• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major League Baseball 2k8 Official Thread

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I still don't understand why companies do that, I see no benefit at all. I could understand I guess if the game was extremely bad but that just is not the case, from all the impressions I have read it is better than 2k7 and that was not a bad game. Stupid thing to do I think, oh well i'm buying it regardless, since there is no other choice for 360 owners.

Lobster said:
Regarding the Wii version..

From Matt and Bozon.

Avoid at all costs.
It doesn't look that bad
for a Wii game. : P

Will be trading in my 2k7 version of this game for this version. $5 Best Buy replacement plans for sports games ftmfw! :)

Jammy

Banned
Hmm... I just looked at those videos IGN posted of the Wii version and the game doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the screenshots have led everyone to believe. The pitching system looks great (this is actually the first baseball game I've seen with that view for pitching... but then again, I'm not too into baseball games) and the player animations look very fluid and different.

I kind of want a baseball game now because the Tigers look like they're going to be a beast this year, and I'd love a realistic game, but I can always hope for an MLB Power Pros 2008.

Windu

Yeah the videos look better than what the screens showed. The game should look better though, the wii is much better. I guess I expect too much.

Fatalah

I've got my customized roster alllll figured out for my 2008 Yankees. I never thought I'd be so excited over custom batter music! I never understood what fans of the old game (2k3-2k5) were talking about...

gray_fox224

Fatalah said:
Good job OP!

Deals:
target.gif

++ $10 Off MLB tickets for any team with purchase of MLB 2K8 // Subject to availability //
nice!

Cereal

Just picked this up at lunch. The manual has the bare minimum, but what more do you need really? Can't wait to get home and test this beast out. I spent countless hours on 2K7, and I expect no less from 2K8.

Fatalah

Just picked up my copy for the 360 from my Gamestop in Queens, NY. Store was busy with people pickin up baseball games!

Ok, I just played a game so here are some impressions...

- I adore the card system. I unlocked 4 Cubs in my first game... D.Lee, Aram, Pie, and Ted Lilly. I had Rich Hill start the game but he took a line drive to the head in the first inning and had to leave with a concussion. All the cards I unlocked were commons, aka big salary cap hits for the Card game.

- Framerate... what the fuck? When you hit the ball, the second it switches to the overhead view the screen jerks and shakes for a few seconds. I've never seen anything like it. When fielders throw the ball, you can see the ball starting and stopping in mid-air. I thought the framerate problems were fixed? It's actually A LOT worse than last year. I have to say, my 360 is on the brink of death and it's all video card meltdown related I think... so is it my 360 acting up or is the game miserably coded still?

- I'm not a huge fan of any of the "Analog 2.0" controls. Swing Stick for hitting, to me, is just Maddenizing baseball games... aka making them unnecessarily complex. I switched it to pressing a button to him, and hitting feels really nice. I hit 4 homeruns in the game, but I was also playing on rookie. All of the homeruns I hit were fastballs as well.

- Fielding is a lot better, but using the analog controller to throw to the bases is overkill. Again... Maddenizing.

- Pitching is... meh. It's not hard to do, it's really easy in fact. It's just so many steps to throw a damn ball. It doesn't feel like it makes the game better or more fun that I'm doing Skate-esque moves to throw a slider. I actually tried to turn it off at one point, but the "precision" pitching they have as the alternative is actually horrible. They clearly dedicated all of their time to analog pitching.

- The animations and player models are pretty spot on. They even had Matt Murton's batting stance. I'm surprised at how for the most part every players uniform is properly worn on them.

I'm trying so hard to like this game, because the card game is so damn cool. But I'm tempted to take it back and get the Show... really tempted. Every time I pick up the 2k baseball game with such hope because Ben Brinkman is involved, and then I get home and realize the game is a mess. Then I tell myself I'll never buy a 2k game again, and I do.

Windu

I have played two innings of a game so far......losing 6-0 :( Tigers vs. Braves.

I love the pitching, but I suck at it right now. I have seen some improvement so far, namely the first pitch of the 2nd inning wasn't a homer. Anyway this pitching interface is fun even though I suck, should be better once I get the hang of it.

The Fielding is great as well, love the throwing. Makes you feel like you have more control over the throws.

I never really used the swing stick last year, usually stuck with buttons but so far its good, I might switch back though, but I assume that people that liked the swing stick will love this one.

Hit variety is much better so far, I have seen popups, dribblers etc..

Best thing so far is no robbing of HRs!

So far so good, better than 2k7.

Cereal

Any indication of the slowdown issues being brought up over on the Operation Sports forums? Not really a big deal to me, but some of those guys are in meltdown mode it seems

Cereal said:
Any indication of the slowdown issues being brought up over on the Operation Sports forums? Not really a big deal to me, but some of those guys are in meltdown mode it seems

It just occurred to me to watch some videos on IGN and see if it was showing the same issues I had. I seriously think it might be my 360 on the verge of death, because the videos on IGN look pretty damn smooth when the balls goes into play.

I've had it happen a few times when I'm playing random games where the system locks up and the screen looks like a checkboard, and turns into various shades of pink or green. So that's why I think the video card is starting to die on me.

Windu

It does slow down, no 60 FPS, but its solid. I don't go crazy over that kind of stuff so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I haven't noticed much slowdown while batting and pitching though, I don't think I have noticed any at all, fielding a little bit when it switches views but nothing serious.

shpankey

not an idiot
PhlivoSong said:
I'm trying so hard to like this game, because the card game is so damn cool. But I'm tempted to take it back and get the Show... really tempted.
I say do it, The Show is f'n awesome dude, you will not regret it. It even beats my alltime favorite oldies [the last MVP and the old High Heat's].

I'm getting this game for the sim aspect for my 360, but I'll be actually playing The Show, it is lights out.

Fatalah

PhlivoSong said:
Then I tell myself I'll never buy a 2k game again, and I do.

If I had a PS3, I would not be buying MLB2K8. You're nuts for not buying it!

Spent the last hour playing. Here are my impressions:

++ Graphics are on par with last year's game. Colorful and full of textures.

++Crowd is detailed just enough to not be annoying . When the camera pans out, the stadium looks great with a packed house.

++In my first quick-play game, the uniforms were blustering around. Then I realized the weather was set to "Windy".

Played next game with weather set to "calm" and uniforms looked great.

++Noticeable framerate slowdown is experienced when ball is hit to the outfield. Was less significant when weather was set to "calm".

++When playing quickplay or a single exhibition game, the weather seemed to match the current weather in my area! (I'm in NYC, it's a rainy day, therefore in my game at Yankee Stadium, it was raining). Could be a random coincidence though!

++Playing on a standard-def TV is not a good idea. Text is way to small to read! I can't even figure out the pitching icons! I think an HDTV is pretty much required to enjoy this game.

++ You can set customized music for just about every situation. i.e. "Game winning home-run", or the batting music for a certain player. I just CANNOT figure out how to do this! Apparently, you select a player's name, and select a "playlist". Why not just a single song? I ripped 20 songs to my HDD, but I don't see them. Just playlist files.

++Player photos are totally outdated and ruin the game's presentation IMO. How can the game have Joba and Phil Hughes face scanned for their player models, but not have a simple photo? The aforementioned players are given a generic computer modeled face.

++Main menu screen has be revamped, imitating the right-analog scheme of current EA-sports titles. A welcome change.

++Pitching controls are really something else. I really can't believe Kush figured this system out, it's really out there in terms of complexity. I gave up 11 runs in 5 innings in my first outing. A practice pitching mode is available right in the game menu, to practice even while you're in a game.

++Commentary is pretty much identical to last year's game. The crowd audio seems new however.

++The manual is like 5 pages long. The thorough in-game tutorial is pretty much all you need.

++XBOX Live has an update for the game as soon as you pop the disc in.

++Game studders for one second at the end of a play, if you turn off replays and cutscenes.

Windu

Just finished my first game, won. 7-5. Came back from 5-0.

I have gotten the hang of the pitching now, its a blast. Very fun.

I switched back to classic hitting, never liked the swing stick.

If you liked 2k7 then you will like this game, great game.

Oh and the Braves GM Frank Wren is a genius, somehow he convinced the Diamondbacks to trade Webb and Haren for Teixeira and Hampton. Pure Genius....I love video games, you can do anything! :D

KarishBHR

Windu said:

Oh and the Braves GM Frank Wren is a genius, somehow he convinced the Diamondbacks to trade Webb and Haren for Teixeira and Hampton. Pure Genius....I love video games, you can do anything! :D

All i needed to hear

Im torn because all my friends have 360's and will be buying MLB 2K8. I liked The Show demo but I REALLY enjoyed MLB 2K7 last year and there is no way Im buying 2 baseball games.

Windu said:

well that pretty much solves my problem. :lol

Shamrock

Banned
PhlivoSong said:
- Framerate... what the fuck? When you hit the ball, the second it switches to the overhead view the screen jerks and shakes for a few seconds. I've never seen anything like it. When fielders throw the ball, you can see the ball starting and stopping in mid-air. I thought the framerate problems were fixed? It's actually A LOT worse than last year. I have to say, my 360 is on the brink of death and it's all video card meltdown related I think... so is it my 360 acting up or is the game miserably coded still?

I was reading about this on their forums. Supposedly these framerate problems are only present when playing the game in either 480i/1080i. If you set to resolution to 480p, 720p, or 1080P it doesn't happen.

What system are you playing on? If your on 360 you can try to change the resolution to 720p (even if you tv is native to 1080i the 360 will scale it). Then see if that fixes the framrate. Unless you on a SDTV? Then your fucked.

Windu

Accuracy of Braves Roster:

Kelly Johnson - Very Accurate, looks just like him, stance is perfect
Yunel Escobar - Again Looks just like him, his stance is not right though, uses a generic stance.

Chipper Jones - Yep looks like him, and stance is perfect
Mark Teixera - Looks like him, perfect stance
Jeff Francouer - Yep, and yep
Brain Mccann - Yep and yep, although he should probably be slower, I mean come on he is sloooooooowwww in real life.
Matt Diaz - Actually got his face right this time, stance no.
Mark Kotsay - Looks like him, but the stance is different from 2k7, might be right, not sure though since he is new to the braves.

Smoltz - Looks like he did in 2k7, close but not him. Delivery is perfect though.
Hudson - yep and yep

Gonzo - Yep and Yep

Infante - Looks kinda like him, never seen him bat so not sure about the stance, its not a generic stance though.

Thats all the players I have used on the Braves roster so far, looks pretty accurate so far.

Fatalah

I'm cracking guys, I'm really cracking.

I'm sick of this game. I've tried my hardest to like it, but there are just too many flaws. I can't believe 2K is the only option for 360 owners, thanks a lot Take Two.

This is the third year I've had to deal with a sub-bar baseball game. Not having a good baseball game to play is the only reason I regret owning a 360. I can't believe this. The game's overall presentation is so discombobulated. I don't understand why there has to be a dive "button" rather than using the right analog stick. Batting is just plain unfair--is it possible to hit a ground ball or to pull or push a ball without aiming?

Just like NHL2K8, MLB2K8 turned into a mess of ideas executed with no precision at all. I feel like I'm playing a work-in-progress. I can't believe we're paying 60 bucks for audio from 2005.

As baseball fans, we NEED EA to buyout Take-Two. Brinkman has not done enough. Either that or Blue Castle should take-over.

I'm really frustrated guys. I'm not a hater, I've just had enough of being screwed out of good game.

Coop

Fatalah said:
I'm cracking guys, I'm really cracking.

I'm sick of this game. I've tried my hardest to like it, but there are just too many flaws. I can't believe 2K is the only option for 360 owners, thanks a lot Take Two.

This is the third year I've had to deal with a sub-bar baseball game. Not having a good baseball game to play is the only reason I regret owning a 360. I can't believe this. The game's overall presentation is so discombobulated. I don't understand why there has to be a dive "button" rather than using the right analog stick. Batting is just plain unfair--is it possible to hit a ground ball or to pull or push a ball without aiming?

Just like NHL2K8, MLB2K8 turned into a mess of ideas executed with no precision at all. I feel like I'm playing a work-in-progress. I can't believe we're paying 60 bucks for audio from 2005.

As baseball fans, we NEED EA to buyout Take-Two. Brinkman has not done enough. Either that or Blue Castle should take-over.

I'm really frustrated guys. I'm not a hater, I've just had enough of being screwed out of good game.

I cant take it either, I'm this close to buying a PS3 for MLB the show.

Windu

Response to 1up review:

They said there are a bunch of wall grabs, I haven't noticed much. I haven't had one HR robbed which is saying something if you played 2k7. The DP on a bunt I haven't noticed, maybe I haven't played it long enough but I know that pitchers are not making amazing plays like in 2k7 that are not humanly possible (well maybe for smoltz they are :D ) And yes the pitching does take time to get used to, when you don't know what you are doing you will get crushed, you just need to sit down and spend some time on it and you will soon find it to be a great way to pitch, very fun. I agree that the crowd is horrible though, still better than 2k7, thats not saying very much though.

Kccitystar

I'm willing to accept that Brinkman dropped this bomb because he intends to have 2K lose the MLB exclusivity :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Holy shit, I am so glad I didn't pick this up today.

I walked into Gamestop, had the game in my hands, and told the girl, "Nah, gonna keep playing COD4 and Lost Odyssey I guess."

Thanks for posting these impressions.

Windu

I figured out how to do the custom music, it is easy. Go to the extras tab and there should be 2k beats, player beats and stadium beats. Just select your playlist that you have saved on your harddrive and then you are done.

edit: GameDaily Review 8

Windu

hmm strange, the game runs a lot smoother when you have no harddrive attached. night and day difference, it runs silky smooth. Now I'm not sure if I should wait for a patch, because this is patchable or go buy a memory card. I think I'll wait, not that big of a deal to me.

Kingpen

Fatalah said:

I know no one will agree with me, but NHL2k8 is actually pretty good with the 2k7 control schemes. Doubt anyone but me put any effort into trying them out though...

Top Bottom