• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Arrested Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

Talladega Knight said:
Speaking of idiotic pricks.

Let me show you the light (shamelessly stolen from someone else):
Interesting stuff.

I wonder if the quality of the writing would have been maintained into a fourth season.

I'm not too fussed it's over. All three season were AAA+ Platinum, and there have been shows I've given up on after the third season, so perhaps it was a good run.

ultron87

Newspaper Headline: Bob Loblaw Lobs Law Bomb

Tobias: "The 'Bob Loblaw Law Blog.' Wow. You, sir, are a mouthful!"

I love that this thread happens like once a month around these parts.

yodandy

Saint10118 said:
mrsfeatherbottom-1.gif

I think I literally started crying at this scene it was so goddamn funny.

ditto, was watching with a friend going through the whole series, we were laughing so hard tears came out, it lasted for about 5-6 minutes, we had to pause and then rewatch a few times, so awesome.

Jasoco

Banned
Narrator: "Back at the model home, three of the Bluth men struggled with their manliness.."
George Michael: "You know I make these jokes about being a daughter for my dad. I know I'm a man. It's his insecurity, not mine."
G.O.B.: "There's no security at that store, that's how she was able to shoplift! They probably don't even have a regular security guard!"
Tobias: "Well of course I could get a job as a security guard if I have to have a job to impress my daughter. If she needs something that butch."
George Michael: "Yeah, I could hang out with my uncles. I mean three men, what's butcher than that?"
G.O.B.: "I'm going to the mall.."
Tobias: "Yeah, me too..."
George Michael: "Yeh, maybe a new pair of shoes will cheer me up..."

Watch it. It's funnier on video: http://www.hulu.com/watch/583/arrested-development-not-without-my-daughter?c=442:473

I love it when there's a description of a person, and by trying to refute that discription, they confirm it.

Lucille:When's the last time you went on a date?

Michael: I just haven't met anybody who's not completely self-absorbed and impossible to have a conversation with.

Lucille:If that's a veiled criticism about me, I won't hear it and I won't respond to it.
Tobias: "You know, Mother Lucille, there's a psychological concept known as denial that I think you're evincing. It's when a thought is so hateful that the mind literally rejects it."

Lucille: "You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son-in-law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent."

Tobias: "Well, if she's not going to say anything, I certainly can't help her."

Same thing with Michael Bluth saying to Rita that you can't have a decent conversation with an American male because of their perpetual state of adolescence. And he doesn't even finish his sentence because he sees Rita's father, confirming the impossibility to have a "decent convo". :)

Jasoco

Banned
Lindsay: "That's not my father, that's my husband! My father's still in Mexico. I was just hoping to have sex with you!"
Tobias: "Why am I not blacking out?"

God. I love this show. And the constant Ann, Plant, Hog, Egg jokes are amazingly thought out.

"Check out who's on that hog in the mirror!"
"GEORGE MICHAEL?!?! ... Twenty miles to LEGOLand!"

Tntnnbltn

Souldriver said:
I love it when there's a description of a person, and by trying to refute that discription, they confirm it.
Semi-related...
Rita: I hate it when they hire Yanks to play Brits. You can always tell.​

Jasoco

Banned
I just noticed that the address of the Bluths model home is 1 Lucille Lane, Newport Coast, CA. That that George and Maeby's marriage document has a watermark of Arnold Schwartzeneggar on it.

G.O.B.: "The real problem is she said God is going to show me a sign.. The... something of my ways... probably wisdom."

Wow, thank you so much OP for reminding me. I've always been planning to watch this but i haven't gotten around to it until now. That said, I've nearly watched every episode in only a few days - I'm hooked on this show. I really hope it comes back on the air. I'm trying to savor the moment by trying to not watch every episode in one sitting but I'm almost done.

Amazing show. I wish I had heard of it sooner, but I had no idea it even existed until it was already cancelled.

FromTheFuture said:
I really hope it comes back on the air.

Pretty much impossible. Even if the movie does huge numbers, getting the cast together for the show as well as paying Hurwitz enough to do it is probably too prohibitive. Which is a huge shame.

Oozer3993 said:
Some one in one of the other AD threads said the writers were planning on revealing that Tobias was part black.
I didn't catch anything in the pilot about it, but in the beginning of Season 2 there are LOTS of hints at it that I would have NEVER caught if I hadn't know that they were planning it. The most glaring of which is in Afternoon Delight when...

Lindsay: They hear the name Tobias and they think of a big black man
Tobias: Well I'm certainly not a big man.
Lindsay: *looks confused*

Just started rewatching the series a few days ago specifically to look out for the Tobias is black hints, such a fucking amazing show. :lol :lol

Wow, that's quite cool! I think this is the only show I've seen that not only references past jokes but also future jokes.

And I also take back most of the bad things I said about season 3 - it is so much funnier the 2nd time of viewing. My main criticism of season 3 though is that it might have been too clever for its own good.

timetokill said:
Pretty much impossible. Even if the movie does huge numbers, getting the cast together for the show as well as paying Hurwitz enough to do it is probably too prohibitive. Which is a huge shame.
A man can dream...

God, after completing the entire series, i instantly want to rewatch it all over again. Thing is, all of it is extremely layered and the second time around really brings out a lot more. God i love this show. The problem is, i really want to see the movie but literally no one i know even knows this show exists. Can't wait for it, maybe i can have some of them watch it and see if they like it so i can get buddies for the movie.

I gotta say, my absolute FAVORITE line from the entire series is when Buster gets Franklin on and says, "I don't want no part of your tight-ass country club ya freak bitch!" I laughed so hard I was crying when I first heard that. :lol :lol :lol

WordAssassin said:
I gotta say, my absolute FAVORITE line from the entire series is when Buster gets Franklin on and says, "I don't want no part of your tight-ass country club ya freak bitch!" I laughed so hard I was crying when I first heard that. :lol :lol :lol
It's Busters face afterwards that seals it. As if he is surprised by what Franklin just said. :lol

Does anyone have that comparison gif of Henry Winkler (Barry Zuckerkorn) in front of the mirror in the bathroom, combing his hair and then sort of leaning back and shrugging, and then it shows him doing the exact same thing as the Fonz in Happy Days?

ruxtpin

Banned
Jasoco said:
George Michael: "Yeh, maybe a new pair of shoes will cheer me up..."

haha. I can't remember the episode, but I almost died when I was re-watching the one where it's George Michael's birthday. He gets Quicken software, or something like that, and not only asks for the receipt so he can claim the gift - but when he's running upstairs to try out his new software he slips because he's running so fast. It's just that giddiness one gets with a new toy, but it's acted so well. :lol

yodandy said:
ditto, was watching with a friend going through the whole series, we were laughing so hard tears came out, it lasted for about 5-6 minutes, we had to pause and then rewatch a few times, so awesome.

Have you ever laughed so hard you farted? Because that's what happened to me

Jasoco

Banned
ruxtpin said:
haha. I can't remember the episode, but I almost died when I was re-watching the one where it's George Michael's birthday. He gets Quicken software, or something like that, and not only asks for the receipt so he can claim the gift - but when he's running upstairs to try out his new software he slips because he's running so fast. It's just that giddiness one gets with a new toy, but it's acted so well. :lol
That's the one where they build Tiny Town and Tobias is a Mole... literally.

Episode 3x05: "Mr. F."

Bob Loblaw: "The Japanese are coming. Somebody tipped them off that the property wasn't ready for building."
Lucille: "Which it would have been if Michael hadn't been so busy with his... English Muffin."
G.O.B.: "Typical!"
Buster: "Delicious..."

The way Buster says "delicious" cracks me up every time! :lol

MC Safety

Saint10118 said:
mrsfeatherbottom-1.gif

I think I literally started crying at this scene it was so goddamn funny.

Oh, that Mrs. Featherbottom bit is amazing. That and the Gob/Buster burial trick scene always make me laugh out loud.

_sgray

Banned
I made the mistake of watching season 2 and 3 first and then season 1 in my latest viewing. It really shows how awful the first season is.

_sgray said:
I made the mistake of watching season 2 and 3 first and then season 1 in my latest viewing. It really shows how awful the first season is.

Maybe the first episode is a bit awkward (and it is) but the first season is anything but awful. They laid the groundwork for a ton of the jokes in the show, and indeed a lot of the most quoted lines are from that season. I mean we get the "Gob hurling the letter into the ocean" scene in the second episode for crying out loud :lol

artist

Banned
timetokill said:
Maybe the first episode is a bit awkward (and it is) but the first season is anything but awful. They laid the groundwork for a ton of the jokes in the show, and indeed a lot of the most quoted lines are from that season. I mean we get the "Gob hurling the letter into the ocean" scene in the second episode for crying out loud :lol
Yeah, dont be fooled by the first episode. It really gets sooo much better once you get all the basics on the Booth family. Also watching first season after 2 & 3 will make a lot of jokes/twists kind of meh.

_sgray said:

Woah, woah, I wouldn't call any of the seasons awful and if anything, the 3rd was the weakest

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I just discovered this show like a month ago. I'm so sorry gaf for missing this and not contributing to the ratings. I'm still on season one, but I can't explain how I completely whiffed on this show before. I barely even knew it existed. Gob is the greatest thing ever and when I saw the avatars around gaf, now I have some context. An instant classic.

Calcaneus

Finally getting my brother into this show, we're about halfway through season one and man it really gets better each time. This probably my third time watching the whole series, and I'm still catching new jokes.

Easily, easily, the best sitcom of the decade.

_sgray

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
Woah, woah, I wouldn't call any of the seasons awful and if anything, the 3rd was the weakest

Michael's awkward interaction with Rita in "For British Eyes Only" alone makes season 3 not the weakest.

All seasons were good, but I'm a fan of season 1, followed by season 2, and then season 3. I haven't watched season 3 nearly as much as I've watched the first 2 seasons.

sscrew

It's such a shame that we don't have another chance to get this show the ratings it deserved. Like many others i had no idea about this show when it was on TV, but when i first saw it on DVD i was absolutely hooked. It's just so amazing that repeated viewings offer a different viewing experience as you continually pick up jokes and link things that you had missed.

I've managed to get a few people hooked on this show and anyone who has listened to me has loved it. Still got a few mates i'm trying to get into it. Although it's not a show where you can show someone one episode for them to see how great it is.

ice cream

Banned
Been on vacation in the US for 2/3 weeks so before I left I put all the season 2 episodes on my cowon.. oh man I still love this show! So good to watch just before I go to sleep. Always puts me in a good mood.

EzLink

Banned
+1 AD fan. I started season one on Hulu several months ago (only got through the first few episodes before getting busy and then eventually forgetting about it) and the other day figured I'd get back into it. There is a notice on hulu that season 3 will be taken off of the site after September 11th (and season 2 will be taken down after October 9th), so I figured I'd try to binge watch it to get them all in.

Oh

my

god

I have 11 episodes left, but holy shit this is the funniest goddam show I have ever seen in my entire life. I'm so incredibly sad that it was cancelled so early, its a real shame. Nothing on tv, at least comedy wise that I have seen, has ever come close to this level of brilliance. The humor is just incredibly smart and they set it up to where you genuinely appreciate what you are laughing at as opposed to most other sitcoms that try to get chuckles out of you solely with one liners or crazy scenarios. Obviously AD still has those elements, but the way everything is paced, and the delivery of it all is just masterful. They set up jokes in the first season that you don't see the pay off for until the third season

So what is the current status of the movie? And do you guys think that there is any chance whatsoever of this show getting back on the air for a fourth season if the movie does well? I'm sad that I only have a few more episodes left with the Bluths :(

EzLink said:
So what is the current status of the movie? And do you guys think that there is any chance whatsoever of this show getting back on the air for a fourth season if the movie does well? I'm sad that I only have a few more episodes left with the Bluths :(
The last update on the film's progress:

Q: What's the status of the much-discussed "Arrested Development" movie?

A: I can report that it is being written. Mitch Hurwitz is probably halfway through. I would imagine he'll be done in two or three months, and then he'll start trying to schedule it and figure out a start date. He has birthed or rebirthed about nine careers there on that cast. Finding out when we're all going to be free and available to do this movie will probably take a little bit of time. I know that I can't wait to get a look at the script and shoot it because I miss doing it.
http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/movies/articles/2009/09/03/20090903extract0904bateman.html

A return of the show, even if the movie was successful, wouldn't happen in a million years. If the actors careers were floundering, then maybe, but they've all moved on to other things, plus i doubt Hurwitz would want to do it. Doesn't stop me from wishing it would happen!

EzLink

Banned
Well at least the movie should be good

Here's a question, is there a plethora of special features if you buy the complete series as a whole instead of each season seperately? The complete series is 82 dollars on amazon but if you buy each season on its own its only 18 a piece, which would save you about 28 bucks

MojoRisin

All before the introducing of Surely Funke when they film inside the school you can see posters for Surely running for Student Council. And when Tobias and Lindsay ask George Michael to tutor her and she hands him her failed test, he says, "..you even spelt your name wrong, you wrote 'S. Funke'."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom