• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Bittercup

But why I didn't start from the last checkpoint when I quit and then choose Highschool again? I'm assuming that's because when I quit I "unequip" the goth costume that I was using? So I have to somehow select it again and then start the stage? (Otherwise the game won't 'recognize' it?)
Checkpoints are always lost when you quit a level and you have to start from the beginning of the stage.
I heard you can resume checkpoints by shutting the game down via dashboard/XMB but never tried this by myself. To be safe I just played each stage without quitting :D

Ricker

Another good action game from Grasshopper ruined by fucking QTE...it would of been so much better also if there wasn't a freakin load screen every 20 steps Juliet takes...so I'm at the last Boss,I fight the fucker for 15 minutes,I even get the fingernail achievement but I die at the end because the QTE glitched or something,I was at full lollipop and I died from god knows what and I have to restart the whole damn fight...FU Grasshopper and you're shitty QTE...god I hope next gen we get rid of those goddamn QTE...

Harlock

Only bad part was the annoying birthday cake. Beat now the arcade level. So much tribute to the videogames. Played with a smile in the face.

dokish

Banned
Another good action game from Grasshopper ruined by fucking QTE...it would of been so much better also if there wasn't a freakin load screen every 20 steps Juliet takes...so I'm at the last Boss,I fight the fucker for 15 minutes,I even get the fingernail achievement but I die at the end because the QTE glitched or something,I was at full lollipop and I died from god knows what and I have to restart the whole damn fight...FU Grasshopper and you're shitty QTE...god I hope next gen we get rid of those goddamn QTE...

I think the game should give you more tips in the QTE department boss-wise and some QTE should "last lesser than they do". For example, the fucking leapfrog chainsaw. You have to push the button for so much time. Its nove even based on speed, is just time! Is a great combo to use, but so fucking annoyin that you don't use it.

Other than that, I love this game. Sure, usual RAGE from some parts, bu that's come with the package, and I feel ashamed of myself as a gamer who can't stand a little challenge. (Uncharted generation).

I died a total of 24 times at the "don't get hit by anything minigame". Those clouds were fucking my vision lol. But with each death, I feel this urge do just fucking overcome it and beat this shit.

Pacing is everything. At first everybody was worried about the 5 hours range, but when you play a 30-40 minute stage with so many "fragments", you can see that this is no problem at all. Actually a played one Stage per day, and felt great.

I have yet to finish the last Stage, but I'm already hoping for a Chainsaw 2. I think what drove everyone away was the "Onechanbara feeling", with everyone thinkin that the game was just about selling Juliet erotic looks, but we all know that the game isn't about that
only

Afterl Kingdoms of Amalur, this game is pretty much my GOTY.

dokish

Banned
Come on, everybody already move on to another game? :(

I'll post again because I made some new discoveries:

- Nick Ticket in the LS is the dumbest thing ever. Should been in RS. Why? Because when the action is heating in Very Hard mode, is so easy to press LS accidentally and activate it.

- Birthday Cake becomes A LOT easir if you use B+X (or Circle + Square) to stun the enemies and send them far away. The running zombies turn their attention to you once they got hit, and no more zombies appear if you haven't finished yet the ones that appeared. That way, you can take your time in killing them

- I'm playing on Very Hard right now and I'm at Zed. The boss fights looks much more strategy-oriented. I don't like it. The bosses have temporarity immunity in a lot of moves, if you try to attack them in certain moves they'll attack you, and you can only attack when they give you space in their defenses. This is actually my most hated boss fight type. This makes fighting bosses SO. MUCH. LONG. AND. TIRESOME.

Ricker

Come on, everybody already move on to another game? :(

I'll post again because I made some new discoveries:

- Nick Ticket in the LS is the dumbest thing ever. Should been in RS. Why? Because when the action is heating in Very Hard mode, is so easy to press LS accidentally and activate it.

- Birthday Cake becomes A LOT easir if you use B+X (or Circle + Square) to stun the enemies and send them far away. The running zombies turn their attention to you once they got hit, and no more zombies appear if you haven't finished yet the ones that appeared. That way, you can take your time in killing them

- I'm playing on Very Hard right now and I'm at Zed. The boss fights looks much more strategy-oriented. I don't like it. The bosses have temporarity immunity in a lot of moves, if you try to attack them in certain moves they'll attack you, and you can only attack when they give you space in their defenses. This is actually my most hated boss fight type. This makes fighting bosses SO. MUCH. LONG. AND. TIRESOME.

Stop right now because all the Bosses are like that...personnaly I loved the Boss fight in the game but because of the Baseball Zombie I played the game on easy from that point on...kudos on playing the game on very hard hehe...and I agree about the Nick Ticket but you can cancel out of it by pressing B or O I guess on PS3...

dokish

Banned
Stop right now because all the Bosses are like that...

Yeah. I also loved them on normal, but when you play on Very Hard your attacks takes so little HP, and there are few opportunities to hit them, so gets kind of annoying.

Very Hard is actually not THAT hard, especially with all the upgrades that are carried over. Is challenging. But I also can see the Stage 5 being pretty tough. What irritates me is that the most weak enemies can break your combos. Urrrgh! Even in Prologue, I would start some combo and their attack would stop me.

Anyway, I'm having a blast. Will try to get some achievements.

--

Any words on Suda51's about the game post-release? How much copies did it sold?

dokish

Banned
Grasshopper has stated on twitter they have no intention to release the skins as paid dlc.

That's a shame. I rather pay for costumes DLC than have this exclusive store BS. Everybody should have the opportunity to have them. :(

Just finished Stage 3 on Very Hard. Damn, that was... hard. Vikke takes so little damage.

Is really tough to beat Dad's score? I'm look at the achievements and they look fairly "easy" to get, with the exception of beating Dad's score. The mp3 and full upgrade achievements only take a lot of replays (that I'll gladly do it). Also the ones with zombie kills and medals.

Holy mother of...

NSFW

http://donthatethegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/jnlc.jpg

Games like Call of Duty, Max Payne and the like have become pretty damn serious. Although stellar examples of how far games have come, they’ve also become shining examples of how far away they’ve gone away from past favorites. I’ll play those games to experience the evolution but once I “beat” them, I’m done. They end up leaving me with almost no real lasting impression – sad, I know.

Firing up Lollipop Chainsaw and trying to beat the high scores of each level takes me back to days long past where we’d sit around, looking for every last warp pipe, star and hidden coin. Where we did everything we could to bust our friend’s scores, have a little good-natured joking and go back at it. Something that has definitely been lost in today’s hyper-competitive online multiplayer world.
http://donthatethegeek.com/2012/06/13/lollipop-chainsaw-i-learned-love-games-again/#more-25379

Kazzy

Just finished Stage 3 on Very Hard. Damn, that was... hard. Vikke takes so little damage.

That sounds like it could be a good thing, because I found the bosses to be laughably easy on normal.

Is really tough to beat Dad's score? I'm look at the achievements and they look fairly "easy" to get, with the exception of beating Dad's score. The mp3 and full upgrade achievements only take a lot of replays (that I'll gladly do it). Also the ones with zombie kills and medals.

I'm pretty sure you can beat Dad's score whilst bumping down the difficulty, so then it just becomes a case of herding all the zombies for your score. I would guess the only challenge that would present itself in such a scenario, is the lack of enemies.

Alx

I just started playing the game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The tone of the game is great, the gameplay is good (but perfectible).. If anything I think the levels are a bit too long, they should have made more of them, but shorter. Sometimes I would have liked to play a level again to get a better score or farm medals, but I stopped at the idea of spending so much time in them. For now I've only been replaying the prologue from time to time.

I still need to get accustomed to the game mechanics though. On my first replay of the prologue, I got a huge score because almost all of my "armadillo attacks" (A,A,X) granted me a bonus for multiple kills, but I couldn't do it again on the next playthroughs.
I don't know what the "Nick tickets" are about, either. I tried the minigame twice but failed them, and didn't bother to buy more tickets.

I did the baseball mini-game at the first attempt, I literally never moved from the spot where you start.

Heh, it didn't even come to my mind that you could move from that spot... :p

Kazzy

I don't know what the "Nick tickets" are about, either. I tried the minigame twice but failed them, and didn't bother to buy more tickets.

Heh, it didn't even come to my mind that you could move from that spot... :p

Yep, especially when you consider it is supposed to resemble baseball. It was mainly the complaints on here that pointed it out though, with people saying they were running around and trying all sorts of nonsense to try and make it through. But then again, I failed the second game of zombie basketball, which seems to be a complete non-issue for everyone else.

And as for the Nick tickets, they basically give you a chance to initiate a special attack, whether that be a mass stun, or simply something practical like an instant revival. The majority of the Nick moves are naturally unlocked as the story progresses, but there are a couple that need to be bought. The tickets definitely become more useful once you have expanded the techniques, making it pretty impossible not to land on something.

Like most things in Lollipop Chainsaw, none of this really become apparent until you've been playing a while, which ends up leaving a bad first impression. Unfortunate, but it's there.

dokish

Banned
EDIT: Useful tip to kill
Killabilly
: Every time you shoot his eyes he vomits on you, right? And you have to move so you don't get hit. BUT! There's a way to kill him ultra fast. Everytime you shot his eye, movie left or right right away, and he will vomit in the position you were! Meaning, you can uninterruptedly damage him.

EDIT2: I think the best way to kills zombies efficiently for the Ranking Mode is B+X to stun and then A (low attack animation consumes less time than Y) when facing strong zombies (with name) and X, X, X, X, Y, Y, Y when facing groups of zombies. You just have to learn the correct timing and animation to kill really fast any wave that comes at you.

dokish

Banned
Ok guys. My last bump. Just posting because I got all the achievements! This is the first time I got all of them in a game!

I'll also post everything I think about it:

Lots of replayability. This isn't just a "short" game, its also REALLY REALLY fun. That means that you will gladly replay it several times, and you will be awarded for that. Collecting lollipop wraps is really fun and also collection medals to upgrade Juliet. I probably put more than 10 hours in this game, and I wish that were more stuff to collect and do! Seriously. I'm not done yet with Juliet. I want more of her and her crazy family and obviously Nick. Everything feels fresh in this game. I really hope that it sells well and Suda51 decide to do a sequel or spiritual sequel. But I really wanna a direct sequel.

The voice actors are top notch in this one. Can't complain. One of few examples of perfection in a game. The menus are beautiful. The start screen where you select Options, Difficulty etc... then the "world map" and etc. Everything is so nice to just look at. I really like the fact that the whole game happens in a day. Juliet wakes up one morning to go to school and by the end
you are going back home to your birthday cake that your mother has been cooking all day

This will definitely pop up in my TOP 5 of 2012. Seriously, give it a try.

Alx

EDIT2: I think the best way to kills zombies efficiently for the Ranking Mode is B+X to stun and then A (low attack animation consumes less time than Y) when facing strong zombies (with name) and X, X, X, X, Y, Y, Y when facing groups of zombies. You just have to learn the correct timing and animation to kill really fast any wave that comes at you.

Really ? ;)

I really need to get back to this game ; I haven't started stage 4 yet...

EYEL1NER

I just got this tonight, its actually pretty damn amazing.
Yep. I haven't played it in a while though and that makes me sad. I just can't put up with it locking up after every level.
I should really try it now after downloading the Xbox Fall Dash Beta. It's a longshot but the dash is faster now. Maybe some wrongs inside that case got righted and everything will be improved just a bit.

But probably not :'(

Yep. I haven't played it in a while though and that makes me sad. I just can't put up with it locking up after every level.
I should really try it now after downloading the Xbox Fall Dash Beta. It's a longshot but the dash is faster now. Maybe some wrongs inside that case got righted and everything will be improved just a bit.

But probably not :'(

No lock ups for me after a few hours of playing. >.>

see5harp

This game is terrible. Terrible script. So repetitive and the mini games that comprise 50% of the game.....really? I'm surprised they actually pretend that a writer came up with these scenarios. The way they move you from place to place is much worse than anything I've seen this gen in a COD campaign.

Alx

Just finished normal mode yesterday... great experience. When I started the game I feared that the boss would be tedious, but they're rather fun to fight. Took me a while to figure out what to do with the final one,
when he's holding you in his hand and spits monsters at you.
I'll need to grind a few medals for more combos and costumes, now (I like the
Mom
outfit a lot, especially for that haircut).
I had the "bad" ending, since I don't remember doing anything wrong I suppose it's the one you always get first. What does it take to get the good one ? Beat all the stages in hard ? Or only the final one ? Or just finish it again ?
*edit : just looked it up, I have to save all "civilians"... ok, another thing to add to my list. :)

This game is terrible. Terrible script. So repetitive and the mini games that comprise 50% of the game.....really? I'm surprised they actually pretend that a writer came up with these scenarios. The way they move you from place to place is much worse than anything I've seen this gen in a COD campaign.

I think the stupid script is part of the point of the game. Stupid settings, stupid characters, stupid weapons, lots of fun. Did you really expect some deep story from a game where you play a cheerleader wielding a pink chainsaw ?

see5harp

There's a difference between a silly game with great execution like Bayonetta and a silly game that is poorly made like Lollipop Chainsaw. The graphics are poor, the combat is repetitive and unfun (shooting was particularly bad), the script unfunny, the loads frequent, I can't think of a single minigame that was enjoyable...there's just so much to dislike here. The bosses were basically all identical and aside from the novel idea of having each boss a different type of genre, I didn't find any of them well made.

There's a difference between a silly game with great execution like Bayonetta and a silly game that is poorly made like Lollipop Chainsaw. The graphics are poor, the combat is repetitive and unfun (shooting was particularly bad), the script unfunny, the loads frequent, I can't think of a single minigame that was enjoyable...there's just so much to dislike here. The bosses were basically all identical and aside from the novel idea of having each boss a different type of genre, I didn't find any of them well made.

You're just a boring person.

Alx

You're right, I figured it out last evening. You need to go to the pause menu during a stage, and not in the main menu. Not very intuitive, but at least once you get there it tells you how many you missed (and in what order) for all stages, which is convenient. It turned out I had only missed one in stage 5, it was quick to correct.

Top Bottom