction against Other M was about Samus being characterized so much as the general sexism of the game.

I definitely think some of the resentment fans have towards her is because of SE's push to make her the FF mascot. Previous characters, like Cloud, Seph, Yuna, all reached huge heights with fans naturally, because they had great stories, great development, were part of great games, or any combination of that. And we ended up getting more of those characters because we demanded it. Fans helped make Cloud/Yuna the icons that they are, not SE. Whereas with Lightning, it's entirely reversed. They started out thinking they were giving us the Next Great Thing, but forgot to give us a reason why we should feel that way.

Nailed it for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Eh. Metroid just had people living the Terminator Samus.

Though I do agree the whole Ridley thing was overdone.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I really like Lightning but in the same way I like, say, Dante from (previous) devil may cry games. I like them fully understanding they are 1-dimensional bad asses doing cool things and looking good doing it.

edit: though at this point I'm kind of tired of her and want to see something new. I wouldn't mind seeing SE take a stab at a more real woman as lead next time around.

BeastM0de

Neo Member
I like Lightning. I think she's kind of hot. But aside from that, I think she's one of the better FF characters in recent years. That's just my opinion.

So just wondering why the hate going on? Let me guess, is it NOT her as a character but more about what she represents with current Square-Enix's tumultuous times: like how they push her into every game, FFXIII's disappointment, Dissidia, ios, etc.

I don't think she's that bad as a character. As for the games she stars in...that I can understand, give or take.

PS1 Had FF 7, 8, and 9.
PS2 had FF10, 10-2, and 12
PS3 had FF 13, 13-2, and FF:more lightning

This ENTIRE generation(ps3) was dedicated to lightning. I actually liked lightning as a character. So did my girlfriend. But not seeing anything new from console Final Fantasy games has made me DISLIKE her as an icon despite the fact that I liked her as a character.

Plus, myself (and others) are bitter that we cant play type 0. That frustration gets directed at square and its current poster child.

Also, lukyk. He loves lightning so much that it is slightly off putting. :\ (no offense)

In short. I liked lightning in her game. I expected more for square. Square did nothing but give me more lightning.

Boss Man

I honestly don't know anything about character building or anything like that, but I do know that I don't care about her at all. The only character I found interesting in FFXIII was Fang.

I think a lot of it has to do with this too. She's the face of what represents the death of a beloved franchise for me. Not saying it will never come back, but what I mean is that I won't be hyped by the mention of FFXV.

Wazzy

Banned
Squares attempt to make us lover her causes me to dislike her more and more. In XIII, she was boring but still had some character development and personality, then XIII-2 happened and anything resembling a personality from her disappeared.

Now LR looks even worse and that coupled with Squares attempts at shoving her down our throats has made her completely unlikable. She is never going to be loved like Cloud, Yuna, Squall, etc.

LuuKyK

It hurts so much, you can only laugh. I understand.

Hurt me? lmao I actually laughed there because you come on in every single XIII related thread with the SAME words/posts, which make it looks like you are the one that is being hurt by the games. Im just fine, I played two games with her and Im going to be playing another one really soon while you continue to ctrl +c ctrl + v your posts into every single Lightning related thread. :D

Verendus

Banned
Hurt me? lmao I actually laughed there because you come on in every single XIII related thread with the SAME words/posts, which make it looks like you are the one that is being hurt by the games. Im just fine, I played two games with her and Im going to be playing another one really soon while you continue to ctrl +c ctrl + v your posts into every single Lightning related thread. :D
Your post hurt me inside. I hope you're happy. Don't know how you live with yourself. You're mean.

AkuMifune

Banned
Soulless. Existing in a ridiculously constructed world with nonsensical character motivations.

Not really her fault though.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Pretty much what I was going to say and have said in previous topics, she has always been designed as a Cloud2.0 but SE never gave us a reason to see her that way, and she has always been pushed on us as such regardless.

She was a bad character (of many in the games), the personality isn't there at all, even for a brooding no-nonsense kind of character they managed to write her terribly, and at this point her creator seems overly obsessed with her. I find myself still a little shocked that we got FFXII that regardless of story has some really well created, written and acted characters; for us then to get FFXIII that all round has been rather meh.

LuuKyK

Your post hurt me inside. I hope you're happy. Don't know how you live with yourself. You're mean.

Why do you keep being evasive and trying to reach me instead of trying to explain your point. You always call the character bland, boring etc. and never try to expand your argument. And you are reprising the role here apparently.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why do you keep being evasive and trying to reach me instead of trying to explain your point. You always call the character bland, boring etc. and never try to expand your argument. And you are reprising the role here apparently.

I don't think there's much point in explaining further. I mean unless you can write me a detailed report on the character of Lightning explaining to me how dynamic of a character she is then by all means, until then she remains a static character which has succumbed to the writing prowess of Motomu Toriyama and even moreso later on Daisuke Watanabe who is actually a worse writer due to different writing techniques.

XIII: Save Serah
XIII-2: Save Lightning
LR(XIII-3):Save Serah again 200-300 years later

Verendus

Banned
You laugh at my post, and then expect me to treat you seriously. I hope you see the idiocy in that. Plus, there's not much to explain about cardboard. I guess I could describe the superficial qualities. Like how it's pink, or is supposed to be "sexy", or has such a "cool" looking appearance. You haven't seen cardboard like this before, let me tell you.

Esura

Banned
I don't think there's much point in explaining further. I mean unless you can write me a detailed report on the character of Lightning explaining to me how dynamic of a character she is then by all means, until then she remains a static character which has succumbed to the writing prowess of Motomu Toriyama and even moreso later on Daisuke Watanabe who is actually a worse writer due to different writing techniques.

XIII: Save Serah
XIII-2: Save Lightning
LR(XIII-3):Save Serah again 200-300 years later

I haven't been following LR much lately cause of Fire Emblem but I thought Lightning was trying to save the world from Chaos in that game. Something changed?

The hate is more towards her games, I think.

Love her design, love that Square are giving so much focus to a female lead, but the writing is just not good enough to make her more than just a pretty design.

Look at what Kojima was able to achieve with The Boss, and she isn't even the lead character. Oh, if only Lightning could have that.....

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I haven't been following LR much lately cause of Fire Emblem but I thought Lightning was trying to save the world from Chaos in that game. Something changed?

Well she is supposed to as the supposed chosen of Bunnybelts now. But her main interest as always is "Serah".

And yes I'm stuck on Fire Emblem as well. Just started Hard mode.

Top Bottom