• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Arrested Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Spire said:
There is a literal ton of foreshadowing to that in season two. Hooks, hands, and seals abound.

Oh believe me, I know the truth now. I've probably watched it over a dozen times.

adelante

Tntnnbltn said:
I love the "Sally... Stickwell" line by GOB. :D
"Right....because the guys wanted to stick it to me"

I"m on my fifth rewatch and it just occured to me that Sally Sitwell was played by Ben Stiller's wife! hahaha And I can't believe i had missed George Michael looking intently at Lindsay's nose after learning from his father that it was fake...

ultron87

OnPoint said:
Oh believe me, I know the truth now. I've probably watched it over a dozen times.

All of the foreshadowing is amazing.

My two favorites involve Rita. I think in the first episode of season three Michael is talking to George Michael and says something along the lines of "I don't have a girl, much less a stupid one."

And then there's a part where Rita is sitting on a bench with a Wee Britain sign. But she is covering up the "it" so it says Wee Brain.

Simply glorious.

Oozer3993

adelante said:
"Right....because the guys wanted to stick it to me"

I"m on my fifth rewatch and it just occured to me that Sally Sitwell was played by Ben Stiller's wife! hahaha And I can't believe i had missed George Michael looking intently at Lindsay's nose after learning from his father that it was fake...

When looking at the picture of "Nelly" and Michael as kids in the family photo album, Lindsay says "Look at the beak on that bird." It turns out its her. I love this show :D

ultron87 said:
All of the foreshadowing is amazing.

My two favorites involve Rita. I think in the first episode of season three Michael is talking to George Michael and says something along the lines of "I don't have a girl, much less a stupid one."

OMG, 5 viewings and I never caught that.

And then there's a part where Rita is sitting on a bench with a Wee Britain sign. But she is covering up the "it" so it says Wee Brain.

Simply glorious.

And then there's Buster sitting on a bench to turn Army Official into Arm Off.

Jasoco

Banned
You know, the first episode has Lucille say the following:

"I dipped into the kitty a few times". Referring to taking money from the company to buy things.

Foreshadowing the episodes when we find out that George Sr. had been "dipping into the Kitty" all the time. Referring to screwing the secretary.

"You know what? You guys have had your hands in the company coffin for years" *Drum beats start playing in the background* "and starting tomorrow, there is going to be a new boss in town and you're all gonna have to start fending for yourselves. You're all gonna feel that sweet sting of sweat in your eyes as Buster... you can't do that on the balcony, buddy?"
"...Mom says it's too windy..."

God, thanks a lot guys. Now I am going to be watching this all for the next two days.

"Certainly the smartest Bluth. My favorite Bluth. And the sexiest.. creature.. I have ever laid eyes on.."
*Michael's face looks confused*
"..My lovely wife, Lucille!"

mrsfeatherbottom-1.gif

I think I literally started crying at this scene it was so goddamn funny.

Jasoco

Banned
"Well I'm sorry, it's just too late. I'm really sorry. I'm moving to Phoenix, I got a job........... something you apply for, and then they pay you to uh.. nevermind I don't wanna ruin the surprise."

God.. now I'm on Top Banana. And even though I've seen it a million times, I love every single scene of every single episode.

"Wow!! I'm Mr. Manager!"
"Well, Manager. We just say Manager."
"It's up to me now, I'm Mr. Manager."

Oh... and "Well, I don't know what I expected."

"All I found in the freezer was a dead dove in a bag."
"You didn't eat that, did you? Because I only have a couple days to return it."

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
rex64 said:
what what????

I so don't remember this episode

Motherboy XXX

EDIT : Daaaaamn, beaten by Blader. He's a fellow Comic-book gaffer so I won't hold him any grudge :p

Jasoco

Banned
I have a question about the music in the show. There are two songs I really want to get a hold of:

The first and least important is that one that goes "Hey, whatcha tryin' to say to me?". The first time it is played is in the final scene of the first episode when Michael is talking about Lindsay and Tobias coming to live with them, and when he mentions Maeby will be living in his room.

And the second is my favorite. It plays in Top Banana for the first time when GOB is trying to "dramatically throw the letter into the ocean". It sounds like something out of Katamari Damacy. I love it. What the hell is it? And where can I find it?

There are more. I'm sure. But that second one is my favorite. And I want it.

Spasm

One of my all-time favorite jokes:

<Gob> The Seaward!
<Michael> You're not gettin' a boat.
<Gob> 1, 2, 3... Paper covers rock.
<Michael> Fine, but rock sinks boat.
<Lucille> Michael?
<Michael> Mom, I'm right in the middle of something. [To Gob] Get rid of the Seaward.
<Lucille> I'll leave when I'm good and ready.

Jasoco

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
The first one is Leroy - "Gonna Get Together"

Second one is "A mágica do mar" (vocals: Katia Moraes). It's part of the original songs special feature on the S1 DVD (Disc 1).
Thanks! I'll have to check it out when I get my discs back.

I love how they foreshadowed Steve Holt being Maeby's cousin in the third episode. Even though we don't actually find out until the third season.

ultron87

*Rita walks across pool*

"Was that one of your tricks?"

"No Michael, it wasn't..."

Next Time on Arrested Development:

"It was one of my illusions!" *fireball*

*screaming*

"Why am I not going underwater!??!"

By far my favorite "Next Time"

Tntnnbltn

Jasoco said:
And the second is my favorite. It plays in Top Banana for the first time when GOB is trying to "dramatically throw the letter into the ocean". It sounds like something out of Katamari Damacy. I love it. What the hell is it? And where can I find it?
Tntnnbltn said:
Second one is "A mágica do mar" (vocals: Katia Moraes). It's part of the original songs special feature on the S1 DVD (Disc 1).
I just ran it through Google Translate. It means "A Magical Sea". :lol :lol

Struct09

Lucille: How's my son?
Doctor: He's going to be all right.
Lindsay Funke: Finally some good news from this guy.
George Michael Bluth: There's no other way to take that.
Doctor: That's a great attitude. I got to tell you, if I was getting this news, I don't know that I'd take it this well.
Lucille: But you said he was all right.
Doctor: Yes, he's lost his left hand. So he's going to be "all right."
Lucille: [Jumping on the doctor] You son of a bitch! I hate this doctor!

artist

Banned
Struct09 said:
Doctor: That's a great attitude. I got to tell you, if I was getting this news, I don't know that I'd take it this well.
The tears are flowing .. man fuck Fox.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, sadly I gotta agree with him there. No one was watching it. But then again, there's Tobias' rant about how Fox never advertised for the show and kept moving its timeslot.

Struct09 said:

He's a very literal man

Jasoco

Banned
"Oh, stop booing! There is nothing wrong with that! There are dozens of us.. DOZENS!"

You can tell where I am in the series by the quotes I post.

Downhome

ultron87 said:
*Rita walks across pool*

"Was that one of your tricks?"

"No Michael, it wasn't..."

Next Time on Arrested Development:

"It was one of my illusions!" *fireball*

*screaming*

"Why am I not going underwater!??!"

By far my favorite "Next Time"

Michael: Hey, hey! Hang on a sec. That’s part of your trick, right?

G.O.B.: No. That’s not my trick, Michael.

Narrator: On the next Arrested Development...

G.O.B.: It’s my illusion.

Narrator: ... Michael relives a wedding nightmare.

Buster: Oh, put him out, put him out!

Tobias: My hair, my beautiful hair!

Michael: Push him in the pool.

Thud.

Tobias: Why am I not going under water? Dear God, why am I not going under water?

The above is one of my favorite comedic moments ever. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did the first time I saw the above part in bold, my God. Just the mixture of how special the ending of the episode was presented, leading you to believe that GOB was talking about some divine miracle, and then cutting to him saying "It's my illusion", the look on his face, the timing, everything.

Then from there it just continued, the insanity, ending with Tobias with his "Why am I not going under water? Dear God, why am I not going under water?" yelling.

That was just perfection, period.

artist

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
Fuck Fox? I commend them for keeping a show that basically was being watched by NO ONE on the air for three seasons. Fuck the viewers who didn't tune in.

Anyone defending Fox's dumb decision is idiotic prick.
wikipedia said:
The show, while critically acclaimed, did not gain a sizable audience.[1] According to the Nielsen Ratings system, U.S. ratings in the second season averaged about six million viewers, while the third season averaged about four million viewers.[18] To promote their re-broadcast of the animated series Family Guy, FOX announced that it would halt the production of the second season at eighteen episodes – four episodes short of the planned season. Despite rumors that this was a prelude to cancellation, the network defended its actions, claiming that the show would fare poorly during network sweeps period, and that it was simply a procedural matter. The show's writers did, however, parody this in the episode "Sword of Destiny," which aired in March 2005: in the beginning of the episode, Michael is complaining because the Bluth Company's order to design and build 22 homes has been cut down to 18 homes. Later in the episode, FOX is parodied when a website is swamped with popup ads about Family Guy.

For the third season, FOX positioned the show at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT and 7:00 p.m. CT/MT, directly opposite Monday Night Football in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, whereas MNF would not have started yet in the other two. Ratings were even worse than previous seasons. On November 9, 2005, FOX announced that the show would not be airing in November sweeps, and that they had cut the episode order for the third season from 22 to 13. FOX ended up showing the last four episodes in a two-hour timeslot—directly opposite the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Winter Olympics. As a result, the finale received only 3.3 million viewers.

Yeah, I'm not gonna defend Fox on this one. I think you can only thank the few viewers that did watch every week... they kept it going as long as they did because they bought so many DVDs.

I personally bought 8 copies of Season 1 for other people as a gift, beyond just the one for myself :lol

God I miss that show :(

irfan said:
Yeah, FOX seems to have done everything to make sure people did not watch the show.

But it still baffles me that there were about 6 million viewers in the second season, and 4 million in the third. How the fuck do you watch this show, and than decide to not follow it anymore. THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!

You would think that a show like this would gain traction just because of it's quality. But I guess (!!elitist alert) the humor was too intelligent and subtle for the average viewer. I mean, there isn't even an laugh track! How are we supposed to know when to laugh!!??

irfan said:

Your quote pretty much validates Fox's decision to cancel it. Its ratings were piss poor, and they did all they could to advertise it. By season 3, Mitchell Hurwitz had informed the producers that this would be his last season, knowing that the Fox advertisers had absolutely no reason to give it a popular timeslot. You should be thankful it was even given a 2nd season.

irfan said:

Speaking of idiotic pricks.

Let me show you the light (shamelessly stolen from someone else):

Before the series premiered, it was advertised more heavily than ANY Fox show new or otherwise, except for 24. You couldn't go more than 10 pitches in the baseball playoffs between shameless plugs for Arrested Development and 24. Between the announcers reading promos for it or the rotating billboards behind home plate, baseball fans knew about it. And that is the same demographic as AD. young males.

As for the time slot..again...*****. They had a very good time slot the first season. And it got respectable numbers the first episode. (Because of the advertising, no doubt.) And guess what? IMMEDIATELY the ratings tanked. I know you are an idiot and want to believe that EVERYONE who watched the show got hooked, but reality just simply doesn't agree with you. (I think that is probably an ongoing thing in your life.) Something like 3 million fewer people were watching by just the FIFTH episode.

During the first season, Fox tried EVERYTHING to get new viewers. They did several mini-marathons that were heavily promoted, and did a full blow marathon on FX airing every single episode up to that point. didn't work. they then tried airing it after American Idol. Yes, not really their demographic, but the fact of the matter is, they held on to like 15% of the AI audience. A TEST pattern would have done better.

For season 2, they gave it the BEST time slot that a comedy could have. Fox's best night for comedy was Sunday, and they put it on Sunday.

By season 3, the writing was already on the wall. You can't blame Fox for anything they did in season 3 because NO other network would have given it a season 2, let alone a season three. Most networks would have cancelled the show mid season of season 1 based on those ratings.

Talladega Knight said:
Speaking of idiotic pricks.

Let me show you the light (shamelessly stolen from someone else):

Good information, and stuff I already knew... I think it's just easier to demonize the faceless "Fox" than to walk around knowing that people are too stupid to know what is funny without a laugh track telling them, or whatever.

Oozer3993

Downhome said:
Michael: Hey, hey! Hang on a sec. That’s part of your trick, right?

G.O.B.: No. That’s not my trick, Michael.

Narrator: On the next Arrested Development...

G.O.B.: It’s my illusion.

Narrator: ... Michael relives a wedding nightmare.

Buster: Oh, put him out, put him out!

Tobias: My hair, my beautiful hair!

Michael: Push him in the pool.

Thud.

Tobias: Why am I not going under water? Dear God, why am I not going under water?

The above is one of my favorite comedic moments ever. I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as I did the first time I saw the above part in bold, my God. Just the mixture of how special the ending of the episode was presented, leading you to believe that GOB was talking about some divine miracle, and then cutting to him saying "It's my illusion", the look on his face, the timing, everything.

Then from there it just continued, the insanity, ending with Tobias with his "Why am I not going under water? Dear God, why am I not going under water?" yelling.

That was just perfection, period.

I watched that episode with a couple friends and we were all in tears at that part. I'm right with you. That is one of my favorite jokes ever, in any medium.

artist

Banned
Only if I had a time machine I would go back and spam the hell out so that people saw this awesome show but I cant and can only blame Fox. :p Besides the reason that majority of the audience has a shitty taste. (-quote from Amirox)

Also I didnt realise the hidden joke of cutting the number of homes down from 22 to 18 until today. :(

Jasoco

Banned
"Are you making dinner reservations?"
"Oh, no. That was my mom. She just had a little Korean dropped off."
"Mm, that sounds good. Let's have that!"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I've been non-stop rewatching the show the last couple weeks and it just gets better and better. I think Lucille is my favourite character. Every single time she is onscreen i crack up laughing at her facial expressions or her line delivery without fail (this applies to all the characters, but she does it the most!). Her jabs at Lindsay are just classic. Jessica Walter is just brilliant.

LUCILLEDOORSHUT.gif

wink.gif

scream.gif

:lol <3 Lucille.

cashman

Banned
irfan said:
Also I didnt realise the hidden joke of cutting the number of homes down from 22 to 18 until today. :(
There's also a not so subtle joke, about the same type of thing in the SOB episode. Michael says something along the lines of not even the HBO (home builders organization) will save us.

cashman said:
There's also a not so subtle joke, about the same type of thing in the SOB episode. Michael says something along the lines of not even the HBO (home builders organization) will save us.

Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's Showtime. I think we have to have a show during dinner.

cashman

Banned
timetokill said:
Michael: Yeah, the HBO's not gonna want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it's Showtime. I think we have to have a show during dinner.
ha! I didn't even notice the second part. The writer's on this show were legendary.
And showtime did offer them a spot, but hurwitz said he was done.

Well, he was done if they didn't pay him more money. And they wouldn't, so he was done.

I remember an interview where he basically said that he wasn't getting paid enough to do the show. He also said he'd have loved to continue working on it, but the pay just wasn't there for the amount of time he spent on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom