• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes sledgehammer to Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible example. To allow the Trump star vandalization would create a bad standard going into the future. Trump will probably lose the election, but the right populism movement is not dead. I guarantee you that they will win elections in the future, just like they have here in the EU. Please don't give them the idea that it is okay to cleanse society of what they hate outside the parameters of the law.

who is cleansing society? some dude destroyed a worthless object out of anger. we have no reason to be tolerant of trumps intolerance by showing any kind of reverence to him.

d00d3n

who is cleansing society? some dude destroyed a worthless object out of anger. we have no reason to be tolerant of trumps intolerance by showing any kind of reverence to him.

It is a slippery slope. A lot of right wing populists probably have creative ideas about the "worthless objects" in society they want to remove. What do we do if they end up in power and they stop to show "reverence"?

It is a slippery slope. A lot of right wing populists probably have creative ideas about the "worthless objects" in society they want to remove. What do we do if they end up in power and they stop to show "reverence"?

vandalism is not slippery slope to genocide. and the people you're talking about are fucking white supremacists who already have a template for that.

Haunted

landscape-1466435309-trumpstar.jpg
👍

d00d3n

vandalism is not slippery slope to genocide. and the people you're talking about are fucking white supremacists who already have a template for that.

I disagree about that. The US would truly be fucked if white supremacists were held back from taking over the white house only because of a couple of sex scandals. Right wing populists have alarming views in several areas, though, and some of them would probably jump at the opportunity to vandalize their political opponents if society started looking the other way (which you seem to encourage).

Yep, this is how you make people support the anti-Trump agenda.

You know what's going to happen? The idiot at work who supports Trump, will send me this story and tell me that history is just repeating itself, with the "violent left attacking anyone who doesn't agree with them".

I will never be able to convince him anything else, but he talks to people, and he spreads this concept.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not saying it's commendable. But I am saying it's cathartic.

Yep, this is how you make people support the anti-Trump agenda.

You know what's going to happen? The idiot at work who supports Trump, will send me this story and tell me that history is just repeating itself, with the "violent left attacking anyone who doesn't agree with them".

I will never be able to convince him anything else, but he talks to people, and he spreads this concept.

Yeah, youd think a guy driven to destruction because of Trump would understand the effect galvanization can have.

Best way to further entrench someone else's views is to attack them.

Merc_

Destroying that star will change nobody's currently held views on Trump. It would be nice if people would stop pretending otherwise.

That's not how that works...Every star is paid for by the artist who deems him/herself worthy of one. Donald had to petition, pay, and likely bribe the city to get that star..."awarded" is not how I would describe it's existence.

Was about to say: for his work on the fucking Apprentice? Show wasn't even that good. Sure as shit doesn't deserve a star.

studyguy

Yeah, youd think a guy driven to destruction because of Trump would understand the effect galvanization can have.

Best way to further entrench someone else's views is to attack them.

Doesn't hurt that you're talking about CA, one of the states with the largest proportion of Latinos in the country.

MrBadger

Surprised it didn't happen sooner. I wonder how many swastikas have been scrubbed off that star over the course of the election cycle

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Was this really worth going to jail over? You know what would be more effective than this? Voting.

Yes. Just because it was a Fame Star of someone you dislike does not eliminate the fact that it's a serious act of vandalism against the property of the Hollywood Historic Trust. This is a huge tourist attraction, too.

Was this really worth going to jail over? You know what would be more effective than this? Voting.
How? The star would still be there if he just voted. I think this is super cool if the guy was aware of and okay with the consequences. I'd probably hire him once he gets out of jail too.

Running for President was a great idea, Mr. Trum- errr, Scion?

big ander

That's not how that works...Every star is paid for by the artist who deems him/herself worthy of one. Donald had to petition, pay, and likely bribe the city to get that star..."awarded" is not how I would describe it's existence.

Well yeah, somebody had to pay. But it wasn't the Donald:
5KkQcMP.png

YES! Generally don't like being the after dark, Specially don't like taking the train out of the after 10 pm cause all the crazies flood the train going into downtown.

idk after dark the tourists and most of the spangers are gone. Maybe it's because I live in the area but I'd rather be there at midnight when it's largely people out drinking than midday flooded with tourists

As dumb and pointless as this should be, I can't think of something Trump would find more insulting than having his name removed from something.

D i Z

lol is it really that bad?

No it actually isn't. It tappers of into less touristy and more low rent the further east you walk, but it is nowhere near as much of a dump as people are making it out to be. There was a time when talking that midnight walk alone was asking for trouble, but like any other street, the further you venture away from the heavy foot traffic areas, the more aware of your surroundings you should be. The community around the bar scenes and local spots is actually really friendly and welcoming.

bounchfx

I feel like violent supporters are not supporters at all. This kind of shit does not help and will probably just enhance Trump's narrative. It's foolish and short sighted

Fluvian

Banned
Oh well done, because we all know he's the one who's gotta go down there, get on his knee's an replace it.

Fucking pointless.

PopeReal

I feel this thread is just heading in the "be nice to Trump and his supporters" direction.

The guy didn't hurt anyone. He took out his frustration on a star. He never threatened anyone. He didn't tell them to get out of the country. He didn't even call them rapists or criminals.

Some of you want others to tip toe around Trump and his racist platform. Sorry, it deserves to be called out at every point possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom