• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Finalow

Do you not have a demon with Media or anything like that? Thats all I had till recently and its been more than enough. I mostly physical attack outside of bosses to conserve MP, but yah.
yes main is with media, also 2 demons have media as well. one is in the party and the other one is the Pixie with 40 mp, so she can't really cast media that much.
now that Uzume got mana refill isn't a problem but the point is that to kill random enemies I need to use magics (my main is a mage, not physical fighter) so I prefer to save all the mp for the bosses, and I need a lot of them.
I know, should have made the main as a physical fighter.

btw the first 2 bosses in this dungeon are ez, probably I'll need to get a level for the last one so I can summon Baphomet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This thread just reminded me that Dante made it into SMT3.

Wonder if we can get Bayonetta for SMT4:HAIRYAX edition.

Finalow

oh, funny story: I was like 2 steps before the save point (after the first boss of the dungeon) and I get in a fight, ok let's try to escape but nope, the demon says "PLIS DON'T RUN". after this he uses devil gaze on the main and then the second demon uses attack on my 1 hp main. (thanks to that shitty devil gaze or whatever is called) that's the second game over of the game. =(

Zekes!

I got fondled and violated by Thor last night. I should've seen it coming too. Gotta do some mad demon fusing now...

Zekes!

Beat Thor, fucked up Dante, explored the Mantra HQ, flipped off the boss and told him I didn't want to join him, and now I'm on my way back to Ginza.

First rule of Nocturne: Don't let peoples' Matador talk scare you - he's easy as hell if you keep debuffing him. Fog Breath is way over-powered.

Varna

I'll keep saying this as it keeps going unseen: "No Japanese developer WANTED to abandon consoles and retreat to handhelds"

No reason why this kind of game couldn't exist on handhelds. Nocturne wasn't a particularly good looking game, no VA and very little in the way cutscenes. Even the sound quality was terrible.

Seems like there is some kind of rule that if your game is on a handheld you have to try and market it for EVERYONE.

Finalow

the second kalpa, fuck that crap.
I went in the room (where your party is at 1 hp) that leads to 250k macca and I read on gamefaqs "yeah easy, just use the demon that has estoma and 100% escape rate" YEAH, TOO BAD the enemies can attack before I can escape. fucking trash guide and fucking trash kalpa without save points.

Aeana

the second kalpa, fuck that crap.
I went in the room (where your party is at 1 hp) that leads to 250k macca and I read on gamefaqs "yeah easy, just use the demon that has estoma and 100% escape rate" YEAH, TOO BAD the enemies can attack before I can escape. fucking trash guide and fucking trash kalpa without save points.

How come you started posting your updates in here instead of the anniversary thread?

Finalow

How come you started posting your updates in here instead of the anniversary thread?
that wasn't really an update lol, I prefer to post here since it's the thread of the game. I'll make some updates with screens and all with Strange Journey, after I finish Nocturne.
I still check the other thread, I like to read the updates of you guys.

Were the demons higher level than you? Levels and luck have an effect on encounters/advantages/escaping. Also, was the compass indicator already in the red? Coupled with the above, it wouldn't take long to run into higher demons that way.

Also, that guide is kinda crappy.

Also, MEGATENED!!!

Zekes!

I've been slowly dipping in and out of the first Kalpa, but I've only just left the Mantra HQ. Even though it's been extremely straight forward and easy, I don't even want to know what the later ones will be like...

cj_iwakura

No reason why this kind of game couldn't exist on handhelds. Nocturne wasn't a particularly good looking game, no VA and very little in the way cutscenes. Even the sound quality was terrible.

Seems like there is some kind of rule that if your game is on a handheld you have to try and market it for EVERYONE.

I hope this means they can make a game that looks this good on the 3DS for IV, but I'm skeptical.

oh, funny story: I was like 2 steps before the save point (after the first boss of the dungeon) and I get in a fight, ok let's try to escape but nope, the demon says "PLIS DON'T RUN". after this he uses devil gaze on the main and then the second demon uses attack on my 1 hp main. (thanks to that shitty devil gaze or whatever is called) that's the second game over of the game. =(

lol. my most recent playthrough was on hard. Running? what's that? Try to run from scrub demons in the first dungeon at level 80 and its not happening. those things are hardcore about not letting your ass get away

I've been slowly dipping in and out of the first Kalpa, but I've only just left the Mantra HQ. Even though it's been extremely straight forward and easy, I don't even want to know what the later ones will be like...

epic, EPIC ass whippings. Amala dungeon on hard is enough to make a grown man cry.

7threst

Damn... am I playing this game wrong I wonder haha... I have so much fun trying all sorts of fusion combinations (even if I've did it a dozen times before) and trying to recruit demon's and hanging around in the first kalpa (which I finished now) that I just reached the part where you are able to freely enter Mantra HQ
after the Dante fight
but haven't explored it yet or
visited Gozuh-Tennoh
. And I am already level 30. But everytime I play this game I have loads and loads of fun.

Finalow

lol. my most recent playthrough was on hard. Running? what's that? Try to run from scrub demons in the first dungeon at level 80 and its not happening. those things are hardcore about not letting your ass get away
this is my first one, guess i'll try the second one with hard mode, first person view and no demons. =D

Were the demons higher level than you? Levels and luck have an effect on encounters/advantages/escaping. Also, was the compass indicator already in the red? Coupled with the above, it wouldn't take long to run into higher demons that way.

Also, that guide is kinda crappy.

Also, MEGATENED!!!
yeah I guess they were, also my luck is like at 5 points.
and yep, that guide is kinda crappy but can't find anything better.

Varna

SJ sucked. It had the worst aspects of SMT 1/2 and completely ignored all the progress SMT3/DDS made in the genre.

Considering DDS 2 was SEVEN years ago why exactly would I be hopeful of SMT4?

(Not that it was any kind of worthy SMT successor, but the encounters, boss battles and dungeon are still some of the best in the series)

But it has the best soundtrack.

Yes. Listening to the OST completely ruined the music in-game for me. Can't believe they thought that was OK.

Ruuppa

Currently on my 4th run in the game, just got past the club in Shibuya. I absolutely adore the game, but for some reason I've never finished it. I've always bailed out in the final tower or at Manikintown.

randomkid

SJ sucked. It had the worst aspects of SMT 1/2 and completely ignored all the progress SMT3/DDS made in the genre.

(Not that it was any kind of worthy SMT successor, but the encounters, boss battles and dungeon are still some of the best in the series)

Hmm, you're looking for an SMT successor, and DDS 2 seven years ago is the last game that left you hopeful. Even ignoring your Strange Journey issues, where does Raidou 2 come in to play?

Also you said Nocturne isn't a good-looking game earlier, that's the real WUT here I'd say!

That's...not what you were on about earlier.

Varna

Hmm, you're looking for an SMT successor, and DDS 2 seven years ago is the last game that left you hopeful. Even ignoring your Strange Journey issues, where does Raidou 2 come in to play?

Also you said Nocturne isn't a good-looking game earlier, that's the real WUT here I'd say!

Honestly, those two Devil Summoner games are just pretty forgettable to me. I beat the first one and I got to the point were
Lucifer
is introduced in the second. Is anyone here really going to say they were decent action games or that the "detective" element was ever used for more then slightly annoying gimmick? Story wise they could have been good. Concept was great even... but just like SJ the story is far to overbearing and you have to hear the same crap over and over again because the games assume you can't make simple connections. My patience with that sort of thing is just gone at this point.

I was refering more to Nocturne technical prowess. It has really simple texture work, lots of same looking rooms/buildings/corridors. I just don't see why they haven't been able to make another game with that kind of presentation.

why.
I was going to buy and play it after SMTIII.

You will find a lot of love for that game around here, but it just didn't cut it for me. Neither as SMT 4 or just another spin-off.

Like the Raidou games the story is so overbearing. You are going to be rolling your eyes at so much pseudo sci-fi garbage and characters are going to be constantly spouting exposition to make absolutely sure you are not lost. Coming from Nocturne's, we respect your intelligence approach this was absolutely horrible.

Nocturne had really elaborate dungeon designs. Often with a few puzzles tossed in and a good number of tactic changing boss battles (or even some uncommon enemy formations). SJ has none of this. Instead of regresses back to nonsense corridors with that make no logical sense. There is no more press-turn system so battles aren't really all that exciting anymore. You can just power through anything without much thought into your party or the enemies you face. In general the game is much easier then Nocturne.

Finalow

damn, the third Kalpa seems a pain in the ass. that crap with Dante seems long enough to piss me off, so I'm thinking if I should go there or just end the game.
I'm near the end btw, level 53 Diet Building. not having a game over for so long now, a lot of bosses don't even use Dekuna/Dekaja or some of them use those spells like once in 20 turns, thought it was a little harder near the end. we'll see in the last dungeon.

After gaining a relatively sudden interest in RPGs (a genre I previously ignored, aside from Pokemon) due to watching the Persona 4 Endurance Run I decided to pick this up today. Seeing as I am a complete novice to Megaten, is there any good advice that anyone can give me? Anything to watch out for?
Seriously, what am I getting myself into?
I keep hearing bad things about Matador. How far into the game is he?

Sorry to dig up this thread. I thought it would be better than creating a new LTTP.

Golly, you sure know the definition of "trial by fire." I mean, if you haven't played RPG's other than Pokemon.

Invest in moves that beef up your friends or lower enemy stats. They're pretty powerful in Nocturne.

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm doing ok so far. Still wandering around the hospital trying to level up in anticipation of the upcoming fight with Forneus.

IrishNinja

i31NjvNX6mjCP.gif

:)

i love it.

OP, if you want True Demon ending, in case no one told you: DO NOT FUSE YOUR FIRST DEMON

Mzo

You can fuse the fairy as much as you want, but then you have to keep track of what it became and hold on to that. I think the game helps out in some way, maybe it's always at the top of your demon list. I forget.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, that's the deal - it stays up top so long as you keep whatever you merged it with. i had Matador or someone up there on mine so i knew i was boned.

Thanks for the advice :)

I'm doing ok so far. Still wandering around the hospital trying to level up in anticipation of the upcoming fight with Forneus.

CYOA.

Character builds > raw leveling.

Make note of how you occasionally won fights easily.

Have a purpose for building the Hito-Shura and stick with it.

Never get discouraged! There is always a way. Always.

The comfort of death will come for men and demons alike...
i love it.

OP, if you want True Demon ending, in case no one told you: DO NOT FUSE YOUR FIRST DEMON

That has no bearing on getting the TDE, and by the time you get there, it's not even that potent.

oh yeah, that's the deal - it stays up top so long as you keep whatever you merged it with. i had Matador or someone up there on mine so i knew i was boned.

Yeah, it's fine to fuse it, just not to discard it. I just played it safe and wasted a slot on a useless Fairy the whole way through.

That has no bearing on getting the TDE, and by the time you get there, it's not even that potent.

The benefit isn't really using the prize demon in battle, it's getting to avoid the huge pain-in-the-ass it would otherwise be to get through all the stat-locked doors in the Fourth Kalpa.

Mzo

Yeah, it's fine to fuse it, just not to discard it. I just played it safe and wasted a slot on a useless Fairy the whole way through.
I kept her a fairy because we are BEST FRIENDS~

There's a skill you get from a megatama pretty early on that you never, ever want to replace because it's the best. I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called right now.

cj_iwakura

i love it.

That has no bearing on TDE, it's still just a bad idea.
(And you can fuse her, but you can't destroy her descendants into a sacrificial fusion; her descendant still works.)

The benefit isn't really using the prize demon in battle, it's getting to avoid the huge pain-in-the-ass it would otherwise be to get through all the stat-locked doors in the Fourth Kalpa.

Oh yah, tru dat. One good thing about her is she can be higher level than you like in my last playthru.

I kept her a fairy because we are BEST FRIENDS~

There's a skill you get from a megatama pretty early on that you never, ever want to replace because it's the best. I'll be damned if I can remember what it's called right now.

Fog Breath from the ice one you win from the first boss fight

Gattsu25

Banned

What are you talking about? This is one of the best looking RPGs ever made.

Kenka

Matador is an awful piece of cheating ass. I dislike him more than any video game character, past or present.

^nice avatar and username !

EVOL 100%

What are you talking about? This is one of the best looking RPGs ever made.

Nocturne is very good looking yes, but it's graphics are not very good in a technical viewpoint.

He/She's saying that it'd be easy to replicate Nocturne's graphics on handhelds since it wasn't a very graphically intensive game.

i love it.

you can fuse that demon all you want, just don't dismiss it, or sacrifice it. Whatever you fuse it into will remain in the first slot no matter what, so you don't have to put that much effort into remembering what it was you turned that pixie into.

Top Bottom