• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

As for someone's who just getting back into manga, what regularly updated series should I not miss? Those 50+ lists sound nice, but I am not up for so many series right now.

I've been reading and enjoying series such as Freezing, Unbalance x Unbalance, Cage of Eden, Air Gear, Vinland Saga, Beelzebub, Futari Ecchi, Good Ending, HSOTD, Kimi no Iru Machi, Nana to Kaoru and Hajime no Ippo recently.

Also, I'd like it if it wasn't an unwieldy long shounen series such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece or Conan.
If you read Dal-Young then you have to read Legend of Maian and Onihime Vs. Then try Blood Lad and Love Collage.
I rather the dude goes back to drawing doujins or something.
What story?

Plot: zombies

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of what I read when I first began reading manga, so I have no idea how many and which series I've read. :(

It's nice to see a new thread!

El Sloth

Banned
As for someone's who just getting back into manga, what regularly updated series should I not miss? Those 50+ lists sound nice, but I am not up for so many series right now.

I've been reading and enjoying series such as Freezing, Unbalance x Unbalance, Cage of Eden, Air Gear, Vinland Saga, Beelzebub, Futari Ecchi, Good Ending, HSOTD, Kimi no Iru Machi, Nana to Kaoru and Hajime no Ippo recently.

Also, I'd like it if it wasn't an unwieldy long shounen series such as Naruto, Bleach, One Piece or Conan.
If by regularly updated you mean weekly, then I I'm going to second the Silver Spoon recommendation and also The World God Only Knows and Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. Sket Dance as well if you need more comedy stuff.

No idea, it was just there in my /a/ folder

Mother of Zeus

That's why I avoid reading incomplete manga series right now unless I really really need to read them or to jump on a bandwagon like Magi

Wowz

I count 42 manga on my lists that are on those two. But them some seriously long lists.

Semen
-Covered Pirate Leila

Oh man. I don't have the drive to keep mine updated but mine says 130 reading and 40 completed. Both are way off.

I see some of you are new to flawfuls LOL

as for the other manga i read, it will be annoying to try and remember them all.

I'd much prefer if the author goes back to drawing doujins or something.

Indeed.

Glass Rebel

So, I will start Shingeki no Kiyojin or however you spell it today. If it's not good, someone will have some explaining to do.

Cwarrior

lmao tlr is top 10? It has begun~

Man I always forget that Air Gear is still going on. It's like boobs, obama, metaphors to flight/wings/feathers etc, crazy attacks powered by nonsense science.

They do draw some pretty fine boobs though.

I tried to read air gear once my reaction was like this for every panel

4SSF

Never has there been that much concentration of nonsense any where in the universe at one time, that takes a crazy amount of talent and drugs.

Currently reading

Berserk
RRR
bleach
naruto

on hold

Fairy tale
magi
advance of the giants
Hunter x hunter

It would be helpful to put the names of the top 10 into the OP. Covers and nice and all, but I really don't know the second last one.

Zekes!

Much thanks to the people who recommended Magi in the last thread; I've been really enjoying it so far. I also went and checked out To Love Ru Darkness, 'cause TLR used to be a (shameful) guilty pleasure of mine years ago, and apparently still is, fuck.

I've also been slowly reading Saturn Apartments since last year, when I picked up the first volume in a small bookstore. Has anyone else read it? It seems a little unknown, but maybe that's just me.

Also stoked for Vertical's omnibus of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo that comes out in a couple weeks.

survivor

Banned
I've also been slowly reading Saturn Apartments since last year, when I picked up the first volume in a small bookstore. Has anyone else read it? It seems a little unknown, but maybe that's just me.

I bought the first 3 volumes few weeks ago. Only read the first two so far and it's pretty great series. Gonna grab the 4th volume when the 5th one is out in the upcoming months.

I believe flawfuls is a big fan of the series.

gunbo13

I tried to read air gear once my reaction was like this for every panel

Never has there been that much concentration of nonsense any where in the universe at one time, that takes a crazy amount of talent and drugs.
Snakeyes is going to get you.

flawfuls

Yeah it is goddamn brilliant.

Also stoked for Vertical's omnibus of Osamu Tezuka's Dororo that comes out in a couple weeks.

Dororo was alright, but not really top tier Tezuka. It had potential, but Tezuka dropped it too early.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I've never heard of Magi, that Aladdin themed manga. Is it really that popular?

I would say it's not particularly popular (which isn't to say it's unpopular-i believe it sells well), but right now it's the current flavor of the month in mangaf, so it's getting a lot of discussion.

Verelios

Negima- End

Fuck this. No, fuck this shit Akamatsu. Seriously? I was down with you since chapter 1. Hell, I bought volumes 1-21 as they came out just to show support, even though it started going to shit in volume 14. But wow. Just wow. Really!? Who saw last weeks chapter and expected this? I wanted some Love Hina type satisfaction at least but- yeah, I guess not.

Thought we were bros.

Articalys

Mahou Sensei Negima 355 (END)

oh my god

fuck you ken akamatsu

notlikethisy5kbt.gif

(sorry I missed the rage earlier but I was waiting for a completely translated chapter before commenting)

gunbo13

I'm surprised people gave a shit who Negi liked. The romance sub-plot was always awful. Negima was only good for big elemental battles with lots of latin words and a bunch of fan-service.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ha. I've made the wall of honor every thread.

Reading: (In order of preference)
Osu!! Karatebu
Bleach
Berserk
Hunter X Hunter (though that last chapter seemed like a series end.)
Battle Angel Alita Last Order
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
Hajime No Ippo
Naruto
Ubel Blatt
One Piece

Articalys

I'm surprised people gave a shit who Negi liked. The romance sub-plot was always awful. Negima was only good for big elemental battles with lots of latin words and a bunch of fan-service.
My rage towards the non-resolution of the romance aspects is only a very small fraction of my overall hate. The single most offending thing they did was defeating the Lifemaker and rescuing Nagi OFFSCREEN.
There is no way he ended this series voluntarily, and if he did, I hope he never finds success as a mangaka again.

Negima 355

As much as I expected to be let down, I suppose this wasn't as bad as it could have been. At least it's certainly nowhere near Mx0 or Double Arts levels of disappointing endings... :(

The shounen parts were why I really liked Negima, personally.

And honestly, the chapters leading up to the ending sucked but the ending itself? I really liked it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
My rage towards the non-resolution of the romance aspects is only a very small fraction of my overall hate. The single most offending thing they did was defeating the Lifemaker and rescuing Nagi OFFSCREEN.
There is no way he ended this series voluntarily, and if he did, I hope he never finds success as a mangaka again.

You know, considering the past difficulties he's had with editors, he might have ended it intentionally just to avoid being strung along in a direction he didn't want to go.

You know, considering the past difficulties he's had with editors, he might have ended it intentionally just to avoid being strung along in a direction he didn't want to go.

I think he had beef with Kodansha, considering he dropped his contract with them abruptly last month and asked for the original copies to all of his work back from them.

That would explain the rush to the ending, and the off-screen Lifemaker fight (which I wanted to see, dammit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom