• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major League Baseball 2k8 Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Click For Official Site ^

Click For More Screens From Operation Sports ^

Platforms:

Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Wii

Release Date:

NA - March 4th

9h80hx.jpg
2nq8vao.jpg
s5fy8h.jpg
26261dt.jpg
243q2z6.jpg

Features:

Some of the exciting new features and added content in Major League Baseball 2K8 include:

Total Pitch Control - A new, innovative pitching interface that allows players to emulate the realistic motion of pitching a live baseball. Execution of speed and precise accuracy involves matching specific gestures and release with the right analog stick, simulating the arm and wrist action involved in throwing that particular type of pitch.

Swing Stick 2.0 - Improved batting controls that offer players unparalleled ball-to-bat contact that will be determined by timing, direction, and pitch location for a greater variety of realistic hits including grounders, blooper singles, dribblers, gappers, long home runs, and more using the right analog stick.

All-New Baserunning - Simplified controls that allow fans to easily select players with the left analog stick and guide them toward specified bases with ease.

Precision Throw Control - Provides unprecedented control over throw accuracy using the right analog stick, bringing a new level of realism to playing defense.

Full Minor Leagues - Fans will be treated to 90 authentic minor league teams, along with 18 minor league stadiums in franchise and exhibition modes.

Two of the Best Commentators in the Business - 2K Sports proudly brings back to the broadcast booth the popular duo of Jon Miller and Hall of Famer Joe Morgan, delivering the most entertaining and deepest commentary available in any baseball franchise.

**Certain features will vary between platforms.

Along with a host of other new features, Major League Baseball 2K8 includes added Signature Style animations such as new and improved player walk-ups, batting stances, home run celebrations, steps-ins and step-outs, and more to make each unique player true to life. For competitive players, Major League Baseball 2K8 allows fans to have fun while competing against each other online, testing their skills in a single game, tournament or full league season against more than one million elite online gamers in the 2K community. New online lobbies have been added to help users match up with others who want to play with a similar style, including a "Strikes Only" lobby, where pitchers can only throw in the strike zone, and lobbies where players use the advanced analog stick controls or the controls from previous iterations of the Major League Baseball 2K series.

3547.jpg

Bonus Offer - Pre-order MLB 2K8 and receive a FREE Jose Reyes bobble head doll. Mail-in rebate form will be included with game. Complete and submit to receive. Offer good while supplies last.

Jose Reyes Bobblehead Trailer

Wii Details:

Pitching - To pitch, players simply point the Wii Remote at the screen, pull back to start the pitcher's motion, then flick the Wii Remote forward. The quicker the player flicks the remote, the more velocity and movement the pitch will have. The Nunchuk can be used to view a player's pitch arsenal and to select which pitch to throw.

Batting - Swinging for the fences with Major League Baseball 2K8 on Wii will provide fans with even more fun when they control the Wii Remote as if they were swinging a real bat. The Nunchuk acts to control the direction of the ball.

Fielding - While controlling their designated player using the Nunchuk, players can snag fly balls and use the Wii Remote to throw to the appropriate base. Players can use Major League Baseball 2K8's "Smart Throw" technology to throw to the best base by simply flicking the Wii Remote or can manually choose which base to throw to by pressing a direction on the directional pad.

Baserunning - Players can control the speed of their baserunning by shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuk simultaneously, then pushing both controllers to slide.

Wii Screens From Gamespot

Wii Videos From IGN

Videos:

Gamespot Videos

IGN Videos

Youtube Videos

GameTrailers Videos

Pasta Padre Videos

How To Pitch Video

Reviews:

EGM: B, B-, B
Fielding features the sweetest setup in years, with its simple analog-based meter. And baserunning and hitting benefit from less-complex models. Something's still missing. [Apr 2008, p.73]
IGN: 360 (7.4) PS3 (7.2) Wii (6.5)
360 Review Closing Comments said:
At the end of the day it’s the lack of authenticity while on the field that really hurts MLB 2K8. Next-gen simulation sports games are gauged by how closely they emulate the look and feel of the real thing and while the new gameplay mechanics do lend themselves to a more true-to-life experience, the presentation and look of 2K8 in motion really hurts it overall. The features are plentiful and will keep most busy for some time, but for this year’s best and purest baseball offering you’ll have to look elsewhere.
Game Informer: 360 (8.5) PS3 (8.5)
from 360 review said:
It delivers new experiences with its gameplay, offers rewarding bonus content (playable minor league teams, and collectable baseball cards), and improves upon its already robust online play with an array of sorting options that will allow players to find the appropriate match-ups. The only area that needs work is Franchise mode. It’s not bad, but it doesn’t offer anything new. Up to this point, this generation’s baseball has been about replicating the look of the game. With this release, it’s now about replicating the game itself.
1up: 360 (B) PS3 (B)
from 360 review said:
We daydreamed during the offseason that 2008 would be the Year of the Baseball Game, and while we know there's a whole lot to like about MLB 2K8 and plenty of reasons to play it, it isn't the seminal new-gen baseball experience we were hoping for. It's a solid effort, but one that leaves us feeling more like "Wait 'til next year" Cubs fans than we'd like.
GameDaily: 360 (8) PS3 (8)
360 review said:
Major League Baseball 2K8 is fun, especially with the Total Pitch Control; the addition of playing cards will have you collecting for weeks at a time; and the presentation isn't half bad. You don't have too many options when it comes to swinging for the fences, but this is still worth playing.
Team Xbox: 360 (7.8)
I’m sure it’s very difficult to do a triple-A sports video game these days, what with marketing people on your butt to get advertising in the game, programmers wanting to show off their advanced cloth physics and, worst of all, fans and critics (ahem) who think they know better than anyone what “real” baseball is. But it might be time for the makers of MLB 2K8 to take a step back from adding bells and whistles, and put a little more concentration into the on-field action. In a lot of ways they’re headed in the right direction, but if the game itself is frustrating to play, all the cool features and classic players, and awesome mo-cap animations go to waste. Major League Baseball 2K8 ain’t quite making it to the playoffs this year.
OXM: 360 (6)
In the end, MLB 2K8 is just sloppy. It feels like coming to Opening Day in a half-finished stadium…and when you leave, you’re skeptical that it’ll be that nice of a ballpark when it’s completed.
X-Play: 4/5 Stars
MLB 2K8 is a positive step forward for an already good series. The doom and gloom predicted by folks back when the sports licensing war stuff finally shook out still has not taken place. 2K has really delivered the goods year after year, and it seems like 2K8 will be an excellent successor.
Games Radar 7
We give all the credit in the world to 2K Sports for not playing it safe and instead forging ahead with innovative ideas that work terrifically. After all, we’d be needling them if they didn’t. We were so ready to fall in love with 2K’s take on major league baseball again this year, but we just can’t get past the depressing drop in visual fidelity. This season, we’ll just have to agree to be good friends.
GameSpy 360 (3 and a half Stars) PS3 (2 Stars)
360 review said:
It basically comes down to this: when it works, MLB 2K8 is easy to recommend. It's a solid baseball game with a great pitching and hitting interface. But it doesn't always work. The poor frame-rate combined with the shoddy online play and the occasional system lock-ups drag the game down into mediocrity. And that's a terrible shame for Xbox 360 owners who really have no other choice but to wait for an update from 2K Sports. It can't get here soon enough.
Playstation: The Official Magazine 3 out of 5
It remains a flawed experience, even in the face of its significant upgrades in the depth and gameplay options. [Apr 2008, p.74]
Nintendo Power 6.5
If you're a die-hard fan of the great American pastime and don't own any other consoles, this is still a decent game of baseball. [Apr 2008, p.88]
Demo is out on the Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN

Want to Join a League? Check this thread out.

Hootie

Uhh, why is this thread empty?

I can't wait for this game, this will be the first MLB game I buy since MVP Baseball 2005. I'm looking forward to my first Franchise runthrough with Boston, too. :D

Also, pics would be good in this thread.

oatmeal

Banned
I bought it last year and enjoyed it, but now I have a PS3 and I think the chances of me getting this over The Show is slim.

I'll miss the presentation here, though, except on dropped third strikes "MICKEY OWENS"... FUCK YOU JON.

Fatalah

Very much looking forward to this game. I mean, what other choice do X360 owners have? In terms of sim baseball? WE HAVE NO CHOICE!

Good think 2K was smart enough to wrap up Brinkman to save the series. Still, with the pending merger of EA and Take-Two, who wouldn't scrap 2K9 in favor of a MVP 2009? Blue Castle Games would have to be the dev team.

Windu

OP updated. Better?

Someone create a Online League Thread in the online forum and I will post a link. I don't know the first thing about the league, never played much online. Or you could just post the details here and I will put it in the OP.

Fatalah

Good job OP!

Deals:
target.gif

++ $10 Off MLB tickets for any team with purchase of MLB 2K8 // Subject to availability //

Windu

Lobster said:
Regarding the Wii version..

From Matt and Bozon.

Avoid at all costs.
heh yeah check out the screens I posted in the OP, looks like a PS1 game.

Lobster

Banned
Windu said:

Its funny, they already have The Bigs engine but instead they create a new one that looks 2x shitter.

Hootie

Wow...those Wii pics are a disgrace to gamers. That is just....horrific.

Glad I'm getting the 360 version. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Windu said:

Holy shit. That's just offensive to all five senses. Just from the pictures alone. I mean, through my eyes, I can taste the crap. =(

Hootie

speculawyer said:
Well it sounds like they got the important part (the gameplay) right.

And when push comes to shove, that's the only part that matters, though the graphics and presentation look really good, too.

Just 1 more day until release! I still can't believe more people aren't hyped for it. If these reviews are correct, all of the major problems from 2K7 are gone for the most part.

Still no reviews from the major sites...I'm very interested to see what the verdict is...Need to decide between this and MLB 08'

The more I read about the card system, the more I like the idea...I liked 2k7 last year, however the cheap AI outfield defense practically ruined the game for me...Seeing as I cannot get into MLB 08 after half a dozen plays of the demo, and seeing how I am a huge Mets Fan, and want to get the game with Reyes on the cover, I'm leaning towards this...Need to see a review first though.

Fatalah

No new reviews, but we have word that custom hitter music is in the game. Brinkman spent most of his PR-time talking about gameplay (which is great). New features are being discovered randomly by websites with copies of the game.

0803022002344-media.pjpeg

Windu

no luck getting the game early for me :(

edit: just saw the commercial for this game while watching Braves/Mets Spring Training game. Pretty good, had Dennis Leary narrating.

edit 2: So that music feature, can we put our own music in there or do we have to use the shitty music that they have in-game?

JeremyR

What happened to the DS version? I know last year's was about as awful as a baseball game could get, but the DS is more than powerful enough to do a decent one (indeed, my favorite PC baseball game, FPS Baseball, was on similar specs)

bluemax

Banned
JeremyR said:
What happened to the DS version? I know last year's was about as awful as a baseball game could get, but the DS is more than powerful enough to do a decent one (indeed, my favorite PC baseball game, FPS Baseball, was on similar specs)

You sir are a man of great taste. FPS Baseball Pro for life.

Windu

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K8 Video Game Tour

2K Sports announced today the third annual Major League Baseball® 2K8 Video Game Tour, a mobile interactive entertainment experience created to highlight the exciting convergence of video games, music and sports. East Coast and West Coast tours will take place simultaneously and make stops at more than 20 markets and 40 events across the country. The Major League Baseball 2K8 Video Game Tour will dispatch six 2K Sports branded mobile entertainment trucks armed with video game stations of the hottest 2K Sports titles so consumers can try before they buy. Gamers can participate in the open play stations or compete in the Major League Baseball 2K8 Home Run Derby to win exclusive prizes from 2K Sports and Major League Baseball®.

Sirius Satellite Radio DJ and emcee, Statik Selektah, will be featured on the West Coast leg of the tour while Boston-based celebrity DJ, Eskillz, will spin on the East Coast, as fans will be treated to a variety of hot tracks and remixes from all of the best 2K Sports in-game soundtracks. Complimentary music cards and game demo discs will be given away at all tour stops. As the ultimate mobile interactive experience for baseball fans of all ages, the Major League Baseball 2K8 Video Game Tour will make stops in over 20 college campuses, Major League Baseball Spring Training™ baseball games, and at designated Best Buy parking lots across the country. All participants will receive $5 discount coupons for Major League Baseball 2K8 to redeem at Best Buy.

The full schedule for the Major League Baseball 2K8 Video Game Tour is as follows:

West Coast Tour
March 4 Arizona State University Tempe, AZ
March 6 Tempe Diablo Stadium Tempe, AZ
March 7 Scottsdale Resort Scottsdale, AZ
March 8 Best Buy Gaming Tournament San Marcos, CA
March 9 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Canoga Park, CA
March 11 San Diego State University San Diego, CA
March 13 University of Southern California Los Angeles, CA
March 15 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Mesa, AZ
March 16 Phoenix Municipal Stadium Phoenix, AZ
March 17 Tucson Electric Park Tucson, AZ
March 18 Tempe Diablo Stadium Tempe, AZ
March 19 University of Texas El Paso El Paso, TX
March 22 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Dallas, TX
March 23 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Houston, TX
March 25 Sam Houston University Huntsville, TX
March 26 University of Texas Dallas Richardson, TX
March 27 Southwestern State University Weatherford, OK
April 1 University of New Mexico Albuquerque, NM

East Coast Tour
March 1 ESPN the weekend Orlando, FL
March 2 ESPN the weekend Orlando, FL
March 4 City of Palms park Ft. Myers, FL
March 5 City of Palms park Ft. Myers, FL
March 6 University of Tampa Tampa, FL
March 7 Roger Dean Stadium Jupiter, FL
March 8 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Miami, FL
March 9 Tradition Field Port St. Lucie
March 10 Tradition Field Port St. Lucie
March 11 Georgia Southern University Statesboro, GA
March 13 University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL
March 15 University of N. Carolina Charlotte, NC
March 18 Charleston Southern University Charleston, NC
March 22 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Duluth, GA
March 25 Virginia University Petersburg, VA
March 27 University of Maryland College Park, MD
March 29 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Vienna, VA
March 30 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Deptford, NJ
April 1 New York University New York, NY
April 2 Best Buy Gaming Tournament Secaucus, NJ
April 3 Northeastern/YMCA Tourney Boston, MA
April 5 George Washington University Washington, DC

Major League Baseball 2K8, rated E for Everyone by the ESRB, will be available in retail stores March 4, 2008 for Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
When is the demo coming out? I want to try this new pitch stick before I actually buy the game.

Windu

QVT said:
When is the demo coming out? I want to try this new pitch stick before I actually buy the game.
no idea :(

All I have heard is that it is in the hands of Microsoft and Sony, been that way for awhile.

RBH

Demo's pretty much worthless at this point if it doesn't release by tomorrow.

I'll be looking to rent it Friday after I'm done with mid-terms and pray that the pitching interface is good.

Windu

RBH said:
Demo's pretty much worthless at this point if it doesn't release by tomorrow.

I'll be looking to rent it Friday after I'm done with mid-terms and pray that the pitching interface is good.
From all the impressions that I have read, the pitching is great, just takes a few games to get the hang of it.

Opiate

Alright, as to the Wii version, honest question: is it a good sign for Wii owners that 2k sports is at least making a "2k" game on a Nintendo home console for the first time in history? One could see that as progress. Or is it a bad sign because the game is clearly terrible?

Or both?

Opiate

Windu said:
Well anything is better than nothing I guess.

From an historical perspective, I think one could make that argument. I honestly would love it if someone could correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe 2k Sports made a single game for the Gamecube. Not a single one. They didn't even wait for the system to show itself as a third party failure: they weren't even there at the beginning.

From an immediate perspective, and as a gamer, I'm not sure I feel that way. Longer term, we'll see.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Doesn't matter if it's a first or not, the Wii version looks like shit. Both literally and in features. So, if that's the precedent they want to start, I'd take it as a bad sign. There's always Power Pros.

Opiate

PantherLotus said:
2k6 was on GC but your point is extremely valid. Power Pros SUCKED.

Thanks for the correction Panther. I did say "2k" game, because I knew they published Power Pros in America. I don't have a Wii yet, but my understanding is Power Pros was quite good?

In any case, that means, of the following yearly franchises:

MLB 2k
NBA 2k
College Hoops 2k
NFL 2k/All Pro
NHL 2k

Nintendo consoles had, to this point, seen exactly 1 game. I'm not saying this automatically makes it good, as I can certainly understand Kintaro's position on the matter, but I do think it's worth noting that this is progress of sorts for Nintendo home consoles.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Offical MLB Power Pros Thread of Super-Deformed Awesome

PantherLotus said:
Ok I rented this game because of this thread. I play MLB games rarely, but when I do I expect a lot. The important things to me in this genre are: Depth, Presentation, GM mode, and Control. Impressions are based on those premises. (and my basis for comparison is ESPN Baseball 2005 on the PS2). Also, I played using the Classic Controller.

Presentation
I really love the super-deformed characters, but not as much I like just a normal representation. I get the point, too; it allows for more facial expression and an easier suspension of disbelief...neither of which I particularly care about or need in an MLB game. Still, it's not a deal breaker at all and it definitely reminds me of the good ol' days on the NES. Generally, I think its a good looking game, but I have major, major complaint: THE FUCKING MENUS. Holy shit are they convoluted and hard to use. The color contrasts, while nice and bright and consistent with the characters, really makes my eyes hurt. On top of that, the text is impossible to read. As far as the layout, my main complaint is that the layout is distinctly Japanese, with vertical columns and what I perceive to be as backwards layouts on some stuff.

Art: B (don't particularly care but would prefer realistic characters)
Graphics: B (stadiums look excellent)
Menus: D (horribly designed, hard to read, convoluted, and frustrating)
Text: D (slow, not completely skippable, illegible)
Announcing: F (would have been better with none at all)
Overall: C (not completely horrible, but still pretty bad. might stop me from playing.)

Depth / GM Mode
This is a deep ass game. Lots of shit to play with, alter, and upgrade. Perhaps even a little overwhelming. For what appears on the surface as an arcade MLB game, underneath is a very, very deep experience. I love all the different shit you can do: exhibition, league, season, success, GM Mode (w/e it's called), practice, HR derby, and buying baseball cards. A lot of crap to do. So what's my problem? Actually, I love depth, but the depth his hidden by the horrendous menus! Why do I have to do a "player search" when I am starting as a GM and want to do a draft? Why doesn't it pool all the players? Why do I have to minimize the number of players to 99 before players will show up? Why aren't they pre-ranked? My favorite thing in every game is the GM mode and the drafting REALLY pisses me off. I mean, REALLY BAD. Not impossible, but doesn't feel good at all. Why isn't there a big board where you can see what order each team went in? What players have already gone? For every stat that they give you (relevant or otherwise), they make it almost impossible to compare properly. This goes back to the presentation and the menu systems, but man it pisses me off.

The RPG-like qualities are actually very cool...but they should be skippable. COMPLETELY. I don't need a story for me as a GM. I like to make that up in my head. Once I finally got through the horrendous draft process, I was treated to almost 5 minutes of a story about what MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL IS. Apparently, ITS A SPORT IN NORTH AMERICA AND HAS TWO MAIN LEAGUES WITH 14 TEAMS IN ONE AND 16 IN THE OTHER. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE KIND FUCKING INSTRUCTION BUT WHY CANT I REALLY SKIP THIS? Oh, just hold down L? NO THANK YOU. I'M PLAYING GM MODE BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT BASEBALL IS. Please, if anybody is listening that is contributing to the sequel: cut that shit out of my baseball game or make it optional. Between the drafting process, the dumbass story, and the fucked up menus, by the time I get to actually "simulate season," I GET ANOTHER STORY ABOUT SOME POINT SYSTEM!!! AARRTRGHHTWTFJESUSFUCHS!!

I have zero doubt in my mind that there are people out there that would consider this god's gift to the baseball mind, but for me, holy jesus above, I can't kill this thing quick enough. I feel like I'm playing something that isn't really meant for me, like watching a movie full of cultural in-jokes that has been somewhat mistranslated into my current language. Not sure wtf is going on here.

Back to depth, though. It's deep, just so frustratingly convoluted with things I don't want in my MLB game that I never really have the desire to go any further and really test that depth. I never got past the May in GM mode, and its why I rented the game. Pretty disappointed.

Control/Gameplay
Ah, but MLB isn't MLB w/o pitching and batting, right?! I'm actually thoroughly impressed by the control in this game and have few complaints. I like the pitching setup, but am finding the control stick on the CC to not be exactly right. I also wish they would utilize the control pad for quicker pitch selection. I love the cursor-battle between the pitcher/batter (similar to 2k games in the past). Disappointed that a pitch count isn't readily viewable (anybody ever see it in game?).

I LOVE the batting, even if it feels a little easy (I know this can be changed). I really like moving the bat up and down and trying to chase the ball and have fun doing so. I got so good at it that I almost swing at every first pitch (knowing full well that this is against everything I hold dear in my MLB-strategic mind). The fielding is fine and is old school. As somebody else in this thread noted, the fielders feel VERY slow. Not sure why, it just doesn't feel exactly right. It might be the lack of legs, or they might actually be slow.

I'm extremely pleased they didn't make this "Wii Sports Baseball with Teams and Fielding" on the control front.

Overall
This is a game meant for hardcore (Japanese) MLB fans and it shows. Its very deep, has tons of modes, and a myriad of things to do other than actually play baseball. The control and actual play is top notch and could be used as a model for other games, with some slight tweaks to fielding and a couple better visual cues in place. Players that enjoy a little story will really LOVE this game. Lots to read, nice stories that fill in the gaps between games and practices. Guys that don't want this at all will be friggin pissed. The GM mode seems pretty deep but I simply don't have the patience because of the one thing that brings this game down: presentation. For me, it makes it unplayable outside of exhibition games...and I really just want to draft a fresh team for my pathetic (but rising!) Royals. The draft, the menus, the text, and the story are all horrible and detract from my personal experience.

All of that said, I KNOW some people will love this game; it's a great baseball game with some quirks and an appeal outside of what standard-fare MLB games will give. This just isn't for me at all. :|

(and it has nothing to do with the super-deformed characters--I love 'em)

I think that goes into my problems with MLBPP

Top Bottom