• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lottery Guys Nicki Minaj has Started paying tuition fees of her broke fans!

gruenel

Not disagreeing necessarily but, education is free. Higher level education though is something else. Should all education be free? All forms of training at any level for any skill etc?

Tertiary education should absolutely be free and actually is free in many countries around the globe. I'm sure you'll come up with a reason why the US is totally different though!

Zubz

Banned
That's fantastic of her!

This is gonna end up with "This is why we cant have nice things" scenario.

Probably, but I'm sincerely hoping she cuts it off soon enough to prevent anything like... However this could go poorly. I'm not even sure how other than people forging a loan, but if people are giving her their bank info, couldn't some other party find a way to see that info & steal from them?

Again, though, I hope it doesn't & trust that Minaj knows what she's doing better than me.

Shiloa

Which is?
I posed that education is free (in US) but to a certain level. The question I made was at what point is it justifiable to keep education free.

You state that education is a net benefit to the country and population. The stretch there is: "what education?" Undergraduate level? Masters level? PhD? Yes? All courses at all levels? Everyone should have total free access to MAs in Baking Technology Management? What about more skill-based courses? Qualifications in hair & makeup? EFL teacher training? Yoga classes? And should it be free to everyone? To tax payers? To certain age groups? Based on income thresholds?

Does having all of those free provide a "net benefit to the country and population"? Or are there times where the cost to fund would be better spent elsewhere?

Again referring to my initial post, I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not as clear cut as education = free.
Tertiary education should absolutely be free and actually is free in many countries around the globe. I'm sure you'll come up with a reason why the US is totally different though!
No need to be a smartass: I have no allegiance to the incumbent US system. I'm European so currently have access to said free tertiary education you are referring to.

I posed that education is free (in US) but to a certain level. The question I made was at what point is it justifiable to keep education free.

You state that education is a net benefit to the country and population. The stretch there is: "what education?" Undergraduate level? Masters level? PhD? Yes? All courses at all levels? Everyone should have total free access to MAs in Baking Technology Management? What about more skill-based courses? Qualifications in hair & makeup? EFL teacher training? Yoga classes? And should it be free to everyone? To tax payers? To certain age groups? Based on income thresholds?

Does having all of those free provide a "net benefit to the country and population"? Or are there times where the cost to fund would be better spent elsewhere?

Well yeah, I really do think that every type of education should be free and for every citizen. Limiting to age group would be counter productive since you usually go back to school when your work sector doesn't provide enough jobs and you want to work.YouI'll then go in a work sector where jobs are wanted and needed which end up being a positive for society. Then you can regulate everything with entrance examination.

Top Bottom