• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major League Baseball 2k8 Official Thread

Sherveen

AkaBalla said:
I'm not having the CPU AI comeback issue in my franchise. What difficulty are you using? I'm on pro and am currently 12-5 in my franchise.

I'm on Pro as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but they will pull almost-comebacks in the 8th and 9th innings on me about 50 - 70% of the time, whether I've got a starter pulling a complete game or a late relief/closer trying to put an end to it. It never happens when I'm in a save situation though, only when I'm crushing the other team.

It's not a huge, huge problem, but when it does happen, I just want to chuck the controller out the window.

Announcers are way off this year... Like Adrian Beltre, a Mariner, being the one named on a Carl Crawford (Tampa Bay) home run. Or a replay of Giambi's homer into the upper decks at Yankee Stadium being called an inside-the-park home run.

Sylar said:
So you got mad because you thought you could treat the Rays as the team formerly known as the Devil Rays?

No my friend, BJ Upton is the new David Ortiz. He will kill all Yankees.

Bahaha, well, it's not just the Rays who pull off these insane and irrational innings. Though your Rays are currently leading us 1 - 0 in a Spring Training game, which is in the 5th inning, Upton having two at-bats, one walk and one out. Doesn't seem like Upton is killing any Yankees. This being an actual ST game, box score here.

Sylar

Banned
Spring Traingins meaningless.

Was James "Yankee Slayer" Shields pitching?

EDIT: Oh, Matt "Joba the Hutt Killer" Garza was pitching. I see Moose is back to giving up runs again!

Fatalah

Straight from 2Ksports

3/7 Update - Please note that some control issues are resulting from players having their guitar / drum controllers plugged into their consoles. These controllers are used for music games such as Rockband and Guitar Hero II & III. Please unplug these controllers prior to playing MLB 2K8 as they were not connected to consoles during pre-release testing and are causing unexpected consequences at this time.

3/7 Update - 2K Sports has identified the framerate issue as not being server-related. Some users have been suggesting that you only need to log-off of an internet connection (Xbox Live for X360 users), but this is not true. The issue is isolated to the Virtual Identity Profile's data transfer.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
wtf, I just finished a season in franchise mode and chipper jones retired....35 years old. lame.

KarishBHR

Yo... I'm on a college connection and would love to play a any GAF members tonight online.

PM me if you want to play any time tonight, ill be checking GAF frequently

GT = On The Rochks

Cloudy

Banned
Been playing some more with 2k7 controls and besides the performance issues, the game is very good. I like it more than MLB 08 now :D

Windu

2k8 you mean? They did say they were working on a patch but I'm not sure how long it will take. I haven't played the show so I don't know if I like it better but I do know that I don't want to go back to using buttons for fielding and pitching.

Fatalah

Windu said:
2k8 you mean? They did say they were working on a patch but I'm not sure how long it will take. I haven't played the show so I don't know if I like it better but I do know that I don't want to go back to using buttons for fielding and pitching.

Yeah, I never imagined that I'd be reaching for the right-stick when I switch and play MVP baseball. But that's what's happening to me now!

As for the catch-up AI issue--- I have a gamesave that I've been playing over and over again the last few days.

The gamesave picks up from the 3rd inning, tied 1-1. Every time I play, I have the lead going into the 8th, but it's always blown! SIX TIMES NOW!

I'm not giving up. I'm going to keep on playing the gamesave until I win.

Windu

I haven't even seen a review for the PSP or the PS2 versions, so I assume they are terrible.

Sylar

Banned
I can't decide on the controls. I learned to do the new pitching mechanic, but feel it's too much work just to throw a stupid pitch, so I reverted back but ended up giving up 8 runs in one inning by James Shields, which is fake and would never happen IRL.

Also whats up with the outdated rosters in the begining? Aybar still on the Braves? Santana still a Twin?

Fatalah

Sylar said:
I can't decide on the controls. I learned to do the new pitching mechanic, but feel it's too much work just to throw a stupid pitch, so I reverted back but ended up giving up 8 runs in one inning by James Shields, which is fake and would never happen IRL.

Also whats up with the outdated rosters in the begining? Aybar still on the Braves? Santana still a Twin?

Go to the XBOX LIVE area of the game. Then go to "Online Desk", and there's an option to download a roster set from 2/29/08.

Opening day rosters are expected to be made available too, as was done with last year's game. One good think about 2kSports is their constant roster updates.

Sylar

Banned
So i'm going through Franchise with the Rays (WTF @ small text), and no one wants to trade with me, for any of my players. Which is unlike last year, when I could get a trade whenever.

But the game still makes stupid trades. Carlos Pena straight up for Joe Nathan. Would love to know this games algorithms. :lol

But the Rays have the best SP and Relief in the league, but I can't win a game period when i'm playing. The opposing team ALWAYS gets these cheap home runs that would never happen in real life.

Oh well :/.

I've been playing the demo for the last few days and I actually really like this game. Everything about the gameplay seems a lot better than last years.

One thing I dislike about the demo is that every long ball hit to RF at Fenway ends up being a Ground Rule Double. What the hell is with that? I know the walls are short out there, but come on.

How does the actual game compare to the demo? The demo seems a little choppy at times, which is a minor annoyance and this thread is full of the same.

I'm still debating whether I'll be paying $60 for this game. As much as I like playing the demo, it doesn't seem to be telling me to go buy it. I get a "wait until a price drop" vibe.

Sylar

Banned
I was able to win games in the demo but I can't for the life of me win a game in the full game...it's so weird.

_Angelus_

Banned
Windu said:
wtf, I just finished a season in franchise mode and chipper jones retired....35 years old. lame.

David Wright probably forced him into early retirement.
That or Larry then went on to dunking. He sits on a plank wearing a hooters thong,Mets fans nail him with condom covered baseballs.
:D

No b.s. comebacks from the computer here though. Everything was my fault when I was getting rocked badly. I never knew bout the second button press to change your speed,Billy Wagner got taken deep by the Marlins and lost a game. After I read up on the mixing of speeds when pitching the game has become less of a slugfest.

I hope they fix the damn sluggishness of the game. Sometimes it drastically effects your fielding causing you to blow easy or critical plays,and I hate having to log off with my profile just to fix this. I want to earn those cards and points.

A patch for this can't come fast enough.

Sylar

Banned
I'm startin to think they removed turbo but forgot to balance the OF, I keep getting triples for no reason. Also I can't win. No matter what, I just can't. Even simulating I can't, I think they have a "Rays can't win" piece of code in there. I mean look at my line up:

SP:
Verlander
Kazmir
Wilis (Dontrelle)
Shields
Garza

1B : Ryan Howard
2B: Akinori Iwamora
SS: Bartlett
3B: Eva Longoria
RF: Clif Floyd
CF: BJ Upton
LF: Carl Crawford
DH: jonny gomes

How is that not winning games? And no it's not because I suck, I played MLB 2K7 on the hardest difficulty and The Bigs on Super Hard.

Windu

2K Games Responds To MLB 2K8 Framerate Concerns
It has come our attention that there are a few technical issues within Major League Baseball 2K8 that may effect gameplay enjoyment for some players. 2K Sports is currently working on several downloadable updates that will correct these issues for both the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 console versions. Specifically, the Xbox 360 update will alleviate reported concerns with the framerate to greatly improve the in-game playability, while a patch for both the Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 will correct an error in Franchise mode when playing as the San Diego Padres and attempting to move players to and from their minor league rosters. These updates are currently undergoing technical review, and will be available to download shortly, free of charge

Sylar

Banned
Why don't they learn to fucking develop a fucking game correctly before selling this fucking piece of fucking fucking fucking shit.

I can't fucking believe it. This game is a piece of shit. I knew I shouldn't have fucking bought it.

I was up in the 8th 9-4 when I brought in my SU and guess what BLOWN FUCKING SAVE FUCK YOU 2K YOU FUCKS. Then I bring in Zumaya the closer and guess what HE BLOWS THE FUCKING SAVE TOO. FUCK YOU FUCKs at 2K. Learn to develop a damn game.

And it was against the fucking yankees too, my night is so fucking ruined. I just want to break this disc. I can't even tell you the fucking pain that Jose Reyes bobblehead is going to fucking face.

Perhaps you fucks should be bought out by EA that way theyll actually get some fucking monkeys with fucking brains developing this shit.

Mrbob

Yeah I played the demo on 360 for a half inning before I deleted it. I feel bad for 360 only owners who are stuck with this game.

_Angelus_

Banned
Sylar said:
I hope that gives you an idea how terrible this game is and how much bullshit the come back AI is.

Terrible? Son,come on over and I'll take you through spring training. The game ain't perfect but its not terrible,fuck no.
:lol

Sylar

Banned
Not being able to finish a game without it automatically blowing a save is a game being "terrible".

Like Sammy Sosa "it's sooo reallllllllllllll" terrible.

_Angelus_

Banned
I just dunno how anyone can suck no bad. I've played 8 games and have a 5-3 record with the Mets,I'm playing on Pro,with sliders adjusted so that teams I play against can better steal and bunt the runners over,they play real baseball.

Honestly,this isn't an insult when I say this but dude. I mean learn how to pitch. Buy and use the advanced scouting reports before playing a team series,learn how to pitch off speed,use your speed on the bases,bunt the runner over,do the basics. Hell put the sliders down if you need to win a game. Most of all go and get a closer who can mix up a decent variety of pitches.

Sylar

Banned
Windu said:
I haven't had trouble blowing a ton of games. My advice: Don't Suck.

I'm not sucking. I held the Yankees 9-4 throughout the whole entire game, yet once I bring in a new pitcher in a new inning it's an automatic catch up. It's ridiculous. Seems to only happen in the eigth but still ridiculous and unnacceptable.

Sylar

Banned
Angelus said:
I just dunno how anyone can suck no bad. I've played 8 games and have a 5-3 record with the Mets,I'm playing on Pro,with sliders adjusted so that teams I play against can better steal and bunt the runners over,they play real baseball.

Honestly,this isn't an insult when I say this but dude. I mean learn how to pitch. Buy and use the advanced scouting reports before playing a team series,learn how to pitch off speed,use your speed on the bases,bunt the runner over,do the basics. Hell put the sliders down if you need to win a game. Most of all go and get a closer who can mix up a decent variety of pitches.

I have the best closer in the game on my team. That's not the problem. I know how to pitch, I pitched in real life all the way until I was done High School. It's just bullshit AI.

I play the game on Pro. Last year I could play on All Star and like I said, could play the Bigs on Super Hard. It's not me, it's the game.

Hitting doubles off of in the dirt fastballs? Riiiiight.

_Angelus_

Banned
Windu said:
I haven't had trouble blowing a ton of games. My advice: Don't Suck.

Same here. I'm wondering what type of pitching people are playing with. I hate the new type with the analog motions to deliver the balls movement and location,bleh that stuff it just none sense to me. I go with the stripped down basic type pitching,that gets the job done for me.
I really wonder if people are changing speeds and hitting corners to succeed in the game,thats how I'm keeping my ass alive in close games.

Sylar

Banned
I play with the 2K7 version, and NEVER use the same speed. EVER. I always get pinpoint accuracy too because i'm amazing at that (again, Super Hard on Bigs) and pitch around the corners. I'm not an idiot. I don't throw high sliders or fastballs down the middle :)lol ). Just the game is a piece of junk and cheats. Maybe because you guys touched the sliders it doesn't do it but I haven't touched the sliders and it cheats every damn game.

You can't tell me getting 5 runs off of Dan Wheeler FRESH out of the bullpen off of 3 doubles with pitches in the dirt is realistic, or hitting a up and away fastball for a two run homerun is realistic. It's just bullshit.

_Angelus_

Banned
Sylar said:
I have the best closer in the game on my team. That's not the problem. I know how to pitch, I pitched in real life all the way until I was done High School. It's just bullshit AI.

I play the game on Pro. Last year I could play on All Star and like I said, could play the Bigs on Super Hard. It's not me, it's the game.

Hitting doubles off of in the dirt fastballs? Riiiiight.

Try to adjust the sliders maybe? The computer tends to hit allot of long balls on the default sliders,hell I can imagine what must be going on with you playing your games in the A.L. then. Lower them abit to where you see just the right amount for your games.

As for crazy doubles,it depends on allot of things. Wind conditions make poppers bloops,going with a pitch and sharply hitting it down a line past an infielder can easily go for a double,even if you golf one thats in the dirt. I dunno man,I am not seeing these terrible things you are. Swear to god I love the game,and I'm skeptical about all of todays baseball games,hell R.B.I. is still my favorite one to play with an editing program. :D

Sylar

Banned
I love the game until the eigth inning. That's it. All of a sudden my outfielders stop running as fast and they ALL hit line drives right in the middle of the two outfielders. Like i've seen them hit it the exact same spot three times in a row.

I just don't know what to do about those two innings. Also, isn't there a patch for the game out? I havne't updated it all (I don't have a connection) so maybe that patch that was out on release day fixed this.

_Angelus_

Banned
Sylar said:
I play with the 2K7 version, and NEVER use the same speed. EVER. I always get pinpoint accuracy too because i'm amazing at that (again, Super Hard on Bigs) and pitch around the corners. I'm not an idiot. I don't throw high sliders or fastballs down the middle :)lol ). Just the game is a piece of junk and cheats. Maybe because you guys touched the sliders it doesn't do it but I haven't touched the sliders and it cheats every damn game.

You can't tell me getting 5 runs off of Dan Wheeler FRESH out of the bullpen off of 3 doubles with pitches in the dirt is realistic, or hitting a up and away fastball for a two run homerun is realistic. It's just bullshit.

First of all I don't think youre an idiot,I'm sorry if I came off sounding like that. You just sound really frustrated and it came off as funny,sorry about mocking.

Adjust your damn sliders though dude. Everyone plays differently,its not some crime to adjust them yaknow(smirk.) The game is suppose to play at your level,thats what the sliders are for.

As for your problems above,I had some issues with some of the comebacks the computer had against me. After blowing a 4 run lead against the Marlins I lowered the homerun power that the default sliders were on,but raised the computers tendency to steal and bunt more often,it made for a ore balanced and better game. I already said all this above but it bares repeating because it does make for a much better experience.
Your team has way too much talent to be blowing games,I think you need abit more time with adjusting your game to play at your comfort and tempo.

_Angelus_

Banned
Sylar said:
I love the game until the eigth inning. That's it. All of a sudden my outfielders stop running as fast and they ALL hit line drives right in the middle of the two outfielders. Like i've seen them hit it the exact same spot three times in a row.

I just don't know what to do about those two innings. Also, isn't there a patch for the game out? I havne't updated it all (I don't have a connection) so maybe that patch that was out on release day fixed this.

Late innings are critical,they can be momentum changers,great fielding is a must.
You already know this but be sure to do this,log out of your profile so that you don't experience any sluggish control when fielding the ball. Thats the one damn thing I hate about this game,the fielding can go to hell because 2K sports fix their game properly,the sluggish fielding and frame rate can fuck up your game so bad in the late innings. I really don't care about earning cards or points in the game so I always log off my profile to gain my pinpoint fielding. But 2K sports had better fix this because its very annoying.

Sylar

Banned
I haven't noticed any slowdown in my game so I haven't been signing off. Wonder if that's why my fielders can never get to a fly ball.

_Angelus_

Banned
Sylar said:
I haven't noticed any slowdown in my game so I haven't been signing off. Wonder if that's why my fielders can never get to a fly ball.

Well its more like a sluggish,jerky motion when the screens moves when the ball is hit or thrown over the field. But yes just log off your profile and see the difference,its pretty dramatic for me. One more thing,be sure to know how to change fielders when when going for a fly ball. The manual that comes with this game is beyond bad so its easy to overlook simple routines like calling off a fielder that running for the same fly bll you are. I had Ryan Church collide with Beltron and the ball dropped,Beltron left with a 3 day concussion.:(

I never knew how to call off a fielder,its somewhat buried in all those menus. The use of the X button calls off another fielder,no stupid 3 stooges collisions.

Sylar

Banned
Yeah, I learned that last year when Ichiro got ran into by Manny and was out for 3 years with a broken arm. :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I played the PS3 demo and it's amazing to me how bad it looks compared to The Show. I thought they were aiming for full 60 fps this year.

I completely forgot about a pre-order that I did at half.com, then today I got the notice that somebody accepted my offer of $35.

I guess I'm the proud owner of MLB 2k8 now :lol

It isn't too bad, though...$37 after shipping for a game that only came out like a week ago.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fatalah said:
I've heard only good things about the Show on the PSP, I wouldn't even think about MLB2K8.

I have the demo for Show and I don't know what's wrong with baseball games now, but the mechanics of these things have gotten too damn complicated. I think baseball games need a reboot. I think MVP 05 was the greatest baseball game ever, and all they've done since is overcomplicate the games while simultaneously introducing bugs to make simple tasks like baserunning unintuitive.

Specifically, why can't these companies learn to make a demo. I downloaded the 2k8 demo on Ps3 and I can't even figure out how to effin pitch effectively. Plus it looks worse than last year's game imo. Also, the PsP demo for the Show is much better, but the simple act of pitching and hitting are just too difficult on the default settings. I don't want a game where I hit a homerun every at bat, but damn if I can't ever know what the hell I'm swinging at (ball or strike) or where in general my pitches end up. At least for the Show, I can tell there's a good game there if I can get used to it (I plan on picking up the Ps3 version), but the demo is terrible for newcomers to the series like me.

As for 2k8, that's quite possibly the most horrible demo I've ever played.

/rant

Windu

VanMardigan said:
Specifically, why can't these companies learn to make a demo. I downloaded the 2k8 demo on Ps3 and I can't even figure out how to effin pitch effectively. Plus it looks worse than last year's game imo. Also, the PsP demo for the Show is much better, but the simple act of pitching and hitting are just too difficult on the default settings. I don't want a game where I hit a homerun every at bat, but damn if I can't ever know what the hell I'm swinging at (ball or strike) or where in general my pitches end up. At least for the Show, I can tell there's a good game there if I can get used to it (I plan on picking up the Ps3 version), but the demo is terrible for newcomers to the series like me.

As for 2k8, that's quite possibly the most horrible demo I've ever played.

/rant
This video should help you out if you are having trouble with the pitching.

WTF is with all these injuries? Does anybody else have this problem?

Before I even got through with the first week of my season, the following people went down:

Tom Gorzelanny - out for 10 days
Paul Maholm - out for 9 days
Freddy Sanchez - out for 14 days
Xavier Nady - out for 1-2 months

The Pirates are bad enough with all those players in the lineup, imagine how bad they would be without them.

Windu

No Framerate Fix For PS3 said:
Loot-Ninja contacted 2K and received specific confirmation that there is no framerate fix coming for the PS3. The only issues that will be addressed in patches are the framerate for the 360 and the Padres’ roster glitch for both systems. There are no other changes to be expected out of these patches and no others currently in the works.
Link

Top Bottom