• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MajorNelson streaming with the new XboxOne Twitch App

Getting weird sound stutters but it looks good. I wonder if it will look worse watching from an xbox. I noticed PS4 streams look great on the twitch site but terrible in the ps4 app

Haven't tried an x1 game on twitch but the xbox one has had a twitch app for viewing since day one and I've had no issues.

xkramz

I wish he'd clarify seeing chat. I know he said he can snap it in, but he also said he sees it on his Surface. I wonder if the Surface is showing Twitch chat via SmartGlass, or if he just has Twitch loaded in the browser. SmartGlass for chat would be fantastic.
Twitch app on your phone has chat only mode which he's implying.

The most important question may be answered when it's over: will it be archived?!
Yes

Kibbles

Looks great on Source, but are we sure this is from the actual twitch broadcast app on XB1? The statement in the OP doesn't say that at all.

Looks great on Source, but are we sure this is from the actual twitch broadcast app on XB1? The statement in the OP doesn't say that at all.

why not? when he went away from the game it loaded the cute "pause" screen and then went back to the game when he went back.

jabuseika

It is, confirmed by Major Nelson on stream, and he was reading chat from a surface tablet. I'll add it to OP.

xkramz

I can confirm he a streaming through xbo twitch app

I can see "1 broadcast" on the home screen. So I went to major Nelson name and joined his live stream through his xbl profile and it jumped into the twitch app automatically

jond76

Banned

I can see "1 broadcast" on the home screen. So I went to major Nelson name and joined his live stream through his xbl profile and it jumped into the twitch app automatically

nice

Yup, did the same here.

hawk2025

Just to be fair to the first replier, the stream WAS very blocky when he replied.

It improved significantly since then.

jabuseika

Just to be fair to the first replier, the stream WAS very blocky when he replied.

It improved significantly since then.

Yeah, when it first started it was severely blocky. Maybe it was just a matter of Twitch catching up on the quality across servers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
quality of the ps4 and major nelson's stream look about the same to me.

stream quality on ps4 has varied depending on the streamer's connection though...so i see a lot of people with really bad quality streams...maybe they are on 1Mbps up connections?

what does your upload have to be to get the highest possible quality stream on these consoles? thought it was around 1.5-2Mbps but can't seem to find the documentation.

Yes. He's said that multiple times in the stream. You can also tell it's the app because when he does things in the system UI, it goes to the Xbox standby screen.

Bsigg12

Something kind of interesting, they built in tools for mods of Twitch to temp or perma ban consoles from streaming if a streamer is showing inappropriate things like dicks.

Edit: I had to double check on a site there, but it's Gamertags, not consoles. I had to find the Polygon article because a site that sourced them made that a little more volatile than it should have been. Sorry.

VanWinkle

It's awesome that PS4 had streaming since launch, but it could definitely use some improvements, namely having better quality, archiving, and just a camera showing up when you don't want chat instead of a big sidebar (though you'd want that sidebar on your end so you can see the full image). Heck, I don't think chat needs to show up on the user's end, although it would be nice to have that option.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Something kind of interesting, they built in tools for mods of Twitch to temp or perma ban consoles from streaming if a streamer is showing inappropriate things like dicks.
The first GAF thread on a person being "wrongly" banned will be epic.

It's awesome that PS4 had streaming since launch, but it could definitely use some improvements, namely having better quality, archiving, and just a camera showing up when you don't want chat instead of a big sidebar (though you'd want that sidebar on your end so you can see the full image). Heck, I don't think chat needs to show up on the user's end, although it would be nice to have that option.
You can do just the camera on screen but I definitely agree with your other points.

The first GAF thread on a person being "wrongly" banned will be epic.

Wait, perma ban the console itself? Oh boy.
Not from LIVE, but from streaming from the console.

furious

Banned

stream quality on ps4 has varied depending on the streamer's connection though...so i see a lot of people with really bad quality streams...maybe they are on 1Mbps up connections?

what does your upload have to be to get the highest possible quality stream on these consoles? thought it was around 1.5-2Mbps but can't seem to find the documentation.

Xbox One is streaming just under twice the amount of pixels vs. PS4.

PS4: 960x540 (540p) @ ~1500kbps
Xbox One: 1280×720 (720p) @ ~2500kps (?)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The quality is far better than the PS4 app, every day since BF4 launched, there have been one or two guys that I watch that stream from their PS4 every day in addition to the main guys that I watch. This is really crisp, and it's smart that the chat shows up on your own screen but not for those who are watching on Twitch, which is also far better.

Best news is that it saves archives, which is another thing the PS4 app doesn't do, which is perfect for me since I can just save entire gameplay moments with chat audio regards of whether I make clips on the Xbox One itself.

Very, very impressed - all I need is the right price and the games I'm waiting for to come out and I'm in.

Not at all the same quality to me. Maybe your connection is not so good?

Top Bottom