• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesskid1

Banned
i think they'll be stuck with shopify, too.

they are pumping out games every month so they have no time (nor the money) to implement a new system.

people are just going to have to deal with the glitches, unfortunely.

The lower print probably also makes it the more sought after one this time, I bet. Last time, with SMRPG, Vita version seemed to take a tiny bit longer to sell out especially in the second batch, so it was reactionary caution I guess.

Best to err on the optimistic side for both versions from now on imo. They could have made another little chunk of cash money today.

This. I think if people own both consoles and are collectors who only plan on getting one version, they are naturally going to get the one that has the lower print run.

If I miss out on a Vita copy on the second batch maybe I can make a trade for one of the previous releases. I'm hoping that there were people who placed multiple orders and will have them cancelled leading to it lasting longer the next batch.

oggob

Just a general question, sorry if it has been answered before.

Why do these games have to be so limited if they sell out all the time? Why not produce more? Are they scared they would sit on unsold copies?

They are still a small company and they only do one title at a time, for various reasons...

a) it's still an expensive endeavour to have a small print run of any physical game.
b) the more you print the less attractive something becomes because it's not so limited anymore...
c) they theoretically could bankrupt themselves if they went "all-in" and had a flop...

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I've heard a few anecdotal stories from small devs doing physical print runs (unrelated to LRG) in the tens of thousands and they ended up selling almost nothing. Huge risk taken, huge losses taken, huge mistake right.

LRG comes around and takes equally small indie games and prints a small manageable number and sells out in minutes.

There's clearly a balance being sought out where, at some point, something in big (but not huge) numbers is just "some indie game in the bargain bin" that didn't sell and "a very special, very rare game you'll only get this once so you better get it now go go go."

If you err on the former too far, you end up putting a small studio into huge debt, out of business, or just in a terrible situation. If you err on the side of the latter, the small studio and LRG end up with a small, quick project that nets a decent return on investment and it's done. For a small studio, which one makes sense? The problem with the latter is you end up with physical fans who end up missing out-- but they can still obtain the game easily digitally and for less cost, of course.

But what if you could inch closer, and closer, with each LRG run, towards a middle ground where there's a lot of copies available so they don't sell out in minutes, but few enough that it's still valuable for being "rare"? Well, I think LRG approach something like that with each release.

They're smart guys and they know the issues, but they have to take conservative steps.

Ventara

Because they'll have an order on their system showing for PS4 which they'll have to cancel and then put back onto the site for someone else to get, and then take one from the Vita stock which will take one order away from someone else.

You act like there'll be hundreds of people who have this problem and it will be a huge undertaking, when in reality, it will be probably under 20. And you keep mentioning me taking "someone else's" order. Who is that someone else? Because I'm that someone who didn't get a copy due to a glitch when I was there on time and ready.

The idea of having a second batch wasn't really for if you missed it first time you'd get a second chance; it was that people from all over the world order these games and for some of them it's not practically possible to order it at a specific time. And if they sold out of all 2,500 copies because everyone who hadn't gotten a Vita version had ordered a PS4 version with a note on, then there'd be no stock left over for a second batch.

So you think there would be 1250 PS4 orders for the Vita version because people kept getting the glitch? Sounds like it might be a bigger problem if that many people are having this problem.

And they would have to check through every order to see if it had a note on if they implemented it. Why wouldn't they? If they were allowing people to do that then they'd have to check.

It's a logistical nightmare, I don't know why you think it'd be practical for a 2-man team to do at all.

But at the end of the day, it's not up to me, it's up to the guys from LRG.

They check the messages regardless. I guess that's new to you. And again, you're acting like it'll be hundreds of people who are doing this, while it'll be most likely just a few. "Logistical nightmare," lol.

Anyways, I just want a solution to be found for this, and this was just a quick idea I came up with, not the solution I expect them to implement or whatever. Not sure why you're missing the point and so hung up on this.

Anyways, I just want a solution to be found for this, and this was just a quick idea I came up with, not the solution I expect them to implement or whatever. Not sure why you're missing the point and so hung up on this.

It's a forum and we're debating, lol. Anyway, you seem a little touchy about this so I'll leave it here!

Shizuka

I think that, instead of suggesting these workarounds, it'd be better to contact LRG directly. Ask them if that's possible, if they can secure a spare Vita copy for you, etc. Other than that, this is an open thread and people will share their opinions on your suggestions.

I dunno but the Vita is a platform where JRPG/JRPG-styled games thrive so having a decent Vita print is a good idea.

Yeah, the diff platforms have different markets for certain game types. Definitely expect the more japanese-related or RPG leaning stuff to be more popular on the Vita than something that isn't.

Indies too, for sure. I think you guys have both positions secure ;)

Hobbun

To clarify, if you bought a PS4 version in the morning batch, you can still go for a Vita version in the evening, correct? (It’s not for me).

Man that Vita copy went fast! I had both in my cart about 30 seconds after the sales going live and got the sold out message when I tried to check out. Ended up just getting the PS4 version and I might try to get the Vita one later today.

Up until now I have been buying all the limited run releases as I think they are cool little collectors items to have. But this will probably be the last I do that for. Its starting to get too expensive with Vita and PS4 copies of the same game and a seemingly accelerated release schedule. Also I kind of dislike the next release coming up (FUTURIDIUM). I may try to pick more up in the future if they put out some games I really love.

There's a second batch. Third is possible too per their Twitter.

Nice! I read 6pm right after i posted. I already own this game on PS4, but its been one of my fav this gen, so kind of want it through retail. Will give me some time to make a decision.

whats this signing stuff LRG is talking about on twitter

People asked us to sign the cover of our past games. But we made those, this time we are just publishing a game, so a lot of people are asking us to sign it and we want to make sure they understand it would just be Limited Run signing it and not Oddworld Inhabitants.

In the case of the Vita selling out too fast, here are some quick facts about this run:

- Vita carts costs almost double what a PS4 disc costs.
- We literally stretched our bank account thin to produce the amount of units we did.
- During SMRPG it took six hours for the same amount of Vita copies to sell out.

So that is our statement on why we chose that number. When we have more money we will increase the size for future runs. So we apologize to everyone who missed out on the first run and if you do on the second run.

We will be enforcing a zero policy for anyone who breaks our rules. So don't lose hope!

Hobbun

People asked us to sign the cover of our past games. But we made those, this time we are just publishing a game, so a lot of people are asking us to sign it and we want to make sure they understand it would just be Limited Run signing it and not Oddworld Inhabitants.

So how do I request for you to sign a copy of my game? Just send an email? Will you give confirmation you’ve received it and will sign?

Chesskid1

Banned
this is why you should buy vita games! better value for your money, it costs more!

i think i remember reading 3ds carts cost even more than vita

Famassu

Got Abe for PS4. Out of the future line-up, Cosmic Star Heroine is the only must have for me (assuming it turns out well). Somewhat interested in Volume, Söldner-X 2, Lost Sea & Rainbow Moon, but won't obsess over those.

In the case of the Vita selling out too fast, here are some quick facts about this run:

- We literally stretched our bank account thin to produce the amount of units we did.
- During SMRPG it took six hours for the same amount of Vita copies to sell out.

So that is our statement on why we chose that number. When we have more money we will increase the size for future runs.

I remember you guys saying that, but I couldn't remember the figures you guys gave :p

So that is our statement on why we chose that number. When we have more money we will increase the size for future runs. So we apologize to everyone who missed out on the first run and if you do on the second run.

We will be enforcing a zero policy for anyone who breaks our rules. So don't lose hope!

I'm more concerned that I was on the website at 7 am Pacific and I was unable to secure a Vita copy because of Shopify glitches. It clearly wasn't sold out at that time but despite trying with every browser on PC, on Android, and on an iPad it was showing as sold out. I was able to order the PS4 version without trouble.

The same thing happened for Saturday Morning RPG and I had to put orders in separately.

You should have Shopify look into this issue if you haven't already.

I'm more concerned that I was on the website at 7 am Pacific and I was unable to secure a Vita copy because of Shopify glitches. It clearly wasn't sold out at that time but despite trying with every browser on PC, on Android, and on an iPad it was showing as sold out. I was able to order the PS4 version without trouble.

The same thing happened for Saturday Morning RPG and I had to put orders in separately.

You should have Shopify look into this issue if you haven't already.

We have and they basically told us, "sorry?"

So if this continues to escalate and get worse we will be forced to find another host.

c-murph

Vita sold out quicker than PS4 this time. People want these mostly in part of their "rarity" and their ebay resale/market value. They're this years new Amiibo.
Any one check out ebay already? lol

Also, When I checked out I was told that the PS4 and Vita protective cases were sold out. Nearly freaked because I thought it was going to say the games. Are the cases actually sold out and if not can I still get one of each added to my order if I email LRG Josh/Doug?

So if this continues to escalate and get worse we will be forced to find another host.

That's really lame. To be honest, if that was their customer "service" that alone would make me want to consider a new host.

I'm hoping I won't have any issues this afternoon for the Vita version. I like supporting what you guys are doing!

Weevilone

I had no issues with the system today, but I've experienced it before and it was infuriating. Hopefully they'll switch to another provider soon b/c it'll just keep happening. I'm sure anyone picking up each release will be pretty unhappy if they miss 1 or 2 due to the glitches.

Nicodemic

I hope it's not an inapropriate question but say I was interested in investing in LRG and maybe helping securing a higher print run, is this something you would be considering?

I hope you at least investigate other hosts if that's all their support could tell you. That doesn't exactly instill confidence in them. Did they at least investigate it?

Hopefully, we don't have issues this evening. I've been able to get all other releases so missing out on Vita this morning was kick in the gut.

hawk2025

The current sell-out rate is nice to see, but is a hard situation to be in.

- Increasing the production runs obviously makes sense, but for what products, and by how much?

- How much of the demand is driven by the brand now, rather than the specific game being released?

- At which point does increasing a print from 2500 to, say, 5000 have a negative impact on demand if scarcity-chasers go away?

- What happens if they are left with 2000 copies of a game in inventory?

I think they are doing exactly what they should: Being careful, but increasing production runs enough to test out where the cliff is. There could be a strong discontinuity in sales once production increases enough, and the downside of that could break the bank.

The caution is very much warranted, even if it makes it pretty hard for a lot of us to get everything.

The current sell-out rate is nice to see, but is a hard situation to be in.

- Increasing the production runs obviously makes sense, but for what products, and by how much?

- How much of the demand is driven by the brand now, rather than the specific game being released?

- At which point does increasing a print from 2500 to, say, 5000 have a negative impact on demand if scarcity-chasers go away?

- What happens if they are left with 2000 copies of a game in inventory?

I think they are doing exactly what they should: Being careful, but increasing production runs enough to test out where the cliff is. There could be a strong discontinuity in sales once production increases enough, and the downside of that could break the bank.

The caution is very much warranted, even if it makes it pretty hard for a lot of us to get everything.

I agree with what you say and I think the platform with the lowest print run has sold out first the last 2 times, while the platform with the higher print was available for some time. I think that points to a decent amount of sales coming from collectors that want it, at least in part, because of the scarcity factor and knowing that it's the only chance they will get it without having to pay scalpers.

I missed out on the first round for the first time ever, but I don't suddenly want them to start overprinting these and put themselves in a bad situation. Hopefully, I'll be able to get the Vita version this evening. If not, I can always try to trade a previous release for Oddworld Vita.

LQX

For a game to get a printing does Limited Run Games have to buy in only allotments or can that number been increased to whatever if the minimum is met? Say to get a game printed a minimum of 2,000 has to be bought...so then can you order 2,001 or do they have to then do another allotment of 2,000 even if only 1 more is needed?

Is the vita version also 60fps? I heard about crashes and frame rate problems on the vita version.
Is the retail version updated / fixed mabye?

MW_Jimmy

Once Limited Run games have built up enough capital I really would like them to switch to a pre-order system.

1) Open preorders for 24hr period - if they receive say a low number of 2,000 pre-orders - order 5,000 and the rest go on general release.
2) Receive a high number of pre-orders - say 8,000 - they order 9,000 and keep the general release to a low 1,000 and reduce the demand risk. Don't even need to let people know they've ordered 9,000!

Make pre-orders non-refundable too. Just my two cents.

Megauap

Here you go.

Clocks fixed:

1st Batch
t1461592800z1.png

2nd Batch
t1461621600z1.png

blazeuk

Once Limited Run games have built up enough capital I really would like them to switch to a pre-order system.

1) Open preorders for 24hr period - if they receive say a low number of 2,000 pre-orders - order 5,000 and the rest go on general release.
2) Receive a high number of pre-orders - say 8,000 - they order 9,000 and keep the general release to a low 1,000 and reduce the demand risk. Don't even need to let people know they've ordered 9,000!

Make pre-orders non-refundable too. Just my two cents.

It defeats the point of limited run titles if there's an unlimited amount of stock available during preorders, I think they said early on that a preorder system wasn't something they were too keen on doing.

They're never going to make everyone happy, someone is always going to miss out and be annoyed about it so all they can do is try to make sure their website can handle the rush of orders they get each release (which as we've seen isn't easy, their website is actually holding up well considering they're taking thousands of orders within minutes).

Samuray

LRG, please remember to mark the games with a low value for customs...9$ or 11$ would be great, not much more than that, please. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom