• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes sledgehammer to Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Window

they are paid for IIRC so unless they don't want his money it will?

because he paid for it.

I know that they are paid for by the 'star' themselves (or from someone who will on their behalf) but I didn't realise they offer it to anyone. Donald's presence in showbiz has mostly consisted of hosting a single reality tv show. I guess that's sufficient?

Henkka

Banned
Surely there's some criteria you have to pass? Like being a well-known public figure in the show biz, at least.

Seesaw15

Been a busy year for that star
b9qS36A.jpg

650x366

CdL4bCbWIAAIdbU.jpg

LA resident here, Hollywood Walk of Fame gets vandalized all fucking day. They'll probably replace it eventually.

Haven't seen someone physically destroy a star though, that's a new one.

Someone scratched RAPIST into Cosby's star a few years back iirc. Deep enough they had to resand it
cosby-star.jpg

It's worth noting that the Walk of Fame is maintained by the chamber of commerce iirc. You see city workers out there fixing them all the time.

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce isn't part of any government, why do city workers work on the walk of fame?

"Nominees must have a minimum of five years' experience in the category for which they are nominated and a history of "charitable contributions""

So Donald shouldn't have one in the first place.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I live in a small but very democrat (and hispanic) city in California, and someone had the idea of putting a big Trump sign near the mall. I knew it wouldn't last and yeah.. within the week, it got torn down with only the metal bars that were holding the sign left behind.

I live in a predominately black and brown city in the Carolinas and someone thought it would be a great idea to put a large "Trump / Pence" sign at a busy intersection. I saw the sign going up on my way home for lunch and on my way back to work, I saw it laying on the ground torn in half, haha

FyreWulff

Reminder that these stars are literally paid advertisements and they all get piss/shat on/hustled over every single day.

Nope. This shouldn't happen. I say this as someone who actually likes Hillary Clinton and loathes the entire republican party. This is vandalism, directed at a symbol, which is only tangentially related to the current race. There's no way for the Hollywood walk of fame committee to anticipate the future of every star they place there.

studyguy

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce isn't part of any government, why do city workers work on the walk of fame?

Eh, it's a public sidewalk and likely the city is responsible for general maintenance, not to say they're gonna fix a busted star, looks like the chamber of commerce or some other private entity puts up donations for actual repairs. Anyway, just meant to say that I don't think the star themselves puts out for formal repairs if something like this happens beyond their initial contribution.

You actually had me curious and it looks like they have the answer on the page for it.

Q: Who maintains the Hollywood Walk of Fame?
A. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is a public sidewalk and is the property of the City of Los Angeles. As the owner, the City has the ultimate responsibility for the condition of the Walk of Fame. Other organizations may assist the City on a voluntary basis with keeping the Walk in good condition. If you wish to report a problem with the condition of the Walk of Fame and you live within the City of Los Angeles, call the City’s helpline (3-1-1) and ask for the Department of Building & Safety Street Services Division. If you are calling from outside the City, dial (213)473-3231.

Q: How does the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce help with maintenance?
A. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce is responsible only for adding new stars to the Walk of Fame and does not have any maintenance duties. However, the Chamber is interested in seeing the Walk of Fame maintained in top condition. Through the Chamber’s “Friends of the Walk of Fame” program, the Chamber raises and contributes money towards the maintenance of the Walk.

Q: What is the role of the Hollywood Historic Trust?
A. The Hollywood Historic Trust is a nonprofit agency whose mission is to preserve the history of Hollywood. The Trust assists the City in making repairs to the Walk of Fame when requested by the City and as its finances allow. The Trust does this on a voluntary basis and does not have any legal requirement to do so.

So taxpayer money supports this and having to repair this?

Nah doesn't seem like it. I think the city would only get involved if it was a public hazard.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
SaddamStatue.jpg

Look at these hoodlums destroying this statue of Saddam. That thing cost money you know. People need to respect public infrastructure.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. This shouldn't happen. I say this as someone who actually likes Hillary Clinton and loathes the entire republican party. This is vandalism, directed at a symbol, which is only tangentially related to the current race. There's no way for the Hollywood walk of fame committee to anticipate the future of every star they place there.

This star is paid for by Donald Trump, including its annual upkeep. Donald Trump will probably also have to pay to replace it now, unless vandalism of this sort is covered under the insurance, so this kind of protest is just about the only kind that Donald Trump actually understands.

Having said all that, it's still a crime and shouldn't happen.

PopeReal

Do I get a sense that some of the lectures in this thread are similar to the ones we get in protest threads? Maybe, maybe not.

Either way if you are worried about what Trump supporters think, stop. If you are just worried about a star being destroyed, then ok I guess.

wildfire

Banned
Was this really worth going to jail over? You know what would be more effective than this? Voting.

I'm proud he did it.

Apprentice is cool and this destruction of property but I feel the defacement has been earned.

Even though I'm still concerned about Clinton's emails I'm getting angry with the thought that Donald won't be touched to see if his borderline illegal activities have crossed a line because the election is in progress.

He deserves a lot of scrutiny he isn't getting enough of so this is sufficient for now.

d00d3n

SaddamStatue.jpg

Look at these hoodlums destroying this statue of Saddam. That thing cost money you know. People need to respect public infrastructure.

Horrible example. To allow the Trump star vandalization would create a bad standard going into the future. Trump will probably lose the election, but the right populism movement is not dead. I guarantee you that they will win elections in the future, just like they have here in the EU. Please don't give them the idea that it is okay to cleanse society of what they hate outside the parameters of the law.

Horrible example. To allow the Trump star vandalization would create a bad standard going into the future. Trump will probably lose the election, but the right populism movement is not dead. I guarantee you that they will win elections in the future, just like they have here in the EU. Please don't give them the idea that it is okay to cleanse society of what they hate outside the parameters of the law.

Well to be accurate the right already cleanse society of what they hate.

Hopefully they replace the damage with another actor and remove Trump from the walk permanently.

I think it costs something like $30,000 to get a star so there could be a legal issue to changing it to someone else, or removing it. I'm not too sure what the agreement is though.

So taxpayer money supports this and having to repair this?

it's privately owned and maintained but we're probably on the hook for this bullshit anyway.

i saw good for this guy. hopefully he just gets fine or something. this doesn't deserve jail time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom