• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Just beat Dante in Ikebukuro. I really enjoy it so far, but I don't think it has been all that hard for me yet. However, I think i am super over-levelled. I have only died twice, once to a hama spell, and I am not actually sure what happened the other time. I got hit by Stone Gaze from a Chronzon (why do I keep wanting to call these things Chocodiles?) in the Amala Network. Is there some kind of insta-kill with that move?

I did have to fight Matador twice because the power went out during the battle. The first time I was stupid and brought Principality without realizing that her moves were useless. She and Dis went down pretty fast, but I had Koppa with me, so i think it is possible I could have pulled through. The second time I switched Principality and Dis for Makami (with Fog Breath) and Unicorn (with War Cry). Both of those moves are on my MC as well, but I found it easier to have them cast the debuffs and focus on attacking with the MC (as he hits the hardest). I was level 31 when I fought him, and the fight was over pretty quickly. I think the game will get much tougher later on when I am not so over-levelled though
Once I find out someone can evolve, or get a cool move I want them to do that immediately, so I go level. Then I can't stop. I have a problem

For Dante, I had an Arahabaki. That guy totally nulls physical, and Dante seems to continuously attack him for some reason. Also, his Focus + Lunge was doing ridiculous damage. Out of curiosity, does Dante's move that nulls the -unda spells also null Fog Breath and War Cry?

I am currently Level 39 and my party is...
Lv. 36 Megami Sarasvati (Pixie's descendant)
Lv. 35 Snake Mizuchi
Lv. 31 Vile Arahabaki
Lv.37 Femme Shikome
Lv.34 Wargod Valkryrie and
Lv. 31 Yoma Karasu

Should I be taking the candelabras to Amala now, or waiting until later?

CYOA.

Character builds > raw leveling.

Make note of how you occasionally won fights easily.

Have a purpose for building the Hito-Shura and stick with it.

Never get discouraged! There is always a way. Always.

The comfort of death will come for men and demons alike...

He seems to be doing best as a debuffer/physical fighter. I figure I can always load up my party with the elemental attacks. I currently have on him...
Counter (love this, it works an awful lot of the time)
War Cry
Fog Breath
Heat Wave
Tornado
Focus
Force Boost and
Mind's Eye

Any good moves I should be on the look out for?

SatelliteOfLove said:
That has no bearing on getting the TDE, and by the time you get there, it's not even that potent.

Leaving out any plot details (if you can), what do you have to do to get the true ending? Is it something I will easily miss?

Astral said:
It's a shame that unless this is released on PSN, I'll probably never play it.

It was 20 bucks at Gamestop. I would recommend you try it if you can find it. It's been a blast so far.

Leaving out any plot details (if you can), what do you have to do to get the true ending? Is it something I will easily miss?

You have to complete the (optional)Amala dungeon. The game forces you to visit it once(though I don't think you have to do anything), so you should have no problem finding it.

So, Endure works against insta-kill spells, right? I opted for that instead of void death/expel.

Also, are there only enough deathstones to fuse all of the fiends, or is there a way to get more? I want to complete the compendium, but I also want another Daisoujou (he is the best) for late-game boss fights. Mine is just too low leveled now.

So, Endure works against insta-kill spells, right? I opted for that instead of void death/expel.

Also, are there only enough deathstones to fuse all of the fiends, or is there a way to get more? I want to complete the compendium, but I also want another Daisoujou (he is the best) for late-game boss fights. Mine is just too low leveled now.

Once to anything. Past that, it's used up.

I think there's a guy who'll sell Deathstones as 30,000m (or more) deep in the Amala Labyrinth.

koryuken

This was/is my favorite RPG of all time. I remember playing this in my early twenties... I had just broken up with my first love and was really depressed. Had to stop playing for a few months until I got over it (game was too dark for me).

Played obsessively a few months later and got the true demon ending. I had Dante with me on the final battle :)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The most difficult battle I had in my run of this game was against Baal. Matador was a rude wakeup but I definitely had a more difficult time with getting turned into flies.

My only complaint about the fusing was the random affixes to be given, in that it encouraged a lot of time wasted to constantly reset the combination in hopes for a beneficial skill set.

Once to anything. Past that, it's used up.

That's what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. I figure if someone hits me with a Hama or something, then I can just cast a Tetraja after the Endure brings me back. It seemed better to have a fallback for anything that could kill me, rather than protection for only one thing.

SatelliteOfLove said:
I think there's a guy who'll sell Deathstones as 30,000m (or more) deep in the Amala Labyrinth.

Ok, thanks. I need to find a better way to make money.

dog$ said:
The most difficult battle I had in my run of this game was against Baal. Matador was a rude wakeup but I definitely had a more difficult time with getting turned into flies.

I haven't gotten to Baal yet (just finished the Amala Temple), but so far the most difficult battles for me were White and Red Rider. It doesn't help that they placed White Rider in front of a save room. That was a real jerk move, Atlus.

Naked Lunch

I started this up earlier this year for the first time, and also grew to appreciate it immensely. Nocturne requires so much brainpower during battles - I love it. It constantly keeps you on your toes, even in normal monster skirmishes. This is what sets it apart for me - not only is the strange and unique story highly immersive, but the actual gameplay is even more so. Thats rare for JRPGs. In most normal JRPGs I just slam away at the attack/magic/heal commands with no avail.

I just had the luckiest fusion accident ever. While trying to fuse a Mitama with specific skills, I accidentally got a Michael instead.

Now I don't have to spend bajillions of maccas trying to fuse him :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
I nabbed these games (nocturne and Digital Devil Sagas) a while back but never played them cause me ps2 broke. 2 days ago ive discovered how brilliant ps2 emulation is on a PC and have been playing a bunch of games in high resolution. Some even format to widescreen. Its pretty nuts how sophisticated the PCSX2 emulator is.

Top Bottom