• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: RoboCop [2014] (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

Somehow the scenes showing what's left of Alex Murphy's organic body unnerved me more than anything in the original R-rated movie. He's just a head, a pair of lungs and a hand connected by some tissue-thin nerves. In general, this was an average movie but could've been a lot worse. There's a lot to work with in the general premise of Robocop (ethics of technology in law enforcement/war) but it's not that easy to get it across in a generally entertaining way.

This movie would have been better if it was terrible, at least then it might have been entertaining enough to be worth watching. As it is, it's just... nothing. It doesn't even aspire to be anything. A lazy, half-baked, family friendly, focus group tested, characterless, bland movie with all the quality and feel of a made for TV pilot which never got picked up for a series.

Damn good film I thought. Obviously a lot of the hate is due to the fact that it had a ton to live up to! I think Joel was a fantastic choice and I hope he returns for the sequel, if there is going to be one.

tumblr_msp5adIGdt1so0s3vo3_r1_500.gifp

The scene with fight battling it out with the ED-209s was pretty great. Some really fantastic camera work and sound effects.

Really liked it. Best Robocop movie since the original.

I thought the CG for the suit was amazing (it's augmented in most shots, and a lot of the time it's a complete replacement). Only really found it unconvincing when he was jumping around.

zgfH8LQ.gif
Wow that's...terribly noticeable.

It's a decent movie, 6.5/10 from me. I think the PG-13 rating held it back, but I'm interested in the director's future projects. Was also fun to see what Omar's been up to lately. I knew
a punk kid could never kill him

Yeah, thanks Frank Miller.

I don't really know if Frank Miller was the problem with the second movie. This one suffers from a string of different issues. The original plot was going to be written by Edward Neumeier who wrote and created the original Robocop, but do to the 1988 writers strike he never got past the first draft and left the project. Frank Miller was brought on after, but his script was deemed unfilmable as it would've needed a budget beyond what they intended, so they brought in other writers to re-write the script. Which bore very little resemblance to Millers script. There was also a lot of Producer influence that messed with the script as well, they were constantly telling the writers to make the movie more violent to top the original.

The original director also left due to creative differences and Ivan Kershner was brought in last minute with very little time to film the movie. He claimed that the movie could've been much better if they gave him a longer shooting period so he could work out the plot points. What he ended with was the best he could've done in that time frame.

I still kind of enjoy Robocop 2, but it could've been much better.

The Robocop 3 screenplay was much closer to Frank Millers script, and yeah, it was terrible. But it was also made worse with an actor that was not Peter Weller and a movie that was dumbed down for a younger audience. This one is just insulting.

The Reboot on the other hand wasn't had and had some pretty good themes in it.
I liked that Robocop was given the illusion of freedom of choice, but was never really in control of himself
. That was an interesting twist. I liked Michael Keaton's character as well as Samuel L. Jackson. There were some good things in the reboot, but I feel like it was missing the teeth of the original. A 6/10 seems really apt.

highrider

Banned
It was a decent treatment of the source material for a reboot, but it was let down by boring performances and lackluster action. The art direction and costume design were awful. Despite having very good supporting actors, the lead guy was just wooden and boring to watch. Missed opportunity.

Damn good film I thought. Obviously a lot of the hate is due to the fact that it had a ton to live up to! I think Joel was a fantastic choice and I hope he returns for the sequel, if there is going to be one.

tumblr_msp5adIGdt1so0s3vo3_r1_500.gifp

The scene with fight battling it out with the ED-209s was pretty great. Some really fantastic camera work and sound effects.

Been thinking of watching on netflix. Must admit not a fan on unlimited clips for guns. This highlight looked great but those infinite rounds are always a bug bear for me

Mohonky

I loved 1 & 2.

3 was a farce.

This remake was alright but as someone else said it suffers for the fact that it is called Robocop. It was a different film to the originals and had it been any other name and going in with a clean slate a lot of people probably would have been more open to it but because people already have a certain expectation as to what they will get with the film, and consequently didnt, was something a lot of viewers took issue with.

That Peter Weller was so damn good at being Robocop also didnt help. Having anyone but him play the role seemed weird.

lazygecko

It would probably have benefited from differentiating itself even more, rather than just living in the shadow of the original.

Saw on Netflix and went ahead and watched.

1st. RoboCop is not very likeable.
Wife and Kid for the feels but not the affable Murphy of the original. More of a McNulty vibe.

America's war and occupation of Iran seems like too big a deal to gloss over. I get the reference to Operation Iraqi freedom with "Operation Freedom Tehran"

2nd. It takes 60min for RoboCop to become RoboCop.
Before that it is a guy in a suit. And that spoils the central issue of is it a man in there. There is no root for him to find his soul. You are rooting for a doctor to downgrade the software to the beta version.
But then he just sorta wills himself to break the software and gets around the central rule at the climax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom