• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Xbox One

HINN

Banned
Yes, it sort of kills the feature for me. My mom and girlfriend are living with me and they would just prefer to watch TV without all the Xbox bells and whstles.

That's odd. The X1 should make things easy for them. I have my surround sound, tv, and cable all set to turn on and off with my X1 and I basically don't need any of my 3 remotes accept for changing the volume on my surround sound more than 5 levels. All they have to do is say xbox on to cut everything on and xbox off to cut everything off. It's the simplest thing to do. My cousin just came home out of the feds and he was visiting. He saw me navigate the X1 to watch tv and do some stuff in settings. I left the room to come back to him navigating through the X1 like it was his shit. I felt a little slighted that my X1 was letting him do whatever he wanted without my permission. It was almost like going out to dinner with your new hot chick then you go to the restroom and come back to some dude sitting at your table talking to your chick.

link1201

Just an fyI: I was at SAMs Club last night and saw the standard Xbox one with kinect for 429.99. I live in Arkansas.

Why is everyone so hung up about the video game console's OS? Remember when consoles didn't have an OS and just showed a black screen when a game was not inserted?

yes, I remember the dark ages. :p

Is there any way to get the xb1 to switch your tv to the correct input when it turns on? My ps4 does this, but the xb1 just turns on the tv to the last used input. Surely with the IR blaster this should be possible, right?

So this fall you guys have the following first party games/exclusives to look forward to in 2014. Which ones will you be checking out?

Forza Horizon 2 - September 30th
Dance Central: Spotlight - September 2014
Project Spark - October 7th
Fantasia: Music Evolved - October 21st
Sunset Overdrive - October 28th
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - November 11th
Ori and the Blind Forest - Q3 2014
D4 - 2014

I'm likely in for all of these except forza and project spark. A lot of the third party STUFF outside of evolve and NHL doesn't really interest me this year however the first party lineup is fantastic IMO. I'm a huge halo fan boy so I'm ecstatic about playing MC Collection specifically returning to H1 and H2 MP.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Traded a ps4 for my X1. Best decision. I cant hardly tell the difference between the graphics of the two, then again I never really gave a shit. Theres more fun to be had here than PS right now, especially from someone thats been with Xbox for almost a decade. stick to your roots, people

What? This is dumb.

I have both the X1 and Ps4 and it's really not super obvious. Most of my friends could hardly tell the difference in certain areas. I knew what games were technically better on PS4 before so I don't count myself in it, but even then it's really not super obvious.

I got mine about two weeks ago and I really like it, more so than I expected. There are pros and cons of course, but I was surprised by a fair amount of the console after using it for a while and really like it.

This. The PS4 games only look slightly better on my Panasonic Plasma. Its not the huge multiplatform difference the elitists were claiming it to be. Well not yet at least.

It might be, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Mine works as one would expect a button to work.

Its basically if I push down and my thumb is slightly to the left, top or bottom of the button then it wont go down, if I push to the right or centre then it works fine. I think maybe the button on mine is just set slightly wrong if other people dont recognise the problem.

ironcreed

Banned
ironcreed, I'm sure you've already done this, but download Max and Guacamelee if you have Gold. Max is an amazing little gem that sadly got overlooked at launch. I think Halo: SA might still be free too, not sure though.

Max: TCoB and Guacamelee are on the agenda for sure. I just never got around to it last night with the set-up, messing with features and playing Ryse. I am also thinking of picking up Outlast or Powerstar Golf.

iso135

So this fall you guys have the following first party games/exclusives to look forward to in 2014. Which ones will you be checking out?

D4 - 2014

Halo is a definite. Sunset Overdrive might be Day 1, but it also may be when it goes down in price a little.

And I do not know enough about the other games yet to decide.

ironcreed

Banned

D4 - 2014

Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Ori and the Blind Forest
Halo MC Collection (I'll probably pick this up a bit later. There are just so many games releasing.)

Its basically if I push down and my thumb is slightly to the left, top or bottom of the button then it wont go down, if I push to the right or centre then it works fine. I think maybe the button on mine is just set slightly wrong if other people dont recognise the problem.

Yeah, maybe it's slightly misaligned so it's hitting the side of the shell. Hopefully it loosens up a little with more use.

Krakn3Dfx

Picked up another XB1 a few days ago after returning my launch unit. UI is definitely snappier, Kinect is still hit-or-miss and not reliable enough for me to use it over the controller in most cases, some definite improvements since launch, and I was able to get the system, Titanfall, BF4 and Garden Warfare for a song, so I'll hang onto it this time. Sunset is interesting to me because I enjoy open world Infamous-type games, but I have zero interest in Halo or Forza. Between the PS4 and XB1, I have a nice smattering of exclusives to pick up over the next 6-10 months, but for MP multiplats, I'll still go with PS4, since that's where most of my friends are these days. Hopefully both systems pick up steam in a big way next year as far as 1st/2nd party content is concerned.

D4 - 2014

Absolutely all of them, plus Fable Legends beta, Below, Halo 5 beta, Killer Instinct Season 2, Cuphead... I'll be piss poor come 2015.

link1201

just those 3

cool_dude

Banned
Getting most of those games, and really excited for Halo and Forza Horizon.

On TV functionality, my brother watches movies/TV on his Xbone 80% of the time and he thinks it's really awesome with Kinect and having all the electronics turn on and off easily.

TrueGrime

D4 - 2014

Great must. Everything but Dance Central and Fantasia I'll be getting. Need to see more of D4 before I bite.

Kelsey

Banned
Definitely Ori, Sunset, Horizon 2, and Halo MCC. Will also pick up Minecraft and Diablo next month, and then GTA5 whenever it releases.

Pjsprojects

Just picked up an Xbox one but struggling to deal with captures. It's easy on my PS4 to sort game clips out but on Xbox I can't find a way to copy them to usb stick.
The upload to onedrive seems to crush the quality and taking snapshots from a video looks horrid.

Am I missing something or is PS4 share option just much better?

Crackbone

Just traded for an Xbox One.

Looking for some friends as I haven't been active on Xbox Live for a long time

GT - Crackbone2176

hiro_x

Ok guys, just got a great deal for an xbox one (more than $50 off). I can only get one game for now. What would you recommend?
AC Black flag, watch dogs or tomb raider?

RoKKeR

Ok guys, just got a great deal for an xbox one (more than $50 off). I can only get one game for now. What would you recommend?
AC Black flag, watch dogs or tomb raider?

Hmm.

I'd say Black Flag holds your attention the longest. Watch Dogs was a fun romp but overall is pretty dull. Really enjoyed Black Flag's world and ship gameplay.

Fredrik

LTTP - for real, tier 2 Swedish launch happened friday 5th september 2014, almost 10 months too late.

I almost didn't buy it, people complained too much, and I've been gaming happily on PS4 since day 1 and started feeling like I simply didn't need another console besides PS4 and WiiU.

But I'm so glad I caved in to the "launch hype" and bought it. I just love the console!

The UI is super slick. I love the suspend/resume feature and speed when going to the shop etc, it really shows that MS has experience in OSes. I don't have Kinect though or a TV box so can't use some features, but what's there is really well done.

It's crazy silent. I've been gaming on PS4 for almost a year now and XB1 is almost too quiet, at first I was seriously worrying that it was something wrong with the cooling, that the fans weren't spinning even though they should, it was simply too quiet for what was going on on screen compared to PS4 which aren't exactly hiding when a game is pushing the boundries of the hardware, on XB1 I can't hear much difference from when it's idle on the dashboard and when Crytek tries to melt it in Ryse. The power brick gets really hot though so maybe that's the trick, the external power brick that everyone hates came with some nice benefits.

I really like the controller. The tight and clicky D-pad is wonderful, the sticks are great too just like on 360. Using PS4 for pretty much 100% since day 1 made me dislike the placement on the XB1 sticks at first though, but I'm getting used to it now after 2 days so it's no biggie. Trigger rumble is kind cool too even though Forza 5 is the only game I have that use it properly.

Forza 5 looks and plays absolutely lovely. It's not nearly in the same league as Driveclub on PS4 visually, or even NFS Rivals, but OMG 60fps needs to be in more racing games this generation because it reeeally makes a difference. First HD 60fps racer this gen and omg I love it! :D Feels like a waste that Forza Horizon 2 goes down to 30fps, takes away the feeling of premium quality, it's just NFS with another name really.
Anyhow, trigger rumble is cool too, felt odd at first but it makes you feel when you're losing the grip on the tires so it's really useful. I don't like the expensive car packs though. Not one bit. I didn't get the correct nordic Game of the Year Edition which I believe has more DLC cars uncluded, I just got the "old" imported Day One 2013 edition by mistake with 3 extra cars. They should've made a bunch of car packs free for everyone that had to wait this long for the game and console. But other than that - Great game!

RYSE is surprisingly fun too, just finished it last night and came away quite impressed by the whole thing. Felt like playing through a movie but it was not nearly as QTE heavy as I was led to believe. Great story and acting. Definitely worth a play through. Looks incredible too, haven't seen anything like it really, you really can't say when it's in engine or a video, and all that without the console sounding like a hairdryer is impressive on so many levels. Can't wait for more nextgen games from Crytek.

In short, my feeling so far is that this box definitely has got it's fair share of unjustified slamming here. Won't listen as much on the bashing in the future.

Congrats, fellow tier 2 inhabitant!

Yes, the box has been slammed by all and sundry a little more than it should, but most of the hate is MS related.. The box itself does a lot of stuff well imho.

Add me up, Denmark resident, GT SublimeAnarky

T.O.P

Banned
LTTP - for real, tier 2 Swedish launch happened friday 5th september 2014, almost 10 months too late.

I almost didn't buy it, people complained too much, and I've been gaming happily on PS4 since day 1 and started feeling like I simply didn't need another console besides PS4 and WiiU.

But I'm so glad I caved in to the "launch hype" and bought it. I just love the console!

The UI is super slick. I love the suspend/resume feature and speed when going to the shop etc, it really shows that MS has experience in OSes. I don't have Kinect though or a TV box so can't use some features, but what's there is really well done.

It's crazy silent. I've been gaming on PS4 for almost a year now and XB1 is almost too quiet, at first I was seriously worrying that it was something wrong with the cooling, that the fans weren't spinning even though they should, it was simply too quiet for what was going on on screen compared to PS4 which aren't exactly hiding when a game is pushing the boundries of the hardware, on XB1 I can't hear much difference from when it's idle on the dashboard and when Crytek tries to melt it in Ryse. The power brick gets really hot though so maybe that's the trick, the external power brick that everyone hates came with some nice benefits.

I really like the controller. The tight and clicky D-pad is wonderful, the sticks are great too just like on 360. Using PS4 for pretty much 100% since day 1 made me dislike the placement on the XB1 sticks at first though, but I'm getting used to it now after 2 days so it's no biggie. Trigger rumble is kind cool too even though Forza 5 is the only game I have that use it properly.

Forza 5 looks and plays absolutely lovely. It's not nearly in the same league as Driveclub on PS4 visually, or even NFS Rivals, but OMG 60fps needs to be in more racing games this generation because it reeeally makes a difference. First HD 60fps racer this gen and omg I love it! :D Feels like a waste that Forza Horizon 2 goes down to 30fps, takes away the feeling of premium quality, it's just NFS with another name really.
Anyhow, trigger rumble is cool too, felt odd at first but it makes you feel when you're losing the grip on the tires so it's really useful. I don't like the expensive car packs though. Not one bit. I didn't get the correct nordic Game of the Year Edition which I believe has more DLC cars uncluded, I just got the "old" imported Day One 2013 edition by mistake with 3 extra cars. They should've made a bunch of car packs free for everyone that had to wait this long for the game and console. But other than that - Great game!

RYSE is surprisingly fun too, just finished it last night and came away quite impressed by the whole thing. Felt like playing through a movie but it was not nearly as QTE heavy as I was led to believe. Great story and acting. Definitely worth a play through. Looks incredible too, haven't seen anything like it really, you really can't say when it's in engine or a video, and all that without the console sounding like a hairdryer is impressive on so many levels. Can't wait for more nextgen games from Crytek.

In short, my feeling so far is that this box definitely has got it's fair share of unjustified slamming here. Won't listen as much on the bashing in the future.

smart guess by using this thread, the other one went to shit (who could've guessed!)

Enjoy the system, remember to grab Super Time Force and Crimson Dragon for free if you're a gold subscriber

And give Killer Instinct a try, it's amazing fun!

Neuro

I just got an Xbone at launch in Dubai...Here are my first impressions of the consoles

1) Day 1 update was a killjoy, I have a 4 Mbps connection and it took an hour to download, failed twice because of some server error

2) Got Ryse, turns out I could not play it within the next 5 minutes, took 20 minutes before I could actually get into the game

3) Cant turn the vibration off for some odd reason, the X360 had an option on the dash which gave the flexibility of turning it off permanently, I did some online hacks, turns out I need to cut wires for the vibration to go away for good.

4) The UI is a bit odd, I personally do not like the tile based system from Win 8

5) Fifa 15 and Froza come bundled with the system, sadly I need to download them using 25 fricking digit codes and this is going to take a gazillion hours

6) Controller is great even though the PS4 controller redesign is great, I still feel the Xbone controller is tighter and more focussed

6) Finally got playing Ryse, pretty good title to boot up, having tons of fun with it, I personally like it better than most PS4 first party games that are out there...Its not a simple button masher like most people think it is and the game looks gorgeous

7) Moment of dilemma :- Which platform to buy Destiny on

8) Is Dead Rising 3 any fun? I have never played any Dead rising games last gen...

Broman1978

I just got an Xbone at launch in Dubai...Here are my first impressions of the consoles

5) Fifa 15 and Froza come bundled with the system, sadly I need to download them using 25 fricking digit codes and this is going to take a gazillion hours

If you have a Kinect you can just scan the QR code=)

Neuro

If you have a Kinect you can just scan the QR code=)

I got it sans the Kinect, I tried it Kinect at the store felt really frustrated trying to control it, went for the other bundle which gave me Fifa 15, Froza 5, Spartan Assault, Lococycle, Max...

Anyway my gripe is the download and installation times for games....Having fun with Ryse and looking out for DR3 now...

Footos22

6) Finally got playing Ryse, pretty good title to boot up, having tons of fun with it, I personally like it better than most PS4 first party games that are out there...Its not a simple button masher like most people think it is and the game looks gorgeous

It's a gorgeous game and a very short quite enjoyable one but it is exactly a simple button masher 1 weapon + Pulling spears out of your ass in an instant tech demo, there is no 2 ways about it and the reviews are spot on in my opinion. Even the multiplayer doesn't change things up.

Daniel R

Ouch. Seems I am one of the unfortunate ones that had to wait since november last year for the console to be officially released, only to get one of the numerous (all of them?) kinectless consoles which make noise in the dashboard.

At the time of writing the thread on the official xbox support forum is up to 447 replies.
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1805665.aspx
I can't find any thread on Neogaf which makes me wonder how widespread it really is.
It also makes me wonder if people actually think it is supposed to sound like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skqwBNGH8VU

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I got my Xbox One yesterday, got the Madden 15 bundle. Played a little Madden, but otherwise spent the day updating the console, updating the firmware in my gamepads (already had the Titanfall gamepad), formatting a Seagate 4TB external HDD for storage, and downloading a bunch of games and apps.

Anyone want to play FIFA 14 and NBA2K14 with me? I want to get those online achievements before the servers go down.

a.wd

Picked up an xb1 yesterday after seeing a ridiculous deal (destiny and MCC and Kinect for £300) was thinking the ea access would then give me another 4 games for £20 so there were enough games for me to justify it (I got my ps4 for £225 with a spare controller and a game). It's really awesome, and it's so much more family friendly than my ps4, we use the TV pass through so we now have the TV the sky box and the amp setup to turn on and go to TV when you walk in and say Xbox on.

The difference in gaming quality isn't really there, I wasn't really expecting a huge gulf despite what many people have said on here and the obvious differences in power, but with the launch games there hasn't been a massive gulf *shrugs*. The overall experience works better for me and my family, and also the other user activity and multiplayer stuff is really well laid out and integrated, it's actually a really great system, from the instant resume (which is kick ass, it does matter) to the instant app switching. Also it's not slow but loads of people say it is which is weird? Genuinely out of my 2 current generation consoles it's probably my favourite but that's because it fits my lifestyle and is a great gaming experience. Oh and snap is really cool.

Suspend / Resume is the best thing about the console. I was in the middle of TLOU yesterday and had to run an errand so just jammed out only to come how and have the system off. SON OF AH!

REV 09

Once again everyone seems to like Ryse. Can't believe how wrong the reviews and prerelease anti-hype was for the game.

Probably have a lot more people getting Xbones today due to the free game deal.

a.wd

My wife was astounded when I went "Xbox watch TV" when I was playing forza, then when an advert came on switched back to game, snapped TV she was ok with it being in the living room!

big_z

Picked up an xb1 yesterday after seeing a ridiculous deal (destiny and MCC and Kinect for £300) was thinking the ea access would then give me another 4 games for £20 so there were enough games for me to justify it (I got my ps4 for £225 with a spare controller and a game). It's really awesome, and it's so much more family friendly than my ps4, we use the TV pass through so we now have the TV the sky box and the amp setup to turn on and go to TV when you walk in and say Xbox on.

The difference in gaming quality isn't really there, I wasn't really expecting a huge gulf despite what many people have said on here and the obvious differences in power, but with the launch games there hasn't been a massive gulf *shrugs*. The overall experience works better for me and my family, and also the other user activity and multiplayer stuff is really well laid out and integrated, it's actually a really great system, from the instant resume (which is kick ass, it does matter) to the instant app switching. Also it's not slow but loads of people say it is which is weird? Genuinely out of my 2 current generation consoles it's probably my favourite but that's because it fits my lifestyle and is a great gaming experience. Oh and snap is really cool.

theres a lot of trolling and fanboy shit talking on gaf lately. its easy to let the circus taint your views on games.

the visual differences don't really matter unless you have both versions of the game and can compare them side by side. even then most people would have trouble pointing out which is which. I think late in the generation the ps4s extra power will be where it shines most, especially when developers are pushing games at sub hd resolutions again.

the ps4 might be the better hardware but the xbox is the better experience right now. I really hope sony gets their shit together and makes some large strides on the system features.

I've had my Xbox One for a few weeks now after initially being undecided about this or a PS4 and it was the exclusives coming soon that swung it for me. Overall I'm super impressed. The games look great, being able to switch between apps and games feels like magic and suspend and resume is astounding. I only started using the latter recently and can't believe what I'd been missing. Also the new controllers are fantastic. I loved the 360 controllers but they feel cheap and cumbersome in comparison now.

Fox Mulder

I've had my Xbox One for a few weeks now after initially being undecided about this or a PS4 and it was the exclusives coming soon that swung it for me. Overall I'm super impressed. The games look great, being able to switch between apps and games feels like magic and suspend and resume is astounding. I only started using the latter recently and can't believe what I'd been missing. Also the new controllers are fantastic. I loved the 360 controllers but they feel cheap and cumbersome in comparison now.

switching between things is great, I loved it on the wiiu. I've been against digital only, but this makes me consider it.

Forza 5 is great with the controller, as the rumble triggers feel designed for the game.

Top Bottom