• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low poly love [WARNING - Image Intensive]

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Shocked to NOT see this:

vagrant-story-1-o.gif

QBXAA.gif

latest

vagrant-story-2.jpg

This, Silent Hill and FF9 are probably the best-looking PS1 poly-based games.

Jaeger

Sega Model 2 era was the height of this style.

Motor Raid
Motor%20Raid.png

Gunblade NY
gb2.jpg

Low-poly but looked so much cleaner than the home console titles of the time.

I have never even heard of these games. Now I have to research. Gorgeous models.

That's because 99% of this thread is cheating. PS1 graphics looked nothing like the upressed, AA versions seen here.

Most of the images show games unaltered. The only difference is that they are images taken by direct capture, and you are not viewing them through an old CRT television. The games (and therefore) models themselves have not been altered. At least, with most of the images I posted.

RedSwirl

Silent Hill 1 probably needs to be posted more. I played that game for the first time around 2008 or so and was still impressed with its art direction. It had a lot of care put into its textures and environments.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Silent Hill 1 probably needs to be posted more. I played that game for the first time around 2008 or so and was still impressed with its art direction. It had a lot of care put into its textures and environments.

Some of the the sewer sections where your flashlight "reflects" off the water still sells the environment really well. They leveraged every technical shortcoming to work in their favor in that game. It was like...expressionism but with pixels instead of paint.

Absolutely love low poly graphics, especially PS1 and Quake-era PC games, and of course SEGA's arcade games are the GOAT. I think PS1 graphics aged better than N64 graphics, although I preferred the latter back then.

Just like anything else, I don't think you can be honest by saying "everything from that era is ugly/awesome". It's just down to the art direction. Crash Bandicoot and MGS had style beyond just being a product of their time. Plenty of games did look like ass, sure, but you can say that of any generation.

Actually, to be more accurate, realism gets dated and stylized art direction is more likely to endure. Which is why say, Mega Man 2 looks better today than Contra.

AwShucks

I love PS1 graphics. Some people claim they can't go back and play the games because they are "ugly" but I never have that issue. I'm more inclined to go back to PS1 or NES games than I am PS2/PS3.

RM8

I love PS1 graphics. Some people claim they can't go back and play the games because they are "ugly" but I never have that issue. I'm more inclined to go back to PS1 or NES games than I am PS2/PS3.
I honestly can go back to basically any era :/ I can play new PC games with high settings and going back to archaic hardware and it doesn't bother me one bit.

Jaeger

Just like anything else, I don't think you can be honest by saying "everything from that era is ugly/awesome". It's just down to the art direction. Crash Bandicoot and MGS had style beyond just being a product of their time. Plenty of games did look like ass, sure, but you can say that of any generation.

Actually, to be more accurate, realism gets dated and stylized art direction is more likely to endure. Which is why say, Mega Man 2 looks better today than Contra.

I think you hit it right on the head, actually. Although it varies from game to game. But really the rule, but something we can take away with a large number of titles from the era. Games like Resident Evil (which were "realistic") still look great.

Various FFIX models:
blackwaltz2.gif

Notice that the unfiltered textures look better

Yup. This one in particular is just amazing.

CTLance

To be honest, I'm far far far FAR more in love with 16Bit pixel art. That said, between the shaded-to-hell supermegapolycount models of today and the barely working early 3D days that pushed artists to their limits I'll always side with the limited early works. Mostly because I am a firm subscriber to the "limitation breeds excellence" mantra, but also because I have a thing for stylized art.

Cheating:

RM8

The blocky maps in FFT were so nice looking, especially combined with the awesome sprites :]

gfs_42153_2_16_mid.jpg

Hoshigami too:

332505-hoshigami_005.jpg

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think you hit it right on the head, actually. Although it varies from game to game. But really the rule, but something we can take away with a large number of titles from the era. Games like Resident Evil (which were "realistic") still look great.

blackwaltz2.gif

Yup. This one in particular is just amazing.

I think it's a good example of the kind of style barely seen on N64. Of course, it probably wouldn't have been possible on PSX either without pre rendered backgrounds.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Isn't that an in-battle model? You know, for the fully 3D battles that PSX Final Fantasy games have?

You're right. So replace "pre-rendered backgrounds" with "a limited scope highly optimized for a very particular scenario". The point was it's not something you could normally do with any type of game. Also I seem to remember FFIX using pre-rendered backgrounds for some of the GFs and stuff in battle mode.

AESplusF

holy shit these are awesome
is anyone selling them?
are they based on the actual models?

These particular figures were pulled from the store they were being sold on because Square Enix gave them a cease and desist.

It's possible that they are being sold somewhere else though, you would need to look.
They are literally 3D prints of the actual in game models.

Shifty1897

The blocky maps in FFT were so nice looking, especially combined with the awesome sprites :]

gfs_42153_2_16_mid.jpg

Hoshigami too:

332505-hoshigami_005.jpg

Fueled by my love of FFT, I picked up Hoshigami one day after no research.

I hate that game. Low poly maps still looked good though.

Mman235

Since the thread was linked earlier I guess I'll quote the thing I posted in another early 3D thread about how it will likely look (at least when more games with defined textures come along, compared to the mostly flat-shaded look that currently used):

I thought I put together a small selection of shots from modern mods for various games to show a vague approximation of how a modern early 3D game would actually look like, rather than the PS1/N64 type mess people seem to think they would be (also listed the game and mod name). Of course there's plenty more of this out there, and a couple of these arguably aren't even the best of the best visually:

(Doom - Sunder)

(Quake - Map Jam 2 Tronyn's map)

(Tomb Raider - Mists of Avalon)

(Unreal - Don't Shoot the Chest)

(Unreal - Project Zephon)

Edit: Added another Unreal shot because I thought the first didn't have a very good angle. I've still kept the old one though.

AESplusF

Chrono Cross, the resolution was so low that it still sort of looked like pixel graphics, but better
68-kill51.jpg
7-jurassic22.jpg
a4Mlk.png

Sorry, I keep posting to this thread as a way of procrastinating my finals.

WillyFive

Yeah. I never had a fondness for N64's style. PSX's non-filtered felt grittier and more authentic, whereas N64 felt like alpha builds with stretched textures and glossy sheens.

Interesting, I always felt the opposite.

When I was young it seemed like PS1 graphics were broken/unfinished because of the un-smoothed textures and the messed-up polygons; as if they were incomplete or missing stuff. Turns out that was pretty accurate (missing texture filtering, AA, and depth correction).

Even today unfiltered textures feel cold, and makes me wish I could turn on 3D Acceleration or something like that.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I really liked the 80s toy robot aesthetic of Virtual On, which seems like it stylistically could have developed out of low polygon constraints.

virtualonpc-1.jpg

Virtual%20On%20-%20Cyber%20Troopers%20(E).jpg

virtual-10.png

virtual-2.png

Clawww

I think this was from someone in GAF:

mk1group.jpg

I think I realize why I like low-poly so much: It reminds me of action figures, like GI Joes. something about knowing where the points of articulation can be. Such as these MK renders above. Reminds me of the MK action figures I had growing up.

the toy-like aspect is really what I love also

pottuvoi

Banned
Yep. The original, unaltered image on the left is the superior one. It loses all of it's charm with the muddy, smoothed out textures. These should be viewed as they are, in the format they were meant to be viewed at. They are indeed art. They lose all of their charm if seen any other way.
Indeed, point-sampled/Nearest neighbor textures are the better choice in those games.
Sadly Ps1 version didn't have sub-pixel precision rendering and texture minification filtering was crap, so it looked bad in movement.

I'm pretty sure that the nearest-neighbor filtering with 16xAF, sub-pixel precision and perhaps pixel perfect AA would be the way to go with modern hardware.
SSAA would be important, as it would give those point-sampled textures sub-pixel movement information. (most noticeable in completely vertical or horizontal texel edges.)

Nessus

Oddly enough I prefer the PSX style to N64, which I thought looked better at the time.

Now N64 the textures just look blurry and muddy and have not aged well, whereas I sorta like the obvious pixels in the textures for stuff like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill on PSX.

Oddly enough I prefer the PSX style to N64, which I thought looked better at the time.

Now N64 the textures just look blurry and muddy and have not aged well, whereas I sorta like the obvious pixels in the textures for stuff like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill on PSX.

I feel exactly the same way. Used to prefer the N64 graphics at the time but I now prefer the PSX style. I think it had to do with the main N64 characters being alittle better rendered and maybe the faster cart loading. But now the blurry mess backgrounds of the N64 just look terrible compared to the cleaner psx.

Mr_Zombie

Low poly models with either cell-shading/cartoony textures or high-res high-detail textures with good IQ and lighting - yes, I wouldn't mind if it was the next big thing in the indie community.

bosseye

Low poly awesomeness. And to think, when I played some of the games in this thread on release all I saw was amazing graphics.

other-consoles-43816-21336822529.png
#

latest

I've never been more scared of anything in this world than the fiends in Quake. *shudder*

Mr_Zombie

I'm surprised no one posted anything from Monument Valley yet in this thread:

Low poly awesomeness. And to think, when I played some of the games in this thread on release all I saw was amazing graphics.

other-consoles-43816-21336822529.png

I loved zombies' textures from the original RE1. They were grotesque and gruesome at the same time. A lot better than what we got in RE2 (yellow people with blood on their faces :|).

118.png
114.png
115.png

Top Bottom