• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trevelyon said:
Then I better get some KY and a sock. But that is pretty excessive and doesn't sound like it's exactly in the service of the plot after that many chapters, yeesh.
lol, when was the last time I heard that phrase used to describe ANY manga?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ONE PIECE
My personal grade: C

Chopper's acting shy is funny, and Sanji's emotional-trauma-empowered kick is hilarious.

Other than that, though, a pretty flashy yet boring chapter. At least this goddamn arc is coming to a close soon.

upandaway

Hayate

AAAHHH

AAHHHHH

WHAT? WHAT?!!

ATHENA IS THE WHAT?!

Edit:
Well ever since this post things have been getting extremely, decisively, very very real. Shit's been getting plenty real for me to swallow. It is the realest of real.

I don't know what to think.

Griffith

Banned
One Piece

That was great. Sanji
S2h34.gif

Usopp and Brook's spreads were the best, and Brook has really grown on me. I was indifferent towards him pre-timeskip, but ever since the skip he's been great.

Ippo

I really want to see that smug grin knocked of Itagaki's face.

Lucky Dog 1 Blast 3

Guilio is pretty cool. I think my second favorite beyond Gian Carlo Bourbon Del Monte. Their conversation was fun, though I didnt see the ending coming. Chp 4 needs to hurry as the thickened plot got deep.

Big One

Banned
One Piece C

Great showcase of character techniques, but a rather boring chapter

Bleach C

Fully expecting WAT A TWEEST soon, but meh chapter otherwise.

Big One said:
One Piece C

Great showcase of character techniques, but a rather boring chapter.

I dont understand, how is high climax action with not one, not two, nor three page spreads "boring"? Id never turned pages faster than that in One Piece since the climactic moment of the Marinford.

Big One

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
I dont understand, how is high climax action with not one, not two, nor three page spreads "boring"? Id never turned pages faster than that in One Piece since the climactic moment of the Marinford.
I find action scenes in One Piece to be more exciting when they matter to the storyline, which this does not. It's cool, but that's it.

One Piece

Just goes to show One Piece is at it's best when the cast is giving it everything they have. Seeing all this power is cool and all but there's a reason why Enies and Sabaody are the best arcs.

survivor

Banned
Kurogane 11

I'm starting to get pissed off at this manga for some reason. Kurogane is some weakass fucker that doesn't deserve any success at all. Yet cause he found the lucky ghost he can easily cheat. This is as bad as the pills shit in The Breaker.

upandaway

survivor said:
Kurogane 11

I'm starting to get pissed off at this manga for some reason. Kurogane is some weakass fucker that doesn't deserve any success at all. Yet cause he found the lucky ghost he can easily cheat. This is as bad as the pills shit in The Breaker.
Yeah there's no reason why Sayuri would stay with him at all. I'd understand if she proposed to some of the better people (such as ahem ahem) and they declined but she didn't even.

cdyhybrid

Bleach

Ginjou's probably going to tell some sob story about how he's the real victim and Soul Society screwed him over, when they probably booted his ass out for doing some illegal shit. Hopefully Ichigo regained some resolve with his powers and tells Ginjou to fuck off before cutting him in half.

PK Gaming

Naruto:
Oh wait :(

Bleach:
It looks like things are wrapping up. I'm glad that Tsukishima is dying or at least near death, i'm getting annoyed at his trolling. Ichigo and Grimmjow are still fighting, but the fight has absolutely no substance, hopefully kubo steps it up because its boring as of now. I doubt his big reveal will be any good (he sucks at those) but i've got my fingers crossed.
Okay chapter.
PS: So I wanted kubo to give Rukia a bankai, and instead he gives "Riruka."

One Piece:
While I liked how the majority of the characters got to kick ass (specifically Sanji, Usopp and Franky;fuck chopper, and Zoro's attack was boring), i'm a little mad that Robin didn't get to show off (nobody cares about nami) my main beef with Oda is obsession with http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DesignatedGirlFight trope. He has never once deviated from this in a main fight, not even once. Even Naruto and Bleach has at least mixed it up a little, (Sakura & Chiyo vs Sasori, Shikamaru and almost all of his fights, Madara and Konan etc) but Oda hasn't deviated once (not that i can remember)
All in all, it was a good chapter, i'm just salty.

789shadow said:
Straw Hats are Four Yonkou level. I suspect that will become an official title when the beat Kaidou.
There is no way that the SH at Yonkou level yet. If they are it will be really boring since no villain will be cause any problem for them to beat.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Of all the crews of Strawhat, I personally think that Zoro is the most boring of all. Compared to the others, I always see him as somewhat one dimensional both in his personality and in his techniques.

Hmm... this is my personal rank of the strawhat's crew, from the ones I like the most to the ones I like the least:

Luffy > Nami > Robin > Usopp > Sanji > Brooke > Franky > Chopper > Zoro.

One piece

Dedication Through Light said:

I personally found it really boring since the enemy is fodder. They did not cause any problems to the SH. There was no tension or anything. They were defeated very easily. For fodder the SH used a lot of techniques.

Bleach
Angry Grimace said:
He had that crazy rant when he went down about how he was pissed off that people could serve the Soul King and called it an "it" and a "thing." I don't remember exactly what he said.
While it is true, the Soul King is a linchpin which without him there will be no SS. Aizen tells Urahara that the victor decides how the world should and not the way it is, which heavily implies that he wanted to change the status quo. I just reread the chapter to make sure.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Beam said:
One piece

I personally found it really boring since the enemy is fodder. They did not cause any problems to the SH. There was no tension or anything. They were defeated very easily. For fodder the SH used a lot of techniques.

Bleach

While it is true, the Soul King is a linchpin which without him there will be no SS. Aizen tells Urahara that the victor decides how the world should and not the way it is, which heavily implies that he wanted to change the status quo. I just reread the chapter to make sure.
The spirit king is probably like some kind of eldritch abomination

Big One

Banned
Beam said:
Yeah but that isn't any different from the other two manga right now either.

Kusagari

Beam said:
Bleach

Or it could imply that he was upset that someone as smart as Urahara, whom Aizen admits is more intelligent than him, would follow that linchpin and not get rid of it. Aizen could simply want to change the status quo because he truly believes the Spirit King is an inhuman bastard creature.

Which the Spirit King likely is.

Steroyd

Beam said:
One piece

The first arc since the timeskip was always supposed to showcase the SH's growth, the problem is that it took so long to get to the point mainly because the lore of Fishman Island was foreshadowed for a long time.

Big One said:
Yeah but that isn't any different from the other two manga right now either.
Well i found Tsukishima´s battle with Byakuya, and the 5 kage against Madara very interesting. Tsukishima was not easy to defeat, and Madara will not be easy either, that if the kages defeat him.

Kusagari said:
Or it could imply that he was upset that someone as smart as Urahara, whom Aizen admits is more intelligent than him, would follow that linchpin and not get rid of it. Aizen could simply want to change the status quo because he truly believes the Spirit King is an inhuman bastard creature.

Which the Spirit King likely is.
Aizen was also upset about why a very intellectual person like Urahara, in what Aizen called it, follow such a thing. In which Urahara replied that there won´t be SS without the Soul King.

Steroyd said:
The first arc since the timeskip was always supposed to showcase the SH's growth, the problem is that it took so long to get to the point mainly because the lore of Fishman Island was foreshadowed for a long time.

While i agree, i think they used too much tech against fodder. I mean Oda should have used the fact that the SH under water in a methode to give the SH trouble in defeating fishmen. Not because the fishmen are strong bu because they have territorial and strategic advantage.

Kagari said:
Medaka Box 123

Medaka apparently defeated by Kamome... :O Zenkichi also begins his training finally.

Why do people keep getting their hopes up? XD

Remember what happened the last time the mangaka said
someone "defeated" Medaka...she let the person beat her down like that on purpose, only to proceed to get up and own them afterwards.

I'm gonna laugh my ass off if in Ginjou tries to feed Ichigo a sob story to avoid getting his well deserved asskicking.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, we never actually learned what sort of weirdness was going on with Rukia that kept surprising Riruka right? I remember her being shocked a couple times at events that happened with no explanation yet.

Bleach
Tamanon said:
BTW, we never actually learned what sort of weirdness was going on with Rukia that kept surprising Riruka right? I remember her being shocked a couple times at events that happened with no explanation yet.
Well, we know that Riruka´s ability is to insert thing in a cute things. When she got an upgrade from Ginjou, she could do more. The most obvious thing is that Riruka entered Rukia´s body and took over her. Riruka can also hide her riatsu apparently after what Byakuya said this chapter. The best thing about this is that we might see what Sado No Shiraoki looks like. Some people are suggesting that SNS will fight and kick out Riruka out of Rukia´s body.

scy

upandaway said:
Hayate

AAAHHH

AAHHHHH

WHAT? WHAT?!!

ATHENA IS THE WHAT?!

Edit:
Well ever since this post things have been getting extremely, decisively, very very real. Shit's been getting plenty real for me to swallow. It is the realest of real.

I don't know what to think.

:), followed ever so closely by some :(

Beam said:
Well i found Tsukishima´s battle with Byakuya, and the 5 kage against Madara very interesting. Tsukishima was not easy to defeat, and Madara will not be easy either, that if the kages defeat him.

Aizen was also upset about why a very intellectual person like Urahara, in what Aizen called it, follow such a thing. In which Urahara replied that there won´t be SS without the Soul King.

While i agree, i think they used too much tech against fodder. I mean Oda should have used the fact that the SH under water in a methode to give the SH trouble in defeating fishmen. Not because the fishmen are strong bu because they have territorial and strategic advantage.

Might just be me, but getting taken out with a 'flower punch' negates all the 'toughness' Tsukishima of the previous chapters.

Ferga

cdyhybrid said:
Bleach

Ginjou's probably going to tell some sob story about how he's the real victim and Soul Society screwed him over, when they probably booted his ass out for doing some illegal shit. Hopefully Ichigo regained some resolve with his powers and tells Ginjou to fuck off before cutting him in half.

I can't see it any other way

chickdigger802 said:
Might just be me, but getting taken out with a 'flower punch' negates all the 'toughness' Tsukishima of the previous chapters.
I am talking about that Byakuya used a good strategy to overcome the difficulty of his opponent. To each their own.

Kreed

One Piece 646:

PK Gaming said:
While I liked how the majority of the characters got to kick ass (specifically Sanji, Usopp and Franky;fuck chopper, and Zoro's attack was boring), i'm a little mad that Robin didn't get to show off (nobody cares about nami) my main beef with Oda is obsession with http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DesignatedGirlFight trope. He has never once deviated from this in a main fight, not even once. Even Naruto and Bleach has at least mixed it up a little, (Sakura & Chiyo vs Sasori, Shikamaru and almost all of his fights, Madara and Konan etc) but Oda hasn't deviated once (not that i can remember)

The more "current" mangas I read, the more stupid and outdated this shit gets.

Beam said:

Like I said when this arc first started, you don't have a time skip in a Shounen series and then expect the Straw Hats to struggle in the first arc after the time skip.

The New Fishmen Pirates were doomed to be punching bags from the beginning and it's a shame that Fishman Island couldn't have come before the time skip (although Luffy couldn't have done the whole "White Beard replacement" angle). Definitely agree about the techniques though.

Kreed said:

Like I said when this arc first started, you don't have a time skip in a Shounen series and then expect the Straw Hats to struggle in the first arc after the time skip.

The New Fishmen Pirates were doomed to be punching bags from the beginning and it's a shame that Fishman Island couldn't have come before the time skip (although Luffy couldn't have done the whole "White Beard replacement" angle). Definitely agree about the techniques though.

That´s not true. When Naruto had the time skip he could not defeat Deidara, or Sasori. Sakura showed some talent, the biggest improvement happened to Sasuke. Naruto did not show much improvement from before to after the time skip besides better chakra control.

Steroyd

Beam said:
That´s not true. When Naruto had the time skip he could not defeat Deidara, or Sasori. Sakura showed some talent, the biggest improvement happened to Sasuke. Naruto did not show much improvement from before to after the time skip besides better chakra control.

Which led to people like me thinking "then what the hell did he spend the last two years doing".

Some people are still holding onto "that jutsu" for christ sake.

Infact when you think about it, if we use the usual timeskip shounen trope, Naruto was fodder for the main character Sasuske.

Wiseblade

TLR 36

Yabuki: And then Zastin and the assassin fight!
Editor: And the assassin's clothes fall off, right?
Yabuki: What? No.
Editor: I'm sorry, did you forget what type of manga we're making?
Yabuki: Don't worry, the first page is a shot of Haruna in her underwear.
Editor: There we go!

¬.¬

Wiseblade

PK Gaming said:
One Piece:

He has defiated from it once. During the Skypeia arc, Robin fought the chief of the God's Army. He was hyped as one step below the Priests, so I guess that counts.

Steroyd said:
Which led to people like me thinking "then what the hell did he spend the last two years doing".

Some people are still holding onto "that jutsu" for christ sake.

Infact when you think about it, if we use the usual timeskip shounen trope, Naruto was fodder for the main character Sasuske.
He was training to control his chakra, which was a huge deal, especially keeping the fox in check. Do you remember when Kishi first introduced Yamato? It showed how Jiraiya got a huge scar on his chest because of the fox. Naruto also trained on how to dispel genjutsu. The thing is i really hope that Luffy is not at admiral level after 2 years of training. If he is now, well, all of his fights will be really boring. The rest of the gang are really powerful too. Well Oda mentioned that the new world have a lot of powerful people, so we just to wait and see.

Haha, on the Sasuke comment.

So far i love the time skip , it's great to see the SH kick ass for the first time in really long while.
Before the time skip Luffy was getting his ass kick for last 150 plus chapters .
I don't expect the SH to really get push until after the next 2 or 3 arcs just like in the beginning of OP .

shiroryu

Snytbaggen said:
I read the pilot and first two chapter of TWGOK, but I'm not feeling it... Does it get good later on?
One of the best romantic(?)/comedy manga I've read in recent years. Its initial episodic conquest nature feels offputting initially, but then past conquests pop up and it starts getting delightfully crazy. Great characters.

Plus anything other than the default milquetoast average/loser schoolboy protagonist is an encouraging sign. Beelzebub, Onidere, TWGOK - all unique protagonists.

Kreed

Naruto and One Piece:

Beam said:
He was training to control his chakra, which was a huge deal, especially keeping the fox in check. Do you remember when Kishi first introduced Yamato? It showed how Jiraiya got a huge scar on his chest because of the fox. Naruto also trained on how to dispel genjutsu. The thing is i really hope that Luffy is not at admiral level after 2 years of training. If he is now, well, all of his fights will be really boring. The rest of the gang are really powerful too. Well Oda mentioned that the new world have a lot of powerful people, so we just to wait and see.

Most people were EXPECTING Naruto to have become a bad ass after the time skip (the chakra control is just knowledge after the fact). He was training with Jiraiya and everyone thought he would have at least learned a couple of new techniques. But other than dominating Kakashi in a quick training session and a uncontrollable Demon Fox form he didn't learn anything significant and very soon we had ANOTHER training session for Naruto which annoyed a lot of people (and another one a couple of arcs later).

I doubt a situation like that will happen in One Piece though (considering we never really see the Straw Hats train). As far as what level the Straw Hats are on, I wouldn't expect them to be beating characters like Blackbeard or the Admirals easily vs struggling like they did against CP9. Like upandaway said, Oda will likely have the Straw Hats learn new moves later in the series for major characters like that. The time skip was only to get the Straw Hats on a level where they can at least stand a chance against all the crazy enemies they introduced during the war.

Steroyd

Beam said:

The problem I have with Naruto's timeskip is that it was two years, which when you think about it relatively, he learnt how to Kage Bunshin just from reading a scroll (when he couldn't even do a vanilla clone in school), he learnt how to form an S class technique the Rasengan in 3 days, heck he learnt how to add wind element in a short space of time after the timeskip and was being told it would normally take years to learn, Sage mode was also done at speed and Jiraiya was supposed to have known about it.

Naruto & one piece
Kreed said:
Naruto and One Piece:
Most people were EXPECTING Naruto to have become a bad ass after the time skip (the chakra control is just knowledge after the fact). He was training with Jiraiya and everyone thought he would have at least learned a couple of new techniques. But other than dominating Kakashi in a quick training session and a uncontrollable Demon Fox form he didn't learn anything significant and very soon we had ANOTHER training session for Naruto which annoyed a lot of people (and another one a couple of arcs later).
I disagree.Chakra control is one of the most basic and important things in the Naruto universe. Naruto learned Odama resangan and how to dispell a genjutsu besides chakra control, which requires a lot of effort especially when he has the fox inside of him.

I doubt a situation like that will happen in One Piece though (considering we never really see the Straw Hats train). As far as what level the Straw Hats are on, I wouldn't expect them to be beating characters like Blackbeard or the Admirals easily vs struggling like they did against CP9. Like upandaway said, Oda will likely have the Straw Hats learn new moves later in the series for major characters like that. The time skip was only to get the Straw Hats on a level where they can at least stand a chance against all the crazy enemies they introduced during the war.
That´s one of my pet peeve of one piece. The crew is never shown to train (except for Zorro lifting some weight) yet they pull moves out of their ass. I don´t need to see them train, but i would like to see how they came up with the idea to get the move or any kind of explanation really.
Steroyd said:
The problem I have with Naruto's timeskip is that it was two years, which when you think about it relatively, he learnt how to Kage Bunshin just from reading a scroll (when he couldn't even do a vanilla clone in school), he learnt how to form an S class technique the Rasengan in 3 days, heck he learnt how to add wind element in a short space of time after the timeskip and was being told it would normally take years to learn, Sage mode was also done at speed and Jiraiya was supposed to have known about it.
All true, but a lot of these kind of training was because Naruto learned how to control the fox´chakra. He learned Rasenshuriken because he had so many clones. He had so many clones because he used his fox chakra. Without using the fox chakra which, Jiraiya taught him, he would not have mastered it so fast. Same with his sage training. He needed to learn how to use natural chakra. If Jiraiya did not teach him how to control his chakra, Naruto would not have learned how to use sage mode. The Jiraiya trainig came in very useful when Naruto was trying to learn Kyuubi mode. So while you say he did not learn much, i would say, teaching Naruto the basics, allowed Naruto to learn all these S class techniques.

too many character fatigue?

1-attack-kill scenes are boring.

I can't help but thinking that some of the main characters should have been killed off.

Beam said:
Naruto & one piece
That´s one of my pet peeve of one piece. The crew is never shown to train (except for Zorro lifting some weight) yet they pull moves out of their ass. I don´t need to see them train, but i would like to see how they came up with the idea to get the move or any kind of explanation really.

This is one of the things i love about One Piece i don't need to see the crew train or need a detail explanation for some things .
Plus for a few of the SH it would make no sense to see them train or need a explanation.
For eg Nami we know she is a genius when it comes to weather , she will get better as she gets better weapons same can said for Ussop and Franky .

FlyingTeacup said:

I can't help but thinking that some of the main characters should have been killed off.

This post makes no sense what so ever .
Killing off some of the main chars for no reason is stupid plus they are need for certain parts of the manga.

gundamkyoukai said:
This is one of the things i love about One Piece i don't need to see the crew train or need a detail explanation for some things .

Gonna agree with this, in a lot of shonen series training arcs become an incredible drag that take away from the adventure.

There are obvious exceptions I'm sure, but I don't see how adding a whole bunch of training segments would concievably improve the flow and fun of One Piece.

FlyingTeacup said:

How often has One Piece had a moment like this?

Answer:ONCE.

Randomly killing off characters just because you don't like the formula of the latest chapter? How incredibly short-sighted.

gundamkyoukai said:
This post makes no sense what so ever .
Killing off some of the main chars for no reason is stupid plus they are need for certain parts of the manga.

i'm not suggesting to kill off some characters for no apparent reason. ace got killed off in a big way, no? the white beard arc is so much better partly because of the character development and that arc is luffy-centric. I thought oda might killed one or two off during sabaody arc.

Neoriceisgood said:
How often has One Piece had a moment like this?

Answer:ONCE.

Randomly killing off characters just because you don't like the formula of the latest chapter? How incredibly short-sighted.

yeah once to a supporting character very central to luffy.

this is not just about the latest chapter. some of these characters are "just there". too many yamcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom