• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT3| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HxH

wow the dude is known as the rat for a fucking reason, such a douchebag. :O

And it was expected that Ging wouldn't see Gon at all since he believes in him to reach on his own.

Now it seems everybody is gonna try and use their wits.

flintstryker said:
HXH

Where's the part where that Partison guy mentioned Gon? cause I really don't see it.

The way how Ging just randomly shows up is actually one of the reasons why I like HxH so much, it constantly break shonen rules the death of the all powerful King was another such example.

Pg 13

gunbo13

Ignis Fatuus said:
Unless I'm completely misreading Vulcan, I think she's totally tsundere for Keima. She starts out hating his guts and then she's all speechless after he does his romantic spiel on Tsukiyo. Next thing we know she's insisting that he carry her around.

Though perhaps the jealousy runs deeper in Diana or something. I don't know. I think Diana just needs more juice because Keima hasn't been doing a whole campaign on her. It took two kisses on all the others but Tenri's only had one.
The only thing is that Diana has been the only one on the level with Keima. The other goddesses have really been flippant and they are secondary to the hosts. Diana is more of the primary then Tenri. That doesn't really make a case of her being the reason out of jealousy/love but it is something to consider. It could very well be just that power-up aspect though. Or maybe it will be a sub-plot where Tenri believes that is the answer yet the real reason for the failed wings is her own feelings, etc...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
flintstryker said:
HXH

Where's the part where that Partison guy mentioned Gon? cause I really don't see it.

The way how Ging just randomly shows up is actually one of the reasons why I like HxH so much, it constantly break shonen rules the death of the all powerful King was another such example.
You sure that isn't Togashi being lazy as fuck? I want to end this sooner lets have Netero kill him. Wait I'm feeling enthusiastic even for Togashi, let's bring him back like Cell. Fuck that I'm lazy, he dies from the poison afterwards. The End.

Oh and I'll add a chapter out of place that seems to happen after everything, else out of nowhere.

Wow so close to the end of this thread again.

Naruto
Well...huh...Dan just being there not controlled or doing anything was just wtf worthy. everything else was just meh to me.

Bleach
I must say i really am liking the pacing of these fights. May be a bit to far in the other extreme but hey,it's better than each one of these lasting 3-6 months.

Infinite Justice said:
HxH

wow the dude is known as the rat for a fucking reason, such a douchebag. :O

And it was expected that Ging wouldn't see Gon at all since he believes in him to reach on his own.

Now it seems everybody is gonna try and use their wits.

Pg 13
don't see it

flintstryker said:
don't see it

?

hunter-x-hunter-2693881.jpg

Sai

Halycon said:
So, I guess Kishi forgot that clones split the original's chakra evenly.

Lolz consistency.
It only splits up the chakra that's kneaded for the technique. The user doesn't have to convert their entire reserve of stamina into chakra just to make a single Kage Bunshin.

The only reason this is working so well for Naruto right now is due to the fact that he's split up such an abundant amount of the Kyuubi's chakra.

Halycon said:
lol

I forgot if Sharingan works with clones? Anyone want to refresh my memory?
Unless there are any noticeable differences in chakra amount/activity(like the exploding Kage Bunshin Itachi left for Kurenai that Kakashi noticed), the Sharingan cannot tell the difference between a Kage Bunshin, and the original body.

Genjutsu has no effect on Kage Bunshin either.

Halycon said:
Wait wait, I thought it was established that once the clone dies you lose all the chakra used to make it.

Oh so it is returned. Well that's silly.
If it's manually dispelled, the remaining chakra returns. It's how Naruto's method of gathering natural energy for Senjutsu works out.

If they're destroyed, the chakra is lost.

Articalys

Hayate no Gotoku 339

"It may be raining, but you need to pull yourself together and go to school."
"But the HD PS3 releases of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are out!"
"You can get those after school is out. And this manga is set in 2005!"

Fantastic. There were apparently some reference to currently-airing series Mawaru Penguindrum a few chapters back as well.
Also, that money-as-life metaphor is actually pretty interesting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sai said:
Unless there are any noticeable differences in chakra amount/activity(like the exploding Kage Bunshin Itachi left for Kurenai that Kakashi noticed), the Sharingan cannot tell the difference between a Kage Bunshin, and the original body.

Genjutsu has no effect on Kage Bunshin either.
I meant if the Sauce's clones can use Sharingan.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Zoramon089 said:
I never imagined Ging to look like such a hobo
Someone post the picture of Ging from the HxH anime where he is riding a Dragon on top of an even bigger Dragon with a flock of dragons following him.

HxH

Oh jeez, furry dog-girl.

Nice to see Ging finally. As has been said, kind of a subdued reveal, but that might be testament to the strength of these other dudes rather than his lack of importance. Can't wait to see them in action.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
FlightOfHeaven said:
I really want to read HxH, but the fact that it proceeds at a snail's pace puts me off.
I say read it. It's a fun ride. It's not worth waiting for the thing to be completed before you start because who knows when that's going to happen.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
FlightOfHeaven said:
I don't want to have another Berserk on my hands. :(
To HxH's credit, the arcs are relatively self contained, and the Chimera Ant are is more or less concluded now.

This isn't a get to an island for a decade kinda thing.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So Hodi's tragic past:

- Mother rape, he's half human?
- Mother experimented on, he's half sea-king, explaining his fear of mermaid princess?

Dudes taken a hell of a beating, must be something special with his body.

Griffith

Banned
Drifters

Not bad so far. Interesting setting and the action has been good, it has the potential to be a lot of fun like Hellsing was.

Wiseblade

Pie and Beans said:
So Hodi's tragic past:

- Mother rape, he's half human?
- Mother experimented on, he's half sea-king, explaining his fear of mermaid princess?

Dudes taken a hell of a beating, must be something special with his body.
Doubt it. He's kicked the dog a little too hard to get a redemption arc.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh he's definitely beyond redemption so no HODI'S JOINING posts, but all villains normally get their motivations explained however briefly. Rob Lucci even got a flashback to explain he's been a sociopath allllll along, d'awwwwwwwwww.

Wiseblade said:
Doubt it. He's kicked the dog a little too hard to get a redemption arc.

I think that by the sound of it we might get an explanation for why he's kicking the dog this hard though, evil as he his, the fact that he's going this far just for his ill-concieved revenge against humans makes Enel seem like a sane villain.

Lain

By chance (I was checking the new manga announcement in Italy) I saw a short interview to Mari Yamazaki done by the Italian editor Star Comics in anticipation of the publishing of Thermae Romae this month as well as Mari Yamazaki being a guest for Star Comics at Lucca Comics & Games 2011.
I thought there were a couple of interesting things in it, and I know at least one person (flawfuls) reads Thermae Romae as it is being scanlated in English, so I decided to translate it (at best of my abilities, hope I didn't make too many mistakes) and post it here, thinking that maybe some of you might have been interested in a couple of the things Yamazaki says about Thermae Romae:

S.C. = Star Comics
M.Y. = Mari Yamazaki

1) S.C. : When did your career as a mangaka begin?

M.Y.: My career as a mangaka started during the last year of my stay in Florence, in 1994, when one of my manga got selected in a contest for newcomers organized by the Japanese editor Kodansha.

2) S.C.: How did you get the inspiration for Thermae Romae?

M.Y.: There are various elements that got me to create that story: a series of visits to roman ruins in Italy and Middle East, where I'd often notice the remains of thermal baths (at a time in which I didn't even have a bath tub in my house, something really unbearable for a Japanese); the knowledge of the HBO TV series "Rome," where I noticed various roman behaviors that aren't so distant from certain Japanese ones; and lastly some family talks with my husband, in which we discussed these and other things about the ancient Romans.

3) S.C.: Thermae Romae was a big success in Japan, what is the secret of your work?

M.Y.: This manga should never have become a successful manga. It was conceived as a niche manga, but evidently some of its features made it popular. Which? Anyone can try to answer - I think that it's a combination of exoticism and reflection on Japan itself, that attracted the Japanese readers (who are always really interested in understanding how they are seen by foreigners).

4) S.C.: Which mangaka, or works of other mangaka, do you prefer?

M.Y.: Yoshiharu Tsuge, Shigeru Mizuki and Kei Ichinoseki

5) S.C.: Is it true that you speak Italian fluently?

M.Y.: Yes, but I lost the Florentine accent.

Wiseblade

Neoriceisgood said:
I think that by the sound of it we might get an explanation for why he's kicking the dog this hard though, evil as he his, the fact that he's going this far just for his ill-concieved revenge against humans makes Enel seem like a sane villain.
NOTHING will make Enel's "I'm going to the moon! By the way, I'm killing you all. Because I can." seem sane. And Hodi's motivations were pretty well explained in the last flashback. We might not even get a flashback at all.

survivor

Banned
One Piece

Damn Hody is such a tank. Everyone that confronts him just smacks him around and he keeps getting up. So it seems Luffy's Armament Haki isn't even that well developed yet. So he probably didn't perfect his techniques yet.

Steroyd

survivor said:
One Piece

Damn Hody is such a tank. Everyone that confronts him just smacks him around and he keeps getting up. So it seems Luffy's Armament Haki isn't even that well developed yet. So he probably didn't perfect his techniques yet.

I think it's a mix of the armament being weakened by the seawater as well, because it was alot more one sided when Luffy wasn't trying to punch through the water.

Wiseblade said:
NOTHING will make Enel's "I'm going to the moon! By the way, I'm killing you all. Because I can." seem sane. And Hodi's motivations were pretty well explained in the last flashback. We might not even get a flashback at all.

Truth to be told, the "I''m going to the moon/Faery Vearth! Yaaa ha ha ha ha ha!" part made everything else about Enel make sense, namely the fact that he was just absolutely batshit crazy, his end goal pretty much ends all debate regarding Enel's sanity.

With Hody though? The fact that he's being so insane and destructive in a way that almost entirely contradicts his original goals is close to Enel-levels simply because of the pure cognitive dissonance it requires to do something like that.

Based on what we learn in the next chapter, Hody might win the insane award simply on grounds of having, at some point, not been as insane. (presumably)

789shadow

Banned
Steroyd said:
I think it's a mix of the armament being weakened by the seawater as well, because it was alot more one sided when Luffy wasn't trying to punch through the water.
Also, Hody was using his teeth, so maybe Armament is naturally weaker against sharp force because all that power is being channeled to a tiny spot.
Sort of like Kevlar. It can stop a friggin bullet, but isn't much use against a knife.

survivor

Banned
789shadow said:
Also, Hody was using his teeth, so maybe Armament is naturally weaker against sharp force because all that power is being channeled to a tiny spot.
Sort of like Kevlar. It can stop a friggin bullet, but isn't much use against a knife.
That might make sense too. Good against blunt force, weak against sharp objects. So Luffy still can't overcome the sharp objects weakness even with haki assuming it's true.

Ironically, doesn't that imply that his natural weakness is still his weakness? He can now resist blunt trauma even if it's infused with Haki (like sentoumaru's attacks) better, but swords would still harm him just the same.

I wonder if this means that Buggy's Devil Fruit would benefit much more from armament haki than Luffy's.

789shadow

Banned
Neoriceisgood said:
Ironically, doesn't that imply that his natural weakness is still his weakness? He can now resist blunt trauma even if it's infused with Haki (like sentoumaru's attacks) better, but swords would still harm him just the same.

I wonder if this means that Buggy's Devil Fruit would benefit much more from armament haki than Luffy's.
I don't know that it wouldn't help against, say, a swing of a sword, since then the force behind the attack is much more spread out, but I'm pretty sure a piercing attack can break Armament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom