• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man takes sledgehammer to Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

I dunno. MLK seems to be fairly highly regarded.

I see destructive vandalism as violence.

"I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action”
- MLK

I always love when people bring up MLK, 99% of the time it doesn't work out well for them.

dude you don't understand, white dudes who would never get harmed by fascism tell me that i should give fascists a platform to speak their mind to a large audience

Ms.Galaxy

I always love when people bring up MLK, 99% of the time it doesn't work out well for them.

That's because they only know whitewashed MLK; the guy who condemned rioting (he was neutral mostly), never blocked traffic with protests (lol), walked down Washington, made a big speech, and everyone got equal rights, and then he was killed by a racist.

Honestly speaking, looking back in my U.S. history books from high school, when it comes to MLK, it's such a small section and it never bring up anything except the feel good moments of his campiegn.

Monocle

I don't condone this action but I will observe that there are worse ways to prick the swollen ego of a fascist.

I feel this thread is just heading in the "be nice to Trump and his supporters" direction.

The guy didn't hurt anyone. He took out his frustration on a star. He never threatened anyone. He didn't tell them to get out of the country. He didn't even call them rapists or criminals.

Some of you want others to tip toe around Trump and his racist platform. Sorry, it deserves to be called out at every point possible.

kavanf1

I completely see RiccochetJ's point. It's as simple as "actions have consequences". Well done for badgering him into leaving the thread though, good job.

Ms.Galaxy

I completely see RiccochetJ's point. It's as simple as "actions have consequences". Well done for badgering him into leaving the thread though, good job.

Well according to the report, police said the man could be charged with felony vandalism. So there's his consequences. Furthermore, the man who did this had no political agenda except the fact he's pissed off a sexual assaulter and possibly child predator is running for president. So, meh. I don't see anything major coming out of this. The slippery slope argument coming from them is unnecessary.

Well according to the report, police said the man could be charged with felony vandalism. So there's his consequences. Furthermore, the man who did this had no political agenda except the fact he's pissed off a sexual assaulter and possibly child predator is running for president. So, meh. I don't see anything major coming out of this.

And thats just for starters. Add to that: a dangerous racist, xenophobic, misogynist ignorant puppet of a foreign adversary working to undermine core democratic norms.

Fuck his Hollywood Star.

kavanf1

Well according to the report, police said the man could be charged with felony vandalism. So there's his consequences. Furthermore, the man who did this had no political agenda except the fact he's pissed off a sexual assaulter and possibly child predator is running for president. So, meh. I don't see anything major coming out of this. The slippery slope argument coming from them is unnecessary.

The fact that this made international news would suggest that it impacts more than the guy who did it and Trump. We can choose to close our eyes to the ramifications of our behaviour (when it suits us), but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But he made up ridiculous fantasy consequences to make that point so I'm not sure it's valid

And then he did that thing that kind of racist people always do with MLK

Ms.Galaxy

The fact that this made international news would suggest that it impacts more than the guy who did it and Trump. We can choose to close our eyes to the ramifications of our behaviour (when it suits us), but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Oh please, there's not going to be any ramification from this, it's just a stupid star. Stars get vandalized all the time, this made big news because the star was own by someone currently running for president.

It's a star on the walk of fame. People barely think about them until they're actually in Hollywood or see it in a movie. It's impact is making people remember that citizens who don't tolerate Trump's BS exist. Any further consequences are in your head meant to convince you that any rocking of the boat is bad and everyone should behave themselves in the face of disgusting, xenophobic rhetoric and those who spread it.

kavanf1

I can see that anything I say isn't going to make an impact. Instead I'll just say there's a reason why Michelle Obama and latterly Clinton use the phrase "when they go low, we go high". Smashing up that star was going low, no matter how much of a prick Trump is.

I can see that anything I say isn't going to make an impact. Instead I'll just say there's a reason why Michelle Obama and latterly Clinton use the phrase "when they go low, we go high". Smashing up that star was going low, no matter how much of a prick Trump is.

Low how? It's a marble slab on a tourist trap with the name of a bigot, cheat and sexual assaulter on it. It doesn't need your compassion. Like seriously. Convince me as to why this act is a low blow to Trump of all people and Republicans in general in any way, shape or form.

Nothing you're saying is going to have an impact because it's not well said or rooted in reality.

Don we even know that this was done by a liberal and not a moderate/conservative that's mad that their party was ruined by Trump? Do you say this same kind of thing every time somebody writes "rapist" on Cosby's star?

Syder

While I agree with your sentiment, always take the high road with low lifes like Trump and vandalism is never excusable, on the other hand, it's. a. fucking. Hollywood. Star.
It's completely meaningless. I'd much rather someone vandalised something as trivial as a Walk of Fame star than did something like firebomb a GOP Office or attempt to assassinate Trump.

Fuck Trump and fuck the guy who did this, basically.

While I agree with your sentiment, always take the high road with low lifes like Trump and vandalism is never excusable, on the other hand, it's. a. fucking. Hollywood. Star.
It's completely meaningless. I'd much rather someone vandalised something as trivial as a Walk of Fame star than did something like firebomb a GOP Office or attempt to assassinate Trump.

Fuck Trump and fuck the guy who did this, basically.
I think the genius of this is that while completely meaningless, you know this hurt Trump on a personal level more than the firebombing. It's great!

Carcetti

Not really, he said that this was equal to violence and it would lead into people beating upo Trump supporters on the street. Not really the same thing as 'consequences', more like wild leap of slippery slope.

Keasar

0e5fd0091333b94cbde2f764970076238119d6a807e73edf1e4b86c9e85c2383.jpg

I am so very in the middle on this...

Ingeniero

What an idiot.
Destroying stuff....
The Donalds star no less... I hope he gets caught.

Does Gaf not understand the concept that not all Trump supporters are neo-nazi KKK white supremacists? Jesus people.
I agree with this, generalization about Trump is huge in some places.

Does Gaf not understand the concept that not all Trump supporters are neo-nazi KKK white supremacists? Jesus people.

of course not all. but there are a lot of them. and trump is a white supremacist himself. which begs the question: why are these good wholesome people supporting trump?

i can understand their anger at a system that has failed them but trump will make their lives worse.

You strip that all away and you still end up supporting someone who wants to nuke the Middle East and let Russia take over the United States.

I did forget warmonger and easily-swayed puppet. And liar. Which brings up the issue as to what these non-deplorable Trump supporters actually see in him that isn't his hatred, his bluster, his perversity, his incompetence and/or his cowardice.

I did forget warmonger and easily-swayed puppet. And liar. Which brings up the issue as to what these non-deplorable Trump supporters actually see in him that isn't his hatred, his bluster, his perversity, his incompetence and/or his cowardice.

he tells it like it is.

Speaking anecdotally, a lot of people I know that are voting for Trump are doing so less because of him and more because they dislike Hillary, want a less liberal Supreme Court nominee, vote Republican exclusively, or like his talks of rejuvenating the economy. Take with what what you will, but it's not because they want to see a white America

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Can you explain what that has to do with any of this? A person vandalized Trump's symbol of success as a protest against Trump. What do his supporters have to do with it? It's not his supporters that make him an awful garbage monster, he is intrinsically awful and that happens to attract awful supporters.

Can you guys imagine if trump supporters were doing this

Doing what? Smashing Hillary's star on the walk of fame? Or do you mean doing this thing specifically as a false flag operation?

Aeana

Speaking anecdotally, a lot of people I know that are voting for Trump are doing so less because of him and more because they dislike Hillary, want a less liberal Supreme Court nominee, vote Republican exclusively, or like his talks of rejuvenating the economy. Take with what what you will, but it's not because they want to see a white America
They're still voting for him knowing exactly what he stands for. You vote an entire person and all of their policies and behaviors into office; you don't get to pick and choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom