• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man gets World's first successful Penis Transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/13/south-africa-man-penis-transplant

A 21-year-old man in South Africa has received the world’s first successful penis transplant and accepts the organ as his own, doctors said on Friday. The operation took a team of surgeons nine hours and has allowed the patient to become sexually active. The man’s penis was amputated three years ago after a circumcision went wrong at a traditional initiation ceremony. The patient, who has not been named, received the new organ from a deceased donor on 11 December and has regained all functions. Professor Andre van der Merwe, head of the urology division at Stellenbosch University, whose staff carried out the operation at Tygerberg hospital in Cape Town, said the recipient is doing “extremely well” both physically and psychologically.

“The patient accepted the penis as his own,” he told the eNews Channel Africa (eNCA). “He told me in no uncertain terms that the fact it belonged to somebody else is completely out of his mind and he’s moved on with this as his own penis. That’s absolutely the way we want it.”

Van der Merwe described the groundbreaking operation as “very, very difficult”. He told eNCA: “What we did was to manage the small blood vessels in the penis, which are really only a little bit more than a millimetre wide, to existing blood vessels in the abdomen that has come down, and we could connect that up. But the patient is “a very fit young man” and making “a good recovery”.

But the South African man and his partner are coping well, according to Van der Merwe. “Huge psychological effects. If you add an organ you make a ripple effect on somebody’s ego, you can even induce psychosis … He was obviously carefully screened to be psychologically stable before we did this.” The recipient’s girlfriend was offered counselling but declined, Van der Merwe said during the interview broadcast on Friday. “We were very thankful that it all worked out in the end and the patient’s doing well … The patient is sexually active again and is very happy.”

_81634485_penis.jpg

It's finally happening.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"The patient accepted the penis as his own," has to be the funniest phrase I've heard come out of a medical professional in years.

CoolOff

GAF needs to step up and join the donation registry, a lot of poor souls out there could use a few extra inches.

i wonder what the length limit is for these transplants?? i can see dudes taking this overboard real quick.. "doc i need my dick big, like real big. like wiffle ball bat size."

ampere

Could have some weird dirty talk.

"Yea you like that dick, it's not even mine but I'll bone you with it anyway"

studyguy

How do you accidentally cut off a dude's penis during circumcision?
More to the point, how much of the penis was actually cut off and replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom