• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man Seeking Woman Season 3 |OT| Wednesdays on FXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This is one of my favourite shows but, despite repeatedly trying, I have yet to convince a single person to give it a chance.

Loved that episode. Why aren't more people watching this!?

I don't actually know enough single folks (or married folks or folks in a relationship) that would be interested in watching this. It doesn't help that I also don't know how to make them interested in the show kind of like how I can't convince people to watch Shameless.

Dereck

Once again this show touches on things that are relevant to my life. I'm used to living alone in my apartment and because of that, there are things that I generally ignore.

Like the decor, down to every room, making things look presentable. I figured if I ever wanted to have company over I would probably need to spice things up a bit. While I wouldn't necessarily say that this is an "adult" thing to do, I do think it's important for people to like being in your apartment/house because it's clean, smells good and looks nice.

At a certain point I even get a little conscious of how I'm affecting my apartment, like if I go workout and come back, I don't just put the clothes in the hamper and leave them there anymore like I used to, I put them in the washer so the smell isn't going out through the apartment, or even better, wash the dirty workout clothes immediately.

These are just things I've noticed whenever I've had women over and I've made baby steps to improve and fix this issue.

With that said I feel like because this show is a 20-minuter it kind of suffers because it doesn't give some episodes enough breathing room. Like for example this episode I feel could have used another 20 minutes, not sure why, maybe because the show presents itself like a movie sometimes.

IenjAoO.gif

Mariolee

Just noticed in the GIF that Lucy takes a second after everyone laughs before she starts laughing. I love these small little touches.

From what I can tell, there's no way to properly market it

I don't actually know enough single folks (or married folks or folks in a relationship) that would be interested in watching this. It doesn't help that I also don't know how to make them interested in the show kind of like how I can't convince people to watch Shameless.

It's on FXX and it's a weird show. Hard to sell it to people. I'm glad they've stood by it in spite of the ratings.

I've actually gotten a couple of my friends to watch it after I raved to them I binge watched both seasons in 2 days. Since my friends all watch HTGAWM I just tell them that Rebecca is a main character now. Seems to be working haha

TripOpt55

The premiere was so good. Lucy is a great fit so far. The cold open was the perfect way to introduce her. I love how ruthless she was towards the one friend. Each segment was funny which I honestly find rare with an episode of this show. As much as I like it, often there is at least one dud in the bunch. Great start to the season.

Ross61

That was really great episode. This is one of best and consistent comedies on tv right now. And it is so refreshing to see Josh in a stable and (seemingly)non-toxic relationship. Lucy is a great character and a great fit for Josh.

man_seeking_woman_murder_roommate_by_digi_matrix-daubbbi.gif

lmao new season off to a great start. Will be interesting to see where they take this new stability, might just be an illusion of safety for the audience to then get the rug pulled out again.

Premiere didn't do much for me, didn't find it very funny. Certainly wasn't bad (at all), but felt safe. Interested to see where they go now that he's no longer "seeking," I guess.

This was the first episode I've seen of this show, without really knowing anything about it, and I really enjoyed it.

I'll stick with catching this after Sunny. Is there anywhere to catch up on this other than Hulu+ in the US?

This was the first episode I've seen of this show, without really knowing anything about it, and I really enjoyed it.

I'll stick with catching this after Sunny. Is there anywhere to catch up on this other than Hulu+ in the US?
Nope, it's exclusive to Hulu at the moment as far as streaming goes.

curb

Banned
I'm so glad this show is back. I really enjoyed the new episode. Might not be my favorite of all time but still good.

huh, I haven't watched the first episode of the season because looking it up I apparently didn't watch all of season 2

what was the last scene of season 2?

I remember Rosa and then I could have sworn things didn't work out and then at the end of the season Jay Baruchel found someone else sitting on a bench but that may have been season 1?

Mariolee

Did anyone else think Rosa's rejection of Josh last week came out of the blue considering she was the one who was openly leading him on the entire episode ever since her breakup with Mike?

Also did we get any numbers on this season premiere's ratings yet?

A couple of reports from the TCA panel today:

- ‘Man Seeking Woman’ Reboots To Look At One Adult Relationship
- Katie Findlay: Half the internet thinks my Man Seeking Woman character will die
Findlay, who has been killed off a lot in her previous work, plays main character Josh Greenberg’s (Jay Baruchel) girlfriend Lucy.

She told the Television Critics Association (TCA) winter press tour: “The internet is really excited, and half of them think I’m going to die anyway.”

Bonus panel pic:

That episode was 18 minutes long. Did it feel really short to anyone else?
Yes, it was short. :/

Echoing what the AV club pointed out last night, I wonder when they're going to squeeze in more Eric Andre this season or if he's going to be sidelined for a lot of it.

Neverwas

Damn, I didn't realize AV Club started reviewing the show again. I kind of died inside when they stopped at episode 5 last season.

Quick

Banned
Definitely felt like a short episode. Still good though.

I think, either in the exact same situation or similar, we've all been there. lol

Just watched the first two episodes of the season, amazing and really glad to see the quality hasn't dipped. Just when you think the show is about to get back to mellow and reality it just cranks it up a notch. The first episode worked a lot better for me as it kept building up and up in craziness but I liked all the small touches of episode 2, especially the "parents guide to millennial apartments". I will have to remember to complement my daughter's etsy $200 decorations next time I visit.

This show definitely deserves a lot more love than it gets.

Missed last week's episode, bummer.

Mike's office. Nice.

Fucking Mike, lol. "Sucks."

Lol, Mike is such a baller. The best Whistleblower to date.

Insert topic that doesn't interest your interest or the person's interest. Then you talk about a person they know and they open up.

I feel like that's basically how I start a convo with people I rarely know. It's such a dumb way to break the ice but damn does it get people talking. So of course that's what Lucy talks about when she hangs out with Mike, lol.

Mike is also a murderer now.

TripOpt55

Had to pause on the shot of Mike's sex portfolio pie graph to read everything. My favorite was "After Midnight Denny's Crowd" (or something to that effect)... haha. I think it was the largest section too.

- Onion A|V Club interview: Jay Baruchel and Britt Lower avoid the pitfalls of singlehood on Man Seeking Woman
AVC: A lot of people classify Man Seeking Woman as a surreal comedy, and that works, too. But there are also a lot of little things that seem kind of bizarre at first, but are really just straightforwardly funny. I think that’s what we got with “Ranch.”

JB: Awesome. I agree completely. Our show—it’s hard to fit it into one little tagline or one sentence. The best way I can describe our show is that it’s handmade. It has a soul, it has a personality. You can tell when you eat a cookie if it came from your mom’s oven or from the store. I think we make cookies from our mom’s oven, so stick to that analogy. But I think you can feel a very distinct voice in our show, a combination of voices.

I think that when you’re watching our show, most people feel it here. [Hits his chest.] There’s a bullshit meter. You can tell. Even if you don’t like it, you can tell when something’s authentic. I think that whatever issues anyone might have with our show, nobody would ever take issue with its authenticity. It’s definitive, and we all know what we’re doing, and we all kind of have the same end in mind. What’s awesome is Simon has created this sandbox where we all get to throw ideas in, and that’s how you get things like ranch dressing. Just random people sharing horror stories, and that makes it colorful.
AVC: She’s hyper-competent compared to everyone else. She’s an expert on her family, but that makes her mostly an observer. Josh and Patti are the ones who so far have really had their relationship on screen.

BL: I think what’s exciting for the character of Liz is to see this highly competent person go through something very vulnerable, which is wanting acceptance from your parents, and when they’re not totally geeked about what you’re doing, then it’s such a human feeling. Where the show shines is it actualizes these internal metaphors that we have such a hard time trying to explain, and then Simon Rich so brilliantly paints the visual world so that you can feel what the characters are feeling. Now in our third season, we’re finally getting good at talking about it, because it’s been a hard show to explain to people.

AVC: Yeah, there’s a visual shorthand. Lucy gets beaten up pretty bad in the premiere, but a great first date with Josh wipes the slate clean. There’s no real dialogue, but because most of us have been there, you just understand.

BL: Yeah, there’s a universality to the specifics of the show that are so delightful. I often say you can watch the show on silent and you’ll still get a very rich story because the world is so visually compelling. All of its absurdity and surrealist theater antics, it’s actually a quite sincere show about trying to find love, and not only love romantically, but between Josh and Liz, it’s that sister-brother love. Mike and Josh, it’s that brotherly love. As I said for the Liz episode, it’s about, how do you show the people who are closest to you in your family how you love them? It’s hard.
More via the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom